October 24, 2014 | 1672 users online

Treatments (Face) - Avene - Triacneal

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by Lerka

This is the first Avene product I ever bought. I know it might be a bit to early to write a review as I've only used it twice but so far I'm quite pleased with the product. I can already tell that my pores shrunk a bit. the makeup looks a lot better. My skin is a bit smoother. It didn't do anything for the scars yet as it supposed to take 6-8 weeks to see results.
I'm not sure why previous reviewer said it's reddish in color when it's actually yellowish.
But anyway, I like the texture that's light and not sticky. And I like the smell as well, it smells like Vitamin C to me :)

I didn't notice any irritation or dryness... I have sensitive skin but I think it is used to 8% Glycolic Acid from using Neostrata products so I think that's probably why I didn't react to it as some other people.

The reason I gave 4/5 is because I can't fully evaluate the results. So 4/5 for now :)
But I will definitely keep using it every night and will report back with updates :)

*******************************************UPDATE******************************************************
April 7, 2014
I've been using it for a week now, and I got whiteheads and 6 red pimples on my cheeks that I felt were sitting under the skin for a couple of weeks and now they've emerged which I'm assuming is a sign that the Triacneal is working (?). Will keep updating.

April 22, 2014
I've been using Triacneal for 3 weeks now and I really like it. I had few spots on the forehead that are almost gone now and I haven't had any new breakouts either.

Those red pimples on my cheeks are slowly going away as well. And it's that time of the month (argh) so I broke out a little but nothing major. I also started using Differin and alternating it with Triacneal which I think made my skin a little dry. But overall, I feel like I'm getting there ... :)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by socharming

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I really wanted to like this product, as I'm a big fan of retinol-based products for oily/combination skin. Sadly, this came up very short.

The texture is a very dense, reddish cream that is incredibly difficult to apply to and spread on the skin. It doesn't feel hydrating at all. The reddish color does not come from the retinol but from the Red #33 contained in the product. It may even leave your face with an orangey tint....

As for the retinol or retinal in this case, it is the very last ingredient on the list. Therefore, there is hardly any contained in the product and certainly not enough to be effective. I was very disappointed with using this on the whole face.

However, I did discover that this makes an EXCELLENT post acne spot remover. This is due to the relatively high concentration of glycolic acid. Apply it directly to the spot twice a day, rubbing it in gently. And the spot is GONE in just a few days. This is why I gave the product 3 lippies instead of 1.

I wouldn't purchase this again - but I will use it as an expensive spot treatment until the tube is empty.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 10:23:00 AM More reviews by nehelenia

I really like this product. I've been dealing with acne since I was 15 and I still get a few pimples sometimes. I treated it with pills, Diane 35, it's the only thing that worked for me but it seems that my polycystic ovary is causing the acne.
Therefore, I don't think there is such thing as a miracle treatment as long as the acne is caused by something internal like polycystic ovary sindrome.
Triacneal works great for me because it does not dry off my skin at all, it is actually more hydrated than ever, it is very smooth and it looks healthy and it also "kills" the pimples, but you have to be patient because it does not happen in one day.
I think you cannot ask for more from it. I also like the smell.
As for the acne, I really think that we should start treating the cause first otherwise we'll never get rid of it just by using a gel or an emulsion.
And I don't find it to be too expensive either, in Romania it is about 20$ and it lasts 5-6-7 months. I would do anything for a nice skin so 20$ doesn't seem much to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/31/2013 3:06:00 AM More reviews by rEMemberMepls

My hopes were high when my dermatologist prescribed me this product. I gave this a chance a lot of times but my skin wont break into it. It was irritating my skin and even the scent makes me feel that it is a harsh product. It made me break out a lot on my chin and forehead ( I never have cystic acne on my forehead :( ) especially on the first initial two weeks. I thought i should give it some time because every acne treatment has its ways but come to think of it why should it even make you break out on an area where there is no problem to begin with. My acne scars didn't even lessen in appearance and it even gave me some milia on my cheeks which are very stubborn. This product makes a pimple and then doesnt push it out. Sorry if this review is turning really sour but it is a waste of money and a very riskey product. I only gave this 5 lippies for its packaging which is very convenient and hygienic and not like other tubes that once you open it, it squeezes out an enormous amount of product. But for its price point its very expensive. I love other avene products their purifying toner is a HG for me and so is their range of moisturizers but this triacneal doesnt cut it for me. I will not be purchasing this any time soon oh wait I meant never.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I bought this for about $21.00 CDN for 30mL/1.01 fl oz before moving to the US. In the US I have seen it priced around $50-60 in stores which I think is over-priced and I would not buy it at that cost, especially when Retin-a is cheaper and more effective.

Anyways - price aside, this is a good glycolic acid and retinal based product I was using to clear up some marks left over from previous breakouts and to help with the breakouts I was having at the time. It comes in a squeeze tube, and the lotion is yellowish in colour. It is a bit difficult to spread. Most nights I would use a tiny amount and it does leave a yellow tinge on the skin and bedding that is easily washed off - but you may want to use some older bedding and not ruin nice pillowcases. I also used Cleanance K cream-gel on nights I was not using TriAcneal.

Results: This does help with leftover acne scarring (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation), basically any brownish red or purple marks for me. It left my skin very smooth and soft in the mornings. This did take a much longer time for me to see results than with, for example, BHA. It had very little effect on current breakouts and did not prevent future breakouts altogether. Blackheads and clogged pores remained unchanged and I still had irritated skin - so after giving this almost one year, I decided to try other things.

I was given a sample of PC's 2% BHA from a friend. I noticed it cleared up my skin much faster and literally "melted" blackheads (as disgusting as it sounds -after using the BHA a few times they just melted right out when I lightly pressed my skin while cleansing), previously I had used some other BHA's in the stores (Stridex, Neutrogena) with no results. Surprisingly, a combination of PC's BHA gel/toner and an AHA lotion (Alpha Hydrox 10% Lotion or gel) has kept my skin much clearer and more even-toned than while using TriAcneal, and my skin now is 100% improved to the point where I no longer have to even wear foundation, and can use almost any products and not suffer breakouts and needless to say - I am very happy with this routine and have no desire to change products.

Despite my experience with TriAcneal, Avene is a GREAT option, and I have seen their acne products work really well for friends and family members. Avene makes lots of wonderful products - and TriAcneal is well worth a try for mild to perhaps moderate acne but for me it was not the right option to really clear out blackheads and clogged pores while stopping the cycle of breakouts and that that kind of stuff. It did a good job dealing with some mild scarring and smoothing out the surface of my skin. The only con is TriAcneal is fragranced and this may be irritating for some - for me it did seem to add to the irritation and redness of my skin. I would repurchase Avene products for sure, especially Cleanance K but probably not TriAcneal.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2013 10:38:00 PM More reviews by zin814

I just purchased this product and used it yesterday night. I know it's too soon to start a review about a product which I just used once. But I'll update and edit my review weekly for better informations.
The cream/lotion like consistency is in light yellow color, but as I read on the internet, it's the true color of the product so no worry about its quality
After putting a pea size cream on my acne areas, it absorbed to my skin quickly without feeling greasy and leave the skin a smooth, clear finish which is good in my opinion
The next morning after I woke up, I touch parts of my face which were applied Triaceal and amazingly they were quite oil-free (I applied the cream on my nose, jawline areas)
Although the result is not clear for me to jump into any conclusion, I still have high hope about this product.
*Updating*
THIS PRODUCT DRIED OUT MY SKIN BADLY. IT MADE MY SKIN THINNER AND ITCHY. I WENT TO THE DERMATOLOGIST AND BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH MILD ECZEMA. NOW MY FACE IS A MESS, ITCHY, DRIED SKIN, REDNESS...I SHOULD HAVE LIVED WITH MY ACNE, REALLY WANNA DIE NOW

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by fran1991

This product is really, really good. I am someone who obsesses about face stuff, day cream, night cream, toner etc etc but my worst habit is squeezing spots. They might not be big, they might be under the skin tiny bumps, WHATEVER they are I squeeze. Which leaves red marks, unsightly swelling and often dark marks for a while after the spot has gone. Triacneal does EVERYTHING to make the process tonnes better - the soothing, the antibac, the drying out WITHOUT OVERDRYING THE SKIN and, best of all, the peeling to reveal a smooth new layer of skin beneath all in a super short space of time. Most people complain about the price but I recently went to France and from any pharmacy it costs about 11 euros so much cheaper than in the UK. Also just a note on the peeling - if you apply it at night, then in the morning exfoliate with a face scrub it leaves your skin very smooth. Make sure to moisturise daily etc to speed up the skin renewal process!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Ispania

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think it's time to write a review on Triacneal. I bought it in June, used 2,3 times and stopped because of hot summer days, which I like to spend on the beach. In the middle of the August I used it a couple of times and stopped again for the same reason. And I have been using it for the whole September.

Before I started using this cream I had a couple of after blemish red spots on the right cheeck and a red spot left after big pimple on my right cheeck. My skin tone was not very healthy, it had some earthly tone.
Within a week the red spot on the right cheeck faded and in a couple of weeks disappeared completely. The after blemish spots on the left cheeck ( have been there for a year) are still there but faded a little bit. I think it will take quite a while to clear them up.
My skin tone has improved significantly.
It's more even, less pale ( mean unhealthy pale). I have a line on my forehead and it is still there, but a little blurred now.
Some of the blackheads showed up on the surface and I could pop them.

This cream doesn't leave my skin oily, which is quite good for now, but in winter I will have to use moisterizer after it.
I don't understand why this cream is tinted (it has golden tint to it). But it doesn't really bother me.
A little goes a long way. I'm not even half tube through but I already see results.
I've recently added skinceutical retin 1. Cream to my daily routine, but as I added it only recently I give all the credits to Triacneal.

When I use up the tube I will update on the results.

Update: this cream doesn't irritate my skin even though this is my first retinol cream of this strength.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2013 6:52:00 AM More reviews by calooza

I have oily acne prone sensitive skin for reference.

I started to use this treatment in conjunction with Effaclar Duo on May.

The biggest differences on my skin i attributed to Effaclar Duo (i have a review on that). I used triacneal every two or three nights. It's not very effective with active blemishes nor with my comedones. But it doesn't hurt either, so i kept using it, i didn't wanted to waste my money.

In August i replaced Effaclar Duo for Effaclar K, and stopped using Triacneal for a few weeks (maybe 3). I got better results with Effaclar k (i also have a review on that). One big difference was my oily skin. I would have trouble with my skin, because it was really oily, and the oiliness seemed to be thick, and i always had a sticky/tacky feeling to the touch. Not nice. I started taking zinc when i started using effaclar k, and stopped triacneal at the same time... and i noticed a big difference on my oily skin. It wasn't tacky anymore. My oils seemed more fluid and thin, i blotted and i would get a dry soft face (to the touch). At first i attributed to the zinc, but then i stopped taking it, and the effect remained.

This week i used Triacneal for two nights. Aaaaaand the tacky feeling is back!!!! It's been almost a week i used it, and this effect remain!!! It's soooo annoying! I'm really self conscious about it, because my skin looks and feels oily and sticky all the time, i can't stand my boyfriend touching my face, because i know it feels this way :( baaah

I'm just hoping this will go away soon. Nothing else on my routine changed, so i'm attributing this to Triacneal. I'm now going to wait a few more days to see if i get any change, and i'll update.

Even if this didn't happen, i would not repurchase Triacneal again. I don't see why. I'm satisfied with Effaclar K from La Roche Posay, for comedones, active blemishes and dark spots.

UPDATE: I find that this makes me oily and also breaks me out. I took a break from both Triacneal and Effaclar K, and my skin is a lot better from the previous breakouts i was experience consistently in the last few weeks.
I'm going to try Bioderma, because it doesn't have comedogenic ingredients like Cetyl Alcohol and CETEARYL ALCOHOL.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2013 3:30:00 PM More reviews by morsonel

I am using triacneal for a month now and i think i am experiencing the second worst purging of my life (first was Accutane). I am hoping it will get better with time, but i am also very scared that it will not. i need some encouragement i guess..some say the purging can last up to 3 month..i am willing to wait that long, but i want to be sure it is worth it :( feeling a little down right now.
Anyway, there are also good news. Although i get like 5 new pimples each day, they go away in max 2 days and leave no marks or redness whatsoever. I have the feeling triacneal brings all up to the surface so that it can clean the skin thoroughly (i hope :D). my old acne scars faded a lot since i use it, skin feels soft but it is still bumpy (and it got me 2 very big cysts that seem to take forever to heal). i use it every night and it never tingles, my skin never gets red because of it and it never peeled. i guess my skin is pretty tolerant. I plan to finish this tube (which seems to last me around 3 months - so i have 2 months to go), i use it every single night, allover my face, after 30 minutes of washing my face with Cleneace washing gel (which i adore: leaves my skin soft, hydrated but non greasy, fades redness and gives a nice overall glow/even tone). If i wait 30 minutes after washing my face it is easier to spread the one pee size triacneal cream allover my face. otherwise i would have to use far way more product.
Will review again if my skin condition gets better or after 3 month if it doesn't.
P.S.
payed 16 dollars on my tube
did not make my skin sun intolerant, nor peeling, nor sensitive
faded my old scars
cleaned my pores
can cause a very bad purging for some (like me :( )

All in all i think you should give it a try and be patient!