February 1, 2015 | 1108 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by hbeautygirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really really wanted to like this product. I have heard so many great things about this foundation. As many have said, maybe 5 years ago it was amazing, but not anymore.

I have pretty dry/chapped skin especially in the winter. This made my dry spots VERY visible even with a moisturizer and primer underneath. It had little coverage. I have decent skin. I have redness, a few pimples every now and then, and some large pores. I didn't even have that much to cover up yet it didn't even even out my skin tone. I literally tried EVERY way to applicate this stuff. I bought 3 different brushes, tried applying small and larger amounts of the foundation, etc. Nothing worked. I was frustrated to say the least. Some days my skin looked decent and others it looked like i had a powder face on and I had aged 10 years.

On top of these issues, it takes forever to "Swirl, tap, buff". I do not have time in the morning to put primer, foundation, concealer, and mineral veil on in the morning. And having to buff in the foundation for 5 minutes is a nuisance. I would not mind this application process so much if the makeup made my face look presentable. I have no idea what the al the hype is about this product. Returned.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2013 9:18:00 PM More reviews by Fendergrl

The reason why I rated this product one star is because it makes your face look like a porcelain doll. However, bare minerals advertises using this product as a concealer as well. Let me just say I used it to conceal my dark circles and it didn't work at all. I had to use my own separate concealer underneath the foundation, especially on my dark circles. This adds another step to this supposedly "easy, fast application" process. Also, the product will vanish from your skin after a few hours. It doesn't last.

The brushes that come with the kit are horrible. You have to pull the hairs off your face because they will come off the brush as you apply the product. They also get stuck to my eye lashes and in my eyes.

I wouldn't say I LOVE the way my skin looked, but it was okay. It looked soft and porcelain-ish and young I guess. BUT the thing that made me never wanna use this product again , was the fact that after application, my face felt like it was being stabbed by a bunch of little needles and my face became super itchy! I couldn't stop scratching my face!
PLUS, if you take a picture wearing this product, you will look like a ghost. It makes your face look terrible on pictures! I used this product in a formal event where pictures were taken and my face just outshined everyone else's (not in a positive way.)

Also , the product is advertised as not prone to breaking out your skin. This is not true. I developed extremely painful pimples and bumps on my face. They weren't normal pimples , they were hard and you couldn't pop them because they were actually full of blood. This is probably a horrible description but that's the best I can do.

Needless to say , I will never buy this product again. It is horrible for your skin even though its supposedly "mineral make up." $60 down the drain.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2013 9:18:00 AM More reviews by alicebignami

I love how bareMinerals Original foundation evens out my skin tone and covers imperfections without looking obvious. Luckily I am not sensitive to the ingredient bismuth oxychloride so that I have never experienced any irritation. Since I started using this foundation I have actually had fewer clogged pores and breakouts. I find it easy to apply and build up to the desired coverage with a large kabuki brush (an old Chanel kabuki brush that I have owned for nearly ten years). Before applying this foundation I prep my skin with a tiny amount of moisturizer focusing on the drier areas of my face and one pump of bareMinerals oil control primer and I find that this way it feels comfortable and lasts long on my combination skin.

EDIT October 2014:
My favourite brush to apply it is bareMinerals Handy Buki Brush (felt harsh to start with but became soft after a couple of washes).
I usually apply small amounts of powder at a time (half a hole, tapped twice per area) on the different areas of my face (around the eyes, on my cheeks, on my forehead and on my chin). I buff the foundation by GENTLY swirling the brush in circular motion (no need to apply pressure on the skin with the brush).
I must admit that it took me a while to master the application of this foundation. In fact to start with I was using too much product and I was almost scorching my face with the brush ending up with a cakey look on irritated skin!
Now that I have got the technique right I can say that I have found my holy grail foundation. In particular I love the fact that it looks very natural, does not clog my pores and it is very long lasting but super easy to remove with a standard cleanser at the end of the day.
Hope it is useful.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Vanessamucho

Really didn't like this product.

I tried to go out with this and it looked terrible on me.

Maybe I'm more into just concealer & powder, but this product is thick!

You look like you have makeup on, which defeats the purpose of a natural looking, perfect complexion.

Will not rebuy

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2013 12:06:00 AM More reviews by teago

This is one of those products you will either love or hate.

The way I use it is probably the opposite of the percieved way to use a mineral foundation.
I use a fairly rich cream underneath. No primer. Apply with a synthetic brush and do not set with the mineral veil. Thats the only way I can get it to last and the finish is very similar to my favourite Prestige Skin Loving Minerals. A smooth, almost velvety finish with a glow.
It does oxidize eventually, can settle in to lines (but nothing a quick buff with a kabuki cant fix) and if I use it consistently it does clog my pores.
I had tried the Matte version but much prefer the original.
Would I buy it again? Yes. Is it my all time favourite? No.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 11:27:00 AM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Whoah! Just like my mother says, if a product needs to get advertised too much, it's because it SUCKS! And she was right!
I tried this at Sephora thinking about the commercial and how wonderful it would be that all my prayers for an HG foundation were answered.... I was wrong!
Coverage is amazing for a mineral powder, however, this sticks and settles into fine lines and dry patches of skin like NOTHING else. It oxidizes, bleeds when sweating and makes skin itchy. It provokes acne, without a doubt, because it contains a lot of corn starch, which is really a cheap product that's added to almost everything you see on the market today.
Long story short, this sucks. And it's really expensive. Try it out before purchasing, every skin reacts differently to products.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Dahlia70

I initially got this product probably back in 2001 or 2002 with the kit. I liked it and used it for years, then I started getting more into "making myself up" and started researching liquid foundations etc. I'm now a lot older and have more skin issues than ever, mostly fine lines and hyperpigmentation (from melasma and random acne breakouts). I've sort of given up hope of covering it completely and am now just happy to lighten it up a bit. A few months ago i was looking at old pictures (yearning for my good skin lol!) and was trying to figure out what i wore back then. it was BE!

I broke out the container and put some on, i couldnt remember why i put it away in the first place. yes, its messy and probably not as quick to apply. swirl, tap, buff. swirl, tap, buff.
But alas it gives my skin a perfected look, or a "my skin but better look". It lasts thru my 9+hour day without touch ups (even in the summer, amazingly). I use the original formula, appreciate the SPF just wish i could take it with me in my purse without the big mess. (I havent heard great things about the Ready foundation formula).

I don't have the irritation issues with this that a lot of people seem to have but i would recommend this to a friend (and have!).

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2013 5:44:00 PM More reviews by hypnautica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I thought I would give this another try. I tried it about 5yrs ago and hated it then. Anyway the clerk talked me into trying it again. After about 3 days of wear it caused my face to break out in some huge zits. It also does not control oil at all. So from dealing with zits and oil I would never buy this again nor recommend it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2013 12:32:00 AM More reviews by Monyak12

This was my first make up! My aunt gave me the starter kit as a gift for christmas (few years ago). I switched to other brands for more options and then few weeks ago I saw my old starter kit and tried it again and I realize this powder is pretty awesome if you have an oily skin. The only bad thing is..I realized I got the wrong shade! I got the medium tan when I think I should have gotten the Tan shade. Medium Tan was pretty ashy for me.

But overall this stuff is good for people with oily skin lasting power is pretty decent too although its really expensive!! and the packaging is just way too messy to work with

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 4:49:00 PM More reviews by Hellokittysha

Just got the starter kit for my birthday in light. I have good skin NOW thanks to proactiv but have some scarring and redness around nose. I put this on one side of face and it covers great. I even wore it to bed just to see how it looked after rubbing face on pillow etc and it stayed on! So far I like it. Wish it was cheaper but from what I'm told it last forever so your not buying more all the time.