Essence I Love Extreme - Volume Mascara

3.9

on 7/12/2014 2:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this and applied it for 2 days. The first day, my right bottom eyelid started to hurt. I got home and took off my makeup only to realize my eyelids were swollen and I had a weird, tiny white bump on my lash line. The next day, the bump was gone, and my eye wasn't as puffy. I thought I would try it again mainly because it was very effective in the volume department--my sister even told me it looked like I had falsies on. BAD IDEA. My left eyelids decided to join the pain party, and swelled up too, even worse than the right one had. I took off my makeup and even though it has been a few hours since, my left eyelids still hurt and look abnormally puffy. I even applied warm compresses to both my eyes for about 10 minutes each, and used a natural baby soap to make sure it was all gone.

And why aren't ANY of the Essence mascaras sealed for safety at Ulta? That should have been a red flag, but $5 was so reasonable.

I will never purchase any Essence products ever again.

on 7/1/2014 9:48:00 PM

amazing mascara and an amazing price! has great volume !

on 6/27/2014 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this mascara at ulta for a very low price.. It was something like $5. I love it!!!! It makes my eyelashes big and, yeah, kinda sexy. The only downside? It didn't come in packaging... So someone could've easily used it. However I love it enough to put up w that.

on 6/26/2014 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This mascara is really good for volume and length. The formula is on the drier side, thus the tube doesn't last for too long. Also the brush is huge, so its not suitable for lower lashes. It also can get a little clumpy if you don't let the mascara dry between coats, for times when it gets clumpy I use an old mascara brush like the clump crusher brush. When I use this mascara it looks like I have falsies on, it also holds a curl. The only downfall with this mascara is the flaking, and it flakes quite a bit, I might have to see if there's a waterproof version of this mascara. I also wish it was a bit more black, but for the price this is great.

on 6/17/2014 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Very similar to the pink tube but a much bigger brush. Great for top lashes but got messy for bottom ones. Dried quicker than the Jordana one and did give great volume.

on 6/1/2014 8:51:00 PM

Really nice mascara. Not May favourite one from essence but it gets the job done and is very inexpensive.

on 5/15/2014 8:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

EDIT: Upping this to 4 lippies. This has become my daily mascara for the past few months! Somehow it gets better with time, as it dries out. I know we're supposed to toss mascara out frequently, and at the price I wouldn't mind getting another tube even if I feel this still has a lot of 'juice' in it. This costs half of my HG Maybelline mascara.

For comparison, I have recently purchased and tried the I Love Crazy Extreme mascara (pink tube), which is the one everybody seems to love. (My favorite beauty blogger emilynoel, among many others). But I have to say I like the effect of the original I Love Extreme (black tube) better. Chalk it down to personal preference. The problem with the pink tube one is the fine comb-like wand separates my lashes too much, and I find that I need a little bit of clump to get the big, fat lashes I want. For casual days (groceries, errands) I would go with the Crazy Extreme, but for work, when I want a little more drama, I much prefer the I Love Extreme.

Random aside: They look nice next to each other, with the pink and black theme reversed on the other, like a makeup yin and yang. :)

The only problem is still that the fat brush that can get mascara on my lids if I'm not careful. But I've used it so often by now that I already got the hang of how to avoid that - just don't squiggle the brush in too close at the base. Or you could use a mascara shield.

Promoting this to: Yes, I would repurchase.

---

Original review: 5/15/2014 8:41:00 PM

Did not like this much when first used. It was too wet, and the brush was fat and mascara ended up on my lids often. A few weeks later, now that it has dried up a bit, I am quite liking it. Reminds me of the Maybelline Turbo ones I used to have, only this is much cheaper. Price can't be beat. Will probably not repurchase because I still have a few tubes of other mascaras I want to try. I have other Essence mascaras and this one is my go-to one for volume.

on 5/15/2014 4:19:00 PM

This is my favourite cheap mascara. It's nothing revolutionary, but it does not flake, smudge or make my eyes irritated. I have bought this a few times for this reason as I'm not convinced that higher priced mascaras are better quality than lower priced ones, and for a product that I replace every 2-3 months (or whenever I see clumping), I'm happier to pay less for good quality. I still have not found one I love enough to commit to 100%, but this is a definite winner for me. I love that it has a big bristled spoolie (I'm not a fan of the rubberized ones). It does what it ought to do, holds a curl well enough and is easy to remove at the end of the day. Essence also doesn't test on animals.

on 5/13/2014 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I heard good things about this mascara so I picked it up at Ulta. I have it in the pink tube (crazy volume).
This mascara actually makes it looks like I'm wearing false lashes.
My only issue is the formula is kind of thick. I have to scrape excess off the brush so it doesn't clump all over the place. I like it very much and plan to repurchase.

on 5/10/2014 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Simply too wet for me. I would not recommend it for anyone, it's not worth the money even if it's cheap.

Popular Mascaras