December 19, 2014 | 830 users online

Eye Shadow - Chanel - Illusion d'Ombre

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by parlezvousfrancais

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

There was so much buzz when these came out. I was only planning on getting the "Illusoire"(purple) b/c it was deemed "amazing for brown eyes". I also ended up getting the "Emerveille" (gold) as a highlighter, and then I also purchased the "Ebloui" (reddish brown) which was deemed "amazing for green eyes". K, well this is my opinion of purple eyeshadow on brown eyes in general. I think it looks good on darker brown eyed brunettes. If you are a fair, brown-eyed blonde like me, its hard to pull off. I actually found the Ebloui much more complimentary to my eyes (i do have some green in them too) and skin tone. The Ebloui is the one I have used the most. I quit using these for a bit because I do find them difficult to control on my eyelid. I prefer just darker shadow in the corners of my lids, which is impossible to do with this eyeshadow. Its good if you like eye shadow on your entire lid - otherwise forget it. Its brutal to control and the main reason i stopped using it. I did find that the Ebloui did get a bit dried out - when others have said it doesn't dry out with time. Bottom line, nice colors & fun. But depending on what you want they are difficult to control. Extremely pricey as well. I never use the little brush - I found it useless. That said I am eyeing the new black one with sparkles. It's gorgeous! K - obviously I have a "love-hate" relationship with this eyeshadow! LOL!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2013 9:16:00 AM More reviews by AshleyRivers

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have four of these & they're just too chunky & glittery. Honestly not worth the $52 each when you can get the Maybelline colour tattoos which are a million times better for $12.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/7/2013 1:01:00 AM More reviews by mariselayoung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I went out on a limb and purchased this product, which is totally out of my price range, because of a Scarlett Johansson makeup tutorial by the Pixiwoo sisters. For some reason, in the video, the shade 82 Emerveille showed up in this incredibly beautiful, peachy-pink dewy glowy way. Lots of adjectives there, but the point is I totally had to have it.

Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed. It is a pretty product, but it definitely did not show up on me as it did on camera. It's more of a peachy-pink shimmer and doesn't give any glow.

It is also impossible to apply with a brush! I find the only way I can get a nice finish is when I apply it with my fingers. It's not very pigmented at all. The mousse texture is a lot more lovely and smooth than say, the Maybelline Color Tatoos, but I still find it fades throughout the day quite quickly.

So while it is a nice product, it is not the spectacularly beautiful eyeshadow I was expecting for 40 dollars.

UPDATE: Okay, so I have had this product for a few months, and it has already dried out quite a bit. Especially when I look at the bottom of the bottle. Honestly, don't waste your money on this product. Instead, buy the Makeup Forever Aqua Creme. They have many similar shades.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/19/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by Reitelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased two of these; one in Fantasme and one in Illusoire. They have a wonderful mousse texture and the colors are fantastic but the staying power leaves a lot to be desired. By the end of the day I am left with zero pigment and a face full of sparkles which are nearly impossible to remove! The sparkle is also a little too much for day wear in my opinion as the pigment is not as strong as one would initially imagine. The quality of the packaging is unparalleled, I just wish the contents inspired me similarly. Overall, I would definitely not repurchase this item as I have only used them perhaps 3 or 4 times since making their purchase over a year ago.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2013 12:47:00 PM More reviews by sinabell

I have three shades of this eyeshadow cream.It has a good lasting power without smudging.He is intensely pigmented and has a nice sheen.I would definitely buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by funnyblossom

Absolutely worth the price! This is a spectacular cream eye shadow with is both elegant, long-lasting and versatile. You can apply is lightly as a wash of color, or build it up for impact. The French know the secret to elegant, classy colors - and Chanel doesn´t disappoint. Illusoire is my favorite, lending itself beautifully to many looks .. if paired with Chanel Fauve eye shadow it gets even better.. I have various colors and love them all.This is in my top 10 for sure!
Jan/13 update: I have been reading other reviews on these cream shadows and I understand what others say about this product in Fantasme (white with loads of glitter) and Mirifique (black with equal amount of glitter) - they are difficult to get right.. I think Fantasme can be skipped unless you go clubbing a lot.. I use Emerveille and Illusoire. If you are going for a subtle look , just use emerveille on your lids (mac 217 is the best brush for these shadows). Mirifique can be used as a liner and is quite striking.. But you will want to do your foundation after you do your eyes for a clean fresh look.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by lookingood450

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this product! I use the black-"MIRIFIQUE"-on top of my eyeliner, and in my crease line and it is fabulous! The look is exceptional-not streetwalker or club night, but subtle and catchy.
You have to use a good eyelid primer. Forget what the SA said about not using a primer cause that's not true...ever. Try RAIN Cosmetics-or Urban Decay-both stick like glue...then I use one of my most favorite products ever, Maybellines 24 Hour Color Tattoo Eyeshadow in "Tough as Taupe".
Only use a brush to over line your eyeliner, dab and tap the rest on your lid with your finger. The primer and the Tattoo product won't allow the Chanel Illusion product to glide easily, and if you get glitter fallout-you put too much on.
I'm not crazy about colored eye shadows-so I can't comment on the other shades available. I'm a straight shooting-brown, black, taupe...smokey look type. I have hazel green eyes and I love that this product adds an extra punch to my ordinary look.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2012 6:26:00 PM More reviews by feiste

I do not understand the love that this product has been getting from both bloggers and average users. I only own one colour - fantasme - but I tried all the original colours and they are all horrid, particularly the black one.

Pros: the only thing that these have going for them is their cool bouncy texture. Colour-wise, they're dupeable. Chanel already has a lot of these colours in their single eyeshadow collection, though admittedly some of these colours, like taupe grise and vert khaki were limited edition. If you're not fussy about the finish of the colour, there are dozens of makeup brands that have colours of the same nature.

Cons: 1) What good would an a great finish do you, though? These are so patchy going on. Fantasme literally goes on in patches for me and it's impossible to blend out.
2) They DO NOT last. At all. Ok, I do have oily eyelids and I spend a lot of my time in Singapore, which is deathly humid. Having said that, Chanel eyeshadows - every formulation from their singles and duos to their quads - last at least 4 hours, though usually 6-8 hours, without a primer. The black illusion d'ombre creases scarily into a black oily sludge in less than two hours on me and it is so ugly, with fallout everywhere. I thought that maybe there was some application trick I hadn't tried so I went down to a Chanel makeup boutique and had a salesperson apply it to me. But no, it's not me. At this price, I would never put up with a product that behaves as badly as this one.
3) Fallout. Fantasme starts falling out from the minute I put it on. Hours later, I can't see it on my eyelids anymore but it's all over my face.

In conclusion, it's a horrid product with absolutely no redeeming features. I've tried applying it with their brush, a real makeup brush, with fingers, with powder eyeshadow underneath, by itself... All to no avail. I would have returned it if Singapore had any semblance of a return policy. I think that I'm just going to have a field day squishing it to death one day and then tossing it. Ughhh... Big waste of time of money.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by jadorelechoc

Another hype I do not get. Yes, the shades are lovely and the effect is too, but I will never know why these are being marketed as budge-proof. Give them a couple of hours over primer and they start melting and creasing.
When applied with fingers the result is denser, when you use a brush I find they apply a lot more sheer and they last a wee bit better, but this way they do lose a big chunk of the impact they make and they don't look too special. Too glittery, too.
I enjoyed wearing Epatant a couple of times on the lid with a matte khaki or olive green colour blended in the crease, or a matte mauve. It would not last long though so I eventually just stopped using this product. I would not repurchase.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 1:52:00 AM More reviews by teeheehee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love these. I have 3 illusion d'ombres in Epetant, Ebloui & Emerveille. They last amazingly well on my oily lids. I usually get fading with my eyeshadow but these last like iron! By the end of the day, the oils in my eyelids mix with this and instead of it looking blah and nasty, it just intensifies the shimmers. Out of the colours, Ebloui is by far my favourite. It is a nice burgandy/brown/red with shimmer in it. I love it as an all over lid shade in the winter. Epetant is a nice silvery green. It pulls more silver on me and I wish it was more green but it is so gorgeous. I kind've regret getting emerveille. While it is a nice peachy champagne colour it is pretty dupable and looks a bit blah on my NC40 skintone. Overall, I love these and am impatiently waiting for the summer blue collex so I can get more!