November 26, 2014 | 1017 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Paula's Choice - Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by emysiu

Every primer I've tried (Smashbox Photofinish, Monistat, Milk of Magnesia, etc.) has always caused clogged pores for me. This is the only exception so far. It goes on smooth, no clogged pores, even if I fall asleep with it. It does a fine job of minimizing my pores. Though in terms of shine control, it does quite a poor job. I get shiny within an hour of application. I don't even wear much makeup. I just put a layer of powder over this. However, because I've had such a hard time finding a better primer, I think that this will be my go-to for now.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2012 12:01:00 PM More reviews by LetsSwap

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product has dethroned my previous HG of mattifiers (Shiseido for Men). Reason being that this product doesn't make my face feel congested as with the Shiseido. This leaves a nice matte finish for me that lasts hours and doesn't "ball up" like all the Smashbox primers do. It also has a nice creamy feel, not siliconey, like Smashbox. I agree with a previous reviewer that this may be hit or miss so you'll just have to try it out for yourself.
This product works so well for me, I have to keep two handy: one to use as a primer, the other one for overnight (yes, I have to wear something at bedtime or else I'll wake up like I smeared lard on my face -ugh). It's never clogged my pores or caused any breakouts.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2012 12:38:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

At first I thought this sucked so bad and didn't do anything because I put it over primer, under foundation. Then I decided to put it over primer and foundation. After waiting for about 1-2 minutes, I would then dust on some powder. and hey! it worked way better. It keeps me matte most of the day. However, some things to note are :

- You can't put it over loose powder (and probably 2-way cake/compact powder). It will look gross and ball up or something.
- It will kinda sink into your pores when you put it over foundation. It's not very noticeable though.

Anyway, I would buy this again because it DOES help in reducing oil production provided it's used over foundation. (for my case, that is)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by mapn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I got a few complimentary samples of Shine Stopper with my Paula's Choice order. I’ve only tried a few mattifying primers before. Unfortunately, Shine Stopper just isn’t effective enough for my combination skin, which gets shiny quite quickly with or without this product. So no big difference either way. The inclusion of Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride puzzles me, since it’s a thickener, which – at least to my understanding – doesn’t really have any shine absorbing qualities. Probably works for someone who doesn’t have as problematic skin as me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 5:34:00 AM More reviews by artemis16

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product goes a long way to strengthen the overall performance of my make-up.
I have combination skin and make sure I use products that do not encourage oiliness, but this is essential for me, especially in the hot summers when staying matte is a challenge even for my trusted Maybelline Dream Matte.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2012 8:24:00 PM More reviews by nguyening22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

HORRIBLE product. I have oily skin and within about 30 minutes of using this I was oily again! And yes, I used to correctly as directed. Thank goodness I only bought the sample version and didn't blow $20 some dollars. Make up application after using this looked BAD!!! Nothing about the product is good in my opinion. Going to stick with my milk of magnesia regime. :) works WAY WAY better!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2012 12:09:00 AM More reviews by lizzea

Quite outstanding, I tried the milk of magnesia trick but was never totally satisfied with the result.. it was matifying but I felt like I could see the product on my skin (which is not what I wanted!) so I'm glad Paula's Choice has formulated something to address the shine issue.

When I wear this as instructed with no makeup over the top, my skin is kept mattified for half the day which is extraordinary as I have very combination skin (leaning towards very oily on my t-zone) especially in warm weather. When I wear makeup on top though, it only stays matte for 3 hours or so, which is still longer than it would without this on underneath.

It's a great product and would be suitable to spot treat oily areas or for people like me with quite oily skin. I think the performance of it underneath makeup will depend on what foundation you use. If you're using an extra matte foundation it might keep you matte for longer than if you were to use a slightly dewy-finish foundation.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2012 6:10:00 AM More reviews by KerryGold

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Shine Stopper lives up to its name.

If you're fed up with your oily skin, try this. And I MEAN "try" because I think it's one of those things that work for different people in different ways. Read through the reviews and experiment with the different methods mentioned to hit on the one that's right for you.

I don't like to wear this directly before or after applying foundation. Here's what I do:

My preferred weekday/office make-up method is to apply my make-up as usual in the morning, then finish with powder, and around midday when I'd normally blot and powder, I blot and pat Shine Stopper on my T-zone - no powder necessary. This keeps me shine-free for the rest of the working day.

On a foundation-free, minimal make-up day, I apply concealer, mascara and blush, then pat Shine Stopper on my T-zone and top with a bit more blush if necessary. There's no need for foundation or powder. Shine Stopper seems to even out my complexion sufficiently. If you don't need coverage, it's just fabulous.

I find three small blobs - one each on my index, second and middle fingers - the right amount.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2012 4:45:00 AM More reviews by hpunkinway

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I cannot stand powder, yet have oily skin in the warmer parts of the year. This product is fantastic at keeping the oil at bay, and doing nice things for your skin. I highly recommend this, as I do most of Paula's products.

UPDATE: I do not find myself using this product at all. Too much effort for shine when you can just cleanse and blot. Won't buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2012 6:47:00 PM More reviews by judibean

I have been on the search for a mattifying primer for months now, in anticipation of summer. I thought I would settle for Too Faced, which makes my makeup look great in the beginning, but loses its staying power when it comes time to blotting around the afternoon. When I blot, it makes my pores more apparent again. Then I found this little darling! It keeps my face matte for longer and hides the large pores on my nose better. It also does not have the blotting issue I have with Too Faced. As one other reviewer commented, you do need to use a little more of it than with other primers for it to work effectively. The first time I tried it, I didn't, and it didn't work as well in mattifying. Then I took her advice and voila! It is now my HG primer! I love that it has no scent and does not feel like you are putting on another layer of product. I did want to try the Too Faced Pure primer because it is oil-free and supposedly more mattifying than the original, but now I am wondering if I should even bother!