July 28, 2014 | 992 users online

Highlighters - Milani - Illuminating Face Powder

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2012 3:32:00 AM More reviews by Aishteru85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this in Amber Nectar. I wanted to get this because the packaging with the cute roses and the soft colors just sucked me into it. It was meant for use as a bronzer, highlighter and a blush. To be honest, I had watched reviews on this on YT and it was negatively reviewed. I still wanted to try it because the powder is so cute! Anyways, honestly this took quite bit of an effort to get it to show up on my medium-tan skin NC35 to be exact. Worn on top of foundation and powder, it takes at least 6-8 swipes before I notice a color pay off. I use this mainly as a blush cum highlighter.

On my cheeks this shows up peachy-pink with gold sheen, which is beautiful but getting it to show up was a pain. When worn alone on the skin, this took at least 4 swipes to get it to show up. On my sister whose skin is NC20, it took at least 3 swipes before it showed up on her. Pigmentation is quite low on this, and the texture isnt powdery. The good news is that it comes with a large amount of product that will probably last a while. This stayed on for a mere 4 hours before disappearing. This might work as a highlighter for skin deeper than NC35, but for paler girls, this could work as a bronzer.
Would I repurchase, weird but yes....solely because the packaging is too cute to resist, and the color after much effort of layering does show up a beautiful peachy pink with gold sheen, which reminds me of TheBalm Hot Mama blush.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by msog177

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely wonderful powders. I read about them on some makeup blog and decided to give it a shot. I've never had much luck with Milani - their shadows and other products seem too grainy and not of high quality. However, I can't say the same about these powders. I bought this product in two colors - Hermosa Rose and Amber Nectar. Both are quite wonderful. The texture is lovely, sinks right into the skin, doesn't leave a grainy residue, the colors are beautiful. I'm an NC10, and both colors are perfect. Hermosa Rose I use as a bronzer (needs layering, even for my pale skin) and the Amber Nectar is more of a highlighter. I like them so much I think I'll buy the third color as well - it looks like a beautiful pink (called Beauty's Touch). Love these powders, so happy to have found them. They help my acne-ridden pale skin glow.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/28/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by TraceyF1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Bought this a few weeks ago mostly because I was so sucked in by the packaging. I like it. It goes on smoothly and I really like the subtle color. I don't find that it stays on my face all day without touch ups though. That kind of surprised me because my face is on the dry side so I don't tend to have a problem with makeup sliding off. Having said that, it's not a huge deal to reapply so I would purchase it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2012 3:17:00 PM More reviews by BeeBonnet

# 01 Amber Nectar~ To be honest, this little beauty was so attractive it caught my eye although I usually breeze by the Milani displays. For most, ok ALL of my adult life I thought being so fair I was limited to wearing only pink tones. In the past, all the sunkissed peachy or bronzey colors made me feel clownish or "muddy". This one is different.... with a couple of swipes with my stripple blush, this applies like a dream and looks incredibly natural with my light complextion which leans towards cool tones. Today I am wearing it with paired with Milani's "Liquif'eye" aqua liner (makes my hazel eyes POP) and L'Oreal #218 Rose Elixer Lip Balm for a pretty beachy look.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 2:20:00 AM More reviews by bluenote

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Beauty's Touch (the pink/coral one) is a true satin highlighter/blush. I have to use a very dense brush (not a regular blush brush - a kabuki here) to get enough color BUT the result is a very refined, natural looking tint appropriate for work or play. I used to never wear blush and this is a nice compromise between no blush and too much. This is what I wanted Diorblush to be - a hint of color on my cheeks but nothing too distracting.

It doesn't accentuate my pores or make me break out, and the embossing and different colors are wonderful. I love this one so much that I'm tempted to buy the others, even though I don't need any more peach/bronze colors.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2012 6:41:00 PM More reviews by icepunkprincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm a NC10 and I have this in Hermosa Rose. It's an almost bronze color and I really like to use it as a neutral blush. It is shimmery without being sparkly. It shows up wonderfully on my skin. I love the gold packaging, too.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 5:54:00 PM More reviews by tstgirl

Very interesting product. I got this In a swap. Im not in love with the packaging, i find it too bulky but i was curious to try this. On my skin nc30 most cheek products dont make a huge difference in color. The color i get from this reminds me of tarte expose blush. I dont find any illuminating effect but to me illuminating means it has some kind of shimmer in it. I dont see i or maybe its just very minimal. However it is what i wish tarte expose was because expose looked nice but can look muddy on me. This does not. It gives my cheeks a bit of a pinky bronzy warmth without looking like s true bronzer. To sum it up, its like one of those natural looking blushes like mac strada etc. aside from the packaging, i also dont like the scent. To some its a flowery scent but to me, i dont pick up floral but thankfully it does not linger and fades away very quickly so i can tolerate that part. Overall, imo it is a very pretty blush, the design of roses is very pretty, the powder is fine, pigmented, doesnt not look powdery and a great everyday blush.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 9:19:00 PM More reviews by linhle777

This color in pink does not work for me it made my cheeks look off color maybe because this is a cool toned and I am a more warm complexion. Either way it made me looked fake and makeupey. I might try this in another color.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2012 10:38:00 PM More reviews by zuba84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

Ive been eyeing these for a while but havent really felt like I NEEDED one. however now that its getting hotter out my skin is pretty tan on its own and im finding that my bronzers arent really added much pop so I thought id go the other way and try one of these as a highlighter alone. They only has the hermosa rose where I went and I have to say I love it! I put a little along my cheekbones and it really did give my face that beautiful glow where it just looks better and you cant tell why. I didnt even put anything else on. It was subtle but it definitely went easily onto my brush and then showed nicely on my skin. Made my natural tan look even more gorgeous! I would love to give the other colors a try if I find them but this seems to be a winner for now!
As an aside I really dont see how they can get away with saying that this doubles as a bronzer...just as a warning to anyone thinking to use it that way

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2012 2:28:00 PM More reviews by mooseformayor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I saw these for the first time two Saturdays ago at my CVS and held off on picking one up. Then I decided to go back for one a few days ago after carefully scrutinizing a bunch of online swatches. I was initially interested in getting both the Amber Nectar and the Hermosa Rose but restricted myself to just Amber Nectar especially since I'd never tried these before and didn't want to end up with more than one dud on my hands. So I got Amber Nectar and with a $2 off $10 Milani purchase coupon from the little red coupon printer that I was previously given, I was able to get it for $8.66. :D The first couple of times of playing with it, all I did was swatch on my hand. The first time, the back of my hand was still damp from having just washed it and not dried it off completely. I guess that's why the swatch came out decently pigmented. However, when I swatched again a little later, what major disappointment I ran into! Light, light, light. You just could not make out anything! I'm about an NW15 and it was simply impossible to even tell that anything had been applied. The next morning, I decided to actually apply Amber Nectar to my cheeks as blush in hopes that face application would turn out somewhat (if not much) differently than hand swatches the night before did. WRONG! again. It did nothing for my face either. No luminous "your face but better" glow. No pretty blush to speak of. No discernible application of the powder at all. So I brought it back for a refund, very grateful that CVS has a great return policy even on opened/used cosmetics. For the most part, I only eye drugstore cosmetics but very rarely do I actually buy. However, the gorgeous design of the powder (those roses!) was simply irresistible. Plus, I'm a sucker for anything peachy/corally nude when it comes to blush. Amber Nectar, though, was a little *too* nude for my liking. You would honestly have to apply it wet (or possibly with primer) for anything to really show up. Do not recommend.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No