Maybelline Master Shape

2.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Greasy and soft, but it skips over the place leaving loose crumbs sitting visibly in the hairs like dandruff? Both the plastic and wooden versions are so greasy and soft, I can't sharpen to a point, will not cover scars, and melts off my brows within an hour.

***
CAUTION: COELIAC & GLUTEN INTOLERANT. Contains gluten (tocopherol)! Made my eyebrows swell up and feel sore and itchy for a week, and caused my brow hairs to fall out. Maybelline does not currently label would label what products are gluten-free.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Wow, this was a fantastic product until I had to sharpen it. I had to turn to Google because I couldn't believe a plastic stick would be sharpened with a normal sharpener - surely there was a way to twist it to sharpen? But no. Now it's torture to use. It's a shame because it's so hard to find auburn brow pencils.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I purchased the AUS version which has a wooden base instead of plastic, which is why I have no problem with the packaging. The product itself works really well and goes on smoothly. It looks quite natural, and since it's a more waxy texture, I tend to set it with a powder. Throughout the day, the product on my brows didn't fade away (6+ hours) which is super awesome because I won't have to worry about my brows :D
Overall, I would definitely repurchase this product and recommend it to others! x(:

The thing I'm confused about with Maybelline's Master Shape Brow Pencil is that I've seen two versions of it in US stores: one with a wood casing and the other hell-sent plastic casing that seems to be the cause of all the negative reviews I've read about this. I've never tried the one with the plastic casing, and God forbid I ever do, but the one with the wood casing is actually great!

The shade I worked with for about 2 months is Deep Brown, which was a great match for my natural brows and dark brown/black hair. The pencil itself seems standard. In fact, the product itself is soft and creamy, and so easy to blend I could probably double it as eyeliner, but for how much this is ($6-7) I'd save it for my brows and stick to a pencil that I use exclusively as an eyeliner, especially considering that this product seems to no longer be in stock at easy-to-shop retailers like Ulta and Target--no surprise why, considering the bad rap the plastic version of this pencil has.

However, because the product is soft, I feel like I go through it rather quickly; I have to sharpen often. I am a religious user of Maybelline's Expert Wear Twin Brow/Eye Pencils since they're cheap and a good middle ground between a soft and stiff pencil, and I feel like they last me forever (about a year) as a result. But I've only used the Master Shape Brow Pencil every other day for about 2 months and I'm at a little over half the pencil left at the time of writing this review. If I used the pencil everyday, I might be done with it in a little over a month! In addition, the product does smudge easily so it doesn't wear all day like the Expert Wear Twin Brow/Eye Pencils do.

My favorite feature of this pencil is the spoolie on the other end. It's a little stiff, but it grooms my brows quickly before and after applying the product, and it blends out the harsh lines drawn with the pencil. It negates the need for a separate brow brush that I would have otherwise needed with the Expert Wear Twin Brow Pencils, making this a great product to throw in my bag when I'm in a hurry and have to groom on the go... as always. I love that the spoolie also has a CAP! This wouldn't be a big deal if I left the pencil at home in a clean environment, but my bag gets thrown around a lot and I hate the idea of dust or dirt or other powder cosmetics getting trapped on an open-air brush or spoolie and that goes back onto my face. Yuck. The included cap keeps the spoolie clean in my bag.

I definitely feel that the pencil is on the pricey side compared to the $4 Expert Wear Twin Brow/Eye Pencils ($2 each since they're two to a pack!), but the wood-case pencil, creamy consistency, spoolie end, and cap over the spoolie for $7 tops can't seem to be matched at the same affordability. The only things that keep this from being my favorite brown pencil are a need for a little stiffer product, and maybe a twist-up product to negate the need for a separate sharpener. It's a shame I can't seem to find this at local retailers anymore.

I absolutely love this product. I have it in dark brown and I prefer the plastic. I noticed a lot of people talking about sharpening the plastic, that seems like a horrible idea. You don't need to sharpen this product at all. Just pull off the spoolie brush, mines black. Just pull the entire end off when you need more product. Then take the white plastic thing out of the pencil and push the crayon down through the open back. I use a q-tip to do mine. Then pop the top back on! It's easy. I can see how maybe a swivel top might be a better package design but the product is too good to pass up. Perfect color match too! Try taking the top spoolie part off. Hope I helped! :)

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This eyebrow pencil seems to be a hit or miss with people. Personally, I like it. I bought the Auburn shade. It is very hard to find products focused at redheads, so I had to give it a try.
My experience with it so far has been positive. It fills in my brows, giving adequate color and definition. I'm not heavy handed with it, so it doesn't come off as 'mask like.'
I have been using it for a few weeks, and have not found issue with the texture. Some people say this pencil is very waxy. I just apply it lightly, and it still stays put all day.
Honestly, you'll just have to try it to see if it is to your preference. But with the variety of shades, this brow pencil is worth a try.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Other

This is the only makeup product I have really truly hated. I bought this in a hurry for around 10 euros (not cheap) and it is just awfull. It has almost no color pigment and it was waxy like a cheap lipstick. Also the brush on the other end has this metallic end that hurts my skin. The worst brow pencil I have ever tried.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

DO NOT BUY THIS. This is a horrible eyebrow pencil! It is way to creamy, it rubs off on clothes from the slightest touch, & its just doesn't serve any purpose that a eyebrow pencil should have. The only thing thats good about this is the brush on the end, but you can buy a brush like that anytime. Literally its a waste of your money, dont buy it! If they made it that creamy it might as well be a eyeliner pencil, not eyebrow.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

When I first got this about a year ago I hated it. It was plastic but needed to be sharpened with a pencil sharpener. They no longer make them out of plastic. I like how waxy the pencil is, and the spoolie helps me blend it. The dark brown doesn't have any red undertones. I have replaced this a half dozen times and will keep using it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I just got this pencil in Auburn, and I had to try it out right away. Anytime I see a brow color for red hair I try to pick it up, because they're really hard to find. This pencil especially caught my eye, because it comes with a grooming brush attached to the end of the pencil. What surprised me about this pencil is how waxy it is. It's almost like using a pomade. The color payoff is really subtle too. It's really almost too subtle. Fortunately, I tint my super fair eyebrows so this was just perfect. When my tint wears off, I'll fill my brows in with something else and use this more as a grooming aid. To add a litte color and groom the brows, this is great. To fill in super thin or sparse brows, this won't work.

Popular Brows Products