MAC Lustre - Retrospeck

4.2

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My favorite shimmery lid color. It's hard to describe. Sometimes, it's a pale gold, and sometimes it looks more taupey? LOL but it's a gorgeous lid color. A lot of people don't like lustre eyeshadows, and I usually don't either but this color is amazing. It's not as bad as the other lustres, i find

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Gorgeous shadow, makes my eyes look glamorous. Pair it with Club or Satin Taupe and you're good to go. Also love it with Coquette or Kid, and Ruby Woo for the perfect retro look.

it's a nice color to wear alone for summer but the fallout is eeeeeeeeeeek!! every time i dab my brush into the shadow the glitters fly everywhere and would transfer into the next pan in my palette, i had to rearrange my shadows so that the glitters from retrospeck won't affect my matte shades.

also it can appear quite powdery on the lids if you apply too much on.

I have been using this eyeshadow since I was in high school. It was my first makeup splurge. I haven't used it in a while after I dropped it and it broke apart so it got pushed to the deep corners of my makeup bag. I just repurchased it today along with Fig 1 and I'm super excited to have it back in my everyday rotation! Love it!

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Retrospeck is a sparkly white gold with a beige gold colour base. when you apply it, you can only really see the sparkly gold colour, but when you clean your brush off, you can see that its noticeably a caramel gold colour. it really is beautiful. this acts to me, exactly the same way as 'Tempting' (also a Lustre) in the sense that they both have darker colour bases than their sparkly overlayer.
before i purchased this, i asked the MAC girl if this was worth getting and if it had good colour payoff or not. she hesitated and said because it's a Lustre, it's not so much a block of colour, but a gold sparkle. she also said that this was one of the best selling colours. so i tried it.
i want to share how i wear this colour, but first i want to get to one big con about this colour. it's very hard to get any on the brush! you have to spend a significant amount of time going back and forth with your brush from colour to lid, colour to lid, but the most important thing is, that you can eventually build it up and get a decent layer! you just have to be patient. i personally think this shade is worth the hassle. just make sure you use a bit of a dense brush, like a flat shader brush, or a crease brush. just nothing too fluffy otherwise it will pick up nothing!
so now on to how i use this! i have fair mediterranean skintone and this is a shade i find i have to apply from lid to brow to get the best result. it looks great with darker colours in the crease and outer corner, but what i love to do most at the moment is to use this as a base colour for my usual lid colour. so with colours like 'Tempting', 'Mulch', and 'Satin Taupe', it provides a base that allows me to pack these colours more freely on to my lid, because it breaks up a lot of darkness that they might have worn alone as lid colours. it also provides a hint of sparkle which is always nice! THEN i like to add my crease colours! this for me at the moment serves the purpose of Bare Study paint pot. this also looks really beautiful with 'Tempting' packed over it, because they both really sparkle together and create this golden brown glimmer.
i definitely think this is worth the awkwardness! i have reached for it everyday since buying it!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm Asian with yellow undertones, NC30 and dark brown hair and eyes. This is THE perfect highlight color for a brown/gold/black smokey eye, I have Vanilla, Vapor, Shroom, Ricepaper, Vex and maybe a few others but they didn't quite hit the mark. In comes Retrospeck! this gives my eyes that soft glow. It has a hint of gold that blends beautifully into my skintone and my crease color (charcoal brown, cork or wedge).

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is a nice subtle gold with a greenish tint. Works well on pale skin, but I bet this would barely show up on skin tones darker than N25. I use it when I want something subtle, but I doubt I would buy again. Not a necessary addition to a makeup collection.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this eyeshadow! You can use it with every color eyeshadow under the sun! I put in on my inner corner and under brow. It's the best highlighter. It's not orange and not too yellow. If this ever gets discontinued I'll but them up!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Retrospeck was what i was looking for in naked lunch, all that glitters (i love this regardless), honey lustre, ricepaper and arena lol it took me this long to find it.
it is was more easier to apply than the conventional lustre eyeshadow. no where near as much fall off as honey luster and another MAC luster that i own (mind black- cant recall the name right now)
it looks ugly in the pan which is why i never tried it, but i was fooled big time.
it is a champage tinted eyeshadow that shows up as a cream/near white shimmer on my nc35 skin. when you pat it on your eye with a brush (using MAC 229) the colour pay off is again better than other lustres that i own. If i put too much on me, it looks like a white almost, so you can build the intensity much better than again, other lustres and better than MOTIF and PARADISCO (which are not lustres). a nice light application on my lid would be perfect for the day.
i can imagine this going with every eyeshadow i own, it looked great with patina. It also looked good with FIG 1 when i tried that, thats how far i got with testing it out. doing a smokey eye with this will be so much fun, i cant wait for the next time i step out clubbing.
$12 for the pro-pan as i own a palette.
would buy again if i ever ran out.

I really wanted to like this eyeshadow because I think the colour is beautiful! However, it doesn't really matter since it barely shows up on my eyelid. I keep going back to it thinking that is will magically show up but it never does. I really wish they had made this in a “frost” finish and not a Lustre finish.

I have one other lustre finish called Tempting which although I do like I have to admit it’s not the smoothest eyeshadow but because the shade is much darker it works alright. I find both these Lustre finishes “chunky” and the colour doesn't go on nicely. Going forward I will definitely steer clear of the Lustre finishes.

Top Rated MAC Products