Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Kohl Kajal Eyeliner Trio

1.7

on 3/8/2014 2:02:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

The low oveall rating for these is deceptive, since most reviewers clearly used it incorrectly!!!

If you can find Youtube videos on how to use cone kajal (there are only a few) you will see that they are not the same as pencil eyeliners. You rub the SIDE of the cone on your waterline, or you can close your eye over the side of it to line top and bottom at the same time. I simply press lightly below my eye to separate the lid slightly, and line with the side of the cone.

It works really well, and there is none of that "tickle" sensation that I usually get when using a pencil on the waterline.

I might otherwise knock it down a lippie for the lack of explanation on the packaging of how best to use the project. In fact, one project illustration makes it seem as though they should be used like pencils. However, I think previous reviewers have lowered the review enough to reflect that shortcoming.

I have the trio for Nude eyes, and the colors are great: Champagne, Pewter, and black whth subtle shimmer. I already knew I would like the colors as I have the retractable pencils in the same colors.

Physicians Formula has a bit of a reputation of being expensive for drugstore, but there are often sales that make them reasonably priced. I believe in the end I paid around US $11 for the set of 3, and got back $7 back in store rewards.

on 1/11/2014 11:26:00 PM

I got these in the kit for hazel eyes...it contains a black, taupe and purple/pink color. I took a gamble on these, as they look as if the tips are begging to get knocked off. But after playing with them for a few days, once I got the hang of using them, I haven't had any trouble. The trick, as someone else mentioned, it not to use them like a pencil. You need to lay them horizontally and use the sides of the tip, not the tip head on. You will most likely break them if you try to use the tip only. If you are into ultra thin, ultra precise liner application, I'd pass on these. I like to smudge my liner, and it doesn't have to be perfect, and these work well for that. The design of the package is also tricky, as pulling the lid off and on can break or dent the product. Having said all that, they are decent liners for the price, and do look nice on hazel or green eyes. I think I still prefer automatic pencils just because they are more durable, but I'll use these up.

on 12/7/2013 2:34:00 PM

The package states "Improved" so give these guys a chance. I really like them. Use all three liners (Black, Charcoal, and Silver). Lasts, doesn't sting or run. Goes on smoothly. Have gotten a lot of compliments when I use them.

on 10/28/2013 2:49:00 PM

Totally devoted to these kohl gems, great for Asian eyes! Be gentle like a dove when applying so as not to break the point. Brown shade and believe or not the hazel colors all good for olive complexion. Easy to blend and lasts all day on my oily skin, virtually smudge free. Only Paraben free products touch my skin and PF is my true bff.

on 10/6/2013 5:50:00 PM

The colors caught my eye, so I was super excited to try them, too bad they broke as soon as they touched my skin. way to expensive to be that cheap! really wish I would have reviewed them before I bought. don't waste your money.

on 9/18/2013 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought these for Hazel eyes and have been using them for about a week. If you have patience, and are careful, you can get some good effects. Here is how I learned to live with them:

1. For waterline use, or tight lining, do that as one of your last steps in your eye makeup application. It seems to need some time to “set” so opening and closing your eyes, as happens when putting on shadow / liner, can cause it to smear under the eye. That can be cleaned up with a Q-tip, but it is easier to just do the waterline work last, or as close to it as possible.

2. For using under the lower lashes, conceal, powder and then put on a little primer (I use Urban Decay), which helps to lock the liner down and keep it from smearing.

I would describe this as a powder/gel composite. The tips of the pencils are very soft so go slow and be careful. If you get too aggressive in your application you can easily break off the tip, as many of you have experienced.

I line the upper lid with the purple color, the waterline with the black and the under eye with the brown/taupe. It gives a very nice effect and seems to wear as well as can be expected. That doesn’t mean I am not keeping my eyes open for similar, better, kohl kajal liners.

on 8/29/2013 2:37:00 PM

No, no, no ladies! This product works very well, but you have to use it correctly. It is not a pencil, and won't work well if used that way. I have the nude ones now, but I did have a set of the purple, green and black that I threw away because I didn't know how to use them. (and the directions aren't helpful) and now I wish I hadn't

Here's how they work for me, and I have sensitive, contact lens wearing eyes.

Line your waterline and squeeze your eyes shut for about 10 seconds..it will transfer to the top waterline. Blink your eyes until your eyes clear anything that might be on your eyes. You can leave it like this or apply another line above your upper lashline for more drama. Don't poke it at your eye, or use it like a pencil...hold it horizontally. I'm trying to use it in the traditional way, by basically closing my eye on the stick...but I have to practice. In the meantime, the "squeezing method" works great for me. It does sometimes transfer to my eye and blur a little, but not bad and it doesn't hurt. (although everyone is different) I just blink until it clears, or clean my contact.

on 7/24/2013 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I haven't had any problems with these yet as described in reviews below. I get a good line for a decent 8-10 hours without any smudging or flaking. No problems yet with the tip breaking off. I have not a clue whether these can be sharpened or not. If they can't, then what a waste. I doubt I would buy these again but the colors in the nude set were exactly what i needed, particularly the medium charcoal/brown shade.

I bought the eyeliner trio for blue eyes, and as soon as I applied the blue shade, the tip broke off. I couldn't put it back on, so it was a waste of money. Terrible, terrible product! I would not recommend this eyeliner. I have used the other eyeliners, since they come in packs of three, and once they are used for a bit, they are difficult to apply. Don't waste your money!

on 7/12/2013 1:13:00 PM

Should have read reviews first. Ugh!! I looked like a raccoon 10 minutes after applying. And they are waxy too. Also be careful not to poke your eye like I did. Shape is not user friendly