April 21, 2014 | 1484 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2013 5:32:00 AM More reviews by MaryFay

I just couldn't get this foundation to work for me! Which was so disappointing because the 02 shade matched my skin tone perfectly - hence the two stars instead of one. I've tried this twice so far. The first time was over moisturiser and primer and applied it with a stippling brush - no luck. It made every pore on my face stand out, and made it look like I had a tonne of dry skin around my nose, mouth and forehead, even though I have barely any. Flakes everywhere! Today I exfoliated beforehand to make sure I had no dry skin on my face, and then when through the same moisturising/primer routine, and it still turned out horribly. I just couldn't get the foundation to blend with my skin. From a distance it did look nice because the colour was such a good match, but up close I looked about five years older. This is also a very thick liquid which I found hard to apply. If you can get it to work for you then go for it, because the colour selection really is great, but unfortunately this just does not work on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by aells

I LOVE this foundation. It came to me as a suggestion from a Sephora rep (I usually never trust them) but she tried it out on me and I loved the way that it looked. As if I had nothing on. The color also matched perfectly! The price is a bit steep, but I am still using the same bottle I purchased in early May. I am into trying new foundations, but I will always have this as a staple.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2013 4:23:00 AM More reviews by WazzleDazzle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Couldn't wait to try this foundation and boy am I glad I did! Looks like nothing on the skin all the while covering everything beautifully! Flawless foundation, seamless coverage. Not so pleased with the plastic bottle as you have to give it abit of a squeeze to get the product out but at £27 for a high end foundation, I'm a happy bunny. This is another brand which is only available in Selfridges in London so if you would like to purchase online, Illamasqua have a very helpful chart on their website matching your current foundation, for example Nars, to a skin base foundation. This is how I purchased mine and it was a perfect match!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2013 9:19:00 AM More reviews by forestpitchlove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This foundation is pretty good. The main attraction for me was the colour match, 02 for pale skin is pretty much perfect, I have spent a lot of money trying different ones over time in their palest shade and they never fitted quite right.
Then there is the coverage issue, having combination skin, they are either too dewy or too matt.
This is just about right not too heavy, medium yet covers most imperfections.
That is all well and good once you work out how to apply it properly; I've tried different primers and moisturizers; all not ideal as it would either end up too oily or too dry. Also tried the buffing in instead of using hands, I have no idea how some people are able to put this straight on and not end up with a load of dried up areas..
I eventually nearly gave up but then had the idea of blending it with aloe vera, and now that works perfectly for me and lasts all day. My skin actually looks perfect that way.

Overall it's a really great product but Illasmasqua should really try and make their foundations easier to apply!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2013 2:29:00 PM More reviews by Rox1808

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This didn't work for me, although the coverage is excellent. Having acne-prone skin, it covered all the scars, but it doesn't have lasting power, after an hour my face looked shiny & the foundation just felt like it was slipping off, not a good look if you are on a night out. I also bought the the powder foundation just so it would stay on longer but that was a no-go. The stickers on the bottle come off quickly, so if you wanted to buy again unless you know the shade you would really struggle to get the same.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by AnEnglishRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This foundation is absolutely amazing. You need very little of it to last all day (think a pea size amount), and the finish is a beautiful semi-matte with a dewy finish in just the right places. The packaging is maybe a little cheap (I prefer glass bottles for higher-end priced foundations), but the plastic squeeze tube is light, portable, and very good for travel; plus, I feel like the highly pigmented foundation is a good trade-off for a cheaper packaging. Also a plus? The foundation is light enough for my pale skin! That is so hard to find in America. I'm 02, for reference - a step up from pure white.

I would say the finish is comparable to Giorgio Armani's Luminous Silk Foundation - but there are differences. Illamasqua's color choices are a little different (the 02 in Illamasqua has a -very- pink undertone; Armani's has a more yellow undertone in 03), Illamasqua's lasts longer and is less oily overall, and the consistency is much thicker than Armani's, providing more coverage.

I've read a number of reviews saying that the foundation looks cakey or does not apply well. I've been lucky not to have those results with this, but I think that's only because I did so much review reading before I even bought the product! This is what works for me and what I've read works for many others:

I apply some light lotion to my face with my foundation buffing brush. Then Neutrogena SPF 100 sunblock (it's a very oily, thick lotion for reference). Then Makeup Forever's HD Primer in Pink with the same buffing brush. Then I put a pea size amount of foundation on the back of my hand, and dab a little to my cheek before buffing it in with the same buffing brush. I do this with it for each section of my face, one at a time. Using the same brush for the lotion, primer, and foundation helps the foundation apply better and last longer without streaking. When I finish this, I take a clean stippling brush and just buff that over the foundation. I find it helps it set better. When I'm done with the rest of my makeup, the foundation sets, and it looks like skin, but better :)

Overall, great foundation. Great coverage. Natural finish. Long wearing. A little goes a long way. Great value. Perfect for very pale types.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by etternax

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation. Colour 09 is a bit darker than NC30 in MAC. I still did not get my shade as cannot find samples. I am NC25-27 in MAC so hope you could give me advice about the colour. The finish is like skin, does not show that you have anything on while it covers well and hides imperfections. Quite buildable. Light smell, dewy finish, not at all oily. Great for all skin types (I am combination).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I hate this foundation more than words can describe. I bought it in the shade white to add to my other foundations since they are too dark as I have very, very fair skin. This foundation cut the wear time of my other foundations in half when mixed in with them and then lo and behold, oxidized the foundations. This is one of the only foundations I have ever had oxidize on me and given that its a white foundation that kind of defeated its purpose big time. I'm kicking myself for tossing my receipt since I figured what could go wrong with a white foundation but apparently everything could. Worst foundation I have ever used. If any of you have skin that is too light for the lightest shade of most brands...help a girl out please.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by sharonsevea

Love that illamasqua does so many shades of their foundations. I am using the shade SB 08 and its perfect on my skin. During summer months it gives my skin a glow but not an oily sort of glow but a healthy glow but at the same time keep it reasonably matte if you know what I mean. It is a tiny bit difficult to blend so you have to be quick but that doesnt cause me any problems. When used with the illamasqua matt primer its perfect.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Though I could go on why I don't like the foundation, you can't beat the color section! I just can't find a good match to my skin, and in SB I found a good (not perfect) match - the best I could find among other brands. Most of them are either orange/peach, the lightest is too dark or it oxidizes into an orange or beige color. I was convinced I need the matte primer so I bought it (I have oily skin). What I don't like it is that the waring power isn't too powerful.
If you touch your face after few hours, you completely remove the foundation (i tried to blend a small part on my forehead with my finger and ended with removed foundation from the touched place, which is a novelty for me :P), it shines pretty fast (matte primer + pressed powder in 010, both by Illa).
It photographs nicely. And, though it is supposed to have a semi dewy finish, I find (with or without the primer) that it has an almost matte, dry finish. It covers the redness and imperfections pretty good, but for the under eye area I suggest to use a concealer.

During the winter time (atm -2 Celsius degrees) it performs really poor. After two hours I am left with a patchy face. The foundation breaks and melts, and you are left with an uneven foundation. I feel ashamed when I come home and see that the foundation didn't survive a couple of hours of wear time, but gave me a bad face. I don't have a habit of blotting my face or reapplying my foundation during the day. I haven't tried with a primer, and underneath I used an oil free moisturizer by Yves Rocher (anti imperfections).

I WOULDN'T buy it again. It's a good foundation for fall and spring. For winter, the cold, going in and out from warm places into the cold ones combined with my oily skin break the foundation, and summer, well heat has the same effect on this foundation :).

The color range makes this foundation a winner, not it's performance and characteristics - keep that in mind :)! It's a shame it contains oil. I find the package OK, but it would be better if it had a screw-open top and a pump - I'm not sure how I'll use it when the tube gets almost empty because the bottom of the tube isn't squeezable and you can't cut the packaging easily!

SUM:
- big color range!!
- semi matte to matte finish
- medium, buildable coverage
- wear time poor
- not for extreme weather (too cold, too warm, sports)
- easily transferable (touch your nose, or cheek, and off goes the foundation)
- would not recommend nor buy it again (there are better out there)
- haven't found a primer that combats the cons
- oily/combo skin starts to shine after 1.5 hrs