April 20, 2014 | 1978 users online

Lips - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain (All Shades)

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 1:09:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had been eying this gloss stain at Sephora for about six months, and today, I decided to purchase it with the remainder of my store credit. So far, I'm happy that I did.
The shade I purchased was #1 - Violet Edition. I have been looking for deep, reddened purples to add to my collection, and since I have about 50 matte lipsticks, I thought adding a gloss would be a fun change.
It is quite liquidy (which was not the case of the tester at Sephora, which had clearly been sitting for a while and had time to get gummy and apply patchy), and takes a couple coats to reach opacity. The first coat results in a deep berry wash which is gorgeous for my skin tone. The second coat is where this product really shines. It's semi-opaque, delivering a stunning dark purple, glossy color (think of the darkest merlot you've ever seen). The texture is quite nice - not tacky or slippery. I cannot tell yet if this will be drying, but it doesn't seem to be right off the bat, and I can normally tell if something will chap my lips within just a few minutes of putting it on.
Application does take some getting used to. Since I've been using the Physician's Formula gloss stain for some time now, the shape of the applicator doesn't bother me. On this, however, the wand is quite flimsy, and paired with the liquid formula, it's quite hard to get control. I've found using a light hand and several passes helps in terms of even, non-shaky application.
The packaging is gorgeous. YSL is obviously a super luxury brand, and their packaging is always quite elegant.
The price is staggering. While I love the product, and would be interested in finding out how the other colors perform, I'm not sure I can justify making this kind of a purchase again for one lip color.
The scent is odd. It smells like a dark wine. It's not offensive or particularly unpleasant, but it is quite strong.

EDIT 12/4: Okay, this stuff is amazing. My lips retained an amazing amount of pigment for hours, it didn't feather, and there was barely any transfer on my coffee mug. After wiping off the gloss, the stain remained - deep and berry-hued. And my lips feel so hydrated after having this on all day that I can hardly deal. Perhaps a trip back to Sephora for a nice bright red is in order...

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by misscoutureland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried these in no7 and number 11.

pros: Formula glides on easy, the gloss does not leave any stickiness on the lips, colours are beautiful and rich.

cons: not quite as long lasting as i would hope considering the price. The red stains the lips more then the no 7, coral does. Will definitely need touch ups after food/drink.

Despite this i would still repurchase because it leaves such a beautiful finish, it always makes me feel great when i am wearing it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by missjc75

Posted my last review accidentally before I had finished. Anyway, I have #10 which is a beautiful bright red with the best staying power of any lip gloss i've ever tried, only problem being that that there are still traces left after i've washed my face (twice) at the end if the day! Otherwise, a great buy and gorgeous packaging.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 7:40:00 PM More reviews by blacksheep6293

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Hmm I'm still really undecided on this.
I purchased this in an unassuming colour, Corail Cerra-Colla #27, a peachy pinky colour in the tube.
I had initially tried the L'Oreal version which was unimpressive. It was watery, not long lasting and expensive. I guess I just purchased this for the hype.

This glossy stain turns from a peachy pink to a light tangerine which is not what I was expecting. It stains the lips decently and the gloss is mild, not super shiny but more balmy.

Wear time for a gloss is decent, it will last through a big coffee and maybe something small but no meals or anything.
Its not moisturising but it doesn't dry my lips out either like some reviewers.
The scent is kind of soapy to me, not sure where people are getting rotting fruit.
I'm just not wowed by this given all the reviews. There are ordinary glosses that could give the same effect for much less than $50 AUD.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 9:41:00 AM More reviews by basmah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this product in two colors, #10 and #12. #10 is a beautiful red, while #12 is a reddish coral on me. The formula of these products is amazing. While applying them, they feel almost watery. On the lips, they become thicker, with a beautiful glossy finish (but not too shiny). #10 lasts forever on me, it just does not budge and stays on while eating and drinking. #12 is not as long lasting though, it tends to fade a lot quicker and does not stay as well during eating or drinking. I would definitely repurchase #10 and am interested in trying other colors from the range, but I do think it was worth pointing out that not all colors in the range perform equally well.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2013 6:09:00 PM More reviews by takenu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm actually really disappointed with these. I didn't buy the full size bottle but tried out a 3 color sample that came with a sephora order. I was very impressed with the pigmentation, and the 3 shades i tried were all very pretty and wearable. (I tried number 7, 9, and 11). HOWEVER, these did not stain my lips at all. Usually even a lipstick will leave some sort of a stain on your lips. But this was actually one of the least staining products i have ever tried, even though most of the lip products i have tried weren't even intended to stain. If I had actually paid for these, I would have been kind of upset to pay $34 for a product with the word 'stain' in its name that didn't even stain. I have the revlon kissable balm stain, and that thing lasts and lasts and lasts. Once I blot my lips it doesn't leave any color on whatever my lips touch. So i know there are products out there that will actually can leave a nice stain but this one didn't.

I didn't really like the formula either. It was very thick and gooey, and I prefer something a little lighter feeling. This transferred like crazy on whatever my lips touched. My coffee mug has a ring of lip marks on it from this and wherever food or an eating utensil touched, all pigment was lost (some people were saying that it didnt transfer so i wanted to test it out). There was actually a distinct line between where my natural lip color where the glossy stain had come off, and where the glossy stain remained. I felt like this left way more transfer marks on whatever my lips touched than any of the other lip glosses ive tried.

It seems like im one of the few people here who didnt like it, though. Honestly, if this had just been called a lip gloss, i would have been satisfied with it (but probably not bought it since i dont think theres anything special about it besides the pigmentation and i dont like how thick it is). But it did not leave any stain at all (my lips have probably slightly more than average pigmentation on their own) and didn't live up to its name.

So, in short, the positives were that it was very pigmented and the colors were pretty. But the negatives were that it didn't stain at all, and i didn't like the thick gooey formula.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2013 4:16:00 PM More reviews by misslizzybee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have always preffered lip stains over lipsticks. This is THE BEST lip stain I have ever found. One application is all I need, I use no.9 color. It is a beautiful red, the best red Ive found for my skin tone. The stain feels velvety, and if it comes off at all after long day, it wears off evenly and stains my lips a lovely punch color. I adore this lippie, and it is now the only lippie I will purchase. Ive heard one tube can last you 6mo, which is worth the price ($34 i believe). Also, this stain is VERY pleasant smelling :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2013 2:18:00 PM More reviews by dempsterstreet

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I finally treated myself after hearing AAAALLL about these glosses all over the interwebs...
And I do love it, it's brilliant. I have it in the colour 11 which is a good cool red/pink on me. It's festive, extremely glam but can also be casual, if you apply it thinly and leave it to set as a stain. The decadent, chunky YSL bottle is lovely, even though I find the doe-foot sponge thingy takes a wee bit of getting used to...
I personally think a few coats are the best, wait for a minute or two for each layer to dry and you get a bright, glossy laquered lip that flashes brilliantly in photos and stays on surprisingly long. However, it still didn't quite live up to the reputation of food-and drink-proof.
Talk-proof, yes, but not quite the perfect unbudgeable coating I'd hoped for. But, it is certainly a beautiful (I don't mind the weirdish smell, I quite like it, it makes putting lip gloss on seem sciency :-)) and even when the top coat has gone you're still left with a very pretty squashed-berry smudge which I like a lot.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2013 11:27:00 AM More reviews by 3110hello

I own two of these and have had them for over six months. At first I wasn't sure whether they really were worth the money, however, as time has passed I have become more and more of a fan. I apply one coat to my lips and wait until that dries and then apply a second coat. The color is true and it wears extremely well. Since I like gloss, I usually add a little to my lower middle lip and I am good to go. The gloss adds dimension - and makes these prettier, I think.

One of the things I most like (since I am not one of those gals who reapplies lipstick often) is that I can throw one of these in my bag and reapply after a meal and otherwise I have nice defined lips for hours.

... very expensive and so an investment, but mine are still going strong and I use them all the time.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2013 8:17:00 AM More reviews by brindadhillon

i love it! i love the feeling of it on my lips! its not at all sticky and doesn't even feel thick too. i have it in number 8 which is orange kind of colour. but i dont know it doesnt last on my lips once i start eating!!! its a stain so it should last whole day for its price. it is expensive but the staying power is poor plus it doesnt even stain my lips. for the time its on my lips looks amazing and feels amazing plus i love the colour also.