September 17, 2014 | 1893 users online

Liquid - MAC - Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by jenniferluevano

I have been using the product for a while now and I love it! I had been looking for foundation that would do me justice after using several drugstore foundations. I went into MAC for a makeover and I knew I could trust them on which foundation would fit me best. After I purchased the product, I only had to apply ONE pump, ONE! That makes every cent even more valuable. It blended into my skin magically. It gave me an airbrushed look using a stiffling type brush. The finish was matte which is amazing for my oily skin. I love it and would definitely buy again!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2014 10:43:00 AM More reviews by sluhxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I found this foundation to give me a really good coverage. I wear a shade 5.0. The only downside is that it made my skin very dry! Also when half the product is used up, the pump doesn't seem to get any product out.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by solidcake

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am very pale, NC15 according to MAC SAs and have a hard time getting foundations. They hooked me up with Matchmaster in 1.0. I took it home, and although I loved how it seemed to blend to my skin tone (that never happens) I found it went on kind of dry and cakey. I had to really work at blending it in. I switched to a Dior primer the same day, and thought maybe that was doing it, but decided to ride them both out.

A few days of the Matchmaster, I start breaking out.. bad. THAT never happens. I blamed the new primer I was using and went back to my usual one. I also picked up another bottle of Matchmaster in 1.0 because I LOVED the skin tone match.. I was desperate for this to be the answer.

The breakouts didn't stop. I switched moisturizers and primers numerous time, but kept using Matchmaster refusing to believe I was having a bad experience with a MAC product because I can be a MAC snob.

I was under a lot of stress so I blamed my new acne on that. I went through the whole bottle of Matchmaster and started into the new one when my boyfriend even commented on my skin. I have never had breakouts so bad. Huge sore pimples.. when he brought it up it was like a slap in the face. I immediately went to the drug store and grabbed a couple different cheapies.. almost overnight the breakouts began go away.

I've been off it for a week and my skin is starting to get better. Matchmaster gives you that tight faced feeling.. I hate that. Not for me at all.So sad it didn't work.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2014 2:16:00 AM More reviews by unoeme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I brought up my issue with regards to MAC prolongwear (NC25 too light NC 30 too orange) and the lady at the MAC counter recommended Matchmaster 3.0 as it has shade intelligence technology which better suited me. I kinda like it at 1st. The shade matches my skin very well, it has light - medium coverage, pretty much long-lasting (tho not as long as prolongwear) and It controls oil from peeking thru.

But i'm not too sure i like the finish look. It's VERY matte and flat. You don't even have to apply powder on top of this foundation. And you'll probably need highlighting and contouring.

Tho the bigger issue here is that it clogs my pores like crazy. And accentuates every bumps and pores on my face! I didn't even know I had fine lines till I applied this. I had to slather a lot more primer underneath than usual.

Update: I tried to give this foundation a 2nd chance.. managed to resolve the very matte look by adding mac strobe cream with the foundation. However, it still sinks into my pores (despite having a very good primer underneath) & i take back about it being long-lasting. It's not! 4 hours wear and my makeup starts to fade.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2014 1:21:00 AM More reviews by missty86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

really like this foundation. i like its medium coverage. i think its one of the best medium coverage foundations i have tried and looks good in photos too. the packaging is good, comes with a pump so it makes it easy to take out the product. im using shade #6. usually im mac NC 42-44.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 12:25:00 AM More reviews by megmaydux

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

PACKAGING
MAC matchmaster SPF 15 foundation comes in a bottle with a pump. This is the best type of packaging for foundation as it minimises oxidation of the product, by not exposing it to air with each use. Over time, oxidation of a product will cause it to thicken and clump. Hence, the foundation remains a silky fluid from first use to last.

APPLICATION
I have an oily T-zone and normal skin on the rest of my face. I have found this foundation to apply smoothly over all areas and it blends beautifully. I have used both a sponge and a dual-fibre foundation brush for application, and both methods prove successful.

WEAR
For daily use, I apply one pump over my nose and cheeks, blending towards my jawline. I apply a small amount over my forehead and chin also. This lasts well over the day, and doesn’t cake, but around the 12 hour mark, I need to reapply.
For an occasion, I use two pumps to have a heavier coverage. I do not add more over my nose than I would daily, but I do apply more over my cheeks. After 10 hours I find that my make-up is beginning to cake. This is amplified if I have exposed my skin to heat and humidity.

PROS
Easy to apply and blend
Matte finish - excellent for oily skin
SPF 15 - very important, especially in the harsh Australian sun

CONS
Expensive - however, it's worth every cent

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by lofo18

I just purchased this today in search of a lighter version of estee lauder doublewear. I have used doublewear for years and it just doesn't work for my skin anymore. I wear clinique super city block sunscreen underneath and dw was just too much for my oily skin. My skin now is pretty good. I wake up with clear, even skin. Matchmaster covered small pigmentation marks and evened any redness beautifully. It dries very matte but looks like nothing is on the face. I am blown away with how natural it looks. THIS is the look I have been trying to achieve for the past year of my foundation hunt. My skin glows through the foundation and looks beautiful. I have not been wearing it long enough to know if it is long lasting. Hopefully it won't break me out because I am in love!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 9:17:00 AM More reviews by ningurl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

abfabjeanius said it exactly to the point of all of my concerns. Normal to dry for me though, found it made my skin look really dry, caught in some flakey areas of the face, wasn't too sure of the colour match (I got 1.5 and I'm NW20). The weight of the formula felt nice, as it wasn't heavy or sticky, and I liked the pump. I don't think this broke me out (I only used it 3 times) as the F&B line did. Will not repurchase. Oh, I bought it for wedding photography and didn't like the results in trial photos either. I mentioned this to the girl at the counter that I wanted a foundation specifically for wedding photography. Why she gave me this with the spf is beyond me. Stupid me didn't realized the spf until I got home.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I wanted to love this foundation, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations.
About my skin: I have combination skin, with a very oily t-zone. My main reasons for wearing foundation are to cover up some old acne scars, even out my skintone/cover or mitigate my hyperpigmentation and cover the large pores on/around my nose. Tone-wise, I am between NC20 and NW20 - depending upon the formula, I can kind of go either way, as my skin leans more neutral rather than warm or cool.

PROS of Matchmaster are that it didn't break me out (which, for MAC foundations, is always a concern of mine); seemed to hold my oilies at bay for at least 6 hours; medium coverage; easy to use pump container; broad spectrum sunscreen (not that I rely on foundation for sun protection, but it is an added bonus.)

CONS of Matchmaster are that I wasn't happy with the color match and the finish. While I fully appreciate MAC's new numbering system and color technology, I really felt like that the "technology" didn't quite work for me. The #1 was way too pale and ashy, #1.5 which I bought veers on the peachy side, and #2 was way too dark/orange. I feel like if they were going to introduce this sort of color range, they could have done it more effectively. Secondly, it just looks like makeup on the face. I guess compared to MAC Studio Fix, ProLongwear, StudioTech, etc - this is much more natural/skin looking - but I'm accustomed to "second-skin" finishes like Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, Armani Luminous Silk, Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick, and YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat. Granted, these aforementioned foundations are in a different pricepoint than MAC, but I digress...

Some other notes: I have applied this with and without primer; using fingers, brush, and Beautyblender; with and without powder, and none of them quite give me the right look that I'm after. Also, the smell of this foundation is eerily similar to La Mer's liquid foundation (not sure if it's because it also contains seaweed extract and is owned by Estee Lauder?)

Anyway, overall, I will probably keep this in my roundup of daily foundations, but will not be purchasing again. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by cocoadolly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. Keeps me matte for a relatively long time. The finish is perfection. I don't know if this is my absolute favorite foundation but it definitely is top 3. NOT good for flash photography because the SPF will give you the ghost effect, so I wouldn't recommend this for going out, special events, or weddings. For every day though, I'm obsessed with this