September 2, 2014 | 1105 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Lustre - Retrospeck

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2012 12:34:00 PM More reviews by sugamonkey

I'm Asian with yellow undertones, NC30 and dark brown hair and eyes. This is THE perfect highlight color for a brown/gold/black smokey eye, I have Vanilla, Vapor, Shroom, Ricepaper, Vex and maybe a few others but they didn't quite hit the mark. In comes Retrospeck! this gives my eyes that soft glow. It has a hint of gold that blends beautifully into my skintone and my crease color (charcoal brown, cork or wedge).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2012 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

This is a nice subtle gold with a greenish tint. Works well on pale skin, but I bet this would barely show up on skin tones darker than N25. I use it when I want something subtle, but I doubt I would buy again. Not a necessary addition to a makeup collection.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2012 8:35:00 PM More reviews by Hippiejessie

I love this eyeshadow! You can use it with every color eyeshadow under the sun! I put in on my inner corner and under brow. It's the best highlighter. It's not orange and not too yellow. If this ever gets discontinued I'll but them up!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2012 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Annushka

Retrospeck was what i was looking for in naked lunch, all that glitters (i love this regardless), honey lustre, ricepaper and arena lol it took me this long to find it.
it is was more easier to apply than the conventional lustre eyeshadow. no where near as much fall off as honey luster and another MAC luster that i own (mind black- cant recall the name right now)
it looks ugly in the pan which is why i never tried it, but i was fooled big time.
it is a champage tinted eyeshadow that shows up as a cream/near white shimmer on my nc35 skin. when you pat it on your eye with a brush (using MAC 229) the colour pay off is again better than other lustres that i own. If i put too much on me, it looks like a white almost, so you can build the intensity much better than again, other lustres and better than MOTIF and PARADISCO (which are not lustres). a nice light application on my lid would be perfect for the day.
i can imagine this going with every eyeshadow i own, it looked great with patina. It also looked good with FIG 1 when i tried that, thats how far i got with testing it out. doing a smokey eye with this will be so much fun, i cant wait for the next time i step out clubbing.
$12 for the pro-pan as i own a palette.
would buy again if i ever ran out.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2012 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Jane1234

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this eyeshadow because I think the colour is beautiful! However, it doesn't really matter since it barely shows up on my eyelid. I keep going back to it thinking that is will magically show up but it never does. I really wish they had made this in a “frost” finish and not a Lustre finish.

I have one other lustre finish called Tempting which although I do like I have to admit it’s not the smoothest eyeshadow but because the shade is much darker it works alright. I find both these Lustre finishes “chunky” and the colour doesn't go on nicely. Going forward I will definitely steer clear of the Lustre finishes.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2012 1:35:00 PM More reviews by starviolet01

Mac's retrospeck is the newist addition to my mac e/s collection! I love how unique the color is, a neutral brown-ish gold with yellow undertones. I would've never picked out the color for myself, but when the mac artist put it on my arm, and fell in love! This e/s does have pros and cons. Pros: It's a beautiful unique, wearable color. I love putting it all over the lid. Cons: Since it is a lustre, it does have some chunky glitters in it, and it isn't as smooth and buttery as the veluxe pearl finishes. The pigmentation is so-so, however, you can definetely build up the color! My overall opinion of this shadow is the color is amazing but the formulation isn't my favorite.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2011 11:08:00 AM More reviews by tring010

This eyeshadow is a lustre finish so the pigmentation is not as strong as other MAC finishes. That being said, the pigmentation of this eyeshadow is just the right amount so that a lovely wash of gold can be worn. Of course it can be packed on to give a stronger look.
Very shimmery. I would definitely repurchase

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2011 10:00:00 PM More reviews by xmakemeoverx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gold eye shadows have always been a hit or miss for me because they usually have so much yellow in them that it doesn't flatter my skin tone. I've used Urban Decay's half baked eye shadow and that looked fine, but it wasn't spectacular. It flattered my friend more because the gold was a nice contrast with her light blue eyes. When I was at the MAC store, this color was highly recommended because it's an easy neutral that can easily transition from day to night. It's also a shadow that can flatter warm and cool tone skins. I'll admit I was more jazzed about my satin taupe shadow more so than this and even though that's still the case, this color certainly didn't disappoint. Retrospeck is a soft light gold with hints of pearl to it, which makes the color less yellow (something I try to avoid), therefore meshing well with my skin tone. It's a satiny finish and can easily be built up, if you're looking for a more dramatic look. It's also an easy neutral that can be used for a more natural look, if you're someone who doesn't like to wear too much eye makeup or a color to use to brighten your eyes. I use it on my lids and in the crease, when I'm wearing a lighter color eye shadow. If anything, it brings out a warmth in my eye color that doesn't usually appear when I'm wearing other colors. It's a good staple for anyone to have in their makeup stash. While it's not my favorite shadow that I own, it certainly does its job of making my eyes appear larger and giving them a depth, without having to pile on a lot of the product. It's definitely worth trying for anyone that's looking for a gold that's more on the subtle side.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2011 3:42:00 PM More reviews by makeupphd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this color!! I have so many MAC eyeshadows I hesitated to buy this one bc it looks chunky in the pan- boy am i glad i finally caved in! its a pretty white/gold shimmery color that is super complementary on my light tan/olive skin!! I think it comes in second after woodwinked which is my all time fave. I wear it during daytime just on my lid, but i can see myself wearing it for a night out as a sparkly highlighter. although the glitter particles look chunky in the pan, they dont fall out if you tap the excess off your brush before applying. I doubt I'll run out of this anytime soon since eyeshadows last so long, but I will def repurchase once I do. gorgeous!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2011 11:24:00 PM More reviews by Belle_de_Jour

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This seems to be such an overlooked gem--a perfect shimmery neutral.