OPI Natural Nail Strengthener

3.4

on 8/10/2010 3:23:00 AM

My aunt is a make up artist and last year she recommended that I use this nail strengthener as a base coat instead of an actual 'base coat'. I've never been too bothered with my nails - never had anything like acrylics done - and I only get a manicure from time to time. Putting colour on my nails is just a way to pass the time and express myself. So this was a good money saver since I didn't have to worry myself about my nails getting brittle from the overuse of nail polish or whether my polish will go on evenly or not. From the looks of it some people don't think it worked for them. I, for one, never really had very brittle nails but I did feel them get slightly stronger. It also provides a perfect fine base coat for me (since I don't have any hugely distinct grooves in my nails) to apply polish evenly on... so all in all I think it's a great product for me as a student to cheap out on buying one product instead of two.

on 6/21/2010 7:45:00 PM

First, this is neither a base coat nor a top coat, so discard any notions of that immediately.

That said, it's a wonderful nail strengthener - when you can get it to stay on. This peels off faster than a prom dress, particularly on the ends, which is exactly where I need protection from chipping and peeling nails.

on 3/18/2010 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I have been under the impression that OPI is supposed to be a quality nail polish brand, but this stuff starts to chip within a day. I suppose it is not advertised as a topcoat, so maybe that is why, but I think this stuff is fairly pricey for a nail treatment (I got mine free from one of ULTA's gift things for members a long time ago). I can't really say how it does as a strengthener either, because I would have to apply it every day for it to stay on long enough to do anything. I still gave it a three, though, because it does dry super fast.

This is such a great product. It acts as a nail strengthener AND a base coat. I like to wear this by it self when I'm not wearing other nail polishes to have really shinny nails. I also noticed that it really does strengthen my nails. I have really soft nails by nature and my nail can break by simply opening the door. After using this for a while, I noticed that my nails havent broke in a long time. Definitely a good nail strengthener.

As a base coat, it also works very well. Remember to let it dry completely before applying other nail polishes though, or it will clump. As a base coat, it makes other polishes super easy to apply and it also boosts the staying power.

This is one of my favorite nail treatments and I will definitely continue purchasing this. Overall an amazing product and I definitely recommend everyone checking this out.

on 3/15/2009 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I tried OPI's Natural Nail Strengthener today as a base coat. I noticed that my HG Sally Hansen Nail Quencher Hydrating Base Coat was getting gloopy after one hand so I did one hand with SH and the other with OPI. I will NEVER use this OPI Strengthener again. It went on well as a base coat but what a ROYAL MESS it made of the polish application compared to the polish over the SH base coated hand. The polish (another OPI product) went on smoothly over the SH and was a streaky mess over the OPI Strengthener. I suppose this would be ok as a base coat as long as you don't want to do your nails with color over it. Definitely thumbs way down on this one.

I'm actually surprised this product got as good of reviews as it did. I usually don't review a product unless I am absolutely blown away or I absolutely hate something. I believe this is the first product I've reviewed that I've absolutely hated. I bought this at Target as I was out of Nail Envy and needed something in a pinch. This stuff lasts one day on me and usually either peels off down toward the cuticle or on the tips of my nails. Unless I apply this every day my nails have no protection and they bend, break, or crack. And even on the days that I apply this, my nails are very flexible and look like they could break. The problem is I usually have pretty healthy nails otherwise that grow out pretty long! I've used it a few times thinking by some miracle it would get better but I finally just threw it out today. My nails have suffered enough!

on 8/28/2008 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I hereby announce OPI Natural Nail Strengthener as The Best (very best) Nail Strengthener Ever! My nails have suddenly started to sprout happily like never before, and they are so strong. A big change for my nails who have always been on the weaker side! HG!!

on 2/2/2008 9:46:00 PM

I love this stuff! I use it only as a nail strengthener, not a basecoat, ridge filler, or topcoat. I believe that was the original intent of the product. I get good, solid lasting natural looking nails from this product. I apply 2 coats to clean nails, then a coat every other day. I remove it all at the end of the week and start again. My weak, thin nails now feel like iron! It leaves a soft, subtle sheen on the nails. I think this is a wonderful product that does exactly as it's advertised to do. Amazingly, my nails just don't break or chip anymore. I recommend this very highly.

on 11/9/2006 1:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

This will actually strenghten your nails! I always had weak nails that chip or break before they could grow very long but since I've begun using this stuff my nails are super strong and they are growing better than they ever have before. It's fun to have long nails for once! I pretty much always have this on my nails.. I use it as a base coat under my polish (just give it enough time to fully dry) and on my nails as clear polish (looks really good, doesn't chip). Buy this product if you are looking to strengthen your nails!! It works!!

on 7/19/2006 9:37:00 PM

No, this doesn't work for me and I've used it several ways - as a base coat, as a clear nailpolish, and tried to lay off the nailpolish remover. My nails peel worse than before. Definitely does not work for me, I ended up tossing this one in the trash.

Popular Treatments