April 24, 2014 | 1905 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Paula's Choice - Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2012 8:24:00 PM More reviews by nguyening22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

HORRIBLE product. I have oily skin and within about 30 minutes of using this I was oily again! And yes, I used to correctly as directed. Thank goodness I only bought the sample version and didn't blow $20 some dollars. Make up application after using this looked BAD!!! Nothing about the product is good in my opinion. Going to stick with my milk of magnesia regime. :) works WAY WAY better!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2012 12:09:00 AM More reviews by lizzea

Quite outstanding, I tried the milk of magnesia trick but was never totally satisfied with the result.. it was matifying but I felt like I could see the product on my skin (which is not what I wanted!) so I'm glad Paula's Choice has formulated something to address the shine issue.

When I wear this as instructed with no makeup over the top, my skin is kept mattified for half the day which is extraordinary as I have very combination skin (leaning towards very oily on my t-zone) especially in warm weather. When I wear makeup on top though, it only stays matte for 3 hours or so, which is still longer than it would without this on underneath.

It's a great product and would be suitable to spot treat oily areas or for people like me with quite oily skin. I think the performance of it underneath makeup will depend on what foundation you use. If you're using an extra matte foundation it might keep you matte for longer than if you were to use a slightly dewy-finish foundation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2012 6:10:00 AM More reviews by KerryGold

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Shine Stopper lives up to its name.

If you're fed up with your oily skin, try this. And I MEAN "try" because I think it's one of those things that work for different people in different ways. Read through the reviews and experiment with the different methods mentioned to hit on the one that's right for you.

I don't like to wear this directly before or after applying foundation. Here's what I do:

My preferred weekday/office make-up method is to apply my make-up as usual in the morning, then finish with powder, and around midday when I'd normally blot and powder, I blot and pat Shine Stopper on my T-zone - no powder necessary. This keeps me shine-free for the rest of the working day.

On a foundation-free, minimal make-up day, I apply concealer, mascara and blush, then pat Shine Stopper on my T-zone and top with a bit more blush if necessary. There's no need for foundation or powder. Shine Stopper seems to even out my complexion sufficiently. If you don't need coverage, it's just fabulous.

I find three small blobs - one each on my index, second and middle fingers - the right amount.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2012 4:45:00 AM More reviews by hpunkinway

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I cannot stand powder, yet have oily skin in the warmer parts of the year. This product is fantastic at keeping the oil at bay, and doing nice things for your skin. I highly recommend this, as I do most of Paula's products.

UPDATE: I do not find myself using this product at all. Too much effort for shine when you can just cleanse and blot. Won't buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2012 6:47:00 PM More reviews by judibean

I have been on the search for a mattifying primer for months now, in anticipation of summer. I thought I would settle for Too Faced, which makes my makeup look great in the beginning, but loses its staying power when it comes time to blotting around the afternoon. When I blot, it makes my pores more apparent again. Then I found this little darling! It keeps my face matte for longer and hides the large pores on my nose better. It also does not have the blotting issue I have with Too Faced. As one other reviewer commented, you do need to use a little more of it than with other primers for it to work effectively. The first time I tried it, I didn't, and it didn't work as well in mattifying. Then I took her advice and voila! It is now my HG primer! I love that it has no scent and does not feel like you are putting on another layer of product. I did want to try the Too Faced Pure primer because it is oil-free and supposedly more mattifying than the original, but now I am wondering if I should even bother!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 4:04:00 PM More reviews by jasroach

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Water, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, PEG-100 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Glyceryl Stearate, Myristyl Myristate, Ceteareth-20, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by julia_s

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is amazing - it has only one shortcoming: it's no better than another product at the tenth of the price. (Can't stand the suspense? Read the next line : )

Performance: Yes, Shine Stopper does an excellent job of keeping your skin matte. I have a super oily t-zone and this primer helps keep me shine-free for about 3 or 4 hours (Your millage may very depending on how oily your skin is, whether you use an ultra-matte foundation too etc.) The only problem? Milk of Magnesia does exactly the same thing without the $17 price tag.

Texture/Finish: Shine Stopper has a surprising texture - it comes out as a very light, fluid lotion that blends super easily on skin before setting to a invisible matte finish on skin. Seriously, once this stuff sets on to skin you'll never find it again. This is its main advantage over MoM - with MoM I find that unless I use an *ultra* thin layer, then blend with a wet sponge, I always get a white, slightly chalky layer on my skin. So if you need to use a primer alone (without foundation on top) I think Shine Stopper would work better than MoM for you.

Packaging: Shine stopper comes in a tube packaging with a small, precise nozzle-tip opening which I find very user friendly (unlike say, L'Oreal's base, which also performs nicely but the jar packaging means product often gets under my nails.)

Overall: I would have given Shine Stopper a 5 AND repurchased if I hadn't been introduced to Milk of Magnesia (by Ms Begoun herself - an irony of Shakespearean proportions). BUT I still give this product a four because it, along with MoM, is the best oil-control primer I've triede PLUS it's invisible on skin. So if you are allergic to MoM, don't like the white finish MoM gives you, or are morally opposed to putting laxative on your face, give Shine Stopper a try - I'm pretty sure most of you with oily skin will love it.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by polarpooch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

i have extremely, insanely oily skin, so i am always realistic about "oil control" products. this one is pretty good. i didn't find it did anything under my makeup, so i tried applying it OVER makeup. that's when i realized its potential for my routine. i get oily about 2-3 hours into the day. when that happens, i blot with papers, then apply a pea sized amount with a sponge in my t-zone. it does keep the oil at bay for about 3-4 hours when i apply it. i usually blot one more time and apply again, and find i can get nearly a whole workday out of two applications (i work 14 hour days). it's much better than pressed powder, because it doesn't cake and cause color disruption. this makes my foundation last longer, too, because the oil is not constantly degrading my makeup. as an added bonus, it smooths over large pores, making them appear smaller. i have tried it all at this point, including "anti-shine" from smashbox. i like this a lot better. it's not a miracle, but it has certainly become an effective tool in my daily routine because it helps make my face look better with makeup. BTW, my 1-2-3 for oil-control makeup is ELDW light (doesn't degrade in the presence of oil), blotting papers (like PC papers or Clean and Clear) and this. it keeps me pretty much shine free all day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2012 7:48:00 PM More reviews by Deandra

Shine Stopper does exactly what it claims - provides a matte finish when applied under makeup, reduces the appearance of pores, and I have noticed that I don't need to apply powder as frequently when using this on my T-zone. I like the tube packaging which is great for travel. My skin is sensitive and this seems to be hypo-allergenic and does not have any fragrance. My skin is combination rather than super oily, and I find this product very helpful. It is supposed to last for about six hours and that seems accurate on my skin - might be less effective if your skin is super oily. I apply under foundation, and I use more than a pea-sized amount, more like 2 peas.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 10:43:00 AM More reviews by connect16

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been holding off this review for a few months since I received the product, but I can confidently say that this is the perfect solution to my oily, oily skin! I have always had an extremely oily t-zone and my nose particularly liked to glisten before noon. I would have droplets of oil on my nose, which exacerbated the size of my pores - really nasty! However, I started using this product (didn't have to use a wet sponge) and my problems were solved! No more oilyness and it lasts up to 8-10 hours. I simply put spots of it in my t-zone and my cheekbones, then rubbed and patted it in. It doesn't look too nice at first since it kinda makes my face look dry right after cleansing, but after a few hours, it starts soaking up the oils and provides a really nice sheen to my skin. No breakouts or irritation (but can sting a little bit if my skin is too dry after cleansing). The one thing I need to point out is that the cap can barely stay on. I would twist and twist but the cap would just keep falling off, so now I have to be very careful it doesn't open while in my drawer, and getting exposed to contaminants. However, I didn't take any stars off since I'm reviewing the formulation, not the packaging. Another great product, Paula + team!