Illamasqua Skin Base foundation

3.6

INGREDIENTS: AQUA (WATER), CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM (MINERAL OIL), PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, TALC, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, MICA, DIMETHICONE, SILICA, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, CYCLOMETHICONE, PHENOXYETHANOL, ISOSTEARIC ACID, STEARIC ACID, PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE, METHYLPARABEN, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, NIACINAMIDE, SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, SODIUM HYALURONATE,PARFUM (FRAGRANCE) [+/- MAY CONTAIN: CI 77491 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77492 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77499 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), CI 77002 (ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE)].

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

For a girl who usually sticks with BB cream and tinted moisturiser, this foundation is a godsend! It's light yet effective and doesn't feel heavy on the skin which is exactly what I was looking for.

on 9/8/2014 11:28:00 AM

This is one of the many foundations I have tried, which I have put on and thought "Oh my god I look AMAZING, my search is finally over, HG!!!!", and only a few hours later to realise that I just wasted $50.

The colour match is fabulous. It makes me look GORGEOUS. I have porcelain skin and I can't even explain it... it's radiant, the coverage is crazy, it makes me look like a doll. The coverage is also undetectable, it looks so natural. It's really beautiful.

...until about an hour later when the madness begins. This gets oddly shiny in an hour... it contains talc (which I wasn't happy about) so technically, it should control oil to some (ANY, PLEASE) extent. But instead it makes you oilier. Chemistry you crazy thang. So yeah, it gets really shiny super quickly - even if i set with powder. It makes no difference. And it's a real oil shine, not a 'my skin is healthy and i'm luminous' shine.

It also broke me out pretty badly. Bad for me, anyways - like three pretty big zits at any one time. Of course I was in denial and thought 'i haven't been drinking enough water!' while downing 20L a day. As well as zits it kind of just clogged up my whole face... my skin texture went from smooth to bumpy with a lot more redness than usual. But the foundation would 100% cover it all anyways so I persevered for a bit.

At this stage I am no longer using it as my every day. I might keep it to wear on special occasions because the coverage and finish are so nice but eh. Once the bottle finishes I won't repurchase. My skin deserves better.

on 8/17/2014 6:45:00 AM

Horrific...only word I can think to describe this.

Bought this on a whim without looking at reviews first, and the colour match was completely off.

Tried to make it work regardless - thought maybe used sparingly, it wouldn't be so obvious (big mistake - I looked like Bart Simpson with jaundice!!)

After a few hours, it was almost as if it has risen and was sat on top of the oils. I tried everything - with primer, without primer, with powder, without powder. I tried four different brushes, stippling, buffing, anything I could think of. The result was always the same. I would end up taking it off at lunch time and reapplying as it was getting progressively worse!

I was rematched in the end by a different sales girl as they would not let me return, only exchange, only to find it looked like I had been smacked in the face with a bag of flour. A third sales girl was there when I went back after a walk around looking as if I had witnessed the resurrection of Michael Jackson, who decided it would probably be easier on everybody's stress levels if I was just given a refund.

I will never ever even look at Illamasqua's foundations again after that horrific trip - I will stick to my beloved MAC I think!

on 7/29/2014 2:32:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

this has been my favorite foundation for several years now. it's very concentrated in pigment & i use an amount abt the size of a pea for full coverage. it doesn't look or feel heavy despite the great coverage & it lasts on my face better than most foundations i've tried. i apply w/ fingers in gentle sweeping/circular strokes. i haven't really bothered to try it w/ brushes bc it works so well w/ fingers & i prefer that. blends super easy for me. i don't usually prime but i do set w/ powder.

one of the other great things is the shade selection, particularly on the pale end for me. the shade numbers do not necessarily go from lightest to darkest since the undertones jump around a lot. i use shade 4.5. i could maybe also get away w/ 3 which is yellower, but the olive tone in 4.5 seems to help cancel out redness & suits my fair, warm-leaning (~nc10) skin very well. normally i reach for the fairest shade in a range of foundation & it's often not quite pale enough &/or too pink, but there are a lot of shades to try here for pale people & a white to mix which is awesome.

on 7/8/2014 6:29:00 PM

A friend of mine had this foundation and she didnt like it. I asked her to give me for trying and I would say I couldnt see any special thing from it. It is a bit thick consistent liquid (usually I am using YSL touche eclat) and medium to high coverage. It has a tendency to be cakey so thin layers is working better. I have got Nr. 3 which is quite pale, a bit yellow undertone liquid which is a bit light for me but I wanted to try. Pixiwoo sisters are loving it but I think their face and skin is just gorgeous (especially Nick, such an extraordinary face structure and healthy skin, OMG!!...). So in their skin I could imagine that it will look good. If I will make pros/cons:

Pros:
-High coverage
-Good color selection
-It is moisturizing your skin lightly but it doesnt look full shiny (a bit like healthy glow)

Cons:
-Price
-It can become cakey so careful about amout
-It can be too much for oily skin

I think you can find a similar product for lower price. For that price it is not so much promising.

on 7/4/2014 5:27:00 AM

I bought the Illamasqua skin base foundation as part of a long ongoing search for a good foundation with staying power in the right colour for my very pale, sensitive skin. The first time I used it was a disaster. The colour (02), perfect, but the application and cover, awful. Even with clean, well moisterised skin with a good primer, it sunk into the pores making them visible to even my very short sighted, unspectacled eyes. I normally give in at this stage (not the first time that what appeared to be the perfect one had major flaws) but persevered because the colour match was the most perfect, ever. I actually found that by classically applying very little dabs of foundation on my skin and pressing it gently into the skin rather than rubbing or massaging, gave me the cover I wanted and a flawless finish. Since then, I have worn it continually. The cover looks natural, not cakey. It feels really lovely and luxurious to use, being creamy in texture. My skin glows (but not in the way that ladies of a certain age can 'glow' ) and it lasts, even in our current hot spell of weather. I really hope this helps others.

on 6/12/2014 6:25:00 PM

I've had so many compliments about my skin when I use the illamasqua skin base foundation. People usually ask am i wearing any foundation or what am I using in my skin. The foundation has a really lovely consistency that gives good coverage but feels light on the skin and can be buildable. This foundation makes my skin look like.. Well skin! It's looks youthful, flawless and perfectly dewy. Not oily or shiny, but healthy supple delicious skin. Being a mother to a very active 2 year old my skin really can feel tired and dull especially from lack of sleep but this product hides my exhausted eyes and face so well. It's so fresh looking and lasts a long time. I've had my tube for about a year! The only thing I don't like about the product is the tube it comes in.. It's a great brand, amazing foundation But the tube looks like a plastic cheap product. This foundation deserves to be enveloped in a tall elegant glass bottle with gold writing and a pump!

on 6/1/2014 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For the first few months I absolutely loved this foundation, it have amazing coverage, perfect colour match and looked flawless in pictures. My skin was combination and quite clear, however, over the months my skin started to break out every time I wore it :( but overall amazing, especially for those lucky ones with clear skin

Having tried various foundations over the years, I think this foundation is fab! It make skin look flawless and covers all blemishes well. A little does go a long way and it isn't the cheapest foundation on the market but it is defiantly worth it, at first when you purchase it doesn't look like much as the bottle is quite small. But I have had this for over 3 months now, use every single day and still have a lot left. I also use on clients who love the flawless finish. If I'm going out somewhere and would like more converge I tend to mix this with a little of mac face/body foundation. It works a dream and gives more coverage and is perfect if I'm wearing fake tan. Great product, great results. Must have product

on 4/29/2014 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

2/24/14:This foundation is not for dry skinned people I think. I like this foundation for when my skin is oilier.. Usually I have dry combo skin but in the winter it dries out quite a bit. If I wear this, I make sure I have a moisturizing base underneath... even a thick sunscreen works nicely. I do like the coverage and look of it. Previously I was wearing Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua - liked that a lot, may go back to it in fact..
Edit 4/29/14: I've pretty much given up on this for the winter and spring. Will try it again in summertime. Also, it's a tad light for me so may have to darken it with a little of something else.

Video Reviews & Tutorials