July 29, 2014 | 1901 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. IV

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by makeupchameleon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE LOVE LOVE this palette! Purchased it in early September and have been using it nonstop every day! Would defiantly recommend this to anyone!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by bedazzeledberet

I do enjoy experimenting with this pallete as it has both natural and wild colours to mess about with, but some shadows were very disappointing.
Blue Bus looks very vibrant in the pan but on the eye, it looks very washed out.
Gunmetal is a very beautiful and pigmented colour that works well in any smokey eye or in the lower lash line.
Cobra is a very dark green colour with subtle sparkles, but again I was expecting a bit more of a vibrant green undertone.
Baked is, again, a very pigmented coper/gold colour that unfortunately doesn't get enough use from me.
Bender is a dark green but I don't like something about it, I don't know what though.
Gravity is a purple with a bit of a greyish undertone in my palette, whether this is just a dud, I cant be sure.
Lost is definitely one of my most used colour as it works so well in the crease and "outer v" if I want a lot of dark and dramatic definition.
Hijack is also one of my most unused colours as it never looks right on my eyes.
Midnight Cowgirl is a very girly colour and could possibly be worn everyday if used appropriately but the only downfall is the fallout.
Sin is one of my most used colours as it works so well as a base colour which I use pretty much every time I work with this pallette.
Midnight Rodeo is a good colour for the crease and "outer v" if I don't want my eyes to be too dramatic.
Crystal was definitely a very disappointing colour as it is very hard to get a lot of pigment on my eyes.
Bust is a very gentle brown which I usually use as a wash of colour on my lower lid.
Missionary is probably my most used wash of colour over my eyes as its so shimmery and just beautiful.
Skimp is a very sheer but shimmery colour and I also use it as a wash of colour.
Zephyr is one of my favourite inner corner and brow bone highlighters as it is so shimmery and very flattering on my eyes.

I always use UDPP on my eyes for maximum pigmentation and use a flat shadder brush for the best control of the shadow.

This pallette also comes with a speaker and cables to connect it with your phone, so you can scan the code on the code card and watch the tutorials provided to create looks using the pallette. There is also a pocket and mirror so you can watch the tutorial and use the mirror instead of stuggling to carry a mobile, a pallette pocket and mirror at once. Your are also provided with a mini UDPP, a curling mascara which is AMAZING, and liquid eyeliner which I really did not like.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2012 3:16:00 PM More reviews by MakeupLover321

I am quite dissapointed I payed like 50 pounds which is quite a lot for a palette. I bought it online and I was super excited. But the colours are kind of the same as the other palettes so i am not really happy. If you dont have the other palettes then i recommend it however if you do it's not worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2012 1:47:00 PM More reviews by STlCKY

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Found it at Nordstrom Rack for 28 dollars! Half the price! Looking at the shadows, I owned both Naked palettes, so the netural shadows seemed a bit redundant, but I couldn't pass up the price markdown for more Urban Decay shadows.

I hate the packaging on their Book of Shadows line, it's cute but definitely unnecessary. The bottom drawer that holds the makeup was hard to pull out at first, but I loosened it up after a couple tries.

The shadows are buttery as always, although the only one that disappointed me was Blue Bus. I wanted it to be vibrant as it was in the pan, but it didn't really work for me, with or without primer.

The small sample of the mascara and the primer potion are wonderful! The primer potion is amazing, but I don't really like the mascara since it's a wet formula and weighs my lashes down, clumping them.

The full sized liquid eyeliner was my first try at Urban Decay's liquid eyeliners. The pen shaped packaging led me to believe that it was a felt tip eyeliner, which I would liked, but sadly I was mistaken. It's still very pigmented and dries quickly, with no smudging. The only thing is that when I remove it, it comes off in clumps and flecks of it still cover my eye.

All in all, I'd definitely purchase this again but not at the $60 price tag that it had when it was first released.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2012 3:54:00 AM More reviews by reenerneener

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

i think what pissed me off most about this palette is how i payed $60 for it...when shortly after it was released, it was going for nearly half that. my bad, i guess. but i don't think this palette did as well as UD was anticipating. so i marked the price as high, even though you can probable find this palette on hautelook or nordstrom rack for an incredibly reasonable price.

for an actual review: first...packaging SUCKS. i know they're called 'BOOK of shadows...but this thing is the size of a bible. it is just impractical to carry around in my kit. i think if a client saw me pull out this huge palette they'd laugh. but i don't have the heart to depot it..so i guess i'll just deal with it :P the shadows are great, as usual with UD. i'm glad they finally steered away from making their shades intense glitter bombs.

this palette comes with a travel primer (in the new squeeze tube which is SO much better than the genie bottle) as well as a full sized liquid liner & a travel sized mascara. it also comes with a speaker for your phone & some other dumb shit that i forgot about as soon as i got the palette. cool idea, i guess...but i don't need to use my makeup to watch videos..?

eeeeither way. if you can score this palette for cheap, then definitely do it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2012 11:49:00 PM More reviews by adipose

Let me start off by saying, I bought this product at Nordstrom Rack for $29, which was a very good deal to me. I've seen this product at 2 other Nordstrom Racks, so obviously, I encourage you to go out and buy it at the discounted price! (Sorry, non-US residents?)
I believe it retails for $60 something, and currently, it's on Amazon for $50-something. Which doesn't seem too bad, but, as a poor student who seldom wears makeup, I certainly would not shell out that kind of money.

Another caveat: I am like a total makeup n00b. However, I figured I needed to learn to how to apply this stuff, and after a failed, desultory foray into the world of [cough drugstore] makeup a few years ago, I decided to focus on more high-end products this time. A lot of bloggers/youtubers seem to be in the throes of some fervid love affair with the famous Naked palette, which admittedly appealed to me, but was considerably more than I wanted to pay...Fortunately, there are several colors in here that, to my eyes, look quite close to the Naked colors. At least two are the same (gunmetal, sin), and another very similar (baked vs half baked). Other colors that look Naked-ish to me: cobra, lost, midnight cowgirl/rodeo, skimp, bust, missionary. [Obviously, as there are many better--and cheaper--Naked dupes out there, I do not recommend purchasing the Book of Shadows _merely_ as a Naked substitute...]
There were a few different 'books' available at the store; I think Vol 3, but I liked the eye shadow colors in Vol 4 the best.
Among the shades I really liked (for reference, I am Asian with medium, olive-ish skin tone, and I think these colors are pretty suitable for me): cobra, baked, bender, lost, midnight cowgirl/rodeo, zephyr. Some colors I'm less fond of: blue bus, crystal, bust. I haven't tried all of them yet, but most of the ones I have tried are nicely pigmented and easy to apply.

There's also a 3.7mL sample of UD's famous primer potion, in Original (a kind of light shade, I think?). I can't compare it to other primers, as I've never used any...but I am very satisfied with this one; my eyelids do tend to get a bit greasy during the day, but the primer potion held up well even during these sweaty summer days. If only the sample was larger T__T
I haven't used the liquid liner (1.7mL) or mascara (5.4mL) much, but I don't have any complaints about those either.

Negatives:
I hate the stupid, ersatz, bulky packaging. Oh my god...who designed that stupid, gimmicky thing?? I hope they're not charging extra money for all the cardboard they wasted...It's like 2.5 inches thick for no apparent reason. It's unwieldy and the drawer is hard to take out. And what is up with the stupid butterflies? I ripped those things off...argh And why did they include a speaker?? I read a review that claimed Vol 4 is more expensive than Vol 3 because of all the extra 'goodies'...you've got to be kidding me...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2012 12:31:00 PM More reviews by anastacy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was on the fence about this palette from the start. I got an amazing deal so I decided to get it.

1st Impression - I saw the cheap plastic butterfly detailing on the inside and I was like what the heck is this? I really was not happy about it. Plus its really thick and bulky. The palette is a real pain to store.

Then when I swatched the e/s initally they all felt a little dry to the touch. These are the new reformulated e/s. The same formula is in the Roller Girl Palette and the 15th Anniversary Palette (this one is a bit of a mess - totally different story).

But like all the UD e/s palettes that I was on the fence about, I ended up really happy about the purchase. The e/s are very pimented. The only shades that were repeats for me were Sin, Gunmetal and Midnight Rodeo.

I heard mixed reviews about Blue Bus, but its a very vibrant yet buildable periwinkle shade. I like Cobra as well - its is an anitique golden black. NYX e/s in "Smokie Mountain" 145A is an EXACT dupe! No lie. Lol.

Stand out shades for me were Baked and suprisingly Crystal. Crystal was one of the shades that had me on the fence about this palette in the first place. I thought it was going be an obnoxious sky blue. But its is like nothing I've ever seen. It is a shimmery silver blue with some sort of brown/plummy undertone. The pics on websites dont do this color any justice.

Shades I could do without are - Midnight Rodeo (L'Oreal Infallible e/s in Bronzed Taupe is an EXACT dupe of this). Bust and Missionary are bit on the cool side for my skintone but are still usuable.

All the other shades not metioned are great as well.

I have not tried the Mascara as yet, the UDPP need no mention and the Perversion liquid eyeliner is a hit. It is user friendly with a skinny brush that is capable of making the darkest yet thinnest lines. The speaker is neither here nor there for me.

Overall, this palettes is a hit because its being sold at a discounted price and it features a good range of bright to neutral shades. If you are considering The Naked 2 Palette or the 15th Anniversary palette, I say get the BOS IV because you can get the best of both worlds without breaking the bank.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2012 11:32:00 PM More reviews by dsweet730

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I fell in love with the packaging when I first saw it. This is my very first palette! I got it at a very cheap price for the number of shadows in the box: Only $27 after tax on Hautelook.com.

The shadows are highly pigmented, and each shadow is unique. Some have a metallic finish, some have a sparkle finish (although I would prefer not such big chunks of glitter), etc. This palette can be used for any occasion (I normally do light smokey eyes for daytime, darker shadows for night. This palette caters to all my needs!). I love mixing the colors.

It came with the 24/7 liquid eyeliner (not a big fan. Gave it 2 lippys) and mascara (I don't normally wear mascara, so I can't be much of a judge for it). It also came with my ultimate favorite primer.

The only thing I wish was different was that I could take the shadows with me in my bag. Can't carry one such a giant box! That being said, the mirror is a little unnecessary since you would probably be around a clearer, better mirror at the time of this palette's usage.

This "book" is definitely a steal if you're able to catch a sale.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2012 2:05:00 PM More reviews by kimmiecheeks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this palette recently on a flash sale site. It only cost me $24 dollars (i think!) Really nice, the shadows of course are of GREAT quality and I did get quite the bargain. The eyeliner included is nice, and will try to use it more when I am out of my current liquid eyeliner. The mascara I won't be using anymore, it is a very wet formula and doesn't help with my very straight lashes. The primer potion included is always nice to have as backup, and the speaker included I have used to play music on my smartphone, though I think my smartphone is almost as loud as the speaker itself! My favorite eyeshadows in this palette so far are Hijack, Skimp and Bust. Hijack is just a beautiful teal, skimp is a great highlight color and Bust is a great blending color on my skintone. I wouldn't repurchase however, because I don't think I would need to, there's just so much product on here. Plus, it was limited edition.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2012 11:22:00 AM More reviews by lovebuzz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WHAT TYPE OF SKIN I HAVE: Fairish Medium skin, I do spray tan and use a lot of bronzer

I PAID: Got this product on Sale at my Nordstrom Rack, they DO have this product on Sale right now at the urban decay website, for 29 bucks. I got it for 30 bucks

PROS: *contains 3 highlight colors great for the inner corners of eyes to brighten!

*comes with the primer potion- great product, and its in a squeezie tube

CONS: *The glittery shadows leave you with a ton of fall out

*comes with a lot of neutral shadows but almost all of them are glittery :( therefore, you cant really use them on your lid AND crease or youll look like a xmas ornament

*the urban decay liquid liner is too hard to use, because it's too thin. Drawing a straight line is meerly impossibly with it

*Has a few obnoxious green and bright blue shades (5 shadows to be exact) I personally dont wear blue and green eyeshadows so those wont ever be used
*comes with a mini speaker you can plug into your cell phone for instance, not gonna lie, its a piece of junk with no bass- but it DOES work

*Comes with the UD mini mascara- this mascara is nothing great. its simply dark, wet mascara. doesnt add length

BOTTOM LINE: I have the UD naked palette, and it's a 100x better then this. I do like to use this for a few inbetween neutral greys, topes, and highlight colors, but to be honest it's nothing THAT great. Good thing I got it on sale

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No