Lancome Magie Noire

3.5

on 4/19/2011 9:56:00 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the true Magie Noire should be considered "discontinued." Lancome still produces something called Magie Noire, in a glass bottle. However, this is a pale and anemic distant cousin to the vintage smell. Do not be fooled by an initial similar smell if you try the new one. I compared both, one on each wrist, the vintage I'd put on in the morning far outlasted the new formulation's smell. I finally tracked down a vintage bottle at some random perfume outlet near Chicago. I refused to buy something over the internet. The old box containing the edt used to have little v's over the O in Noire if that helps. Edit: I have to cringe when I hear that raspberry is a note in MN. I discern no raspberries in it, nothing fruity. It's a mysterious oakmoss chypre.

on 12/27/2010 9:18:00 PM

I had no idea Lancome still sold this fragrance, that is how much I shop in department stores these days. Its a warm, slightly spicy sort of witchy ( in a good way ) scent...

Very big back in the late 80s, when you'd get a small bottle with practically every gift-with-purchase from Lancome. Not something I would have purchased, but getting it for free in the gifts, I decided to use it, and found that it was the one perfume that everyone loved on me. I'd never get compliments on the scents I picked for myself like I got when I wore this, and it did nothing for me when smelling it from the bottle - but sometimes you have to go with what works with your body chemistry, and this really works on me!
Anyway, came across it while Xmas shopping. The bottle has changed. Thought for old time's sake I'd purchase, though the bottle will probably last me forever. I forget to wear perfume most days, and if I do remember, I love Egyptian Musk oil...cheap, and a definite man magnet....but it will be nice to have this, for special occasions or for when I just feel sentimental.

on 7/11/2010 3:12:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

A green chypre in the classic sense with a touch of sweetness in the florals. Well done, but a bit too classic for my personality.

on 7/6/2010 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There is something very cool in this fragrance- it reminds me of the first day of fall, the first day that the air turns crisp and cool, and what a relief it is, after all the steam heat of summer. I've worn this fragrance for 25+ years, and I never intend to be without it. A unique scent- I know of nothing similar.

at first I liked this fragrance as it reminds me of my early childhood
on the eighties it was very nostalgic.but then I DID NOT like it anymore
when I use it although it has a staying power the smell of fragrance
has a bitter scent which I dislike especially on summer this bitter
smell makes me wants to vomit when I use it

I don't wear this, but it's my mom's signature fragrance. I have never smelled anyone else wearing it, but when I do, I'm immediately reminded of her and my childhood (late 80s-early 90s). It's unfortunately discontinued now, but I'm still able to see many bottles on Ebay, thankfully. She gets one as a present every year :)

on 10/30/2009 12:05:00 AM

I love this fragrance. It smells like eating a raspberry filled Godiva dark chocolate after casting a spell for romance...captivating, intoxicating, deep, and delicious...not for the faint of heart.

on 10/26/2009 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I used to wear this in high school in the early 80's. I loved it, along w/my Borghese & Raffinee. Anyway, just for fun I tried this at Ulta today. It smells a lot like it did and yet it's definitely missing something. It feels like it's lost its soul. I don't know how else to describe it. Like a facade. However, If you never wore the original and enjoy woody scents you may like this.

on 9/13/2009 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My mum had the "vintage" perfume in the '80s, and I loved it. It was THE perfume..The opening was sharp, yet mellow and the drydown was mellow , yet sharp. Undescribably beautiful..Sadly,I can't find the the notes that made it such a special fragrance in any of the two reformulations , which I am sure it suffered.I travel a lot and have searched for the real Magie Noire in many countries, without success,I even wrote to Lancome and asked about the missing (or added) ingredient, but the reply was not helpful.It anybody can find the 80s MN in the round glass/plastic bottle with yellow and orange stripes, please get it for me:)

on 5/8/2009 12:36:00 AM

Well... let me just say that this fragrance is very popular. When I worked for Lancome lots of customers would ask for it. It has been out for YEARS! However, it is really not my cup of tea so to speak. It is a bit strong smelling and reminds me of something an older individual would wear but everyone is different so I am not sure. I just prefer lighter or more oriental smelling fragrances.

Popular Fragrances