August 28, 2014 | 1472 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Painted Purple

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2013 2:48:00 PM More reviews by paintingitpink

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I know this eyeshadow is getting some bad reviews. I agree - as an eyeshadow it's not the greatest. It's definitely not as pigmented as the other tattoo colors (Bad to the Bronze is amazing!). By itself, it's not a great eyeshadow.

However, I think this makes an amazing eyeshadow base for purple eyeshadow. The colour is an exact dupe to NYX's jumbo eye pencil in Purple, but unlike the jumbo eye pencils, it doesn't crease!

It's a great base to make my purple eyeshadow look more vibrant. I like layering Vellum, Seedy Pearl and Satellite Dreams over it. It also pairs beautifully with my plummy browns such as Twins and Sable.

If you're looking for a good eyeshadow "base" this works great. If you're looking for a vibrant purple cream shadow, look else ware.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by PiMehMeh

It's a shame that this Color Tattoo is so sheer compared to the rest of the shades in the product family, and even more of a shame that I usually like purple eyeshadows and that this one was a disappointment. This is a more matte, basic purple that looks pigmented in the pot but blends out so sheer, and unevenly! The more I blend out uneven, clumpy areas, the sheerer it becomes, until I've practically rubbed it all off. I have more luck packing on more color and building up the intensity... but then at the end of the day it just feels really heavy. Not to mention, this creases if I don't wear a powder eyeshadow over it.

I love all of the Color Tattoos but this is the only shade that's been a let-down. I've been hunting for the limited edition shade Fuschia Fever in hopes that it's much better than Painted Purple.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 12:05:00 PM More reviews by shoewhore

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

wow what a disappointment. I love the bold purple color in the pot. but once you put in on, it's very sheer. you can build it, but it takes many coats & it starts to get creas-y. The formula is not smooth & creamy like some of the other colors either. This one is more dry & doesn't go on nice. Such a letdown.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2013 8:29:00 AM More reviews by mikraki02

T he purple is too sheer for my liking.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 10:14:00 PM More reviews by ChinaGlazeJunkie

I love using this as a primer for my eyeshadow. It makes the purple deeper and I don't have any fall out. There's been a few times I've been on deadline and been able to sleep a few hours. When I wake up it looks like I just put it on which lets me get a bit more sleep. I apply it with a brush and it goes on evenly. Since I never use it on its own I can't say anything about that, but I did notice its very sheer and not like the color in the jar. Since I use it under my normal es I will be buying it again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Mollieismehehe

I don't like this stuff. Not at all. It's supposed to be super creamy and pigmented. The color is not even or pigmented. Its thin and looks cheap. NO. just no.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/4/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Audrey0

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A false advert is a false advert. This purple is not like the ads and worse still, applies very unevenly. Difficult to work with because as you smooth it over skin it kind of clumps up even after you keep working with it it keeps sliding around. Would not think of wearing it alone. You would have to top it off with a shadow to get the purple shown in the ads. Skip this color and try Bad to the Bronze. I also have Mossy Green, which is better than this purple one, but not as good as Bad to the Bronze.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2013 7:51:00 PM More reviews by JonMoss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love the Color Tattoo line, these eye shadows offer the bold brilliance of a cream shadow with the longevity of a powder shadow. I think the low rating for this color as compared to the other ones is due to some having a different expectation of the color outcome. I know I did! On the outside of the pot, I thought the color would be a more bold purple, however, it's pretty 'tame'. I have come to like this color. It looks beautiful on dark brown eyes as a lonely shade swept over the eyelid.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by moonmaiden1975

Horrible. When applied, clumps and won't glide on smooth. Can't get color to build. Sorry Maybelline. I'm going back to my Urban Decay FLASH. It never let me down.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/15/2012 7:04:00 PM More reviews by metisroyalty

I just loved this eyeshadow in the other shades I have, so when I saw that they were $4.89 as opposed to almost $10 I picked up two: Painted Purple and Tenacious Teal. This review is for the purple.
As many of the reviews say, the opacity of this eyeshadow in the jar is misleading. When applied to my eyelid it does not show up, and looks quite muddy. I tried to layer it to have the colour build up but it just doesn't look that nice. Definitely won't purchase this shade again but I'll try to find ways to make it work.