April 16, 2014 | 2079 users online

Sunscreen - Skinceuticals - Physical Fusion SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2013 9:01:00 AM More reviews by rayoflight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Must be the most esthetically pleasing sunscreen ever! It's very thin, spreads wonderfully, absolutely no white cast, blends with skin and when it dries, it's actually velvety (first 5 minutes it's wet and looks gross). But for everyday use I set it with transparent powder because matte skin makes me look better. Somewhat water resistant, not really sweat resistant, most of it can be washed off with plain water and no rubbing. Not suited for sports or something like that. It's a bit too posh for that anyhow. Behaves on skin well, doesn't irritate, unless you actually get some in eyes, then it stings, obviously. No clogged pores, no breakouts or dried up skin. Smells vaguely like paint thinner and that lasts for a couple hours, there have been days where I was almost nauseated by the reek, but over time I grew accustomed to that as well. I'm still mystified how it gets the high SPF rating with those filter concentrations, but it seems to work regardless. No pigment as long as I have worn it, it does keep the rays away. That strange dirt-colored tint is another miracle as well, it looks like rancid sewer residue straight out of the bottle and the chemical smell does not help, but on skin it does something and voila! - skin looks bright and uniform. Another promise kept. It even hides some minor redness and disguises my slight eye circles. But I practically drown my face in it. Other people use drops of it and then blend it in and then wonder why they get sunburnt and why hyperpigmentation occurs, but that's their problem for not reading the instructions. It's not the sunscreen's fault. One lippie off because it isn't as resistant as I'd like it to be and it has a tendency to gather in skin folds unless set with a powder, but otherwise it's a marvel and everyone should try this one because it's truly miles ahead of most other sunscreens out there!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have sensitive (reactive) oily/dehydrated skin that is very clog-prone. This looked like it would be a winner based on the ingredients. I liked the tint, though it was a *little* dark for my skin tone (I don't use MAC makeup, but I believe I'd be somewhere between NC15 and NC20), and the non-greasy finish. It has an odd chemical scent, but I didn't find it too bothersome. However after a few days of use, it clogged, irritated, and dried out my skin, plus I felt a burning sensation for about 30 seconds after applying it. :(

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by loomisks

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best sunscreen I have used to date. I have ivory skin tone so I use sunscreen everyday, no matter what the weather.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 9:42:00 AM More reviews by Katie5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an excellent sunscreen for wearing underneath foundation. It sinks into the skin almost instantly and leaves a silky smooth base. I love the fact that it is SPF50 and doesn't leave me with any sticky residue on my face.

The biggest selling-point of this sunscreen is that, unlike most sunscreens with a high SPF, it is tinted to that it doesn't leave a white cast on the skin. This is a nice plus, although I would always apply foundation over the top so the white cast is not necessarily a deal-breaker for me. What I would point out is that, while it is marketed as a 'universal' tint, it is in fact somewhere around nc25 in MAC terms. This doesn't matter at all if you are putting makeup over the top, but worth bearing in mind if you were hoping to use this on its own. I am naturally a lot fairer than nc25, and I do find that it darkens my skin considerably.

Another thing to point out to those based in the UK is that this is almost impossible to get hold of. My sister lives in the US so she buys this online for me because I can never find it over here. The version that is readily available on amazon.co.uk is usually the physical one rather than the physical fusion. This is such a shame and I hope this becomes more readily available here soon!

The final thing to note is that this is very expensive, but after trying so many sticky, uncomfortable sunscreens that didn't cope well under foundation, I am happy to repurchase this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by Deandra

I am very impressed with this sunscreen. The dermatologist had it for patients to try on my last visit, and I ended up buying a bottle. It really does feel weightless on combination skin and I have been using it instead of a primer the past few days. At 33 dollars for the small bottle, it is affordable, and when was the last time you found an SPF 50 that didn't feel thick or greasy? This is suitable for sensitive skin, including rosacea types, because the active ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide in the form of Z-Cote which is a very sheer micronized zinc. Zinc is soothing on skin, as you probably know. The "universal tint" is a neutral beige that looks best on light to medium skin tones and may eliminate your need for foundation if you don't like a lot of coverage anyway, but it's sheer enough for men to use - it's not like wearing makeup. However, the tint is one of the things other reviewers have complained about, so perhaps it isn't completely universal. Nevertheless, this is a great sunscreen to wear under foundations that do not contain sunscreen already, and it's perfect for trips to sunny climates. Just remember to shake the bottle a little before you apply to ensure perfect consistency of product.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2012 8:49:00 AM More reviews by vickib1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great product for anyone looking for broad-spectrum mineral sunscreen that also works well as a sheer foundation.
It has a very fluid, silky texture that goes on easliy (over moisturizer because it isn't a tinted moisturizer) and drys to a nice matte finish.
I gave it 4 lippies because it only comes in one shade which could be a problem and I found that I have to be careful on much I use or it turns an orangish color.
I have dry, very sensitve skin and haven't had any break-outs, irritation or other problems with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 2:03:00 PM More reviews by katieqr0918

My HG sunscreen has always been Shiseido sunscreens and I don't know what made me shell out the bucks to buy this but boy am I glad I did... Other than the cost, ( which is way too high), this is a wonderful tinted sunscreen that matches me perfectly (NW20), stays put all day and really only requires a little powder for me to blot the shine. Some days I put foundation over it if I am looking for a more polished look but not every day. This is rapidly over taking Shiseido as my HG sunscreen. Love this stuff... also, it does not irritate my highly sensitive skin and nor my allergy prone eyes. I bought the supersize bottle for some reason as my first purchase of this and I am really glad I did. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2012 2:33:00 PM More reviews by candace4125

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is alright. My esthetician convinced me to purchase this because at the time I was not using suncscreen. This product does have a tint to it so it does provide some coverage. This sunscreen goes well under makeup because it doesnt give a greasy feeling, however it is somewhat drying. As a sunscreen it works nicely.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by MakeMeDown

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wear this sunscreen every day and I love it. It is super sheer and light and great under makeup. It can leave a white film on your face if you have it too thick in an area, but this is easily buffed into your skin. It doesn't feel at all like you're putting spf 50 on your face. And it lasts a long time - a little of this goes a long way. I bought my first bottle in April and I just had to replace it in December. That seems to justify the price in my book.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by ilovetocount

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this sunscreen for a few months and have repurchased three times. My skin is normal and clear except for some blackheads on my nose. I should note that I don't have issues with acne, and I wouldn't consider my skin sensitive. However, I have widespread melasma (brown patches) that I have been treating with Retin-A and Obagi, which can leave my skin red and flaky. A very effective sunscreen is an absolute must, and I have tried dozens. Here are my thoughts:

The Physical Fusion SPF 50 is 100% physical sunscreen that offers high protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Personally, I prefer a physical sunscreen over a chemical one because chemical sunscreens leave my skin feeling hot, and my hyper pigmentation is sensitive to both light and heat.

The formula is perhaps the most elegant and easy to apply than any other sunscreen I have tried. It melts into my skin, leaving a lovely semi matte finish that isn't shiny. I love that it doesn't sit like a mask on top of my skin, unlike most sunscreens I have used. The tint helps my NC 15 skin tone look more even. While it certainly doesn't conceal my brown patches, I definitely notice a positive improvement in my skin tone after I apply it. The one drawback is that the tint is almost too dark. I would proceed with caution if you are very fair.

Most importantly, it works. My pigmentation is slowly but surely lightening. While the Retin A and Obagi are partly responsible, they are useless and damaging if not used with an effective sunscreen. I declare HG status for this one.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No