November 24, 2014 | 1529 users online

Hair Styling Tools - GHD - Gold Classic styler

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 5:49:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a bit torn on the GHD Gold Flat iron. After a few bad experiences with other irons, I decided to go for "the best," despite the price tag. Although I did buy this one Folica on a great promo, and it only cost me about $125, which I think is a steal (note that I'm in Canada, but I had it shipped to my brother in the US. Folica ships with UPS, which means you will get hit with duties AND brokerage fees, without question). First impressions - the design of the iron is really nice. It's very light, but doesn't feel cheap at all. The plastic is high quality and very well made. The on-off button is on the inside, so you can't accidentally turn it off while in use. It's a slider with the GHD logo lit up. It flashes while warming up, and stays lit when hot. It heats up super super fast - even before I'm done sectioning my hair, and then it beeps to let you know it's ready. Styling with it is easy, and it makes nice curls. However, the plates aren't "floating" and they do snag my hair a bit, which is my biggest pet peeve. It doesn't snag as bad as my Babyliss Argan Heat, or the cheapo Conair I used once, but I can still "hear" my hair passing though, if you know what I mean. It's just not completely smooth. As everyone else has mentioned, it does NOT have temperature control. At this price, GHD should just suck it up and give us what we want, instead of smugly insisting that they know what the best temperature is. I have the Scarlet edition, which comes with a case and heat mat too. Personally, I don't like these - they are both too tacky and bulky, which defeats the purpose for travel. The satin is not exactly the best thing to have facing down on your counter in the bathroom. I would've preferred a really thin, flexible, sleek case or mat. It also comes with a guard that slides onto the end of the iron, to keep the plates together for travel or storage. Again, it's way too bulky, and not well designed. As you pick up the iron to move it, you squeeze the plates together, which causes the guard to fall off. My previous iron, a Toni & Guy, had an awesome feature, a little slider that would lock the plates together. Why don't all irons have this? At the time I took it for granted. Overall, I'm happy with the high quality and the performance of the GHD, but I think it could use improvement in the fit of the plates, the accessories, and temperature control.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/26/2012 4:44:00 AM More reviews by Princessmimi123

This GHD is TERRIBLE.
When straightening my hair, it takes ages to get a "Straight" hair (Not even pin straight), and i don't even have curly hair, i have wavy hair.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS TERRIBLE STRAIGHTENER!

I also bought it from their official website, so it's the real GHD.

A total loss of the hardly earned $270.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 3:26:00 PM More reviews by tereserocha

Gold Professional styler 1" (Scarlet Limited Edition)

I have thick, wavy, dry, frizzy and color-treated Asian hair that is 23 inches from the nape. I am always looking for the best flat iron and, ladies and gentlemen, I think I've found it!

PROS
-Heats up in 14 seconds BUT it takes at least a minute to get really hot.
-VERY LIGHT! Probably half the weight of my Sedu Revolution flat iron.
-The thin and curved design enables versatility to create a straight or curly or mixed look
-Because itís thin, the GHD makes it easier to reach and vertically straighten the tight areas like those annoying cowlicks around the forehead and hair above the ears. This GHD feature is something my Sedu and Solia cannot do well.
-My hair stays straight and absolutely frizz free and shiny for a whole 3 days!
-The plates glide sooooo effortlessly, better than any other flat iron Iíve owned: Conair (ugh!), Revlon (worthless), Remington (okay), Babyliss (okay), Chi (ugh!), Solia (really good), Sedu Revolution (comparable to GHD, but heavier and bulkier).
-It claims to adjust the heat according to our hair type (somehow). I donít believe that at all. I do believe the operating temperature for GHD is between 347-365 F so it does not require as much heat to straighten my hair, whereas I need about 400F for my Solia and Sedu.
-2-3 medium-paced passes are all I need to sufficiently straighten my ridiculously long and thick hair
-GHDs make good curls without dents if done correctly, but curls with any flat irons are not as precise as I want them to be compared to clip or clipless curling irons.
-No snagging at all
-Easy to clean and doesnít stain
-Plates donít bleed colors
- Universal adapter that tells you whether itís safe to use the flat iron without blowing the appliance and your wallet.
-Dropped it once from 4 feet (by accident!) and it still works perfectly (Thank God!)
-Came with iron guard, hot red heat resistant case and 2 clips

CONS
-EXPENSIVE!!!! Even with my discount code + promotion, I eventually paid a little over $200 CAD for the GHD.
-The plates do NOT meet unless additional force and effort is used. I heard thatís part of the design. Itís not really bothersome to me.
-The black side opposite of the plates can be too hot to the touch
-No temperature control!
-The material and design of the GHD, although very chic, makes it difficult to get a good grip on the flat iron. It tends to slip up from my hand so I need to be careful not to get burned.
-Because the widths of plates are only 1 inch, they do require more time to straighten my super thick and long hair.
-Although the GHD can be stowed away while hot, the heat still penetrates the bottom side of the heat resistant case. I always lay the black pouch (that Folica ships for free with other flat irons) underneath the GHD case.
-The GHD heat resistant case has that weird plastic smell.

OVERALL, I am in love with my GHD Scarlet! I can do straight and curly looks, It is the best of both worlds and I will repurchase when its time is due.

FELLOW CANADIANS: I paid $135 USD for the flat iron alone, thanks to a 20% Folica promotion and a 40% discount code. Shipping to Canada was the standard $20 USD from Folica. Inevitable Ontario duties and taxes was $42 CAD. So I paid a little over $200 CAD before it was finally in my hands. This is definitely an investment.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by amiradoll

this straightener is pretty good for my thick curly hair but i feel like it doesn't do the job as well as i expected it to do... my hair doesn't always end up smooth and it curls throughout the day and could even frizz. i expected more out of such an expensive straightener but maybe i should start using better hair products

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 9:39:00 AM More reviews by modestyblaise78

I am one of those people who does not know much about hair styling. I have long, thick and dry hair and I have tried many cheap and middle-priced stylers over the years in order to make curles or achieve any kind of acceptable looking hair style - I never ever had good results until I got this.
This gold styler is incredible!
The other stylers I tried needed ages to get hot - this one gets in just a few seconds!
It is really easy to straighten and curl hair with this.
Even I (a complete hair style dummy and a very clumsy person) manage to get my hair looking beautiful in less than 15 minutes, sometimes even in less than 10 minutes.
I saw some instructional videos - and that helped a lot.
Do not forget to use heat protection.
I like the fact that it does not have the button for regulating the temperature.
I manage not to burn my hair, fingers and forehead.
GHD Gold Styler is really expensive, but I would say that it is definitely worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by jen93

Ok so I have extremely thick and frizzy hair, its naturally extremely curly and I always straighten it after I wash it because it is very annoying otherwise. Wet it is pretty but when it dries it gets huge. Anyway so I have been using regular GHD's for years but my mum and I shared them and then for Christmas I got the gold ones. At first I loved them, the packaging was gorgeous, they came with a stunning looking little mirror and a hair dryer. It also came in a pirates chest type box that was so beautiful. I am used to them now and use them all the time but when I started using them at first I was dissappointed because they were so slippy they wouldnt hold my hair enough to straighten it, I had to grip so strongly that my hand was getting sore. I dont know if its product buildup or what but they're not as bad now. I love the zip up heat resistent bag they come in, its beautiful and really handy for storing them. I dont use the hairdryer as I already had a really good one and I didnt find this one powerful enough. As I say though I do have very thick and fairly long hair so I need a fair bit of power in my hiar dryer. The GHD's heat up really quickly which is great for me as I am quite busy and have to straighten my fringe in the mornings in a hurry. They cool fairly quickly as well, a bonus and have a good length of cabel without being too long. Overall I like them alot, but wish they were just a little less slippy.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2011 6:29:00 PM More reviews by LaCallas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Let me start by giving you a little background history. I have a full head of thick, very curly and dry/frizzy hair. Most of my life, I lived in a ponytail because it was impossible for me to tame all that hair. Then, CHI appeared. I was ecstatic at the possibility of having straight, manageable hair and it became my go-to tool throughout my early 20īs. I had three CHIs during that time and my last one broke precisely on the day of my 29th birthday party.

I had already noticed my hair had become increasingly dry and brittle, and would become a tangled mess even right after straightening it. So, having read so much about the wonders of the GHD, I decided to take the plunge and spend good money on one to see if it really made a difference. I am happy to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised.

I bought the Midnight Edition Set. It came with the iron, a travel bag (which doubles as a heat protectant mat) and two sectioning clips. The minute it got home, I unpacked it and proceeded to iron a small section of my curly hair. It was STICK STRAIGHT in one pass! And SHINY!

This DOES NOT disappoint. Next day, I washed my hair, blow dried it, and proceeded to flat iron it. I had never, ever, had hair so straight that looked so healthy. This really adds shine and makes your hair look as if it were naturally straight. Not the "I'm naturally curly but straighten my hair look". Those of us who have swam the waters of hair straighteners will know what I'm talking about.

It still became a little tangled afterwards, but that, I have found, was due more to the condition of my hair health than the iron itself. I started using a deep conditioner/moisturizing shampoo combo by Biolage and my hair has never looked better. I would absolutely encourage anyone with unruly hair to try this GHD. Maybe the girls blessed with straighter locks or slightly wavy hair will not need to splurge, but it is truly a miracle for those of us with hair that refuses to cooperate.

It is expensive, but I wouldn't think twice about buying another GHD when it broke. It's worth it!

PS - I want to add: Even my boyfriend (you know, a man! lol) noticed the difference! He said it looked as if it was naturally that way.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by MariaGirl

Its the best stylin iron i have ever used, makes hair shiner and its goes really fast using it. Perfect result after every usage!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2011 5:15:00 PM More reviews by GetLowxX

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I had been wanting a GHD for a while after seeing all the reviews online and YT videos as well. Having previously owned CHI and HAI irons, I was ready for something to really blow the socks off my hair and give me perfectly straight hair, while maintaining sleekness & shine.
Being that the most I had ever forked over for a flat iron was $90, I was hesitant to buy this but figured it would be worth it. I have only used it a couple of times in the past week but I absolutely LOVE this iron. My hair is color-treated, thick and a bit dry. I normally blowdry my hair as straight as possible then run over it with the flat iron. Recently, I didn't even need my blow dryer and just used the GHD on it section by section. It took a little longer, but my hair still felt great afterwards. Not only is my hair super straight, I also can add a bit of body to it as well just by starting at the root and slightly lifting my hair as I iron. Volume has never been an issue for me, but this little trick does help to give some lift at the roots. Even my boyfriend noticed how soft and shiny my hair was after using the GHD and I also noticed that my hair didn't have the typical fried burning smell like it has had in the past.
Another thing I like about this iron is how fast it heats up and how quickly it cools down once it's off. The 30 minute shut off feature is also nice too. Definitely worth the money I paid, but I wished it had came with a protective case or heat mat like my HAI iron had when I bought it, but it's something I can forgive. Try it if you are able, I find that it's worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2011 4:54:00 AM More reviews by CCSnow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

GHD's don't often live up to the hype. I bought it from ASOS for $188AUD and whilst not being all my dreams come true it's pretty good straightener. Compared to my previous Remington, Chi's and VS straighteners it wins hands down.

Positives: Heats in under 30 seconds, plates are super smooth and slightly curved so you can get curls, waves and straight hair. I ordered the 'glam set' which came with a heat protective bag and plate protector, both of which are very needed. Styles can hold without sprays or gels and leaves hair very smooth and polished feeling.

Negatives: No ability for heat setting, takes a long time to cool down and after about 20 minutes, the outside of the plates is also burning hot so styling is hard.

Something which I find a bit odd is when you straighten/curl a section of hair, you cannot go back immediately after to 'undo' it. You need to wait about 5 minutes before changing it....

Regardless, still a pretty awesome straightener.