November 20, 2014 | 1909 users online

Moisturizers - Cetaphil - Cetaphil Derma Control Oil Control Moisturizer SPF 30

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by bazzo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A good everyday-wear sunscreen if you don't mind a little bit of oil. I'm not sure what "oil controlling" or "matte" properties there are since when I apply this in the morning, my face remains greasier than normal until I used oil-blotting sheets (I have oily combination skin and blotting lightly doesn't affect SPF protection). While this isn't that big of an issue for me, it's something to take into consideration if you wear make-up.

The packaging is nice and sturdy for travelling; the swivel-lock cap is really nice so you don't accidentally get sunscreen gunk all over your bag. For sun-heavy days, remember to reapply regularly since this isn't resistant like a physical sunscreen. The price is great for what you get - 120ml for 14$ on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart, and is ideal for anyone trying to start a more sunscreen-intensive regime without breaking your wallet.

It moisturizes well, but I'd recommend using a blotting sheet 15 minutes after application to take away the extra oil. I didn't notice any "oil control" capabilities as advertised, but I've had no problems with clogging of any sort. All-in-all, an easy and decent everyday sunscreen without the need of an additional moisturizer.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2014 12:47:00 PM More reviews by seaweed88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is decent. Most sunscreen moisturizers cause extreme breakouts on me. This one doesn't do that, but it does cause quite a few blackheads, which isn't exactly desirable. It's better than huge breakouts, though. So for now, until I find the holy grail of sunscreens, I'm sticking with this. It also leaves my skin a bit oily/shiny looking.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 4:08:00 PM More reviews by taylor123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

So I have used Cetaphil products in the past and I've typically had a great experience. This new Derma Control line came out and I figured I'd give it a try. I live in FL where it's in the 90s right now so this new moisturizer with SPF 30 sounded great and it also claims to control oil. I first applied it and it smells like straight sunscreen which doesn't bother me, I actually like that scent and it dries to an almost powdery finish. Not greasy or oily which I loved. Went about my day but I didn't feel like it did an amazing job at controlling my oil. I have oily/combination skin and I actually felt like my forehead was oilier than usual. At the end of the day I looked in the mirror and I had broken out in little red pimples on my cheeks and in really weird places like the tip of my nose, in my eyebrows and in the corner of my eyes lol. Something in this did not react well with my skin at all. I use their daily advance moisturizer WITHOUT the SPF for night time and i have no problem, that one is an HG product for me. Whatever Cetaphil uses for their SPF ruins their products. I have also tried another SPF moisturizer from them too and had a similar reaction. I now use an Aveeno Moisturizer with SPF for the day time and it hasn't broken me out. Real bummer because it has enough SPF for me living in such a hot place. This new derma control line is a bit disappointing to me. I'm gonna stick with the original products.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2014 5:33:00 AM More reviews by cindymaree

This product is amazing! As a competitive swimmer of 12 years at state and national level, swim teacher and lifeguard with extremely sensitive skin can cause me many problems. I have quite pimple prone skin and get allergic reactions and burns from chlorine. Being in the pool for up to 20 hours per week tends to reap havoc on my skin varying from oily to dry severely burnt bright red and peeling. I have tried many products that just haven't worked. In real need for releif i went to my chemist for an oil free fragment free moisturiser that is good for sensitive skin (that wont burn my skin) and they recommend we try this product. I was pleasantly surprised with the sturdy pump that puts the perfect amount. On first application it felt light and not oily what so ever, i instantly noticed a difference, my skin no longer had an uncomfortable burning feeling and there was instant relief, the dry patches, burns and peeling were noticeably better within minutes and lasted all day. I carry this product in my handbag to take it where ever i go. I am very impressed and would get this product again

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by jadefly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have very oily skin. In flash photos, I always look like I have a compact mirror taped between my eyebrows. When my husband was told he would have to use a moisturizer with SPF because of a prescription medication, we found this moisturizer at Target and both decided to try it.

I really like this product! A pump dispenses the perfect amount and even swivels to lock in case you need to toss it in a bag for travel. The moisturizer has a great lightweight consistency, almost like a gel, and just sinks right into my skin and never pills when I layer other products over it. As for oil control, my forehead still shines in flash photos, but I definitely stay matte for more hours of the day than without it! The only reason I may not repurchase this when it runs out is that I just picked up a BB cream that claims to moisturize and am hoping to cut down the number of products I have to put on my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 11:39:00 AM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I was looking for a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer to wear as a primer under my makeup. I was using Aveeno Baby Daily Moisturizing Lotion, which I loved as a primer. But then I realized it contained oil. Since this lotion was fragrance free and formulated for sensitive skin, I assumed it was also oil free. But it's not. So that probably explains why it was causing even lightweight oil-free (ie water-based) foundations to look cakey and thick. It took me a few months to make the connection, but I finally did. So I was looking around Target to see what my options were. This Derma Control Moisturizer by Cetaphil immediately caught my eye. It seemed to be everything I was looking for. It's lightweight, oil-free and was developed by a dermatologist. It claimed to be made especially for very oil skin. My skin is extremely allergy-prone. But I've been using the Target brand of the Cetaphil Gentle Facial Cleanser with no problem, so I thought I'd give this a try. I have to admit, I was more than a little skeptical that it would live up to its claims. After all, I've had allergic reactions to things that claim to be for sensitive skin (Neutrogenia Ultra Gentle Facial Cleanser for example, made my face feel like it was on fire) So I'm always a little wary of trying new products.

But I absolutely love this moisturizer. It is very lightweight, almost like a gel. It absorbs quickly and isn't at all greasy. It works amazing as a primer. It gives me a smooth base for my foundation. The thing I was most skeptical about was the oil control aspect. Most of the time, things that claim to control oil don't for me. My nose and cheeks are extremely oily. But this keeps my oil at bay all day and keeps my makeup on my face until I take it off. It is a little pricey at $14.99 at Target (I really wish there was a generic version) but I'll deal since I love this product so much. It hasn't given me any type of allergic reaction or irritation. So if I can use this, anyone can use it. You get 4 oz of product, and you only need a little bit. Two pumps is more than enough for my entire face. I also love the pump on this product. It's sturdy and it's easy to use. You turn it one way to open it and the opposite way to close it. I would definitely recommend this moisturizer to others, especially those with sensitive skin. It also works great as a primer, at least for me. Another great product from Cetaphil.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by Leahdearr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I do not like this at all. It made my skin more greasy. Even after I applied it, I could feel the greasiness on my fingers... Save your receipt and buy it from a place that accepts returns in case you don't like it.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2014 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Coconutlacroix

My 1st review! I admit, I bought this without reading the packaging as closely as I should have. I have combination skin (slightly dry cheeks, oily t-zone) and seem to do well with most products that are marketed oil-free or combination-friendly. Specifically looking for an oil-free moisturizer with SPF 30, I thought this would be a great choice. After applying this for the first time, and then proceeding to apply the rest of my makeup (revlon colorstay, bronzer/blush, light dusting of powder) it wasn't but an hour before my face started to feel very uncomfortable. 2 hours later I look in the mirror and I can see my foundation separating and an overall whitish cast to my face (this never happens to me) but that wasn't half as bad as the overall itchiness and heaviness I felt.. I couldn't wait to wash this off. When I got home, I read the packaging more closely and it does look like the target audience is perhaps those with very oily skin that are currently taking Rx to deal with the issue. In that sense, I feel almost guilty leaving a 3 lippie review cos this might be HG for them! But if you only have slightly oily/combination skin and were looking for an oil-free SPF, I'd steer clear of this one. I packed this up and return it the next day.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by skuper

I love cetaphil products but this product is my least favorite. Its more on the drying side and doesnt moisturize my skin very well. It seems better to use in the warmer months.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 4:15:00 PM More reviews by juliaroyer16

I love this product! It comes in a 4 fluid ounce bottle with a pump. The nozzle turns to close and open it, and usually one pump is enough for my entire face. It was about $10, but has lasted for several months now, and I use it 2 or 3 times a day, so it's worth the money. This moisturizer is made for people using strong topical products, such as Tazorac, which make your skin very sensitive to sunlight. The moisturizer never burns the new skin, and has SPF 30 which helps so much! It has a very light, clean smell that goes away quickly after applying. I definitely will be buying this again!! *Note that this system is specifically made for people with oily skin who are already using strong topical prescription products, hence the reason it's so gentle.*