April 18, 2014 | 917 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Shu Uemura - UV Underbase Mousse SPF 30+

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2013 9:07:00 PM More reviews by avel

It's lightweight and mattifies instantaneously. I love its fragrance. I gave it a 4 star because it's drying when worn alone. However, it's great as a makeup base. It keeps my face shine-free throughout the day. The packaging is great but I think the pump should dispense lesser product. No matter how careful I press the pump, it always dispense a giant blob of foam, which sometimes I don't like :(

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2013 5:33:00 PM More reviews by sonia4szehwa

I like it's texture, I don't know if it's the correct way to apply it, but i rub my face with both hands and I think it goes on quite well. Other than the fact that it highlights my blazing dark eye circles, I think it's a good product :) but I wouldn't buy again

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2013 3:01:00 AM More reviews by RinaW

I use this with shu's matte face powder, to get a natural-looking light coverage, evening out my skintone. (If I need full coverage I use their liquid foundation too. But I rarely do.) Its light and has spf30 which is a bonus as I tan easily.

I haven't experienced any problems with the packaging.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/29/2013 3:18:00 PM More reviews by hambo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I really regret purchasing this - I have to remember that everything looks good under Holt Renfrew's lights, which is basically like candlelight. Anyway, this leaves a very noticeable whitish-gray cast on my skin.I think this will only look natural on those who are really fair (I'm a medium-fair Asian). Also, looking at the bottle more carefully it says it's "highly flammable" which is kind of disturbing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2012 5:46:00 AM More reviews by smootsa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

i bought beige and i love this super light mousse on my nc20 skin applied with a foundation brush. this is the lightest spf product i've ever used. it disappears into my skin and dries to a soft dewy finish with a bit of oil control, and somehow manages to markedly improve my skintone while at the same time being completely invisible. sheer genius.
as i need a bit more coverage i use powder, concealer or foundation on top (water-based). if you're unsure i recommend doing an A-B test - make up one side of your face with the underbase and one side without. for me there's a clear difference, and i don't want to be without this product now ;-)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/25/2012 10:58:00 AM More reviews by sisika

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh wow. I've never written a review on MakeupAlley (I think) but I logged in to write this. Cutting all the crap about how my expectations were high and I did much research before purchase, this was one of the WORST PRODUCTS I'VE EVER USED in my life. First, it smells like frozen yoghurt (pleasant but not when it's on my face). Second, when I apply it, within half an hour it starts to peel off. I mean PEEL off... like dead skin cells or something. I gave it to my friend to try (to see if the same thing happens) and yep, same result. She couldn't believe there were good reviews online for this stuff. It's all Shu Uemura's marketing, I'm telling you. I'm still in shock at how bad the product is.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2012 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Maggc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I am onto my second bottle of UV base mousse in purple. It works to brighten and correct the yellow undertone of my asian skin. Foundation lasts longer with the mousse. It is my HG base for prepping my skin before makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2012 8:30:00 PM More reviews by mwtai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have used 3 (beige, white efficient and tsuya) out the 5 available UV under base mousse and will attempt to summarise the differences between the 3 in this review.

Beige is a very light beige foam and looks the most natural on skin with yellow undertones. There is minimal tint, in fact I'd say it is pretty much sheer so unless you have really good skin, I wouldn't bank on using just this for coverage. As it contains witch hazel it should help with pores and oil control. I have oily-combo skin and personally find that it does minimise my pores and controls oil somewhat. It applies evenly and dries to a nice smooth finish which feels very slightly powdery to the touch.

White efficient (purple) is a very light purple foam which is supposed to even out the yellowness in yellow skin tones resulting in a brightened skin tone. I'm a NC20 and this leaves a very slight purple-white cast immediately after application. It shouldn't be an issue if you're going to use foundation over this but if you are planning to wear it alone, it may not look natural for anyone darker than NC/NW20. Like the beige mousse, this also blends well into the skin (no streaks) and dries to a nice smooth finish.

Tsuya skin is the latest offering and is a peach tone foam which is a tad darker than beige. It is supposedly more moisturising and is therefore thicker/heavier than the usual mousses. I personally find this one difficult to work with. It is much harder to apply (streaks galore!) and instead of blending into the skin, it seems to form a film over the skin. The finish also differs to the regular mousses in that it dries to a tacky, slightly sticky finish. What I found the most frustrating is that if you rub your face, the film starts to flake off in these little peach peels which is really unsightly. You're supposed to use less mousse with the tsuya version and I did try this but still experienced the same problems with the finish and peeling. The tint in this one is also the strongest of the lot and unfortunately oxidises on oily skin. On me, it turned a slightly rusty colour on my T zone which is the oiliest part of my face. Also, for those sensitive to fragrance, the light floral scent that all the mousses have is also the strongest in this version.

In summary, I'd personally stick to the regular mousses. I tend to wear these alone over moisturiser and so would only use the white efficient in winter when I'm at my fairest (NC15-20) and the beige for the rest of the year. I intend to try the pink one next as I'm hoping it'll provide a more natural brightening effect that the white efficient version. Will update when I've tested it out!

Finally, a quick note on the sunscreen component - I wore this everyday on top of my spf15 moisturiser in the middle of summer in Japan where I was outdoors most of the time and I did not burn let alone tan.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

One of my holy grail, desert island products. I have beige and the brightening pink/purple. Shu's UV Underbase Mousse is like the Witness Protection Program for pores. I don't even wear foundation over this; I just powder and go. Pores are near-impossible to find after that. I love the high SPF. The tacky (but light... weird) finish is a dealbreaker for some, but I find that the finish becomes powdery and light as it sets. Inevitably, my first dollop of a new canister is too much, and the suggested dose of "ping pong" is far too much, but by applying just the slightest pressure, I am quickly able to get into the grove of small foamy blobs. I am NW5 so neither mousse is too pale for me. The brightening one in particular is lovely.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2012 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Decobalgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand why this product gets so many good reviews around the web. It looks like a great concept and the online tutorials made me salivate. I love a light textured mousse. The SPF and skin evening qualities sounded like wonderful bonuses. Unfortunately, I didn't like it on, at all. Which is sad because I love Shu Uemura and have been using their products for 25 years.

I didn't like that the product left my skin looking ashen. It's not necessarily too light, but there's something ghostly about it's tone. The worst thing is that it went on sticky. Not smooth and wet to powdery dry, but wet to sticky. With a ghostly ashen after[non]glow. I looked blood drained by a vampire, and I dare not touch my face for fear of having my hand permanently stuck to my skin.

Packaging is on the lame end of the spectrum, for a global high end brand like Shu. It feels more drugstore than department store. I haven't had too much trouble with the nozzle but you have to be very careful about not dispensing too much as it's easy to do.

Sorry, this was not for me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No