Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Mineral Makeup SPF 15

3.8

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 7.80% [] OCTINOXATE 3.60% INGREDIENTS: VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER [] HDI/TRIMETHYLOL HEXYLLACTONE CROSSPOLYMER [] POLYSILICONE-11 [] SILICA [] POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE [] PHENYL TRIMETHICONE [] GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) SEED EXTRACT [] PANTHENOL [] CERAMIDE 2 [] CERAMIDE 3 [] GLYCERIN [] ERGOTHIONEINE [] SODIUM HYALURONATE [] C9-15 FLUOROALCOHOL PHOSPHATE [] TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE [] TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [] ASCORBYL PALMITATE [] CAPRYLYL GLYCOL [] ASCORBYL TOCOPHERYL MALEATE [] MAGNESIUM STEARATE [] NYLON-12 [] LAURETH-12 [] ALUMINA [] AMINOPROPYL ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE [] ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE [] [ /- MICA [] TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891) [] ZINC OXIDE (CI 77947) [] IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)]

on 10/23/2013 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have this product in the light color, Alabaster, as I deathly pale. I was worried that it would be too yellow or too dark for me as those are the most common problems with foundations, but neither turned out to be an issue. In fact, I found the powder to even out my skin tone quite pleasantly in a way that was surprisingly layerable (something one often cannot do with powder foundations) and natural. Once applied, my skin did look a bit flat, but that was easily solved by 1) applying blush (as I am so pale I always look unnatural with foundation on but before blush is applied), 2) dotting water in the places that looked over powdered (others might want to spritz water on their face - I just didn't have a spray bottle handy), and 3) lightly applying Bobbi Brown's Brightening Finishing Powder in Porcelain Pearl (though any lumenious powder would do) to the areas of my face where light would hit, such as the tops of the apples of my cheeks, the tip of my nose, right above my eyebrows, etc.

The only complaint I have about this Mineral Foundation Powder is that it contains titainium dioxide for sunscreen, which I'm sure is fine for 99% of people, but I have recently discovered that titainium dioxide, whether in liquid or powder form, just sucks the moisure right out of my skin. Over the course of the day wearing this, I can feel my skin getting drier and drier, and each time I look in the mirror, more flakes have appeared. Thus, I can wear this foundation powder only short-term and with a heavy moisturizer underneath.

Edit 12/9/14: Typically, I don't use this or any other foundation as my skin looks pretty good bare. However, having worn this more on special occasions, I haven't experienced, the "sucking my skin dry" feeling so much anymore, possibly because I'm now using better moisturizers and have improved my skin's barrier so that it no longer loses moisture as easily.

The more I use this, the more I like this product. I know this isn't really a mineral foundation, but I like it better than any other mineral foundation I've ever tried.

on 10/12/2013 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm pretty disappointed in this product. I bought this because I had a coupon and I was running low on the mineral powder foundation I usually use (UD Surreal Skin). So, I decided to get this in medium to dark. This stuff is super sheer. I honestly believe it offers no more coverage than the sheer finish loose powder. It also comes off a bit flat. I'll finish up the jar, because I don't feel like mailing it back. But for the expensive price, I expected much better.

on 9/9/2013 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I really wanted to love this stuff, but unfortunately I can find very little good about it.

Starting with the only positive of this product, the colour range is really good, despite being limited compared to Bobbi's usual colour range. I wear Honey in her foundations and the medium dark shade blended in with my skin perfectly. It does not have that pinkish tinge to it that I've found with a lot of mineral powders, it's very yellow-based and the medium dark shade was nice and brown.

The packaging is terrible and is impossible to travel with. You have to be so careful when opening the lid in case any of this super expensive and fine powder escapes. I find it hard to shake out an appropriate amount, and when I use the underside of the lid to tap off any excess, it's hard to get that powder back into the container (it settles in the sides and then escapes when I screw the lid on).

Coverage wise, I got nothing out of this so I was very surprised to read so many positive reviews. I was hoping to get enough coverage to even out my skin but found the only way I could get that was using it as a powder over the top of my usual liquid foundation - which completely negated the reasons I purchased this in the first place - to get a nice, natural finish and to have that "no makeup" look. I tried the advice from Bobbi's website about pushing it onto the skin with a powder puff, but found that most of it clung onto the puff and not on my skin. Then using ELF Mineral Powder brush, I noticed clouds of powder puffing up off my face as soon as the brush touched my skin. After application, I noticed lots of powder all over my table or any surface the jar had been near. I would hate to think about how quickly this stuff rubs off any time something touches my face!

Even when used over my foundation, I found it didn't last very long and when I looked in the mirror about 3 hours it looked like I hadn't put any on in the first place.

Overall, this is terrible and I will have to continue my search for a natural makeup look. It's heartbreaking to see so much product go to waste, especially considering the price. If people are finding this product good, then they must have flawless skin that doesn't need makeup to begin with! But for a light, even coverage for the face, it just doesn't do a thing. 2 lippies for having a nice colour range and not breaking me out. But I will continue to mourn my wasted money.

on 8/6/2013 5:43:00 AM

Subtle and natural looking. Sheer, doesn't cover freckles/pimples, but evens out skin.
Doesn't crease, blotch or sweat off (with silicone-base primer/moisturiser).
The powder is very finely milled and sits very smoothly and naturally onto the skin and does not blotch or cake.

Packaging could be revised. Messy when travelling.

Matches skin colour perfectly (Alabaster). A lot of makeup tends to be too dark.

on 7/15/2013 7:49:00 PM

Not terribly impressed with this one, sadly. It's very expensive for the amount of product you get. BareMinerals is quite superior, for half the cost (nearly).

What I like:
It goes well over concealer for a very subtle evening out of skin tone. That's about it.

What it lacks:
Pigment! Hardly any coverage. Bareminerals I can use as concealer with a small brush- this does NOTHING to cover blemishes.
You still need a finishing powder over this to set it- otherwise it's shine city in very little time.
It's like a chalky version of Bareminerals- like it's cut in half with talc or something. I don't like the texture.

So sad. I'm only using this until my new bareminerals order arrives, because this is just crap.

on 6/5/2013 8:08:00 AM

I was disapointed in this - and disapointed that I fell for the hype. There was no glowing skin for me with this foundation, no flawless finish. It's a light to medium coverage foundation but I'd really say that if you don't have really good skin this might not be the most flattering foundation. It starts to go patchy and fade within 2 hours of wear (I wouldn't say I'm particularly oily at the moment either), but you can reapply and layer without it looking cakey.
I'll be going back to my old mineral foundation - yes, it gives a strange white-ish cast in photographs, but it's better than this.

on 6/4/2013 7:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I was highly dissapointed in this product. There was no dewy flawless look promised by the advertisments. It was just a very basic powder that did not make my skin glow. They didn't have more shades to match my olive skin. The packaging was not conveniant, it would not be possible to carry this product around in your handbag. If your looking for a powder try MAC skinfinish.

on 4/25/2013 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

On days when I'm not working and I want to look fresh, this is my go-to foundation.
I was never a fan of mineral makeup and I can't remember what got me to buy this in the first place. I even have a backup one since I'm halfway through the current one.
I use light-medium and I love how this gives me sheer coverage, but enough to hide any redness and discolorations.
It wears pretty long, but after about 6 hours (with Laura Mercier foundation primer and kiehls' SPF50 underneath), my skin looks a bit too dewy (mainly around the nose close to the apples of my cheeks)...so oil control not so great. I still use a finishing powder on top after I apply the mineral makeup.

The packaging on this is terrible, You can't really take it out with you or to travel, unless you have an extra powder puff to put on top of the sifter to prevent powder from going everywhere.
I wish it had a twisting lid thing (like the Laura Mercier mineral powder). It's hard to shake some of the product out without making a mess, even with the cap on. It's also a bit too small for a mineral brush to swirl around nicely to get the product in the brush evenly.

The packaging sucks big time. Never ever uncover all of the holes, or take it travelling or place it at any angle other than bolt upright. Basically you can apply this at home only. Use something else if you want to apply makeup away from home.

Oh Bobbi, not all of us get to port our makeup in a perfectly upright position. Did someone not think to create some type of slide and lock system?.

Its good to use a very hydrating moisturizer with this product.
It has a good and natural finish- not powdery looking, and its nice there is some spf albeit only factor 15.
It can be used as a finishing powder or a stand alone foundation with very light coverage.

I was exhausted and exhilarated when I finally used this all up. phew.

on 2/10/2013 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I bought this while waiting for my usual ultra-pale Lily Lolo order to be delivered, as it was the only "mineral" powder I could find that was pale enough. First of all, the list of ingredients is as long as your arm, mostly consisting of silicones. Calling it "mineral" is a bit of a stretch - there is a minute quantity of minerals in this. That said, it goes on beautifully, has good coverage and lasts a long time. I was sure I was making the switch from Lily Lolo to this, until all the pores around my mouth started to block up turning my upper lip into an alpine region. Ended up going back to Lily Lolo whose ingredients are just Mica and Zinc Oxide and thus infinitely more pore-friendly, though it doesn't look as nice as this.

The packaging, whilst elegant, is totally impractical - designed for sitting upright and perfectly still. Tumbling around in your handbag, makeup comes out of the sifter, but will never go back in. Even Lily Lolo's original sifter could be removed and replaced so makeup could be tipped back into the jar. God forbid if the lid comes off in your bag. That said, I'd definitely use this maybe once a week for a night out. It's easy to apply and looks nice, but day to day, not that great for your skin. Also crazy expensive, especially considering the inside of my handbag ends up wearing more than I do.