Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF50+ PA+++

4.4

Water, Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Lauryl Methacrylate/Sodium Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Dimethicone, Acrylates/C10-30 Acrylate Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Stearate, Agar, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citrus Grandis, Citrus Medica Limonum, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis, Xylitol, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Fragrance

on 4/3/2015 12:11:00 AM

*Please be aware that this (Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50) has been updated to a formula with PA++++ (4+s instead of 3 +s) - this updated formula just came out in April 2015. My review below (as well as the rest of the reviews) is for the version with PA+++ (3 +s).

MOST people (except dry skin) will find this sunscreen AMAZING for day needs - thus the 5 lipsticks (although I will not repurchase this for reasons in next paragraph). This sunscreen feels like a DREAM: light, silky upon applying with a wonderful nice fresh scent! After application, this dries quickly leaving a lovely finish, not messing up your layers of skincare underneath & plays well with makeup. It's even very affordable ($12 or less for 1.7 oz). This sunscreen is probably IDEAL for most skin types (except very DRY skin | for people who do not want to tan | people who need a waterproof sunscreen as this will run right off you when you sweat). I WISH I could keep buying this for the rest of my life and call it a day but...

The ONLY 3 reasons I would NOT buy this again:
1) Despite the SPF 50, I TAN more w/ this (compared to other sunblocks) - this sunblock does not provide enough Sun protection for me (much less than my SPF 30 sunblocks). Although the SPF 50 PA+++ would not indicate so, my face TANS more with this. I prefer my skin to stay as light as possible (I'm Korean) so I'm a bit more OCD about my face darkening than most people.
2) This is not water resistant or water proof AT ALL. My face tends to perspire in the summer and this sunblock will run right off on a humid day.
3) VERY Drying - I find this sunscreen VERY drying to the point that my face is uncomfortably TIGHTENING up (ouch!) and sometimes STINGS so I need to apply moisturizer on top of this during the day. To be fair, my skin is very dry however the 2 sunscreens below do not make my skin more dry like the Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence.

I will stick to my: (UPDATE since 06/2015) Sunplay Superblock SPF50+ PA++++ (alcohol free and the best moisturizing for my dry skin & maximum tan prevention). This sunscreen feel like nothing on my face (WAIT 5 mins! will dry down). My face has minimal tanning and my skin does not feel dry. It leaves a matte to semi-matte finish (although I have DRY skin, I can't stand a shiny greasy face after applying sunscreen).

1) One of the BEST REVIEWS of this product (and many others) can be found FROM this skincare BLOGGER WEBSITE: skinandtonics.com - extensive, HONEST, super smart with breakdown of ingredients, etc. and what they do to your skin. Her reviews are much too long to ever be on makeupalley but I have found her reviews extremely helpful and have led me to make excellent, effective purchases for my skin. When you read her reviews, you feel like a friend is speaking to you. Her new reviews stopped in late 2014 but the website is thankfully still up & her reviews are still SO helpful and relevant.

2) Another very handy skincare blogger website for Japanese sunscreen is: ratzillacosme.com and her link is below for the review:
She does extensive reviews on Japanese Sunscreens - so many to pick from yet so many get discontinued. Her reviews will state if the sunscreen is discontinued, updated - "2015 formula") etc.

*Please be aware that this (Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50) has been UPDATED to PA++++ (4+s instead of 3 +++). This should insure that you will not get old stock when you order this online. It is a pain that JAPANESE sunscreens do NOT have a date stamped on the bottom (like US & Korean sunscreens do). Luckily as many Japanese sunscreens have updated their formulas to PA ++++ (4+s instead of 3+s) in the past year, that should be very helpful that you are not getting old sunscreen.

Past sunscreens I have tried (I do NOT like Western sunscreen as they are ALL too heavy/filmy/greasy for me):
*Leaves a slick shiny film on my face: DHC's Suncut Q10 SPF 30, Clarins UV 40, C. Dior Pure Snow UV 50 , La Roche- Posay Anthelios XL 50 (SUPER heavy & oily), Natura Bisse
*Stung my face: Ocean Potion SPF45, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 45
* Skinceuticals Daily Sun Defense (good for oily skin?): Sucked the moisture/life out of my face:
*Shiseido: Effective SPF but too scented, too drying, a little heavy
* Biore UV Moist Face Milk SPF 50 PA+++: water-resistant but has alcohol
* Hada-Labo UV Whitening Emulsion SPF 50: "almost" but not quite - slightly drying

I am 49 yrs old, Korean, with dry skin since my mid 40s (but had combo/oily skin before). People who work in skincare (dermatologists, plastic surgeon nurses, aestheticians, sales people at Bergdorf, Barneys, Saks) think I'm 28-34 so I try to take care of my skin.

on 4/2/2015 7:24:00 PM

There just aren't enough words to describe how good this is. I stumbled across this little gem in a blog about the top 5 sunscreens. I was curious enough to order it online because you cannot buy it in Australia. Anyway, prior to this, I was using Neutrogena, but not anymore! This is a typical Asian sunscreen in texture. It is thin and spreads easily. However, it sets to a completely matte finish and stays that way all day. It is just about the best makeup primer I have ever come across. Our sun is vicious in summer in Australia and it also has to hold it's own as a good sunscreen. Well it performs magnificently on this count as well. All I can say, is "where have you been all my life"?

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I will never use another sunscreen other than this again. It is superior to all the Neutrogena ones, Clinique, and Clarins HP Sunscreen which i used for years before finding this. I live where its hot and sunny and definitely need sunscreen. I get oily very easy so i dread the though of putting on thick slimy sunscreen. This is basically a thinner than milk consistency and absorbs in 2 seconds. Ive been sitting in the sun at the beach this week and haven't gotten burned in the least. Most sunscreen breaks me out on my arms (maybe because many sunscreens are so thick?) but this is so thin i actually can't feel it after i put it on. Its perfect for me.

on 3/8/2015 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This as is as close to hg as I think I will get. No breakouts or clogs with it. It removes easily with my regular cleanser and it's not expensive. It has also been reformulated with a pa++++ which I still need to order but I do worry about that because of my acne prone skin. I am tempted to try out the watery gel as well which has the bonus of titanium dioxide I can't tell you how many sunscreens I've tried. From euro, us and other Japanese sunscreens. The only other one that my skin did OK with was the replenix sheer physical but something in it wasn't working for my skin. Other Japanese ss broke me out clogged me dried out my skin, left a white cast etc. Euro ss are thick and heavy ( as well as breaking me out, white cast). The only con is that it is not completely matte and it doesn't stay put if you sweat but it doesn't advertise itself too. For everyday use that's okay. I will say that I wish it would be fragrance free.

Update: 04/04/15 I'm currently testing out the Biore watery gel. It's only been 3 days. Hopefully all goes well. I thought I had checked the ingredients carefully but I realized the watery gel has some ingredients that may cause me some problems (cetyl alcohol being one of them). Hopefully it doesn't. I also ordered the Nivea uv creamy essence which I am waiting on. If not I will go back to this ss. I need more protection now that summer is approaching and being in Los Angeles. That's the only reason I'm testing others.

Update 06/28/15 The watery gel did not work for me although I did love the texture and finish. I'm also testing the 2015 formula of the watery essence and I'm not happy. First it feels a lot heavier than the 2014 version. It also takes a long time to dry down. It isn't as matte as the previous version. I think I'll start looking for a new sunscreen now.

on 3/4/2015 1:40:00 PM

I felt the need to write this review because I just love it so much. I've gone through 4 bottles at least! I have combo dehydrated sensitive skin. This sunscreen feels light and dries satin-matte. It doesn't control oil nearly as well as Shiseido's sunscreen but Shiseido's is also much more drying and expensive. I also love that it has SPF 50 and PA+++ which means it's UVA/UVB broad spectrum. It's a must have for me in the summer! I wore it for my 8-day trip in Orlando, FL under the scorching sun and I barely got tanned!

on 3/4/2015 1:29:00 PM

This is the best sunscreen I have ever used. Which is to say, I hate wearing sunscreen and every other I've tried has been terrible, so if this is as good as it gets then I'm happy to use it. It's effective, dries completely matte with no whitecast, and the light citrus scent doesn't irritate my skin or eyes (I use it on my eyelids with no issues). I have pretty dry skin and it is definitely a tad drying, so I use a light moisturizer or serum underneath and that keeps the flakies away for the most part. Will repurchase!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

The reason I picked up this stuff is because I heard it's a tried and tested favourite in Japan, and knowing how picky Japanese women are when it comes to sun protection, I decided to try it for myself. If you hate sunscreen this is definitely for you! Light, non greasy, softening and fantastic sun protection - what more could you ask for? What I love about this is how fast and easy it is to apply, how quickly it dries, and best of all: absolutely zero residue or cast. In fact, this stuff is so light, it felt like I wasn't wearing any sunscreen at all - and I kept reapplying it just to be safe. I spent a week trudging around in the baking hot sun of southern France: I have extremely sensitive skin that burns incredibly easily and was worried about painful sunburn, but this stuff worked like a charm! This also makes a great makeup base because it soaks up excess sebum and leaves a matte but silky smooth finish, even on extremely dry skin like mine. Great stuff. I'll be using it again this summer.

on 2/26/2015 6:42:00 AM

So I just had this super buzzed sunscreen from an Asian company (got it online as I live in the UK) and unfortunately, another bluff for me (got quite a few this year so far! And we're only in March...)
I have put it right in my skin since it's supposed to be a chemical sunscreen, and after that my foundation, powder etc. By the way, Ben Nye Classical setting powder is another big disappointment.

Anyways, I've been feeling my skin itchy and tight the whole morning. When I looked at my face 3 hours later, there you go, the same oily noise as usual. I have sensitive, combination skin, dry cheeks and oily t zone. But my skin is NOT oily, must state that.

I was recommended this sunscreen as it's supposed to be smooth and all that, matte... but hasn't worked for me. I guess for people living in very humid countries, or very oily skin type... would work. But not for sensitive skin. It does sting and irritates even using a light moisturiser under this crap. Have Hydreane Light (specific for normal to combination skin) which I think is the best for my skin type, and still feel my skin burning.

Guess I should have known better. Maybe is kinda suitable (although I doubt it) for very humid, hot, sunny places, but the worst decision if you live in London or any other similar European environments.

So avoid using this SS if your skin is dehydrated (no matter if it's dry, combination like mine or oily) or you have very sensitive skin. My advice? ALWAYS avoid SS containing alcohol. That's the worst thing you can do to your skin in the long term. Trust me.

on 1/9/2015 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This sunscreen is THE sunscreen for people who hate sunscreen...aka me. I've always hated applying the recommended amount of sunscreen because it leaves white casts and smells funky. But with this stuff, none of that happens. No white cast. Citrusy, pleasant smell. Dries in half a second. Smoothens skin. SPF 50. Get this. It's amazing. I got my grandma into using it and she loves it!

on 12/29/2014 4:36:00 PM

This sunscreen is the best sunscreen I've ever used.

It has great SPF, a good PA rating, and is so cosmetically elegant that it makes me excited to apply sunscreen.
It has a light, gel-like texture and a mild citrus-y smell, and feels very refreshing when you apply it. It dries down to a matte finish and has absolutely no white cast. It also does not break me out and I have acne prone skin.

However, it has quite a bit of denatured alcohol in it, so if that is something you avoid or you have drier skin, this sunscreen may not be the best for you. Also, the fact that I can't purchase this in a brick and mortar store is a bit of a con.

Overall, an amazing sunscreen. If you are someone who has been averse to using sunscreen out of fear of greasiness/white cast/breakouts, then I highly recommend that you try this one.