July 29, 2014 | 1899 users online

Sunscreen - Skinceuticals - Physical Fusion SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 11:13:00 AM More reviews by AshleyAesthetics

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My absolute HG sunscreen! I don't dread wearing sunscreen anymore because of this product. It's perfect.

It's a physical mineral sunblock with no chemical filters... yet still so light and almost disappears once it dries. It seems slightly hydrating with a semi matte finish. The universal tint is perfect, as it evens out lighter/medium skin tones, and prevents the white mineral cast that usually really shows in darker skin tones. Great under makeup, and perfect for a tiny skin boost on my makeup free days. Love, love, love.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Parpar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

My first HG product! Now that I have found, I wondered how I lived without it!

I am 21 and it was only last year that I decided to start wear sun screen basically everyday (rain or shine). Since I rarely burn, it's not as important as some people may think but since I have olive toned skin when I get a pimple, I pigment easily therefore protecting my skin from UVB and UVA rays is important as sun makes pigment darker!

As mentioned this works well on my olive skin. I do think it would work on every skin tone as it melts right into the skin. I don't know how to explain it...it makes your skin look smooth, and one colour but doesn't camouflage anything haha. Like it helps with redness/texture/blotchy-ness but won't cover that pimple up. However it's just a tint!

It smells disgusting...like wet socks maybe, but the scent dissipates. Currently it is April and basically all I use in the morning is my Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel, this sunscreen and my Jane Iredale SPF 20 powder. Even if I come home early from uni and take my make-up off to shower with the intention of going out at night...I still do the same routine. I love how it helps with my oily skin, no other moisturizer (even the lightest) has been able to do that for my skin. So I don't care if it's dark, as long as it's not breaking me out or causing my skin to be oily I will wear it.

Some other notes:
- people with drier skin will want to use a moisturizer underneath this...but when my skin was drier than normal I tried to use Skinceuticals Daily Moisture and it didn't look good. Some patches were still dry and my powder looked cakey (I don't think I let everything dry properly). I would recommend applying your moisturizer and letting it sit until it completely dries then add this top.
- don't mix it in with your moisturizer...the benefits of the SPF will be lost and the tint won't show much.
- It's expensive, but well worth it.
- I wouldn't use this on your neck/chest unless you could afford to spend that much. Since it is so expensive and light, I only put it on my face because it's a smaller area then my neck/chest. I just use ELTA MD's sunscreen on my chest because it's thicker therefore less product spreads to more area.
- I use about a quarter size for my whole face (sometimes more).

Lastly...make sure you get the fusion. Skinceuticals has two different SPF's in the exact same container. The other one is like normal sunscreen and white. The fusion is the one with the tint.

So excited I found this...my sunscreen problems have been solved! =)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

Loved the slight tint of this for my NC 25-30 LLL skin tone (if you have lighter skin you may see this on your skin though) and the super light feel of this (very reminiscient of La Roche Posay's super light sunscreen) but this caused my rosacea to flare and I had a horrible reaction to this, so much so, that I had to use prescription cortisone cream for a week to calm my skin.

I so wish this had worked for my skin so to those of you reading these reviews trying to decide on whether to try this sunscreen I suggest getting a sample first because it looks like a love/hate affair with this product.

As far as the smell it reminds me of wet dog and as someone who owns 3 golden retrievers I know that smell well. I wish it smelled like wet concrete.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2013 9:01:00 AM More reviews by rayoflight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Must be the most esthetically pleasing sunscreen ever! It's very thin, spreads wonderfully, absolutely no white cast, blends with skin and when it dries, it's actually velvety (first 5 minutes it's wet and looks gross). But for everyday use I set it with transparent powder because matte skin makes me look better. Somewhat water resistant, not really sweat resistant, most of it can be washed off with plain water and no rubbing. Not suited for sports or something like that. It's a bit too posh for that anyhow. Behaves on skin well, doesn't irritate, unless you actually get some in eyes, then it stings, obviously. No clogged pores, no breakouts or dried up skin. Smells vaguely like paint thinner and that lasts for a couple hours, there have been days where I was almost nauseated by the reek, but over time I grew accustomed to that as well. I'm still mystified how it gets the high SPF rating with those filter concentrations, but it seems to work regardless. No pigment as long as I have worn it, it does keep the rays away. That strange dirt-colored tint is another miracle as well, it looks like rancid sewer residue straight out of the bottle and the chemical smell does not help, but on skin it does something and voila! - skin looks bright and uniform. Another promise kept. It even hides some minor redness and disguises my slight eye circles. But I practically drown my face in it. Other people use drops of it and then blend it in and then wonder why they get sunburnt and why hyperpigmentation occurs, but that's their problem for not reading the instructions. It's not the sunscreen's fault. One lippie off because it isn't as resistant as I'd like it to be and it has a tendency to gather in skin folds unless set with a powder, but otherwise it's a marvel and everyone should try this one because it's truly miles ahead of most other sunscreens out there!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have sensitive (reactive) oily/dehydrated skin that is very clog-prone. This looked like it would be a winner based on the ingredients. I liked the tint, though it was a *little* dark for my skin tone (I don't use MAC makeup, but I believe I'd be somewhere between NC15 and NC20), and the non-greasy finish. It has an odd chemical scent, but I didn't find it too bothersome. However after a few days of use, it clogged, irritated, and dried out my skin, plus I felt a burning sensation for about 30 seconds after applying it. :(

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by loomisks

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best sunscreen I have used to date. I have ivory skin tone so I use sunscreen everyday, no matter what the weather.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 9:42:00 AM More reviews by Katie5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an excellent sunscreen for wearing underneath foundation. It sinks into the skin almost instantly and leaves a silky smooth base. I love the fact that it is SPF50 and doesn't leave me with any sticky residue on my face.

The biggest selling-point of this sunscreen is that, unlike most sunscreens with a high SPF, it is tinted to that it doesn't leave a white cast on the skin. This is a nice plus, although I would always apply foundation over the top so the white cast is not necessarily a deal-breaker for me. What I would point out is that, while it is marketed as a 'universal' tint, it is in fact somewhere around nc25 in MAC terms. This doesn't matter at all if you are putting makeup over the top, but worth bearing in mind if you were hoping to use this on its own. I am naturally a lot fairer than nc25, and I do find that it darkens my skin considerably.

Another thing to point out to those based in the UK is that this is almost impossible to get hold of. My sister lives in the US so she buys this online for me because I can never find it over here. The version that is readily available on amazon.co.uk is usually the physical one rather than the physical fusion. This is such a shame and I hope this becomes more readily available here soon!

The final thing to note is that this is very expensive, but after trying so many sticky, uncomfortable sunscreens that didn't cope well under foundation, I am happy to repurchase this one.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by Deandra

I am very impressed with this sunscreen. The dermatologist had it for patients to try on my last visit, and I ended up buying a bottle. It really does feel weightless on combination skin and I have been using it instead of a primer the past few days. At 33 dollars for the small bottle, it is affordable, and when was the last time you found an SPF 50 that didn't feel thick or greasy? This is suitable for sensitive skin, including rosacea types, because the active ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide in the form of Z-Cote which is a very sheer micronized zinc. Zinc is soothing on skin, as you probably know. The "universal tint" is a neutral beige that looks best on light to medium skin tones and may eliminate your need for foundation if you don't like a lot of coverage anyway, but it's sheer enough for men to use - it's not like wearing makeup. However, the tint is one of the things other reviewers have complained about, so perhaps it isn't completely universal. Nevertheless, this is a great sunscreen to wear under foundations that do not contain sunscreen already, and it's perfect for trips to sunny climates. Just remember to shake the bottle a little before you apply to ensure perfect consistency of product.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2012 8:49:00 AM More reviews by vickib1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great product for anyone looking for broad-spectrum mineral sunscreen that also works well as a sheer foundation.
It has a very fluid, silky texture that goes on easliy (over moisturizer because it isn't a tinted moisturizer) and drys to a nice matte finish.
I gave it 4 lippies because it only comes in one shade which could be a problem and I found that I have to be careful on much I use or it turns an orangish color.
I have dry, very sensitve skin and haven't had any break-outs, irritation or other problems with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 2:03:00 PM More reviews by katieqr0918

My HG sunscreen has always been Shiseido sunscreens and I don't know what made me shell out the bucks to buy this but boy am I glad I did... Other than the cost, ( which is way too high), this is a wonderful tinted sunscreen that matches me perfectly (NW20), stays put all day and really only requires a little powder for me to blot the shine. Some days I put foundation over it if I am looking for a more polished look but not every day. This is rapidly over taking Shiseido as my HG sunscreen. Love this stuff... also, it does not irritate my highly sensitive skin and nor my allergy prone eyes. I bought the supersize bottle for some reason as my first purchase of this and I am really glad I did. Will definitely repurchase.