July 28, 2014 | 2032 users online

Fragrances - Lancome - Magie Noire

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2010 3:12:00 PM More reviews by tessture

A green chypre in the classic sense with a touch of sweetness in the florals. Well done, but a bit too classic for my personality.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2010 12:59:00 AM More reviews by mommafletch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

There is something very cool in this fragrance- it reminds me of the first day of fall, the first day that the air turns crisp and cool, and what a relief it is, after all the steam heat of summer. I've worn this fragrance for 25+ years, and I never intend to be without it. A unique scent- I know of nothing similar.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2010 9:28:00 AM More reviews by shereenmohsen

at first I liked this fragrance as it reminds me of my early childhood
on the eighties it was very nostalgic.but then I DID NOT like it anymore
when I use it although it has a staying power the smell of fragrance
has a bitter scent which I dislike especially on summer this bitter
smell makes me wants to vomit when I use it

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2010 3:35:00 PM More reviews by amaiaisabella

I don't wear this, but it's my mom's signature fragrance. I have never smelled anyone else wearing it, but when I do, I'm immediately reminded of her and my childhood (late 80s-early 90s). It's unfortunately discontinued now, but I'm still able to see many bottles on Ebay, thankfully. She gets one as a present every year :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2009 12:05:00 AM More reviews by darkhoney

I love this fragrance. It smells like eating a raspberry filled Godiva dark chocolate after casting a spell for romance...captivating, intoxicating, deep, and delicious...not for the faint of heart.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2009 12:17:00 AM More reviews by reikigoddess

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used to wear this in high school in the early 80's. I loved it, along w/my Borghese & Raffinee. Anyway, just for fun I tried this at Ulta today. It smells a lot like it did and yet it's definitely missing something. It feels like it's lost its soul. I don't know how else to describe it. Like a facade. However, If you never wore the original and enjoy woody scents you may like this.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/13/2009 3:45:00 PM More reviews by albinaalba

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My mum had the "vintage" perfume in the '80s, and I loved it. It was THE perfume..The opening was sharp, yet mellow and the drydown was mellow , yet sharp. Undescribably beautiful..Sadly,I can't find the the notes that made it such a special fragrance in any of the two reformulations , which I am sure it suffered.I travel a lot and have searched for the real Magie Noire in many countries, without success,I even wrote to Lancome and asked about the missing (or added) ingredient, but the reply was not helpful.It anybody can find the 80s MN in the round glass/plastic bottle with yellow and orange stripes, please get it for me:)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2009 12:36:00 AM More reviews by VividGypsy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Well... let me just say that this fragrance is very popular. When I worked for Lancome lots of customers would ask for it. It has been out for YEARS! However, it is really not my cup of tea so to speak. It is a bit strong smelling and reminds me of something an older individual would wear but everyone is different so I am not sure. I just prefer lighter or more oriental smelling fragrances.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Notes: Blackcurrant, Hyacinth, Bergamot, Raspberry, Honey, Tuberose, Narcissus, Rose oriental, Patchouli, Vetiver, Civet, Castoreum

Nose: Gerard Goupy

This review is for Lancome Magie Noire EDT in the black bottle. Magie Noire means "black magic" in French and I find this title to be completely suitable. The opening to me was aldehydic but the best of the fragrance is after about 10 minutes when the aldehydes are gone. What's left is a simultaneously warm, mysterious, classy fragrance. I wouldn't call Magie Noire well blended as from my skin I get alternating wafts of sweet berry and honey, leather, spice, rich florals, and civet. The "poo-like" smell of civet is definitely there along with a bitter herbal-type scent as well. A dark, beautiful, classic fragrance I give 5 lippies to.
Edit: May 8/09: I tried the Magie Noire in the clear rectangular bottle that's now available at the department stores and it's significantly different from the Magie Noire in the black bottle. If you see the black bottle, snatch it up. The MN in the clear rectangular bottle is quite watered down with quite a bit more floral added. There's also a nail polish remover note in there that I didn't smell from the MN in the black bottle. Also, not as complex as MN in the black bottle. Dry-down is still quite skanky and not a bad fragrance at all but I personally prefer the old MN in the black bottle.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2009 8:00:00 PM More reviews by cavalletta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes, it does smell a bit of dead flowers...but just because you associate dead flowers with a cemetary does not mean that magie noire smells like a cemetary. Ahhh, what a silly comment. Moving on, this is a very mysterious scent. That is the perfect word to describe it. It, to me, is not overly sexy, girly, sophisticated, old-lady, or whatever else you want to call it. It is deep, cozy, very vintage and mysterious. Not for everyone, which should be evident by the fact that i like it.