September 17, 2014 | 852 users online

Concealers - L'Oreal - Magic Lumi

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 8:27:00 PM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this maily as a concealer for about two years. I don't hate it but it's not my HG either.

Me: dry skin, especially undereye. I need light coverage for purpley-skin right under inner eye area.

Pros: not drying, doens't settle in fine lines very much

Cons: I really don't need much coverage - this just isn't enough for even me. The very liquidy formula sometimes kind of "washes off" my foundation if used on top (for highliter or concealer). Sometimes it looks OK by the end of the day and soemtimes doesn't. I can't figure out why the inconsistency.

I like the packaging except for the 5,000 twists it takes to get product to start flowing. The brush doesn't get it as smooth as I like it but I don't expect ANY brush for any <$10 proudct to do the job of a quality brush. I like that the included brush is very slim. I can get it under my very long bottom lashes. I can precision apply it just where I want it. Then smooth it out with my I.T. concealer brush.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2013 9:36:00 PM More reviews by dramaqueenad

I love contouring and i bought this product as a highlighter.At first i really liked the texture because it lighter than the creamy concealers. However the pencil is not enough to blend it. i always have to use a sponge. Does a pretty good job in terms of highlighting. Today was the 3rd time i use it and after washing my face i was horrified to find my skin had become really red burning and sore. i dont know if its just me but i think i might be allergic to one of the ingredients....

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 6:06:00 PM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

i'm surprised at the multitude of so/so reviews for this product, although of course we're all different and expect different things from a particular cosmetic. for me, this is heavenly! i have extremely fair skin (NC15-20) and VERY dark blue/purple circles that are never completely covered up regardless of the products and techniques i'm using. i have many wonderful concealers, some of my favorites being Bobbi Brown's Concealer & Corrector, Benefit's Erase Paste, and Laura Mercier's Secret Concealer, but on their own they're just never enough. i decided to try this Magic Lumi Concealer (shade Light/Pale, which is VERY pale) as a last step on my concealing journey and i use it after my concealer of choice, only dotting it along the very bottom of my circles (the darkest part), and then carefully blending with the tip of my Sonia Kashuk BeautyBlender-knockoff until everything is seamless. i moisturize the skin under my eyes very well and yet i must stress that when using this product, you have to really take your time to blend it carefully in so that it doesn't look 'makeup-y'. this product makes a WORLD of difference in the final outcome of my circles-- instead of the average 75% concealed, they are now atleast 90% gone! and the whole area under my eyes just looks very bright and alive and fresh. i also use this right under my bottom lashline and that brightens things up even more. the sequence in which i apply my makeup goes like this: first, apply concealer, after that apply foundation, then dot/blend the Magic Lumi on my darkest area under eyes, then carefully set concealer and Lumi with a very fine brushing of Laura Mercier's Secret Brightening Powder. i find that if i do the concealer and Lumi first, i can disrupt my undereye area while applying foundation with my Beauty Blender. as for wear, the Lumi stays put until i remove my makeup (i know that the Secret Brightening Powder is integral to making creamy concealers set and stay put) and rinses away easily with my facewash. the only negatives i find with this product are that even with the most careful application, if i get right smack up against the mirror i can 'see' the product somewhat, and i am hyper-conscious about my face makeup being undetectable. i'm not upset by the small amount of product that you get, because i only use such a tiny bit at a time and can see this lasting me months. the worst thing about this product is probably the inability to correctly gauge how many clicks you need for the right amount of product to come out. everytime i use this pen i have to click-twist the bottom atleast 15 times before even a teensy bit of concealer starts coming out, and i'm always worried too much will be dispensed and then wasted. if they could make that mechanism work a little better, this would be a perfect product. for all the good it does, though, i'm willing to overlook the imperfect packaging. it gives me such a fresh, bright look by knocking out my dark (and EVER PRESENT) circles that i'm thrilled! on an end note, i can see why some people don't like using this alone as a concealer, because if you don't have the perfect color then it could look too bright and strange. personally i can use it alone, but it's probably because i'm so ghostly pale. if this isn't working for you, try a few different techniques before giving up on it, it can be a very useful product!
*EDIT* just wanted to add that i am now using this just on top of foundation under my eyes and it's working beautifully. instead of using concealer lately, i've just been using my Revlon Colorstay foundation under my eyes as well as on the rest of my face and then i'm using the Lumi to cover the darkest parts of my circles. it's working beautifully and is no longer detectable closeup after a light sweep of LM Secret Brightening Powder. great product, it's actually better than the Chanel Touche Eclat-type concealer pen i'd used before, and it's available at the drugstore. i will definitely repurchase.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by englande

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This pen is OK. It is more of a highlighter than concealer. It does brighten up a bit underneath my eyes. Don't buy it if you're trying to hide blemishes or spots. I use it mostly for my contouring (over my foundation) as the highlighting shade. It blends well for that! But if you're looking to conceal imperfections, I wouldn't use this. It is somewhat watery and goes on very thin so it works well on top of foundations and other concealers without giving you a caked look. It takes a long time to dispense, which is annoying. I always have to give it several clicks (at least 5-10) to see any results. Plus, it is hard to control the amount dispensed. I've run out fairly quickly (about a month) so I probably won't be buying it again since it was fairly pricey at $12+

rated 2 of 5 on 11/19/2013 8:36:00 AM More reviews by furbilicious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really excited when this product first came out, because L'Oreal is known for their great quality, and I have extremely dark circles.
First off, this product cannot be used alone, for circles, it just doesn't have ample staying power and easily wears off.
Secondly, if you put it on top of a concealer, it looks good, at first, but a few hours later easily wears off.
Thirdly, the packaging, SUCKS, it takes super long for the product to come out onto the brush, and I feel like it isn't very sanitary.
Definitely will not be purchasing this again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2013 8:18:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What a let-down this product has turned out to be. Knowing that L'Oreal has a lot of high quality products for a drugstore brand, I decided to give this concealer a try. I wish I hadn't, now!

For starters, the "packaging".... It took me forever to get any product to appear on the brush and even more twisting and twisting and TWISTING to get enough to apply to my under eye area. I've used numerous of this style of product before (YSL, Clarins, Lise Watier) so I know it can take a while when you first use this but, honestly, about about a bazillion twists, I thought I'd got a defective tube. Then, I finally got some of the product and all I can say is that it was NOT worth the wait. I got this in the 2nd lightest shade (Fair, I think). This does very little to conceal my under-eye circles in any meaningful way and leaves my under-eye area looking sort of grey. I'm left having to apply Bare Minerals' Well-Rested over top of it to do a half decent job of concealing my dark circles.

For what this is and for how little you get and for how it performs, I find this to be on the pricey side simply because it's a waste of money. Far better to spend a bit more and get Clarins, which does a half decent job! I wouldn't buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2013 10:36:00 AM More reviews by athinapolitis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this concealer for the under eye area. I purchased this for $12 and it's only 1ml so I find it expensive. They have 3 shades, light (which I have), medium and dark (which isn't that dark). I find it to have very light coverage and a little bit of a brightening effect. I prefer to out this under my foundation because it just looks better than over top, but when you put your foundation on the concealer is gone. I don't have dark under eyes, or circles, just a bit of red/purple. I like the packaging how it's a twisty but I don't think I would but it again. PROS: packaging, brightening. CONS: expensive, light coverage, not a lot of shades, disappears, not a lot of product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 3:52:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I purchased this product in the shade "Fair" and let me tell you, it is FAIR. Almost white! For a drugstore product to be this fair, I am impressed. It actually gave me "reverse panda eyes!" I need to keep wearing this product to review, but wanted to make a note of the light shade for those who are searching.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/20/2013 7:56:00 AM More reviews by aliciagrasby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was looking for an under eye highlighting pen but have trouble finding concealers light enough for my skin tone so when I found this I was very happy. First off, this is marketed as a highlighting pen NOT a concealer (a mistake I made prior to purchase) however I still used it as I would an under eye concealer.

Upon first application it goes on smooth, blends easily and you don't need very much on your under eye area. However once blended the highlighting effect was very minimal. It also looked VERY cakey and layered horribly. Also if I used this on my forehead or down my nose it would take off my foundation. If I used a concealer under it, it hardly gave a brightening effect at all. Not worth the effort.

I would not recommend this to anyone nor would I repurchase it. Definitely not worth the hassle.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2013 11:52:00 PM More reviews by confessionsonadancefloor

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

After my positive (but not overwhelmingly so) experience with Maybelline's dream lumi touch, I decided to give L'Oreal's magic lumi concealer stick a try. The beauty advisor at the drugstore was very friendly, helping me find my ideal shade. If there is no one in reach to help you choose a shade, don't fret --- there's only 4 shades to choose from. We tested it on my arm and on my cheek, and it seemed to do the trick and so I purchased it.

The next morning, I had put on my foundation and concealer as usual and used this under my eyes, around the corners of my mouth, beside and under my nostrils, and over my eyebrows. To say I was disappointed would be understating it. I got the lightest shade (certainly it's lighter than my natural skin tone,) and it was still too 'dark' in the sense that it didn't show. After blending it into your skin, it disappears. No illumination, no concealing abilities. I decided to try it out the next morning before I put anything on and I had the same problem. It simply blended into my skin like moisturizer and there was nothing to show for it.

Thankfully I was able to return it, no questions asked. I really have no other compliment to pay this product aside from it's attractive packaging. If this IS a product that happens to work for you, more power to you. But I highly suggest steering clear of this.

PROS:
- Attractive packaging, and small enough to put in your pocket

CONS:
- Only 4 shades to choose from
- A bit difficult to blend
- Once blended, product did NOT show at all
- No illumination, no concealing provided