NARS Illuminator in Copacabana

on 11/7/2013 5:53:00 AM

I can't resist pink shiny things. I have a pale, ashy complexion, so I love products that add dimension and luminosity. They make me look healthier. NARS Illuminator in Copacabana is no exception. It's a very pale pinky-neutral, with a fine pearlescent shimmer that adds light to your face without adding glitter.

You do need a light touch - if you use too much, it looks metallic. But I disagree with people who say it adds full-on disco ball bling. It's subtle enough to wear during the day. I use it on the browbone, cheekbones and inner corners of the eye.

Unfortunately, the formula really doesn't work for me. I find it nearly impossible to blend, so wherever you put it on your face first, it's going to stay there, and you need to work very quickly.

I use Cetaphil moisturizer and Estee Lauder Double Wear (original formula) in Shell. These products together make a great base for makeup - whatever you put on top of them will not budge. But for some reason the finish is slightly dewy and "tacky" so it does make it tricky to blend other products over the top, and some are trickier than others. I mention this because I can't totally blame NARS for my lack of success with this product: if I used an oilier moisturizer and foundation it might be somewhat easier to blend the illuminator over the top (however, I have tried this and still find it challenging).

The consistency is almost like nail polish, and if you can imagine trying to blend that into your cheeks, you'll have an idea of where I'm coming from. I've also noticed that if I blend TOO much, it tends to take off whatever makeup is underneath. For example, if I put some on a clean finger and blend it into the corner of my eye, the concealer that is already there actually comes off, and you end up with a patchy area of illuminator/concealer/bare skin. Using in on the eyelids, for this reason, is out of the question.

I dotted a tiny amount in a vertical stripe down my nose today after contouring, and when I tried to (gently!) blend, I somehow rubbed much of the product off, so the result was patchy. Again, this might have more to do with my skin and my prep than the actual product.

I've tried squeezing a bit of the product on to my wrist, swirling a stippling brush in it and then tapping the product on to my cheeks, and that seems to work better than anything else, but it's a bit of a fussy process, and I feel like I'm wasting the product.

I'll keep using this, because I still love the colour and the amount of shimmer, but I won't repurchase. I might try The Multiple in Copacabana next time, or Benefit High Beam. If anyone knows of a powder highlighter similar to this in colour/effect, let me know, as I find those easier to work with. I've tried BB shimmer bricks, but I find the glitter too chunky.

on 10/31/2013 8:24:00 AM

Highlights my cheeks without being too shimmery

I have this in copacobana & its the perfect brightening shade.
A little too full on for day time though ( I may treat myself to the orgasm one as well!)
In the evening I put a little dab on the top of my cheeks & it looks amazing.
It goes on well with a smooth coverage & doesnt clog & stays put nicely. A little goes a long way.
Just brilliant.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Unsure how to rate this. I think it's a good highlighter for night time, especially if your going to a party etc, but it is just to full on for day time use. It doesn't give a natural glowy look like i prefer, and even if you only use a tiny bit your face can look like a disco ball. For the price it is definitely not worth only using for 'special occasions', I prefer a good all round highlighter like my mary lou manizer.
3.5 stars

on 10/15/2013 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is pretty good. Just a bit too sparkly with a silvery sheen. Very expensive. I prefer more skin-toned highlighters if they are liquid. This works pretty well though.

on 9/28/2013 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think this product is fantastic! I've used so many highlighters including the popular high beam, becca skin perfector, etc and still this NARS one cannot be beat. I've also tried the NARS multiple and do not prefer them at all. The Laguna shade in this illuminator is also great but has more glitter, while the copacabana one is just the perfect dewy, sheen. I wear this everyday under foundation and have worn it for two years now. I have a back up bottle waiting for when I finish my current one, but it takes forever to finish a bottle which is great.

on 9/13/2013 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Yay, I'm super happy I found this stuff. I'm pretty fair-skinned with pinkish undertones and this suits my skin perfectly without looking too glittery or artificial. It just lends a really subtle, fresh, dewy look to my skin. I rated it full marks for the price because although it's expensive, you really only need to use a teeny tiny bit at a time so it should last a really long time.

on 8/26/2013 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

I absolutely adore this product. It is the most gorgeous illuminator on the market. I will wear this everyday, even if I am going sans make up, just to give myself a refreshing dewy look. This is my go-to product to make my face look fresh and awake. It makes my skin feel extremely soft and my pores don't stand out (even though I have a lot of pores!) A little gem that belongs in every woman's make up bag!

on 7/12/2013 6:59:00 AM

I was´nt shure if I should buy the multiple or the illuminator in Copacabana, but I went with the illuminator because it had the most shimmer and blended so nicely in to the skin. It is a cool toned highlighting cream, that looks nice on fair skin, and a definite summer-product. I wish I could get more use of it, but I find the powder highlighters to be easier and reach more for them.

on 5/14/2013 8:38:00 PM

Love this stuff! Easy to use and a little goes a long way.

on 3/20/2013 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I really enjoy using this illuminator. However, the only thing that I am not too crazy about is that it does not come full in the bottle but a litte on your finger goes a long way. It really makes your face glow!

Top Rated NARS Products