September 22, 2014 | 1004 users online

Sunscreen - Skinceuticals - Physical Fusion SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by MrMontyBurns

Unquestionably HG for me! I have rosacea and thus very sensitive skin. I swear I've tried dozens of sunscreens, and even those marketed for sensitive skin caused redness/burning/bumps.

One day I happened to be talking to a friend about sunscreen--she's a true redhead with very fair skin (I'm super jealous, but anyway)--and she said she swears by this. So I gave it a try.

When I first saw it out of the bottle, I thought no way is this going to work on my light skin. But alas! It blends right in! It's not super oily, but definitely not matte. I either put powder on top, or if I'm in a hurry, wear it alone. I've had a couple of people randomly tell me I look "glowing", which I can only attribute to this.

I put some on my neck and any exposed chest. Been using for over a year with no reaction at all! Protection is great too--used this on a trip to the Dominican Republic where I sat outside for much of the time, and no burning. Oh, and it washes off easily with my regular face wash (CeraVe foaming).

Highly recommend!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2013 2:31:00 AM More reviews by BodyBar

As a big fan of physical sunscreens, I am very impressed with this product. Not only is it Paraben free it, its also chemical free. The product has a tint that can match with every skin color (using a unique combination of gold, red & brown) and offers a minimum coverage.

This product is ideal for dry to combination skin (not oily or acneic skin as it has a bit of a sheen to it and can cause some pore congestion). I can wear this product over my antioxidant without a moisturizer and it offers a 50SPF.

Its a once a day application (unless you are sweating or swimming).

I love this product if I am not wearing make up, on days i am wearing make up I use my mineral powder SPF option or I will use the Sheer Physical (non-tinted more mattifying than the physical fusion).

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by PMC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

When Murad discontinued my HG sunscreen, the Sheer Tint SPF 15, I went on a search and tried about 20 different new products. This is the one I ended up buying. I have light-medium oily sensitive skin (MAC NC30) and sensitive eyes, and chemical screens and many makeups irritate my eyes and most makeups clog my skin and make me break out.

Pros: very light texture. It goes on sort of slippery and shiny but in 5 minutes dries to a smooth, semi-matte finish. The tint does even out skin tone a bit, but not a lot. It looks like you have no makeup on, so it is good for bright sunlight. In warm weather I wear this with powder over it, and on cooler days, I may not need the powder. This does not irritate my skin or eyes and does not clog my skin. I wore this outdoors 3.5 hours on a 95-degree day with 80% humidity and while it didn't block all of the sun (like Bare Minerals would), I got only a little bit of sun on my nose and forehead which faded in a day. I also like the bottle and applicator, very no-nonsense and hygienic and precise disbursement of product.

Cons: Strange chemical odor upon application, which fades in a few minutes. Not sure how this will perform in cold weather when my skin is not so oily. If you have any drier patches, it may accentuate them a bit. Not sure how well it will perform under makeup; seems to mix strangely with the satiny foundation I use around my eyes. If you're looking for coverage in your sunscreen, this isn't the product for you. Not sure how sweatproof it is. Not cheap. Not as easy to find as some brands.

I would probably buy again, or I might try the Clarins UV Ecran Teinte, a similar product with a hair more coverage.

UPDATE: After months of using this, I'm still impressed by its performance. It's a bit pale but I mix a drop of a darker BB cream and create the shade I want. I'm pleased with this product. I'd buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 11:13:00 AM More reviews by AshleyAesthetics

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My absolute HG sunscreen! I don't dread wearing sunscreen anymore because of this product. It's perfect.

It's a physical mineral sunblock with no chemical filters... yet still so light and almost disappears once it dries. It seems slightly hydrating with a semi matte finish. The universal tint is perfect, as it evens out lighter/medium skin tones, and prevents the white mineral cast that usually really shows in darker skin tones. Great under makeup, and perfect for a tiny skin boost on my makeup free days. Love, love, love.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Parpar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

My first HG product! Now that I have found, I wondered how I lived without it!

I am 21 and it was only last year that I decided to start wear sun screen basically everyday (rain or shine). Since I rarely burn, it's not as important as some people may think but since I have olive toned skin when I get a pimple, I pigment easily therefore protecting my skin from UVB and UVA rays is important as sun makes pigment darker!

As mentioned this works well on my olive skin. I do think it would work on every skin tone as it melts right into the skin. I don't know how to explain it...it makes your skin look smooth, and one colour but doesn't camouflage anything haha. Like it helps with redness/texture/blotchy-ness but won't cover that pimple up. However it's just a tint!

It smells disgusting...like wet socks maybe, but the scent dissipates. Currently it is April and basically all I use in the morning is my Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel, this sunscreen and my Jane Iredale SPF 20 powder. Even if I come home early from uni and take my make-up off to shower with the intention of going out at night...I still do the same routine. I love how it helps with my oily skin, no other moisturizer (even the lightest) has been able to do that for my skin. So I don't care if it's dark, as long as it's not breaking me out or causing my skin to be oily I will wear it.

Some other notes:
- people with drier skin will want to use a moisturizer underneath this...but when my skin was drier than normal I tried to use Skinceuticals Daily Moisture and it didn't look good. Some patches were still dry and my powder looked cakey (I don't think I let everything dry properly). I would recommend applying your moisturizer and letting it sit until it completely dries then add this top.
- don't mix it in with your moisturizer...the benefits of the SPF will be lost and the tint won't show much.
- It's expensive, but well worth it.
- I wouldn't use this on your neck/chest unless you could afford to spend that much. Since it is so expensive and light, I only put it on my face because it's a smaller area then my neck/chest. I just use ELTA MD's sunscreen on my chest because it's thicker therefore less product spreads to more area.
- I use about a quarter size for my whole face (sometimes more).

Lastly...make sure you get the fusion. Skinceuticals has two different SPF's in the exact same container. The other one is like normal sunscreen and white. The fusion is the one with the tint.

So excited I found this...my sunscreen problems have been solved! =)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

Loved the slight tint of this for my NC 25-30 LLL skin tone (if you have lighter skin you may see this on your skin though) and the super light feel of this (very reminiscient of La Roche Posay's super light sunscreen) but this caused my rosacea to flare and I had a horrible reaction to this, so much so, that I had to use prescription cortisone cream for a week to calm my skin.

I so wish this had worked for my skin so to those of you reading these reviews trying to decide on whether to try this sunscreen I suggest getting a sample first because it looks like a love/hate affair with this product.

As far as the smell it reminds me of wet dog and as someone who owns 3 golden retrievers I know that smell well. I wish it smelled like wet concrete.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2013 9:01:00 AM More reviews by rayoflight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Must be the most esthetically pleasing sunscreen ever! It's very thin, spreads wonderfully, absolutely no white cast, blends with skin and when it dries, it's actually velvety (first 5 minutes it's wet and looks gross). But for everyday use I set it with transparent powder because matte skin makes me look better. Somewhat water resistant, not really sweat resistant, most of it can be washed off with plain water and no rubbing. Not suited for sports or something like that. It's a bit too posh for that anyhow. Behaves on skin well, doesn't irritate, unless you actually get some in eyes, then it stings, obviously. No clogged pores, no breakouts or dried up skin. Smells vaguely like paint thinner and that lasts for a couple hours, there have been days where I was almost nauseated by the reek, but over time I grew accustomed to that as well. I'm still mystified how it gets the high SPF rating with those filter concentrations, but it seems to work regardless. No pigment as long as I have worn it, it does keep the rays away. That strange dirt-colored tint is another miracle as well, it looks like rancid sewer residue straight out of the bottle and the chemical smell does not help, but on skin it does something and voila! - skin looks bright and uniform. Another promise kept. It even hides some minor redness and disguises my slight eye circles. But I practically drown my face in it. Other people use drops of it and then blend it in and then wonder why they get sunburnt and why hyperpigmentation occurs, but that's their problem for not reading the instructions. It's not the sunscreen's fault. One lippie off because it isn't as resistant as I'd like it to be and it has a tendency to gather in skin folds unless set with a powder, but otherwise it's a marvel and everyone should try this one because it's truly miles ahead of most other sunscreens out there!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have sensitive (reactive) oily/dehydrated skin that is very clog-prone. This looked like it would be a winner based on the ingredients. I liked the tint, though it was a *little* dark for my skin tone (I don't use MAC makeup, but I believe I'd be somewhere between NC15 and NC20), and the non-greasy finish. It has an odd chemical scent, but I didn't find it too bothersome. However after a few days of use, it clogged, irritated, and dried out my skin, plus I felt a burning sensation for about 30 seconds after applying it. :(

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by loomisks

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best sunscreen I have used to date. I have ivory skin tone so I use sunscreen everyday, no matter what the weather.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 9:42:00 AM More reviews by Katie5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an excellent sunscreen for wearing underneath foundation. It sinks into the skin almost instantly and leaves a silky smooth base. I love the fact that it is SPF50 and doesn't leave me with any sticky residue on my face.

The biggest selling-point of this sunscreen is that, unlike most sunscreens with a high SPF, it is tinted to that it doesn't leave a white cast on the skin. This is a nice plus, although I would always apply foundation over the top so the white cast is not necessarily a deal-breaker for me. What I would point out is that, while it is marketed as a 'universal' tint, it is in fact somewhere around nc25 in MAC terms. This doesn't matter at all if you are putting makeup over the top, but worth bearing in mind if you were hoping to use this on its own. I am naturally a lot fairer than nc25, and I do find that it darkens my skin considerably.

Another thing to point out to those based in the UK is that this is almost impossible to get hold of. My sister lives in the US so she buys this online for me because I can never find it over here. The version that is readily available on amazon.co.uk is usually the physical one rather than the physical fusion. This is such a shame and I hope this becomes more readily available here soon!

The final thing to note is that this is very expensive, but after trying so many sticky, uncomfortable sunscreens that didn't cope well under foundation, I am happy to repurchase this one.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No