April 20, 2014 | 1717 users online

Liquid - MAC - Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 3/3/2014 8:28:00 AM More reviews by Zariana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

In all honesty, I'm not much of a foundation wearer - even if I have to attend an event which calls for a more made-up look. I use my trusty Garnier BB Cream any time I want to look decent and presentable.

However, I was in a mall that had a MAC store so I decided to ask an SA for a sample of a MAC foundation she would recommend for someone who had oily skin and wanted a natural finish. The SA told me about MAC Matchmaster.

She first explained what warm tones and cool tones were. I'm quite certain I'm warm toned and about NC40 in summer and NC37ish in winter. She was adamant that I was an NC44. Even for a foundation novice like me, NC44 looked too dark and strangley orange. I ended up with samples of 6.0 and 7.0.

Briefly, 7.0 is awfully dark for me. 6.0 is still a tad bit off. I don't know if it's just me, but the foundation colours appeared orange on my skin. That could be because the colours were a mismatch.

The foundation did dry to a lovely satin-matte finish. I used some setting powder because I prefer a matte finish. It provided light-medium coverage. The lasting power was, in my opinion, average. It wasn't terribly difficult to remove at the end of the day, but I did notice some minor clogging on my cheeks the next morning. That may be a due to a new blush I wore that day - I can't be sure.

Conclusively, the foundation itself wasn't bad. It, however, didn't blow me away by any means. The colour mismatch has obviously put me off. Come to think of it, even if I had been matched correctly, I don't think I'd be running out to purchase this foundation. I'm not expecting my foundation to wash the dishes or study for me, but because it was MAC, I was hoping for a little more than just an "average" foundation. Also, for an infrequent wearer of foundation such as myself, I can't really justify almost 350 ZAR ($35) on a foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by babysharks

I've tried most of MAC's foundations, and Matchmaster has been the trickiest one for me. The coverage of this foundation is great, but I'm still working with its thicker texture.
I have combination skin and tend to lean dry when the weather is cold. Matchmaster does a great job covering any small problem areas and redness I may have, but it isn't forgiving when it comes to dry spots. The foundation clings to dry patches, so I always make sure to exfoliate with a washcloth before application. I like to use Matchmaster on its own because of how wonderful the coverage is. I pair it with a primer and setting powder for a light feel. I don't find that using a powder foundation is necessary, but I'm sure it would create a really flawless look.
The one tricky thing about Matchmaster is that I find it difficult to blend. This might just be me, but I often find myself struggling to spread an even amount of the product on my face. It seems to pull a little for me, but it isn't enough for me to give up on it completely.
I won't repurchase this in the future, but the bottle is huge anyway. A little goes a long way with Matchmaster!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2014 4:18:00 AM More reviews by missymylo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I actually really liked this product. I have both the studio fix foundation and pro long wear and I felt this was the most "skin comforting". It blended beautifully and it didn't make me feel like I was wearing a tonne of makeup. Furthermore, it is easier to go a shade up as it matches to your skin colour nonetheless (provided you don't go outrageously over the top with the selection of the colour).

I am really picky with foundations and once I know that I can feel it on my face, I am immediately put off. This did not happen here so all in all - it's a win. The price isn't very appealing but hey - the bottle lasts quite a while!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 6:36:00 PM More reviews by Kadee13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Love it,my skin has many acne scars & it covers greatly
It lasts just long enough for me .4-5 hours and that's without powder as I have rather dry skin.I do heed a little moisturizer at first use 'till skin got used to it as product itself is only a little moisturising ,it is oil free which is good .It disguises active blemishes a little.Pump breaks easily but pump replacements are cheap to get

Pros;
Long lasting
Good coverage
Decent price

Cons;
Doesn't cover tattoos/skin conditions
Can be quite drying

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2014 2:37:00 AM More reviews by Hlp92

Got this foundation in hope that it would be a more natural looking foundation for work but it really made my skin look worse . It made my skin look dry and orange and oxidized and got even more orange after a couple of hours . Maybe this is suited for more oily skin . Won't be repurchasing .

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2014 8:49:00 PM More reviews by Jimduhh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I got the shade 4.0.

Packaging:
I love the packaging. I love how it has a built in pump and it just has a sleek look to it. It's great that it also has SPF. I love it!

Price:
I got this from Macys for $34 I believe? Typical price for a MAC Foundation. I like how it has more product than the SFF AND it comes with a pump, so you get your money's worth.

Pros:
-Covers a variety of color ranges
-Very light; it doesn't feel like you're wearing foundation. Also has a Demi-matte finish.
-The coverage is buildable.
-Comes with a pump
-Has SPF

Cons:
-Doesn't match ALL shades
-Can become cakey

Texture: Not to creamy but also not too liquidy.

Smell: Your average foundation smell.

Impressions/Comments:
I wanted to love this product. I really did. I love the consistency and finish. It was a perfect lightweight foundation! However, when I took a flash photo it gave me that white cast over my face. At first I thought it was the SPF, but I realized that the color ended up being tooooo light! I'm an NC35 and the 4.0 was still too light for me? Weird. When I talked to the MAC Specialist, they said that 5.0 would be too dark. But 4.0 is too light... Maybe it just wasn't meant to be? I love the idea of a foundation matching a variety of skin tones, especially because it's a nice mix of the NC and NW. They have a ton of shades in their collection, but they just don't fit me. Wahhhh! Sad life.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 7:13:00 AM More reviews by Nandapushkar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was always in search of a good foundation that suited my skin .one or the other way most of them doesn't suit my skin .but this match master foundation is perfect and it doesn't give a cakey feeling or a filmy layered feeling for me ! Just love this product !

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 5:36:00 PM More reviews by africa11

I love this FOUNDATION, this provides me with build-able coverage yet looks natural on my skin! I mix it with my Prep+ Prime Radiance primer and it gives me a fresh look that last all day long! HG foundation for me!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by nataliecrack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is the foundation I currently use.

I am Greek with fair-light yellowish skin and I use everything NC20 in foundations and concealers.

I apply the Matchmaster foundation with a sponge and it gives me an even, matte finish.

The matte finish does not really last long so I make sure i set it with a mattifying powder but I really like the result.

PROS:
- Bottle has a pump which is really sanitary.
- Matte finish.
- Easy to apply

CONS:
- I don't like how the liquid looks orange-y. It tends to oxidize a bit too.
- Expensive.
- Although the pump 'locks' if you switch it to the left, it can unlock easily and make a mess if carried in a purse or bag. Also, the glass bottle is not very convenient.

Overall, i like it but when it is finished I don't think I would purchase it again mostly due to the stiff price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 3:46:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I like this foundation, but not as much as Studio Sculpt, although MatchMaster is more natural-looking and sheer compared to Studio Sculpt. In Studio Sculpt I currently wear an NC20 (or a C2 in MAC's F&B/MNSF in Medium, for reference in other brands: Missha Perfect Cover in #21, tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation in Light-Medium Sand, Revlon ColorStay in #180 Sand Beige, GA Luminous Silk in 4.5, NARS The Radiant Cream foundation in Fiji, Revlon Nearly Naked in #130 Shell and DiorSkin Forever Flawless Compact in #21 Linen) and in the MatchMaster foundation I wear 2.0 - which matches my yellow undertones well. I also bought 1.5 which is just a touch too light but works fine for winter time.

The coverage is in the medium range, but it does allow some of your skin to show through, and I often sheer this out with lotion or by itself to a light coverage. It can also be easily built up to cover most imperfections. The finish is a beautiful soft, natural matte. I don't usually use powder on top of this, but will wear primer underneath to keep t-zone shine at bay. The texture is easy to work with too - very silky, easy to spread or buff into skin. I normally use a buffing brush to apply this, fingers or a sponge and it looks good regardless of what I use to apply it - although I think the warmth from hands makes it look more natural and sheer. I also use it around my eyes without any irritation or problems. No breakouts or clogged pores on rest of skin. It lasts all day (at least 8+ hours) with no separating, or patchiness. I do still have to touch up/blot with powder after about 5 hours due to shine on my nose or forehead in the summer - but I have to do that regardless of what product I use. It does however, maintain a matte finish longer than most other foundation I use. In photographs, there was no flashback and my skin looked perfect (although I'm not sure how this would work for darker skin tones).

The only thing that bothers me a bit is the weird scent - a bit like paint, but it's not strong. Reminds me of Revlon's ColorStay and honestly I'd rather smell the ingredients than some strong, migraine-inducing fragrance. I would recommend this to those with oily or combination skin looking for light to medium natural looking coverage. This formula may be a bit to drying/too matte for those with drier skin types.