December 18, 2014 | 1614 users online

Lips - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain (All Shades)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Videotapeses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I own this is #4 Mauve. It's not a color I would pick for myself but I do love how unique the color is. When I first smelled it, it was kind of disgusting, wine and medicinal smell like cough syrup. Now I LOVE the smell. The pigment comes on a little strong so I blot mine after applying, I will definitely purchase these in some more colors.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have this is shade 27, which is a perfect peachy nude on me. I love it so much! It starts out with a lovely glossy look, but after the gloss wears off, the color is still there. This is beautiful for a bridal makeup, in my opinion.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/1/2014 4:21:00 AM More reviews by SarahLynn21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I purchased this 8 months ago in #4 mauve pigmente after someone working at Sephora recommended it to me when I told her I was looking for a long lasting lip color. At $38 Canadian I really wanted to like it but other then hating the color she recommended I found that I also strongly dislike the product itself. The color I ended up with is considerably darker when you're wearing it then it appears to be in the bottle and on their website so I'm not sure why she thought it would suit someone with fair skin like myself.

As for the product; it smells very strongly of both grapes and an assortment of different flowers which you'd think would fade after applying it but it manages to last as long as the product remains on your lips. For someone with a strong sense on smell and who avoids wearing any perfume or even most hair products this was a large negative factor for me. It was so bad actually that my fiance who also hates perfumes noticed it and reacted negatively towards it. Another negative for me was how glossy this was, I expected it to not feel as sticky after an hour but it remained that way without me reapplying it once. I've heard people say the opposite and I imagine that if you're someone who likes to wear lip gloss this might not feel as sticky on your lips compared to other products. Personally I like to kiss my significant other and drink from a glass without having this transfer on to anything it touches. Which leads me to my final two points; it certainly didn't last very long, after having a few sips of water it was completely gone from the center of my lips. This surprised me for something that claims to be a lip stain. Finally it actually bled a bit on my lower lip and left little lines downward almost immediately after applying it which honestly is crazy in this price range.

To summarize: I would not recommend this especially in darker colors as it bleeds, anyone who hates strongly scented products will hate this and be aware this is a gloss not a stain like it claims to be so it will come off very easily. The only possible positive other then the packaging was that it didn't dry out my lips. All in all how does this cost nearly $40?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2013 11:13:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese, yellow toned.

NEVER FAILS TO GET A COMPLIMENT WHEN WEARING #10 (it's the perfect red for my yellow toned skin). I recently was an all day presenter at work, and at the end of the day, one girl raised her hand to provide feedback... crazy enough, it was on how beautiful my lipstick was. :D

EDIT 01/14 FIXING PATCHINESS: As my gloss ages, I notice the patchiness gets worse and worse. Today I went to Ulta and swatched any tester that was avail to see if I can dupe the color... I ended up walking away w/ Stila's All Day Liquid Lipstick in Fiery (dude this stuff was seriously tough to remove off my lips). Stila's Fiery is looking seriously awesome (alone) and also under YSL GS#10... think this will solve the patchy problem for when I want those glossy liquid looking lips.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by Kayraven

This lip stain is absolutely fabulous! The packaging is luxe, color selection and payoff is bang on wonderful, does not dry out my lips, so long-lasting I could go a full 6 hrs with this, much longer if you won't eat.
This goes on matte on me, dries quickly, does not settle into lines or bleed all over the mouth.
TIP: The trick is to apply a generous amount to get opaque coverage and wait until it dries (do not press your lips together or top with another layer before it dries completely).
I am absolutely in love with the coral orange of shade #8 Orange de Chine which is great for spring/summer season. However, it looks horrible on very fair skin. I am NW15 and if I have no tan or bronzer it looks terrible. So I would not use it unless the skintone is NW/NC 25 (at least 20 with a bunch of bronzer). And I go sheer with it applying quite sparingly.
I also have the #14 Fuchsia Dore which is a raspberry fuchsia pink which looks beautiful in the bottle and lovely on first application HOWEVER after 30-40 minutes this shade becomes SO dark on me that I swear it's nearly purple-black (dark berry to be modest). Given that I have very fair procelain skin I look like a vampy goth teen. Which is a shame because the shade is flattering and beautiful but I absolutely can not wear it.
The stain is wonderful, however quite pricey. Love the packaging and one of my shades. BUT some shades may change in color/depth with wear.
Would not purchase because I am switching to cruelty-free.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 1:09:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had been eying this gloss stain at Sephora for about six months, and today, I decided to purchase it with the remainder of my store credit. So far, I'm happy that I did.
The shade I purchased was #1 - Violet Edition. I have been looking for deep, reddened purples to add to my collection, and since I have about 50 matte lipsticks, I thought adding a gloss would be a fun change.
It is quite liquidy (which was not the case of the tester at Sephora, which had clearly been sitting for a while and had time to get gummy and apply patchy), and takes a couple coats to reach opacity. The first coat results in a deep berry wash which is gorgeous for my skin tone. The second coat is where this product really shines. It's semi-opaque, delivering a stunning dark purple, glossy color (think of the darkest merlot you've ever seen). The texture is quite nice - not tacky or slippery. I cannot tell yet if this will be drying, but it doesn't seem to be right off the bat, and I can normally tell if something will chap my lips within just a few minutes of putting it on.
Application does take some getting used to. Since I've been using the Physician's Formula gloss stain for some time now, the shape of the applicator doesn't bother me. On this, however, the wand is quite flimsy, and paired with the liquid formula, it's quite hard to get control. I've found using a light hand and several passes helps in terms of even, non-shaky application.
The packaging is gorgeous. YSL is obviously a super luxury brand, and their packaging is always quite elegant.
The price is staggering. While I love the product, and would be interested in finding out how the other colors perform, I'm not sure I can justify making this kind of a purchase again for one lip color.
The scent is odd. It smells like a dark wine. It's not offensive or particularly unpleasant, but it is quite strong.

EDIT 12/4: Okay, this stuff is amazing. My lips retained an amazing amount of pigment for hours, it didn't feather, and there was barely any transfer on my coffee mug. After wiping off the gloss, the stain remained - deep and berry-hued. And my lips feel so hydrated after having this on all day that I can hardly deal. Perhaps a trip back to Sephora for a nice bright red is in order...

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by misscoutureland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried these in no7 and number 11.

pros: Formula glides on easy, the gloss does not leave any stickiness on the lips, colours are beautiful and rich.

cons: not quite as long lasting as i would hope considering the price. The red stains the lips more then the no 7, coral does. Will definitely need touch ups after food/drink.

Despite this i would still repurchase because it leaves such a beautiful finish, it always makes me feel great when i am wearing it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by missjc75

Posted my last review accidentally before I had finished. Anyway, I have #10 which is a beautiful bright red with the best staying power of any lip gloss i've ever tried, only problem being that that there are still traces left after i've washed my face (twice) at the end if the day! Otherwise, a great buy and gorgeous packaging.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 7:40:00 PM More reviews by blacksheep6293

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Hmm I'm still really undecided on this.
I purchased this in an unassuming colour, Corail Cerra-Colla #27, a peachy pinky colour in the tube.
I had initially tried the L'Oreal version which was unimpressive. It was watery, not long lasting and expensive. I guess I just purchased this for the hype.

This glossy stain turns from a peachy pink to a light tangerine which is not what I was expecting. It stains the lips decently and the gloss is mild, not super shiny but more balmy.

Wear time for a gloss is decent, it will last through a big coffee and maybe something small but no meals or anything.
Its not moisturising but it doesn't dry my lips out either like some reviewers.
The scent is kind of soapy to me, not sure where people are getting rotting fruit.
I'm just not wowed by this given all the reviews. There are ordinary glosses that could give the same effect for much less than $50 AUD.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 9:41:00 AM More reviews by basmah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this product in two colors, #10 and #12. #10 is a beautiful red, while #12 is a reddish coral on me. The formula of these products is amazing. While applying them, they feel almost watery. On the lips, they become thicker, with a beautiful glossy finish (but not too shiny). #10 lasts forever on me, it just does not budge and stays on while eating and drinking. #12 is not as long lasting though, it tends to fade a lot quicker and does not stay as well during eating or drinking. I would definitely repurchase #10 and am interested in trying other colors from the range, but I do think it was worth pointing out that not all colors in the range perform equally well.