Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush

4.5

on 3/7/2014 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

The Shiseido Foundation brush applies foundation like no other foundation brush (paddle or other Kabuki-style brush), sponge or Beauty Blender that I've ever used. It is a Kabuki type of brush w/ a rounded, flat head which is comprised of very dense, short, angled, synthetic hairs. The hairs are super soft & silky to the touch. The black, wooden handle is shorter than your typical foundation brush as the entire brush, from bottom of the handle to the longest end of its slanted bristles, is a mere 4 1/2 inches long. The diameter of the brush head is a smidge less than that of a quarter (as in the US coin). I was initially disappointed and puzzled by its diminutive size but after a few uses, I was in love. The smaller size makes it less cumbersome to hold and the smaller brush-head helps to target tighter corners on the face such as the sides of the nose and the inner corners of the eyes. It's also very travel friendly.

I use 3 different techniques to apply product with this brush: 1) brush on using back & forth &/or up & down motions 2) swirl on using circular motions, swirling product into skin 3) stippling, sort of bluntly tapping product in and onto the skin. Each technique produces a somewhat different effect and I find that swirling gives the lightest finish and stippling produces heavier coverage. As for the overall finish this brush produces, with any application method, I would describe it as "air-brushed" and incredibly natural. It applies foundation and concealer flawlessly and does not create any tell-tale streaks or lines. I've used it w/ liquid, cream & stick foundations, TM's, BB creams and w/ all types of u/e concealers. I don't use mineral or powder foundations so I can't say if it would work as well w/ them.

I bought mine at least 4 years ago and although it's not cheap ($30 US), it's less expensive than many other HE brushes and offers exceptional quality and durability, so IMO, it's worth every cent. I have washed this brush 30+ times in very warm, sudsy water and not one, single hair has ever shed from it nor has the quality or softness of the bristles deteriorated. Furthermore, the wooden handle's finish and the metal around the brush has not peeled, cracked, flaked or faded. It honestly looks brand new despite its daily use and many "shampoos".

Washing it is not difficult- I stand brush up (brush head facing down) in a disposable cup of a very warm, soapy mixture of either my shampoo or liquid dish detergent and soak the bristles for about 5 minutes. As it soaks, I push down on it and swirl it around a few times to further release any product and then I rinse it in under cold, running water until the water runs clear. Next, I blot on a white paper towel to make sure it's clean, repeat if necessary and let it air dry overnight. Because it is so dense, it does require more time than other foundation brushes do to dry so I always allow at least 8-10 hours of drying time. The extra drying time may be an issue for some but I personally think it's worth it. This is how I clean and dry all of my makeup brushes so I don't find the process to be an additional burden. .

The Shiseido Foundation brush is an absolutely fabulous foundation brush! It is sleek and sexy (yeah, I think a makeup brush can actually be sexy!), well made, superior in quality, and provides a flawless, natural finish.

on 1/19/2014 8:15:00 AM

Enhances foundation application, delivering polished finish with relative ease, saving both time and effort. Highly portable too. A winner.

on 1/16/2014 9:07:00 AM

i like this brush a lot and do hope that shisedo would make brushes. i liked how soft and well put the whole btush was, but i can see why everyone hates cleaning it. in terms of application it is almost flawless.. okay it was flawless for me, but everyone has different sets of application skills... so cant say that this is for everyone, but i would highly recommend this brush just because i love it.

This brush is absolutely amazing. It applies any foundation (liquid, cream, even powder) beautifully on to your skin. Also it maximizes the coverage that the product gives (if you use patting movements to apply the product).
The size of the brush can be a problem for somebody, but I find it actually very great. You can get very precise application with tiny brush and also it is easier to apply foundation under your eyes, sides of your nose and so on.
Also the price is OK. Little on the expensive side, but reasonable for a good quality brush, that last very long time.
Even tho the prize is okay, if for some reason I would lost or break this brush, I wouldn't spend my money on it again. I would maybe try a cheaper, same style brush for instead.

Only downside of this brush would be the cleaning. Because the bristles are so dense and short, cleaning can be a pain in the bum. But with patience and good brush cleaning method you can win the situation.

And then to end a little pros and cons for a easy access review:

PROS
+ Applies foundation beautifully
+ Easy to use
+ Small size is convenient (easier to apply small areas of your face, good for travelling)

CONS
- CLEANING IS VERY VERY HARD
- Small size can be a problem for somebody
- Applying foundation is little slower with such a small brush

on 12/2/2013 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This foundation brush is great! It can be used with creams, liquids or powders. The only con is that it eats up foundation, you really need to deep clean this brush!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Great brush, very tiny though. My arms were hurting but it helped camouflage my pores. I'm glad I bought it.

on 11/3/2013 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is the best foundation brush I hv ever used , the hair are really soft, and really easy to apply foundation evenly. But so far, the only problem I found is to clean the brush. Different from normal brush, this brush has really intense and short hair, thus when I was Doing the cleaning , I found there were some foundation still stick on the inner part of the brush, and really hard to get them off.

on 10/31/2013 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It works and works.

on 10/21/2013 2:10:00 AM

Forget your typical foundation brush, this one does it all! The bristles are so dense that the blending process is actually sped up. Work lightly in circles and you'll change the way you see the whole picture, it's amazing! The round head is angled for precision work, making anywhere around the eye, the hairline, and wherever need be a total breeze. The size of the brush head is smaller than a quarter, and length is about 1/2". The full handle is very graspable at less than 4" long, while the ferrule itself is a nice 1 1/4". All materials used for this brush are just gorgeous. Synthetic hairs allow for any type of product to be used, and I can't rave enough about how soft it is. The Japanese technique for doing one hair at a time that was used explains the price, the reason for not one case of shedding, and unreal quality. I see a trend in brushes like Hakuhodo, the Billy B line, and now Wayne Goss... the shorter handle just makes sense.

on 10/15/2013 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I absolutely LOVE this brush for liquid and cream foundation. I'd only heard of it when I was buying gloss at the Clarins counter at Macys which is connected to the Shi counter. The SA asked if I'd ever heard of it and of course I hadn't since I hadn't stopped by the Shiseido counter in ages. She told me how it was their best seller and so of course I had to buy it. I am really glad I did because it delivers! It's a slanted flat top with very densely packed bristles that are incredibly soft. The one drawback for me is the handle length. It's rather short, however it's not enough of a reason to list as a negative trait overall. Perhaps some people like the shorter handle on a foundation brush so they can get closer to the mirror and ensure flawless application.

I used to use Shiseido foundation stick about 15 years ago and had I not been scoping out some Clarins glosses I never would've discovered this brush. I highly recommend you check out this brush next time you have access. I believe it was 30-35USD. Not bad considering it'll likely last a long time given proper care etc. Wash weekly and condition every other week.

By way of background, I've bought and tried countless brushes from ELF, MAC, TM, BB, Chanel, LM and then some. This is one brush I will ALWAYS have in my stash. I just PRAY they never d/c it. It provides flawless airbrushed looking results when used to gently swirl foundation. I haven't tried it with powder foundation but I'm sure it works wonders with that too.

Video Reviews & Tutorials