September 1, 2014 | 2101 users online

Treatments (Face) - Avene - Triacneal

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I bought this for about $21.00 CDN for 30mL/1.01 fl oz before moving to the US. In the US I have seen it priced around $50-60 in stores which I think is over-priced and I would not buy it at that cost, especially when Retin-a is cheaper and more effective.

Anyways - price aside, this is a good glycolic acid and retinal based product I was using to clear up some marks left over from previous breakouts and to help with the breakouts I was having at the time. It comes in a squeeze tube, and the lotion is yellowish in colour. It is a bit difficult to spread. Most nights I would use a tiny amount and it does leave a yellow tinge on the skin and bedding that is easily washed off - but you may want to use some older bedding and not ruin nice pillowcases. I also used Cleanance K cream-gel on nights I was not using TriAcneal.

Results: This does help with leftover acne scarring (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation), basically any brownish red or purple marks for me. It left my skin very smooth and soft in the mornings. This did take a much longer time for me to see results than with, for example, BHA. It had very little effect on current breakouts and did not prevent future breakouts altogether. Blackheads and clogged pores remained unchanged and I still had irritated skin - so after giving this almost one year, I decided to try other things.

I was given a sample of PC's 2% BHA from a friend. I noticed it cleared up my skin much faster and literally "melted" blackheads (as disgusting as it sounds -after using the BHA a few times they just melted right out when I lightly pressed my skin while cleansing), previously I had used some other BHA's in the stores (Stridex, Neutrogena) with no results. Surprisingly, a combination of PC's BHA gel/toner and an AHA lotion (Alpha Hydrox 10% Lotion or gel) has kept my skin much clearer and more even-toned than while using TriAcneal, and my skin now is 100% improved to the point where I no longer have to even wear foundation, and can use almost any products and not suffer breakouts and needless to say - I am very happy with this routine and have no desire to change products.

Despite my experience with TriAcneal, Avene is a GREAT option, and I have seen their acne products work really well for friends and family members. Avene makes lots of wonderful products - and TriAcneal is well worth a try for mild to perhaps moderate acne but for me it was not the right option to really clear out blackheads and clogged pores while stopping the cycle of breakouts and that that kind of stuff. It did a good job dealing with some mild scarring and smoothing out the surface of my skin. The only con is TriAcneal is fragranced and this may be irritating for some - for me it did seem to add to the irritation and redness of my skin. I would repurchase Avene products for sure, especially Cleanance K but probably not TriAcneal.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2013 10:38:00 PM More reviews by zin814

I just purchased this product and used it yesterday night. I know it's too soon to start a review about a product which I just used once. But I'll update and edit my review weekly for better informations.
The cream/lotion like consistency is in light yellow color, but as I read on the internet, it's the true color of the product so no worry about its quality
After putting a pea size cream on my acne areas, it absorbed to my skin quickly without feeling greasy and leave the skin a smooth, clear finish which is good in my opinion
The next morning after I woke up, I touch parts of my face which were applied Triaceal and amazingly they were quite oil-free (I applied the cream on my nose, jawline areas)
Although the result is not clear for me to jump into any conclusion, I still have high hope about this product.
*Updating*
THIS PRODUCT DRIED OUT MY SKIN BADLY. IT MADE MY SKIN THINNER AND ITCHY. I WENT TO THE DERMATOLOGIST AND BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH MILD ECZEMA. NOW MY FACE IS A MESS, ITCHY, DRIED SKIN, REDNESS...I SHOULD HAVE LIVED WITH MY ACNE, REALLY WANNA DIE NOW

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by fran1991

This product is really, really good. I am someone who obsesses about face stuff, day cream, night cream, toner etc etc but my worst habit is squeezing spots. They might not be big, they might be under the skin tiny bumps, WHATEVER they are I squeeze. Which leaves red marks, unsightly swelling and often dark marks for a while after the spot has gone. Triacneal does EVERYTHING to make the process tonnes better - the soothing, the antibac, the drying out WITHOUT OVERDRYING THE SKIN and, best of all, the peeling to reveal a smooth new layer of skin beneath all in a super short space of time. Most people complain about the price but I recently went to France and from any pharmacy it costs about 11 euros so much cheaper than in the UK. Also just a note on the peeling - if you apply it at night, then in the morning exfoliate with a face scrub it leaves your skin very smooth. Make sure to moisturise daily etc to speed up the skin renewal process!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Ispania

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think it's time to write a review on Triacneal. I bought it in June, used 2,3 times and stopped because of hot summer days, which I like to spend on the beach. In the middle of the August I used it a couple of times and stopped again for the same reason. And I have been using it for the whole September.

Before I started using this cream I had a couple of after blemish red spots on the right cheeck and a red spot left after big pimple on my right cheeck. My skin tone was not very healthy, it had some earthly tone.
Within a week the red spot on the right cheeck faded and in a couple of weeks disappeared completely. The after blemish spots on the left cheeck ( have been there for a year) are still there but faded a little bit. I think it will take quite a while to clear them up.
My skin tone has improved significantly.
It's more even, less pale ( mean unhealthy pale). I have a line on my forehead and it is still there, but a little blurred now.
Some of the blackheads showed up on the surface and I could pop them.

This cream doesn't leave my skin oily, which is quite good for now, but in winter I will have to use moisterizer after it.
I don't understand why this cream is tinted (it has golden tint to it). But it doesn't really bother me.
A little goes a long way. I'm not even half tube through but I already see results.
I've recently added skinceutical retin 1. Cream to my daily routine, but as I added it only recently I give all the credits to Triacneal.

When I use up the tube I will update on the results.

Update: this cream doesn't irritate my skin even though this is my first retinol cream of this strength.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2013 6:52:00 AM More reviews by calooza

I have oily acne prone sensitive skin for reference.

I started to use this treatment in conjunction with Effaclar Duo on May.

The biggest differences on my skin i attributed to Effaclar Duo (i have a review on that). I used triacneal every two or three nights. It's not very effective with active blemishes nor with my comedones. But it doesn't hurt either, so i kept using it, i didn't wanted to waste my money.

In August i replaced Effaclar Duo for Effaclar K, and stopped using Triacneal for a few weeks (maybe 3). I got better results with Effaclar k (i also have a review on that). One big difference was my oily skin. I would have trouble with my skin, because it was really oily, and the oiliness seemed to be thick, and i always had a sticky/tacky feeling to the touch. Not nice. I started taking zinc when i started using effaclar k, and stopped triacneal at the same time... and i noticed a big difference on my oily skin. It wasn't tacky anymore. My oils seemed more fluid and thin, i blotted and i would get a dry soft face (to the touch). At first i attributed to the zinc, but then i stopped taking it, and the effect remained.

This week i used Triacneal for two nights. Aaaaaand the tacky feeling is back!!!! It's been almost a week i used it, and this effect remain!!! It's soooo annoying! I'm really self conscious about it, because my skin looks and feels oily and sticky all the time, i can't stand my boyfriend touching my face, because i know it feels this way :( baaah

I'm just hoping this will go away soon. Nothing else on my routine changed, so i'm attributing this to Triacneal. I'm now going to wait a few more days to see if i get any change, and i'll update.

Even if this didn't happen, i would not repurchase Triacneal again. I don't see why. I'm satisfied with Effaclar K from La Roche Posay, for comedones, active blemishes and dark spots.

UPDATE: I find that this makes me oily and also breaks me out. I took a break from both Triacneal and Effaclar K, and my skin is a lot better from the previous breakouts i was experience consistently in the last few weeks.
I'm going to try Bioderma, because it doesn't have comedogenic ingredients like Cetyl Alcohol and CETEARYL ALCOHOL.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2013 3:30:00 PM More reviews by morsonel

I am using triacneal for a month now and i think i am experiencing the second worst purging of my life (first was Accutane). I am hoping it will get better with time, but i am also very scared that it will not. i need some encouragement i guess..some say the purging can last up to 3 month..i am willing to wait that long, but i want to be sure it is worth it :( feeling a little down right now.
Anyway, there are also good news. Although i get like 5 new pimples each day, they go away in max 2 days and leave no marks or redness whatsoever. I have the feeling triacneal brings all up to the surface so that it can clean the skin thoroughly (i hope :D). my old acne scars faded a lot since i use it, skin feels soft but it is still bumpy (and it got me 2 very big cysts that seem to take forever to heal). i use it every night and it never tingles, my skin never gets red because of it and it never peeled. i guess my skin is pretty tolerant. I plan to finish this tube (which seems to last me around 3 months - so i have 2 months to go), i use it every single night, allover my face, after 30 minutes of washing my face with Cleneace washing gel (which i adore: leaves my skin soft, hydrated but non greasy, fades redness and gives a nice overall glow/even tone). If i wait 30 minutes after washing my face it is easier to spread the one pee size triacneal cream allover my face. otherwise i would have to use far way more product.
Will review again if my skin condition gets better or after 3 month if it doesn't.
P.S.
payed 16 dollars on my tube
did not make my skin sun intolerant, nor peeling, nor sensitive
faded my old scars
cleaned my pores
can cause a very bad purging for some (like me :( )

All in all i think you should give it a try and be patient!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 3:00:00 PM More reviews by ANCCNA

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this product for a long time the old formulas were great but this one is amazing, it clears little pimples and if I get a big one it makes it smaller and easier to pop. The only problem that I see is that I doesn't help clear blackheads, right now I'm looking for a product just for that, it also helps with the red marks that the pimples leave overall it is the best product I have tried

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2013 9:11:00 PM More reviews by sparklingBG

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am very surprised by this product. I can finally say my teenage acne has stopped (I'm in my mid-20s) however, I have been left with a large number of dark marks and spots. So far, I have been using this product for about a month and I am starting to see a change. I have fairly sensitive skin and I found it a bit harsh when I used it alone. I mixed it with my night cream on the back of my hand and it seems to work better. Normally, I apply this cream at night. I am starting to experience more evenness in my skin and the dark marks are starting to peel revealing new skin. I will have to stop using this product for the next two weeks because I will be exposed to a large amount of sun during my vacation but I'm looking forward to using this product again. It's really important that you use sunscreen on your face the following morning as the skin will be sensitive. It was suggested online that you wait 6-8 weeks before you will see a change so I will be posting an update in about a month. The product is costly but you only need a small amount (two lines on the back of your hand). Also, shoppers tends to have sales and/or promotions for this product making it a little easier to purchase.

Update: so I have been using it for another month and it's working perfectly. Even my mom is starting to notice the fading. I think the newer the scar, the faster it will fade. Stick to it and you will for sure see changes.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2013 3:19:00 AM More reviews by Lexx13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is my initial review, I will update again once I've used this longer.
My story:
I've had fairly good skin most of my life, although VERY sensitive/reactive usually I only get moderate breakouts that respond quickly to salicylic acid and benzyl peroxide.
Two months ago, I started to get MAJOR extremely large painful cystic acne on my nose, chin, cheeks. I immediately started using my BP regularly, and salicylic acid.
My routine took care of the cysts over a cpl weeks but I continued to wake up to constant white heads every day. I've been adding vit C to the mix and that is taking care of the scars but my entire lower face is still covered in acne at this point, while the rest of my face is completely clear. I know this is hormonal acne I'm dealing with, and it seems nothing I tried would make it stop...how frustrating!
I don't have time to wait for an appt with the derm ( 6 months!?) so in desperation I went to SDM and asked what really works for this? I don't care how much it costs! So there I found triacneal.
Can I just say, that I have never used anything so effective for this horrible kind of acne? Within 24 hrs of applying, my cysts have broken up into smaller pimples, half of the white heads are now almost invisible, I'd say there is already a 50% improvement in the appearance of the breakouts. I've never had luck with AHA's before but I am hoping that since it also has retinaldehyde that it will make my skin happy. So far so good - I will update again after I've used it a few weeks. Definitely try this if you have cysts/nothing else is working for you!
Update: I used this for two weeks and my skin started peeling horribly. It looked so disgusting even with makeup over top. I couldn't stand it, it was just too harsh for my skin. Even after using a face scrub it was flaky. I still recommend this to treat cystic acne! Just not for me.
I am having better luck alternating retinol and benzyl peroxide (no flakes or irritation).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2013 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Lanaconrad

Great product for acne, increases pimples and blackhead very quickly. Negative point: irritates my skin very quickly because it's an agressive product.