October 21, 2014 | 885 users online

Eyeliner - Essence - Gel Eyeliner

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2014 10:00:00 AM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm somewhat on the fence about this liner.
I guess I'll go through the negatives first, since there aren't really all that many, but the ones that exist are kind of big.
First off, the formula is HARD. I mean extremely dry and difficult to work with. Perhaps it's just the pot I purchased, but I have to dip back into the pot with my liner brush numerous times to get a clean line. Very strange.
The packaging might be the cause of that, since it is not sealed in the store and likely have been opened numerous times, exposing it to the air. Also, the cap doesn't tighten very well, so I foresee this liner drying out completely very soon.
Those two points are close to making me say I would not repurchase, but the outcome once it's on is so great that I'm tempted to say I'd go back in for another pot.
First off, it's quite black. As gel liners go, it's darker than most I've seen. It's very black and matte, which is great since some regular liquid liners don't give that effect. I really love how it looks.
Also, it STAYS. And stays and stays and stays. My eyelids are quite oily (though I do use a primer and a pretty long-lasting shadow) and this stuff holds on for dear life. That's a big selling point for me.
Overall, I do like this liner. I just wish the formula was easier to work with. Perhaps I'll try buying another pot online so I know it's not been tampered with and see if it's any smoother.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 3:11:00 AM More reviews by ladylazarus

Just a heads-up: the black gel eyeliner from this collection (called 01 midnight in paris) is still being produced, but the other colours (a teal and a grey) have been discontinued worldwide. midnight in paris is so spot-on in terms of lasting power, pigmentation, ease of use, and value for one's money that I believe Essence would have a hit if they brought back the discontinued colours. As far as midnight in paris goes, I would repurchase--which speaks volumes, considering that I don't wear eyeliner on a daily basis--and I am inclined to stock up in case Essence axes this eyeliner (as they are, unfortunately, wont to do with their best products).

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2014 7:15:00 AM More reviews by thisisntleya

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first gel eyeliner and I LOVE IT! It's so easy to use and goes on your lids so easily. It dries up quickly though so you'll have to apply it quickly. I guess that's the only bad thing about this eyeliner. Otherwise it's bloody fabulous. Oh, it also comes off pretty easily as well and it doesn't even stain your skin (like liquid eyeliner does) so I am very very pleased with this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 7:34:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

I bought 3 pots (w two essence eyeliner brushes... 2 in case I lose 1!!), just in case it was d/c'ed, at Ulta which I decided I was going to buy all they had if I found it....this is awesome!! Very black & very waterproof. Essence is a brand worth checking out, I plan to try some other products in this line the next time I visit Ulta. I always passed their display, passing it off as a cheapo line without much selection or quality, but obviously I was greatly mistaken. Their black liquid waterproof eyeliner is awesome too if they do d/c the gel then I'd suggest trying it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by marijajelcic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first gel liner (used to buy the ones pen shaped) and I absolutely love this thing. It stays on long, doesn't smudge, I have it in black and it's amazing. The price is really good for what you get so I'm planing to get this one again when I run out of it, since eyeliner is one thing I couldn't ditch when it comes to make up :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 3:45:00 PM More reviews by sabrinadelrey

SO this is the best liner i have ever used, and I live off of eyeliner, i swatched it and it doesn't budge even with soap you have to use makeup remover, so I think it's safe to say that you could go swimming with this baby. I have the black jar and i apply it with a pointy sonia kashuk brush i got from Target, and to make it even better the company is cruelty free!!!!! YAY! Definitely amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2014 9:00:00 PM More reviews by princessho

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

HG eyeliner. Perfection, never comes off unless you use makeup remover, great pigmentation and super easy to apply!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 11:02:00 AM More reviews by ellapuggle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

MacPeester I just got some a couple days at Fred Meyer! I was not too happy with this eyeliner in the black color. Gel eyeliners I put on before I put my contacts in because the liner almost always sticks to my contacts. This liner kind of balls up on my waterline in some places and then manages to get on my contacts throughout the day which drives me crazy! I will probably never re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by MacPeetster

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

HELP!! This product seems to be discontinued.. Can't find it on their website, sent them an e-mail and waiting for them to reply. But I do see recent posts.. I live in NL and it's out of store. If I would have known I would have stashed!! So sad; I hope it will be renewed or something. Does anybody know?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 9:57:00 AM More reviews by Sunnydelite62901

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't belive I have not reviewed this product yet! I have had it for over a year and it still not empty or dried out like the Mac gel pot gets. its very black stays in place easy to remove with a makeup remover of your choice (I use origins oil cleanser or ponds) it will give you clean lines or you can smudge it very quickly, cause it sets fast. but over all cheap large size and works well. Just as good as the more expensive gel pots if not better.