July 29, 2014 | 1933 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Perfect Refining Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2014 1:07:00 AM More reviews by redyarn11

I am a devoted Shiseido user for more than 15 years and this product is so disappointing. I bought this online together with the Camellia Blush (another disappointment) as it was an online exclusive.

The consistency of the liquid is quite thin, which is nice, but then when I apply, it settles into pores, there are some bits of what looks like chalk on my skin. I end up with this white chalky appearance with some bits of micro chalk in small places like side of my nose and the space between my nose and eyes. It's very bad and if not for the price, I will toss this. I used it together with the pore-refining primer for the sample and translucent powder to sell andit gave me the same results.

I will stick to pressed powder and powder foundation for this brand.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by chelseajean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Absolutely LOVE this foundation- hands down my new holy grail.
This foundation easily gives me a beautiful full coverage skin-like finish without being dewy and without being over matte, even when set with powder!
I discovered this product on a whim after running out of my Estee' Lauder Double wear and I don't think I will ever go back!

For best application I find using my fingers and applying the product from the centre of my face and use the excess of the edges, then using a powder puff, pat some translucent powder onto top!

I work with beauty retail and I have worn this for 12+ hours and have had no issues with caking or breaking down

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 8:18:00 AM More reviews by freshsourmilk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First review and this review is just, as I've been using this for well over a year. It really puts MUFE HD Foundation to shame. The colour just wears so perfectly, fits even better than Bobbi Brown's. I am using O20 (Neutral), for reference I am Estee Lauder's Double Wear Foundation Cool Sand, Lancome's 2, MUFE HD Foundation 118, never tried MAC.

I've been using this since I got them in Oct 2011 and never looked any other way until I got fairer towards end of 2012 and it didn't quite match as well. And I bought MUFE HD Foundation, but after some sun at the beach I bounced right back onto this one and again it wears as perfect as a girl feeling pretty as can be. MUFE HD Foundation just looks so flat n lifeless in comparison.

Coupled with Shiseido Perfect Refining Foundation Brush and the Shiseido method the application is flawless. Adequately covers redness and blemishes, dark circles also look natural. However I would not suggest building up the coverage as from experience it would start looking thick, just leave it after one layer.

Only two things to note, as some reviews below stated it wouldn't adhere as well 4-5hrs in. For me it's even less maybe 2-3hrs. It's as if a layer of powder is sitting on top of my skin, it gets obvious I have foundation on. But that's normal cause I live in a humid and tropical country and I have all over oily skin and large pores. 2-3hrs in within expectation, I blot it and the foundation would come to a matte and light coverage finish.

Secondly, because it comes to a semi-matte finish, if you would like to have it more radiant as I do, I use Kanebo Lunasol Watery Makeup Base for primer for it's light reflecting superpower. OMG, the result is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. I think I've achieved my perfect look.

Price is really reasonable to me, as all foundation comes in 30ml, but definitely cheaper than Bobbi Brown, MUFE and Chanel. Also bear in mind that Shiseido doesn't specifically have a range to target oily skin, it's just that out of the whole range this would be most suitable for oily skin.

Hope this helps to manage your expectation and better your selections. It's like a successful marriage, a year+ later I am still as excited as the day I met this.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2013 3:32:00 PM More reviews by crashedandburn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

If I could give this a 2.5 star, I would. I had hoped this would be a great foundation for me, but I was severely disappointed.

PROS:
- Lovely colour selection, really wide range that caters to all different skin tones. I found a literal perfect match for my skin! Makes blending such a breeze, I don't have to worry about any awkward lines around my face and neck
- Almost flawless finish, very easy to blend using my Real Techniques face brush. I have some trouble around my forehead and the area between my mouth and nose, but not too much. Once blended in, it almost looks undetectable, and I love how it looks so natural!
- I love the texture, quite watery, nice and light, with just the right amount of coverage (medium). It's great for covering acne scars, little blemishes and pores, and especially redness, of which I am very prone to. It really evens out my skin tone very well! However, I find it gives very little coverage for bigger blemishes or bumps, but a little concealer can easily remedy that.

CONS:
- Begins to crumble after 4-5 hours. Looks so unsightly and it basically screams 'LOOK I've got a face full of (not very good) foundation on! NOTICE ME!' I do have extremely oily skin, but I am baffled because I didn't experience this with my other foundations or TMs, like my Revlon Nearly Naked (which isn't even targeted at oily skin), unlike this foundation. I would understand if it crumbled at the end of the day, but that's not exactly what I want to see in the mirror in the middle of my lunch hour. I find this is working better and better as we go into the drier winter months though.
- The price, and the amount. Sure, it's pretty much around the same price range as other high end foundations, but you get so little in comparison. The bottle really is tiny, and the amount you use everyday is an average amount, I don't find this to be one of those foundations where a little goes a long way.

I found this to be quite an average foundation, it didn't suit my skin type, but I could see this working well for others. It's not the worst foundation I've tried, and I think it would probably suit normal to combination/slightly oily skin. It's got a great colour range too, so go check it out if you've always had difficulty finding the right shade for foundation!
I like this enough to continue using it until it finishes , but I will not be repurchasing. Cons heavily outweigh the pros, and it's not worth the money you pay for this.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by raspberry0beret

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Despite having tried what feels like every foundation/brand under the sun, I have never written a review before. This is because I always have negative things to say. I had come to the conclusion it was my fault...I thought my skin was obviously just a strange colour and texture, unhelpable. Therefor I didnt want to deter someone from something that might work for them.
I am early 20's, fair skinned, quite sensitive, combination, occasional pimples. overall...I would say quite nice skin - all I really look for from a foundation is a natural looking even skin tone that takes my skin from good, to lovely. Nothing miraculous. I seemed to create problems for myself with many foundations, Clarins in particular left me with horrid deep pore spots. Chanel dries me out. Dior needs constant touch ups and don't have a good shade for me. Sisley is not worth the hefty prices. I could go on...!

Anyway, this product is amazing. Really. It feels so light and thin but on application gives a really good coverage - not too heavy or thick, yet it covers bags and scars. It has a really nice finish as well - not dry and tight but a little matte. And this lasts....I get a really greasy nose and T-zone which usually requires a touch up after a few hours...not with this foundation, it really does last all day. Most importantly for me, it feels nice on my face...I don't feel hidden and smothered in make up and it doesn't clog pores.
The packaging is teenny tiny and so light - no heavy, over the top glass bottle here!
In my opinion the price is very reasonable, it's a higher end foundation so yes, if your used to drugstore ones it will seem expensive - HOWEVER, with this foundation a little goes a long way, plus I don't need powder or concealer so that's a fair saving!
Unless you have very very dry skin, I would recommend this foundation to everyone.! Im so pleased with it, THANKYOU Shiseido...my hero.!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 1:18:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

Almost there, but not quite. Great medium coverage, very lightweight on the skin, perfect portable packaging, lasts a full 8 hours. It’s texture is almost water-like, very similar to Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua but with much better coverage. The downside? Accentuates pores and slightly too matte finish, a bit drying on my combination skin, so my complexion looked flat . It came so close to being HG! I am a NC30/C4 light tan Asian gal and purchased in O60, my perfect match in all Shiseido bases. I definitely would recommend at least a sample for oily skin gals and girls because the lasting power and coverage is great. Personally though, me and my dry cheeks will be sadly returning this foundation.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2013 8:48:00 AM More reviews by crunkbabee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So obviously the price of this product is not in the ideal range. It is expansive although a tiny amount of this goes a long way. I tried this foundation mainly because I heard it was non-comedogenic and I was suffering from bumps on my forehead. I have to say I adore this product as it is highly pigmented (pretty much really good to cover obvious scars or redness on your skin without a doubt) but I hate it as it highlight all the little bumps that I have and uneven skin tone.

It is a product to have if your skin only suffers from redness or pure scars. It does not illuminate my skin in any way and I felt like it didn't do anything for me. I wish I can recover my money back but oh well.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by cazl

Sheiseido is clearly an excellent and quality brand. So I had high expectations upon purchasing this foundation. I had a sample of it from Macy's and was using it at home and absolutely loved it.
I have oily skin, and I was looking for a foundation that would reduce the shine. I had been using La Mer tinted foundation in Light 02, but unfortunately, it was discontinued. This product works just as well as La Mer for me.

I use 40 in ochre, because I am Chinese and have a yellow hue.

I use the La Mer foundation brush to apply the Shiseido. It has medium to full coverage, and I use it over Stila One Step Correct underneath.

I highly recommend using a primer with any foundation. Use ones like Stila because it doesn't feel like you're caking makeup on. I don't feel the urgency to wash off my face at the end of the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by mauveboudoir

I have combination oily skin and this works like a dream. Matte finish but it gets better as my face starts to produce natural oils. It just has a dewy finish. Blends nicely. I believe its 15 hour claim as I have used it many times from 630am-9pm and it just has this great finish and glow till the end (I do use a Neutrogena sunblock moisturizing cream as a base as well)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Highestcloud

Shiseido Perfect Refining Foundation gives me a 'perfect' coverage. But I found the foundation a bit dry for my combination skin, so I tend to use it with a thicker layer of day cream or just maximum once a week. It's a good foundation but it does dry out very quickly when you try to blend it with your skin. The packaging is a black plastic 30ml bottle. Its convenient and very sophisticated. Overall I love Shiseido products, but I do not recommend this for people with dry skin.