October 25, 2014 | 917 users online

Mascara - New York Color - Sky Rise Lengthening Mascara

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by Kalady

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

PROS: Great black color, long lasting, good definition, incredible lengthening, clean brush, cheap and available almost anywhere
CONS: Smaller than the average mascara tube, but so cheap it doesn't matter

I bought this mascara on a whim when I went on a prom makeup shopping spree at Walmart. I wanted to test out some NYC products; my sister had adored an eyeshadow palette I had gotten her for her birthday, and their selection of products (eyebrow cake with tweezers and brush, lip butters, palettes with cream primer) seemed to be very much on par with the rest of the drugstore, simply just priced lower. I use mascara daily, so it was a no-brainer to try one. I purchased my Sky Rise Lengthening Mascara for a little under $3.

When I tested it out the next day, I was floored. It provided all I wanted in a mascara: lots of non-spidery length, jet-black coverage, and easy and clean application. Best of all, my lashes didn't look flaky, dry, or uncomfortable- the mascara provided a shiny, almost patent-leather coverage that mimicked the look of healthy lash hair. I had yet to find a mascara that didn't build up unnaturally, so I was more than shocked that such a cheap one would be the winner. It lasts all day and washes off easily with water or makeup remover.

The wand is long and thin, and even though the tube itself doesn't seem to have much of a stopper, the spiral bristles come out of the tube cleanly. Sometimes there is buildup at the very back of the wand, but nothing that is a detriment to application. The tube is long, black, and quite thin. After a month of application, the formula has not changed nor dried out.

I love this mascara, and I plan to try more NYC products in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2014 7:36:00 PM More reviews by Eightysix

It's cheap for $2 at Rite Aid! It does a decent job of lengthening and thickening, but it might be irritating my eyes a little. I'm not sure as this is the very first mascara I've ever tried. I have short, straight, but fairly dense eyelashes, and the difference before and after is somewhat noticeable. The brush is a bit big compared to my lashes (although it's hardly a large brush) and the formula does tend to clump with a few more passes. I get it all over my upper lid when I apply it---might be my amateur technique, but it's easy to remove as long as you don't have eyeshadow in place, so I would put my eyeshadow on afterwards. Definitely doesn't curl unless I hold my lashes up while it dries. It smudges a bit on my lower lash line, but not on my lids thankfully (I have very oily eyes).

Update: it's all about the technique. Apply it to the tips of your lashes first with a "fluffing" motion then swipe through. That really builds up the length. Would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by lushblush

I love this! Makes my lashes appear to be really huge and long! The formula is great, a little dry but also a little wet! I love it and will continue to use it and repurchase it for that false lash effect!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by ilikeslothsalot

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this at my local drugstore because I needed new mascara and I like lengthening mascara. I didn't have too much money, therefore this one was the mascara that I ended up buying. It is overall a good mascara, minimal clumping, and it doesn't weigh down my lashes too much. I would repurchase

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2013 5:06:00 PM More reviews by xomakeup4ever

This mascara is good for people who don't wanna spend a lot of money. For me, it gives nice length to my short lashes, and I adore the packaging! But it does clump, so it wasn't my most fav, but it was good. I won't repurchase unfortunately.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by ichigocutie

I bought this on a whim when I was on vacation because I forgot my mascara. I didn't want to spend a lot and I found this one for really cheap. I didn't have high hope for this mascara. As I predicted this mascara couldn't hold my curled lashes the second I put this on my lashes started to go down. But I used it for a week until I got back home and tossed it in the trash can. Will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by celialove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this as a replacement for my HG everyday lengthening mascara (Wet n Wild), and was pleasantly surprised. Holds a curl well, dries quick but not too quick, and overall looks great. If you're looking for an inexpensive mascara to say, keep in your purse or gym bag as an extra, this would be a great choice.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2013 10:11:00 PM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I admit I bought this because there were some good reviews and it is so cheap. It really is barely effective and not worth buying for any reason. I can say that also about City Curls and the other NYC mascaras which I tried. I never reach for them anymore after giving them a chance for several days and realizing they do nothing. I reach for mascaras that coat and colour the lashes. This brand just doesn't do that. OK - to be fair, if this was the only brand of mascara in the world, then yes, I'd use it and buy it again. Or maybe I'd just make my own.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2013 2:30:00 PM More reviews by leahlovesrosie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

It's an okay mascara, but nothing I would repurchase. It gives me some length, but not much. My eyelashes start to droop after 5 minutes of wearing it. On the plus side, it is very dark and black. Meh, not impressed.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2013 5:25:00 AM More reviews by poetsdream7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a surprisingly good little mascara. I bought this to pair up w/ a volumizing mascara to create a dramatic lash look. I liked the thin little brush and thought, if nothing else it would make a good bottom lash mascara. First of all, it's a drier formula, so it holds a curl very well. And even though it is dry, it's very comfortable to wear; it doesn't leave you with plastic-y, stiff lashes. I hate that feeling, but sometimes tolerate it if it gives a great look. But stiff lashes can be a bit painful sometimes, for me, anyway. Also, it adds decent (not incredible) length. By itself, it is good for an everyday mascara. Paired with a volumizing mascara, it gives just that bit of added length that my lashes need for a dramatic, false lash effect,