July 31, 2014 | 1955 users online

Hair - Shea Moisture - Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by pinkmouse09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have 3a/b hair and I really like this. I switched to this from Beautiful Textures. My hair is becoming noticeably softer after using this. It really feels like its actually making my hair healthier as well as styling it. I use with with some leave in conditioner and am able to get a few days out of my styles. I think a lot of people are simply using too little or too much of this based on their reviews.

I see a lot of mixed reviews on rest of the line, so I probably won't be trying more stuff unless they are on sale.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by santiagostra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a month into the curly girl method and after searching high and low for products to start with, this is the one I turned to. It got rave reviews and it's supposed to be moisturizing for your hair. The smell is a bit on the fruity side but I like it. It's consistency is thick and creamy. I have curly to wavy Type 3C/3A hair and its medium in strand thickness. After applying my leave in conditioner I put this on, sectioning my hair into 4. It leaves my hair a bit greasy even after experimenting with the amount I put in. It doesn't do much for my frizz. It does leave my hair soft but after a day or two my ends are extremely dry. All in all, it's an ok product. I would buy again but maybe use it sparingly and in conjunction with something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by ellie8811

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The first time I bought this I couldn't figure it out. Made my hair tacky, weighed down, dull. Then I realised I was using way too much. A light hand is definitely needed with this. Literally 1 heaped finger full for you whole head and my hair is moisturised for days. I have type 4 hair, fine strands, medium density. Love it and the tub last for ages. The scent may be a bit strong/sickly for some. I love the scent. If it is too strong I suggest the kids version. It pretty much does the same job, is slightly thicker and has a much more subtle scent. I alternate between the 2.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by amandadee97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Ugh. I have thick, dry, 2c/3a hair. I bought this hoping to use it as a leave in slash gel like product.
First, the smell. I expected something sweet and floral, but this was just cloying and perfumey. It didn't enhance my curls or hydrate them in the slightest. Rather, it made them greasy and crunchy. It could be because my hair is finer and thinner, but I just did not like this.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/13/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by Bela330

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have transitioning 3c curly hair, I've been using the curly girl method to deal with it. I bought this product hoping that it would effectively leave my hair moisturized, shiny, and soft! however, It left my hair stiff and greasy! I have really thin curly hair, and ALOOOT of it, so i hoped it would help define my curls but my curls just ended up straaange... the product actually tightened my curls! the reason i tried it in the first place was because of the yummy smell and the consistency, but don't let it fool ya! I've tried it a few times too, varying in quantity and distribution to see if my results would improve but I'm still pretty unhappy with it ): I do recommend their raw shea butter line (amazing shampoo!)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2013 3:05:00 PM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

What is there to say about Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie? Hmm...
While I do really like this product, I'm not sure that this is the best formulation for my thick but fine textured 3b/3c hair type. I have the feeling that something lighter might work a little bit better for me.
I do think that the Curl Enhancing Smoothie is good at defining in that the added moisture and slight hold it provides helps keep curls together so that they don't dry up, disperse, then frizz out quite as bad as they might if left to their own devices. The hold that this offers is exceptionally soft and not enough for me to forgo using gel over it if I'm letting my hair dry in it's natural state. However, it's got just enough hold for when I allow my hair to dry in big braids for softer waves. That said, to me, this is more of a moisturizer than a styler. The one time I attempted to use it as a styler, I had to use a lot of product and the result left my hair looking like stringy spaghetti noodles.Yuck. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend this to someone with thinner hair. It seems like it'd be way too heavy.
As far as moisturization is concerned, I think that Curl Enhancing Smoothie does a pretty good job helping me retain moisture in conjunction with other products though I can't say that this is ultra moisturizing on it's own. This functions on my hair as sort of a "sealer" over my leave-in to keep my hair softer and moisturized longer. I definitely don't think that this product would work very well on my hair without a leave-in conditioner underneath it. It's just not moisturizing enough by it's self. Like others have mentioned, this certainly seems to work much better when it's applied to wet hair also. Otherwise, it can leave kind of a sticky film.
When I initially bought the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Shea Moisture products were only available 'on the ground' at Walgreen's and Target. Thankfully the demand for products geared towards curly hair has has since brought Shea Moisture and other brands to more mass retailers for curly-haired product junkies everywhere! Yay! I really love that this is now relatively easy to get a hold of AND the price is more reasonable when you consider the price point of other similar brands.
Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a pretty good product, but I don't think it's the best for my hair type. Instead, I think I'd love to try their out Curl & Style Milk next!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2013 7:47:00 AM More reviews by carolina93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Pros:
-Great Definition
-Large Container
-Gets rid of Frizz when used with Shea Moisture Milk
-Pleasant smell
-Great for styling

Cons:
-Shrinks Hair
-Not as effective when used without the Shea Moisture Milk
-Takes a long time to dry

Mixture of 3c/4a hair

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by boobiedoobiedoo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This stuff doesn't do it for me as a styler, but it is an amazing moisturizer for my 3C curls. I love that it's all natural, so it's great for anyone who uses the curly girl method. I would recommend this to anyone with thicker hair and looking for a great moisturizer or if you have thinner hair and you need a styling product that doesn't leave your hair crunchy. I think I can safely say that this is my new holy grail moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 10:23:00 PM More reviews by LaTonyaCrudup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is always a repurchase for me! I'm a newly natural girl, with small, tight curls. And one day, I was in my neighborhood Sally's, I came across this product, decided to try it, and loved it! Smell isn't overpowering, unless you use a lot of it. Makes my hair easy to comb through. I find it works best for me when I put it on wet/damp hair. Product stays all day, the smell doesn't irritate my scalp. I love it, and I can't wait to try more products from Shea Moisture :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2013 12:54:00 PM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I recently got a haircut that is a tragedy. As such, I've been trying different hair products to try and turn it into something manageable. A co-worker began using this a while back and the results have been amazing on her hair so I figured I'd I've it a try as well. This doesn't really do much to enhance my curl, which is fine with me, and it certainly smells lovely. As far as hair products go, I found it very average on my hair. It weighed it down a little but not significantly, it moisturized but not quite enough, it softened but - again - not enough for my tastes. My co-worker will now have two jars :)