Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

4.4

Synthetic Taklon

on 3/25/2015 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

No, I don't love this set like everybody else. I've had this set for 6 months and I DO NOT RECOMMEND this set for the eyes. This are good concealer brushes but I went on buying more brushes for the eyes because this didn't made it for me, not even as a beginner.
This was the first set of brushes that I bought and I realized after only a week that I could only do a very very basic eye makeup having only this set:
-I needed a more precise crease brush, the deluxe crease brush is huge only good for a wash of color.
-I needed a smaller brush for more precise work, (making the outerV for example) it doesn't come with the set.
-I needed a more thin angled brush, the one that is provided is too thick, I really hate that brush.
-The fine liner brush you can only use with gel eyeliner, I didn't have any gel eyeliner as a beginner.

The Ecotools eye enhancing duo set gives you more basic brushes and you can achieve more with those little 4 brushes than with the complete RT set, and it's only 10 canadian dollars. Check the reviews:

The still spa essentials are available only at Wallmart for 3$ each, with the same quality as the RT. They have some brushes that are missing from the RT collection and they sell individually, the RT are not sold individually. for 12$ you can get 4 eye brushes that give you more options than the RT starter set. Check the reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=113930

Like many people commented I would like the RT brushes to be available as singles. It makes me mad that I have to buy a whole new set, with brushes I don't ever use, just to get another base shadow brush or another buffing brush. I have written to RT about it and I'm not the only one complaining but they're not listening.

on 1/7/2015 8:49:00 PM

Great brushes for the price and no shedding!

on 12/29/2014 5:17:00 AM

love these brushes. have been using them for about a month. they have not shed any hairs. at all. amazingly soft. i have a use for all of the brushes. for me they blend very well. if im being lazy i will just use the deluxe crease brush with product on the tip and place in the crease and the outer hairs blend as i move the brush. love them

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I don't like these for eyeshadow, I think that they're too big and stiff and don't really blend properly, at least to me anyways. I prefer ecotools eye brushes (sorry Pixiwoo!! I still love you guys) they're just softer and blend nicer, tbh. However, I like either of the RT eye brushes for concealer, I think they work nicely for that :) the liner brush is actually great too, too bad my mother stole that one. Oddly enough I don't remember getting an accent brush in the set I got. :/ Overall, I prefer ecotools.

When I began wearing makeup I first bought MAC brushes and they were rough and awful. Then I began buying these and I fell in love. They are soft and easy to use. They blend my eyeshadow seamlessly and make any makeup look flawless.

on 11/29/2014 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

These brushes are AMAZINGGG! Definitely recommend this for anyone! The ones I use the most are the brow brush and the base shadow brush. The brow one is thick so I only use it for my inner eyebrow area and using a different smaller brush for the outer area. The base shadow brush is my favorite! I use it to blend my crease or to add color all over the lid. The first time I used it I was freaking out because it picks up and deposits eyeshadow like a dream! The buffing brush is also great for blending out concealer and also putting on powder in certain areas. So glad i picked this set up, definitely worth it.

on 11/27/2014 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I think this is an excellent beginning point for eye makeup as it comes with a liner brush, detail brush, crease brush, base shadow brush and a brow brush. For ~$15 and your first kit, you really can't beat it but after nearly 2 years of using it I've come to realize that for the most part I've really out grown this kit and it no longer meets my needs for eye makeup.

Ones I'm not crazy about:

1. Liner brush - Too large, repurposed as a lip brush (note - I think the newer editions include a finer liner brush)
2. Brow brush - Too soft
3. Detail brush - Decent enough, but I prefer the RT domed shading brush to this as it's larger although this is nice for an inner corner highlight
4. Crease brush - I use the one labeled as a crease brush as a base shadow brush (how Samantha fits this in her crease is beyond me, it's mammoth), repurposed for buffing in concealer mainly

The one I do like:

5. Base shadow brush - I actually use the one labeled as a base shadow brush as a crease/blending brush and it's my favorite, it's worth it for the $15 (on Amazon) alone in my opinion

Overall, I'm really glad I started with the RT set as it served me well, I can repurpose some of them, and it gave me a sense of what I want out of my future brushes.

on 11/14/2014 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

In this handy and great value kit, there are three brushes that I use religiously and two that I don't use at all, or rarely. I use the brow brush, base shadow brush and crease brush, and of the two little ones (fine liner brush and accent brush), I have occasionally used the accent brush for precise applications of concealer.
Brow brush - great for brow products, a little too thick/imprecise for applying eyeliner for me (my eyes are small and I prefer subtle/thin eyeliner on the odd occasion I use it).
Base shadow brush - again, great for base/lighter eyeshadows, I think it's a little too big/soft and therefore imprecise for me personally in blending darker shadows.
Crease brush - I use for darker shadows and blending into the crease and socket. I also use this brush to apply concealer under my eyes as it's the perfect shape. I also use it to apply different concealer on imperfections and then for blending same in.
I have two sets of these brushes. I threw away the stands as I thought they were kind of useless and I don't have space for them (my brushes are kept in ordinary water glasses). They wash easily and hold their shape. Love them and have repurchased and would again!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This brush set contains all the essentials you need to create beautiful eye makeup and I use them frequently when doing eye looks.

The brush quality is good indeed, picking up a good amount of colour and applying it very well. I particularly like using the Deluxe Crease Brush (and also the Base Shadow Brush sometimes) for concealer as they work well for it. That's the thing, these brushes are multi-purpose.

I don't use every single brush but I've used them all at least once and you can't really complain for the price.
The only thing, however, I do complain about is the stand - it's a good idea, but it's a bit cheap and doesn't really work properly (one of the brushes won't fit in again, annoyingly). Oh well, still a worthy buy!

on 10/2/2014 7:39:00 PM

I bought this kit for travel, and I am really not happy with it. The only brush I can actually use is the accent brush. The base shadow brush and crease brush are both too big, the eyeliner brush is too floppy and the brow brush isn't very useful without a spoolie on the opposite end.

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products