December 21, 2014 | 1689 users online

Styling Products - Not Your Mother's - Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2014 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Lauraasti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've tried a pretty good number of sea salt sprays and curling creams/serums/gels/mousse, but this is by far my favorite. I bought the travel size at ulta to give it a try first, but I was sold at first use and went back for the full-size.
My hair is medium/fine and color-treated, naturally a curly/wavy/frizzy mess, especially in the hot summer; some perfect beach waves mixed with out of control curls that sometimes go in all directions, and this stuff puts everything right in order. For the job that it does, I'd expect the price to be much higher-I love that it's so affordable.
I've only ever used it when my hair is dry, so I can't speak for scrunching it in wet or damp hair. If I know it's going to be humid, I usually put a few spritzes of a leave-in conditioner on my hands and smooth it over my hair when it's wet for extra protection, but this does seem to stand up to humidity nicely on it's own.
When I use this spray, I prefer to spray it onto my hands and scrunch it into my hair, rather than spraying it directly on my hair- the curls just seem to be easier to shape and control that way. I find when I spray it directly, my hair gets too wet and the curls look limp and crunchy. The smell is very light, almost nondescript beachy smell that is hardly noticeable after it dries. I really like that because that means I can use it throughout the year without smelling like I just came back from the coconut cabana, like some beach sprays. It's buildable for me, the more I scrunch in, the curlier my hair gets, and it lasts all day/night, though I do spritz on some light hairspray anyway. The curls and waves it produces in my hair are so pretty, and i can work it into casual and professional looking hairstyles and when I put it near my roots, I get a slight boost in volume, too. I have no problems with my hair being crunchy or sticky at all.
The only downside I can think of is that it might dry hair out. I usually get greasy within 24 hours of washing, but when I use this stuff (combined with some teasing, hairspray, or whatever else I incorporate into the hairstyle) I can go over 48 hours without my hair being greasy or flat at all, so if you're on the drier side, I'd keep a good conditioner around or use this stuff sparingly. Overall, I really like this stuff and will definitely be using it a lot in the future!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2014 9:24:00 PM More reviews by liszteria

I'm a big fan of that second-day, almost bedhead look. I have super straight short hair. This is not conducive to a textured, messy look. I bought this on a whim to add some texture and grip to my hair right after it's washed.

Yes, it smells a little strongly of coconut and can give your hair an almost tangly sticky feeling if you use too much, but all in all, this gives really nice texture to my hair. I spray it all over dry hair and then comb through with my fingers. It allows whatever pomade I'm using to grab hold of the hair strands and create a really undone look (in the best way possible).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2014 11:26:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

I put this into my naturally curly hair w good results. I let it air dry. What I do not like is the matte finish. I want my hair to be shiny!! It's a bit sticky, I need to try it with the braids thing b4 bed. It's a fairly useful product to have in your stash though!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2014 12:23:00 AM More reviews by ellablue123

I'm Asian with medium-thick, wavy-straight hair.

AND THIS DID NOT WORK AT ALL. In fact, it made it super tangled, which i hate! this is basically a super-hold hair spray...no difference. I was hoping it would be just salt spray and no hold hair spray, but it honestly makes it so stiff and tangled. Don't use this if you prefer silky smooth hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2014 6:14:00 PM More reviews by harrisonfjord

I want to preface this review by saying my hair is long and naturally wavy.This product is not going to make your hair super wavy by itself; however, it does enhance my natural wave. I spritz this on damp hair and I find it works really well for creating a texturized, summery look. I love the scent of this product (but it does smell like coconuts, so if you are not a fan I would definitely not suggest using this product). In the summer I tend to forgo my straightening iron in favor of the natural, wavy look so this product comes in handy. I couldn't justify spending the money on Bumble and Bumble surf spray, so I'm not sure how it compares, but for a cheapy drugstore purchase I think it works well. The nozzle locks so you can throw it in a gym, beach or travel bag without it leaking everywhere.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 12:22:00 AM More reviews by lunaboo21

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So this stuff is kind of amazing. I have really weird hair where my top layer is like super straight and the bottom layer is really curly but my straight hair never curls EVER on its own so I always have to use heat to curl which kills my hair. This stuff made my top straight hair the same curl as my bottom hair and it looks amazing! I applied the night before and didn't have to do anything to my hair the next day and the curls stayed until I took a shower the next day. I live by this stuff. you won't regret buying it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2014 12:17:00 AM More reviews by 503leitzzz

I really like this stuff. I always love the way my hair looks when I'm at the beach after going in the ocean, and this honestly does make it look very similar. An added bonus is that it helps with my hair getting oily. Without this product my hair is completely disgusting if I go more than 24 hours without washing it, but with this I can make it 2 days if I use enough. The only reason why I didn't give it 5 lippies is because it is a bit drying, I'm assuming the bad reviews are from people with dry hair or something. So if you have a problem with really dry hair this might not be the right product for you. But for those of us who can use it, be sure to use a deep conditioner and/or moisturizing serum for ends.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2014 11:27:00 PM More reviews by abigailrebekah14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Did absolutely nothing to my hair but make it drier. I only use it for the nice coconut scent occasionally.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/23/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by bargain_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

In fairness, I've only tried this product once (recently purchased) but had high expectations based on reviews. It did not make any perceptible difference in creating waves. I sprayed it on damp hair and then pinned it up to try to enhance my hair's natural wave. Didn't appear to do anything really. It's possible that this could be good for people with curly hair. Scent didn't bother me but is certainly noticeable (which is fine if you're not sensitive and enjoy coconut). It also seemed slightly drying. Will try once or twice more to see if it was a first time fluke, but wouldn't really recommend.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2014 3:53:00 AM More reviews by Rachulll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not only did this product not do much of anything in the waves department, it also has the most obtrusive smell i have ever experienced in a hair product. A lot of hair products have perfumes, which I don't usually mind, since even if I don't love them, they don't stick around too long. But good god, this sickly sweet coconut smell will not go away! Even if it gave me beautiful, messy waves, I don't think I could get past the smell. I know a lot of people like sweet coconut scents, so if you want a very pervasive hair perfume, this is the product for you! If you want something to give you beachy texture, this isn't it.