Tarte Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara

3.9

Aqua, cyclopentasiloxane, oryza sativa (rice) bran wax, hydrogenated olive oil stearyl esters, stearic acid, cera carnauba/copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax/cire de carnauba, alcohol, propylene glycol, triethanolamine, candelilla cera/euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax/cire de candelilla, acacia senegal gum, VP/VA copolymer, phenoxyethanol, polyvinyl alcohol, panthenol, aminomethyl propanediol, ascorbyl palmitate, ethylhexylglycerin, kaolin, iron oxides (CI 77499)

I think it's safe to say that I LOVE Tarte products and this mascara is no exception. I bought it after trying the sample size that I got in a Beauty Insider rewards gift box from Sephora. It makes my lashes SO long and full without being clumpy, flaky or rough on my very sensitive eyes. I will buy this again and again.

on 3/19/2015 5:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I'm just going to throw this out there - this product is not for everyone. The formula is very messy to apply...it's wet and clumpy, though IME not the "stick your eyelashes together" kinda clumpy. The product itself has clumps in it! That being said, once I figured out how to get this on my lashes without making a mess, I started to *love it.* I wipe the brush on the opening of the tube several times, rotating the brush each time, to remove any clumps or excess product. Then I apply as usual, starting at the outer corner and working my way in. This gives me a lot of definition, fullness, and even some length. I don't think this mascara holds a curl that well, but to be fair, my eyelash curler doesn't suit my eye shape and I miss a lot of lashes! One thing that I love about this product is that the second or third ingredient is olive oil, so it's more moisturizing than regular mascara. It doesn't flake on me, but it does smudge occasionally. Compared to other formulas I've tried, this one is hands-down the easiest to remove. I have very sensitive eyes and am limited to a couple of specific makeup removers, so this is actually an important consideration for me. I'm really liking the Tarte brand because of their gentle, almost nourishing formulas without the common "junky" ingredients (like mineral oil, parabens, triclosan, etc). Plus, Tarte is cruelty free, so double yay!

This mascara flaked on me, plus it was just "meh" on length and volume. The formula goes on smooth, but lashes look crumbly when you put on more than one coat.
I get better results from Drug Store brands, I'm returning it.

on 2/24/2015 11:59:00 PM

really cool packaging, reminds me of my Maybelline full n soft...only a lot more expensive, superior ingredients though no doubt

This is really one of my favourite black mascaras that I have tried. It sells for around 24$+tx at Sephora in Canada, which isn't amazing but not crazy like Lanc˘me or Dior.
It creates extensive length and volume on my lashes and comes in a cute wooden tube.
It really gives me the best overall effect for value that I have found. There are other mascaras like Hypn˘se Doll Eyes that produce a similar effect but it cheaper.
The ONLY bad thing I have to say about it is that it doesn't last as long as other mascaras - I guess because it is clay based? I mean that I usually throw out my mascaras every 3 months anyways due to sanitary reasons (seriously if you don't you are inviting a host of nasty eye infections bleugh) but it gets a bit dried out around the 2.5 month mark and doesn't have the same intense black colour.
All in all I really like it and will continue to repurchase it in the future.

on 2/5/2015 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This mascara really gave me great definition and length - I was impressed at how it didn't clump despite several passes with the wand. It didn't thicken my lashes at all, just lengthened and curled them slightly, but the brush really seemed to catch each and every lash and bring them up and out and make them longer, to a surprising degree. The mascara lasted 10 hours on me without flaking or smudging. The only reason I wouldn't re-buy this if I ran out is because I think there are several other really great mascaras at the drugstore that perform equally well for much less money; if money were no object, or I had a gift card, I would definitely buy this again. I love the wooden container, very unique; and there's no discernible fragrance, which is good in my book.

on 1/25/2015 9:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Love this mascara, I got this at sephora in mini because I tried it @ the store & loved how it gave me plenty of length. Definitely doesn't wear out a lot. Recommend. xxoo

on 1/15/2015 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Other than the packaging, this mascara does not cut it. It's super clumpy, yet wet at the same time. I have never had problems with smudging mascara until this. Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara is loads better!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I like this formula and brush. I get really sensetive eyes because of allergies and this mascara is very gentle, it is not for drama but for everyday. It is very light-weight and doesn't give a lot of lift or volume but a lot of definition and is very easy to work with, it doesn't really glob up as you try to space your eyelashes out so it's really great for someone new to makeup or someone that wants a very natural look. It doesn't fade, flake or smear. I'm not sure if I would be repurchasing because such a dainty look is not really my style but it is great at what it does.

on 1/6/2015 2:55:00 PM

Totally dry and flakey. Doesn't hold a curl or really *do* anything. It irritated my eyes by the end of the day because it flaked off so much.

Video Reviews & Tutorials