November 1, 2014 | 1020 users online

Self Tanners - L'Oreal - Sublime Bronze Clear Self-Tanning Gel

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2011 6:32:00 PM More reviews by NatBeans

I am always looking for a new self tanner and I was hoping for this clear gel formula to be mess fee. Boy, was I wrong. I applied it before I went to bed on my legs and arms, making sure to stay still for a good 5 minutes and to wash it off my hands. When I woke up I not only had terrible spots on my ankles and wrists but streaks on my thighs and upper arms. I continued to use it for about a week hoping for the color to even out, it did not. The color continued to go on streaky and with a terrible orange base tint to it. The tanner also began to flake off around my inner elbows. I had to go ahead and buff al of it off, for me Jergins and Neutrogena worked MUCH better. I will not be repurchasing.

UPDATE:
I gave this product a second chance hoping to use a product I already had instead of buying something new after I ran out of Jergins. Let's just say I wish I had thrown this away. I applied the gel with the upmost care taking almost 20 minutes to cover my legs and arms, I sprayed they gel onto my body and rubbed it in with a wash cloth. 7 hours later I loved the way my tan looked, I was significantly darker and it looked natural. But I woke up to a HORROR, My tan had gotten even darker and so so streaky. Patches of my skin were white patches were orange; I had to spend over an hour exfoliating my skin. Save yourself the trouble and STAY AWAY

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2011 11:03:00 AM More reviews by Jennifckerrr

Fast results, nice bronze, but also fades within 2 days. I loved it when I first bough this product, but never used it again once it faded and left my entire body blotchy.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2011 10:26:00 PM More reviews by missbubbly

So I've been trying self tanners for a while and so far there are very few out there that I like. I saw the L'Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Clear Self-Tanning Gel (Medium Natural) at my local CVS and bought it to give it a try. I absolutely love it. It gives you that really dark color within a few hours and if you do it right you wont have streaks. I always shower first and exfoliate with a really good exfoliator before application. (If you cant find one that has a sandy texture I have made my own with a touch of sand with body wash and it works just as good.) You must let your self dry completely before applying it in order for it to absorb evenly. It also drys super fast so you have to work fast. I am defiantly going to buy this one again and I hope that this helps with your experience.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2011 7:19:00 AM More reviews by tastest

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Another FAIL for L'Oreal. There are cheaper and FAR better sun tanners out them. Read these reviews and buy them, not this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2011 11:47:00 AM More reviews by fitmom2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok...I actually have been dissapointed in most self tanners these days--given that the "gradual" self tanners take too long for color to get dark. (I'm old school, where I miss the older self tanners where the color comes out DARK with just one application--and most these days do not turn out that way anymore).

I bought this yesterday at Walgreens (was a bit pricey at $10.99), but I used the gel spray on both arms, and a few hours later, I got a nice DARK bronze tan color!!

Now I understand that most hate that "orangy look"...however, there is hardly any self tanners that give you that "absolute REAL 'brown' color anyways.) In order to be as dark as you want (fake wise), then there has to be that old school orange-ish color. I actually like it..lol...but on the otherhand, I have been using self tanner for over 12 years and I know how to apply it to make it look real anyhow. I'm olive skin, but very pale if I don't tan (and I refuse to because it damages your skin and causes early aging).

I like that this one actually gives you a dark color in just 1 application. The other sublime tanners are fine, but I would have to annoyingly use 2-3 times just to get as dark as I need (and I want to look dark). The best ones ever made was the original Nuetragena ones (made back in the late 1990's), as well as the most famous and most missed "Savage Bronze"..that one gave a nice brown-fake tan--FAST, and yes, it still had a tad bit "orangy" look..but I never mind since a slight orange gives you that bronzy look.

Anyhow, I do know that yes, because it drys a bit fast, you must work fast using this. I don't believe in mixing any self tanners with lotions or other moisterizers--since that only makes the absorbtion less, since you are watering it the self tanner DOWN (hence, why I don't care for the color guard self tanners since most just deliver the nice "color guide" but NO REAL "self tan" look once you wash in the shower the next morning (such as Fake Bake--which gives a LOVELY brown guide--yet NO tan shows up once you wash it off). This is why I prefer self tanners with NO color guide (with the exception of very few like the OLD "Bananna Boat in DEEP DARK, and Savage Bronze). Other than that, both my arms came out non-splotchy, and very evenly, and gave me (finally), that rich self tanner look.

I'm stocking up on this one. Hopefully Walmart will carry it too soon since it will surely be under $10.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2011 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Akear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't write many reviews but I just got back from returning this to CVS and felt compelled to warn against it.

I like gel-type self tanners for the drying time and this one said it was "gradual" so I assumed it would be fairly light. I find the buildable self tanners best for me because I am super pale and they are more forgivable.

Anyway, this went on seemingly fine although it is clear so you have to be careful. I did a very light application and at first the smell was great. I have become fairly immune to self tanner smells but this one woke me up in the night and was so, so bad I am going to have to wash my sheets to get it off them.

I could have forgiven that had I not also woken up orange and splotchy. I was late to work due to the long time spent trying to exfoliate in the shower. It was not gradual for me at ALL.

I applied as I normally do on exfoliated skin free of lotion using latex gloves and then I walked around in the buff until it dried and wore loose clothing after. In fact, in spite of this supposedly being a fast drying gel it felt quite sticky for way longer than my Jergens foam or my Sephora spray which I will go back to now.

Anyway, I was happy I could return it and this was the last time (unless they have some sort of breakthrough) that I attempt a Loreal self tanner. I am sure they work great for some people but I've just had too many bad experiences. I was hoping something new would change that but not so.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

This review is for the new spray gel. I like the old sublime gel that comes in a tube but did not love the dry time so I figured I would love the ease of a new spray quick drying gel. The idea is good, but this product needs some work. First off, it was difficult to apply. The pump sometimes didn't work that great due to the thickness of the product and it was really hard to get my back cause the bottle does not spray when upside down. I tried spraying it in my palm and then reaching around to apply it that way but it dries so quick that did not work very well either. I liked the quick dry time but that was all I liked. The next day I woke up and looked more orange than I usually do after sunless tanning. Very unnatural. This product also dried streaky which is no surprise cause the product dried so fast it was hard to get it all rubbed in. It also dried out my skin and seemed to be sucked up by dry areas of my body quicker than other formulas which made me look uneven and orange. Oh yeah, and the fragrance is awful. It smells like some kind of men's cologne from the 70's. I actually would prefer the regular sunless tanner stink over the stench. This brand has been reformulating its old products which I liked with newer quick drying formulas but the result is worse color and streakiness.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No