Shiseido Perfect Refining Foundation

3.7

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 1.9%; Titanium Dioxide 4.1%; Inactive Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Nylon-12, SD Alcohol 40-B, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Glycerin, Iron oxides (CI 77492), Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Iron oxides (CI 77491), Polyglyceryl-2 diisostearate, Xylitol, Erythritol, Sodium Glutamate, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum hydraoxide, Aluminum distearate, Alumina, Disteardimonium hectorite, Iron oxides (CI 77499), Triethoxycaprylylsilane, PEG/PPG-36/41 Dimethyl Ether, Polysilicone-2, Vinyl dimethicone/methicone silsesquioxane crosspolymer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Butylene glycol, Tocopherol, Zinc oxide (CI 77947), Mica, Dipentaerythrityl hexahydroxystearate, Barium sulfate, Sodium metabisculfite, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Paeonia Albiflora Root Extract, BHT, Methicone, Dimethicone/methicone Copolymer, Tetradecene, Benzoic acid

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This product!! I absolutely love it!!

I apply this with my beauty blender.... It has great coverage, it's light and works well with the Shiseido primer as well.

Only thing, it doesn't last all day. I need to reapply it on blemishes and scars...

I have acne prone skin, I feel as if this is helping my acne, and my face can breathe :)

The bottle is very small, not sure how long it last. But overall it's great!! I need to invest in the translucent powder also =] xox

on 5/7/2014 7:56:00 AM

This is a good foundation, light and velvetly. It doesn't look cakey on my face, but somedays I see some flakes. It's quite matt for my taste, so I mix it with a shimmer loose powder. I won't buy it again, because I' ve tried Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15, which is much better.

on 4/27/2014 7:34:00 AM

im asian and i use 040 natural fair orche.

pro's
good coverage med - full
not oily
only need a little bit to use

con's
a bit orange tint
small bottle

overall i would buy this again but i would like to try other foundations out there

on 3/24/2014 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

i dont know if i would buy this product again but it's not bad. i normally apply it with my bb cream but it doesnt cover my pores on my noses and it makes my skin quite dry as you can see my skin peeling. but overall, the colour is great especially for yellow undertones.

on 3/10/2014 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

This is a great foundation, it is one of my top 5's for sure. The good thing about this foundation is its very thin liquidy yet its coverage is amazing! I have a lot of scarring on my face and discoloration along with some blemishes and a tiny amount of this foundation goes a long way. This is my go to foundation in the summer because it is very light and i almost feel as if theres nothing on my face.

some pros:
-It doesnt look cakey on your face
-no breakouts or skin irritation
-amazing buildable coverage
-easy to apply

cons:
-very selective color selection unfortunantley hard to find the perfect shade for your skin tone
-pricey...but well worth it!

all in all great product and i recommend it to anyone that likes light yet great coverage foundation!

on 3/10/2014 3:00:00 PM

I loved this fountadion to bits! This was my first ''real'' foundation, I've only ever bought cheap drustore makeup. It cost me 440 kroner, which I think is quite pricy (Compared to my usual foundations, at least), but it was totally worth it!

My skin type is combined, very oily in the T-zone and the rest is flaky and dry. I have used a cheap BB cream on my flaky parts (which is the majority of my face) and the Shiseido fountation on the T-zone. It gave a natural finish and stayed matte all day long even without powder.

Pros:
Stays all day
Covers very well
Is antiseptic
Does not make skin oily

Cons:
Costs a bit more than I am willing to spend on my face :)

on 2/4/2014 1:07:00 AM

I am a devoted Shiseido user for more than 15 years and this product is so disappointing. I bought this online together with the Camellia Blush (another disappointment) as it was an online exclusive.

The consistency of the liquid is quite thin, which is nice, but then when I apply, it settles into pores, there are some bits of what looks like chalk on my skin. I end up with this white chalky appearance with some bits of micro chalk in small places like side of my nose and the space between my nose and eyes. It's very bad and if not for the price, I will toss this. I used it together with the pore-refining primer for the sample and translucent powder to sell andit gave me the same results.

I will stick to pressed powder and powder foundation for this brand.

on 2/2/2014 12:44:00 AM

Absolutely LOVE this foundation- hands down my new holy grail.
This foundation easily gives me a beautiful full coverage skin-like finish without being dewy and without being over matte, even when set with powder!
I discovered this product on a whim after running out of my Estee' Lauder Double wear and I don't think I will ever go back!

For best application I find using my fingers and applying the product from the centre of my face and use the excess of the edges, then using a powder puff, pat some translucent powder onto top!

I work with beauty retail and I have worn this for 12+ hours and have had no issues with caking or breaking down

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

First review and this review is just, as I've been using this for well over a year. It really puts MUFE HD Foundation to shame. The colour just wears so perfectly, fits even better than Bobbi Brown's. I am using O20 (Neutral), for reference I am Estee Lauder's Double Wear Foundation Cool Sand, Lancome's 2, MUFE HD Foundation 118, never tried MAC.

I've been using this since I got them in Oct 2011 and never looked any other way until I got fairer towards end of 2012 and it didn't quite match as well. And I bought MUFE HD Foundation, but after some sun at the beach I bounced right back onto this one and again it wears as perfect as a girl feeling pretty as can be. MUFE HD Foundation just looks so flat n lifeless in comparison.

Coupled with Shiseido Perfect Refining Foundation Brush and the Shiseido method the application is flawless. Adequately covers redness and blemishes, dark circles also look natural. However I would not suggest building up the coverage as from experience it would start looking thick, just leave it after one layer.

Only two things to note, as some reviews below stated it wouldn't adhere as well 4-5hrs in. For me it's even less maybe 2-3hrs. It's as if a layer of powder is sitting on top of my skin, it gets obvious I have foundation on. But that's normal cause I live in a humid and tropical country and I have all over oily skin and large pores. 2-3hrs in within expectation, I blot it and the foundation would come to a matte and light coverage finish.

Secondly, because it comes to a semi-matte finish, if you would like to have it more radiant as I do, I use Kanebo Lunasol Watery Makeup Base for primer for it's light reflecting superpower. OMG, the result is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. I think I've achieved my perfect look.

Price is really reasonable to me, as all foundation comes in 30ml, but definitely cheaper than Bobbi Brown, MUFE and Chanel. Also bear in mind that Shiseido doesn't specifically have a range to target oily skin, it's just that out of the whole range this would be most suitable for oily skin.

Hope this helps to manage your expectation and better your selections. It's like a successful marriage, a year+ later I am still as excited as the day I met this.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

If I could give this a 2.5 star, I would. I had hoped this would be a great foundation for me, but I was severely disappointed.

PROS:
- Lovely colour selection, really wide range that caters to all different skin tones. I found a literal perfect match for my skin! Makes blending such a breeze, I don't have to worry about any awkward lines around my face and neck
- Almost flawless finish, very easy to blend using my Real Techniques face brush. I have some trouble around my forehead and the area between my mouth and nose, but not too much. Once blended in, it almost looks undetectable, and I love how it looks so natural!
- I love the texture, quite watery, nice and light, with just the right amount of coverage (medium). It's great for covering acne scars, little blemishes and pores, and especially redness, of which I am very prone to. It really evens out my skin tone very well! However, I find it gives very little coverage for bigger blemishes or bumps, but a little concealer can easily remedy that.

CONS:
- Begins to crumble after 4-5 hours. Looks so unsightly and it basically screams 'LOOK I've got a face full of (not very good) foundation on! NOTICE ME!' I do have extremely oily skin, but I am baffled because I didn't experience this with my other foundations or TMs, like my Revlon Nearly Naked (which isn't even targeted at oily skin), unlike this foundation. I would understand if it crumbled at the end of the day, but that's not exactly what I want to see in the mirror in the middle of my lunch hour. I find this is working better and better as we go into the drier winter months though.
- The price, and the amount. Sure, it's pretty much around the same price range as other high end foundations, but you get so little in comparison. The bottle really is tiny, and the amount you use everyday is an average amount, I don't find this to be one of those foundations where a little goes a long way.

I found this to be quite an average foundation, it didn't suit my skin type, but I could see this working well for others. It's not the worst foundation I've tried, and I think it would probably suit normal to combination/slightly oily skin. It's got a great colour range too, so go check it out if you've always had difficulty finding the right shade for foundation!
I like this enough to continue using it until it finishes , but I will not be repurchasing. Cons heavily outweigh the pros, and it's not worth the money you pay for this.