April 24, 2014 | 926 users online

Liquid - Dinair Airbrush Makeup Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2013 9:21:00 PM More reviews by gamoses

I have fairly severe acne, so a foundation that covers it without making it worse has been a life-long struggle. My skin is naturally oily, but topical acne medication dries it out, so it's often flaky on top with shine all day-- ugh! Dinair's alcohol-based "paramedical" foundations (not the ones that usually come with the kit; you have to ask for them special) have been miraculous for me. I did get one small bottle of the water-based foundation called "glamour" for using around my eyes (the alcohol stings!) and on the too-dry skin around my lips, and also on top of any scab-like post-breakout spots. Everywhere else I use the paramedical foundation, and it seems to even be helping my acne a little.

Sadly, this is not as full-coverage as I'd prefer, because it gets very obvious and starts to crease if you apply too much. But that's been easily fixed with Make Up Forever's "full cover" concealer either under or on top of the Dinair. Perfect! All together, I use 4 drops of the water-based foundation and 20 of the paramedical foundation, though a little of that goes on my neck.

When finished, I use Bare Minerals' "mineral veil" powder on top, and thus remain matte for a full six hours!!! This in itself is astounding! A single touch up of powder sets me for the rest of the day. (I cannot even begin to describe how many other foundations I have tried in search of something long-lasting.) I bought and tried the "no sweat" spray, but found that it wasn't necessary and also tended to clog the gun. I'll put it on with a cotton ball during the summer only.

The cons:
- it takes a few minutes to clean the gun thoroughly after every single use, and when it's not cleaned well enough you won't discover it until the next morning when you're in a rush to get out the door and suddenly the airbrush is clogged. I've just bought their special cleaning brushes, since the paramedical makeup seems harder to clean well.
- it makes my eyelashes, eyebrows, and nose hairs stand out (light makeup on dark hair), but these are easily fixed with q-tips, mascara, and/or liquid eyeliner
- it does have a learning curve, but i was wearing it out the door after 5-10 tries
- you can't just go to the store when you run out. I think the foundation bottles are priced reasonably, but it's still a $100 investment in the airbrush itself.
- even their smallest sizes are huge. i bought a pink for blush and purple for eyeshadow that I have not loved, so that was $20 down the drain. Regular makeup goes on just fine over the Dinair foundation.

the pros (as detailed above)
- good for my acne
- covers skin well (with concealer on blemishes)
- stays matte on oily skin (with added powder) better than anything else

To sum up, it's not perfect, but it's definitely the best I've ever found. I highly recommend it for anyone with acne and oily skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/4/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by ballyhoo3

I totally agree with KMT. They have the worst customer service of any company I have ever been to. Do not buy from them. They have false advertising in their store, the people that work there are morons and they lie as well. Unreal experience with them today. I will be taking my business elsewhere, as well as letting everyone on the internet know not to purchase their products as I promised I would do.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/3/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by KMTat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

THE ABSOLUTE WORST PURCHASING EXPERIENCE EVER!!! VERY RUDE!! NO REFUNDS ON MAKE UP!! NO COURTESY FOR FIRST TIME CUSTOMERS! VERY MISLEADING WEBSITE!!! DON'T EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE!! RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2013 7:57:00 PM More reviews by sweettaurus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have never reviewed a make-up product before but I LOVE this one so much so I felt that I had to share.
A little about myself first. I am a woman in her late thirties that has had a problem with acne in the last 10 years. Because of the acne I had a problem with over doing my foundation just to try and cover it up. This would lead me to break out more and hence the cycle would continue. I heard of a friend of mine who also had acne had perchased airbrush make-up and loved it , so then the research for what product line I would go for began. I chose Dinair against all the other lines out there because for one they are the ones that started it out. They're make-up is also water based and paraben free. The final reason I went with them is that their kit was the least expensive.
Since using Dinair my skin has cleared up condsiderably , even my boyfriend has noticed a difference. The make-up lasts all day and dosn't melt off half way throught the day like conventional foundation. Dinair is buildable so you can wear as little of as much as you need and it still looks very natural. It's amazing really, it's not like I am trying to cover anything up anymore, it's more like me , just better.All the make-up is customizable so adding a drop of this to a drop of that can create a brand new colour. The make-up is matte but that can be rectified( if that's what you want) by using their moist and dewy. It does take a little bit to get use to the application . I watched a whack of youtube videos on how to apply and I have to say by the second time I had it down. Dinair does offer videos on their site also. The initial kit was a little pricey but in the long run the make-up lasts a lot longer. Also the cost of reordering is very affordable. I'm Canadian so it took about 3 weeks for me to get my order and after paying the duty and shipping costs I did some research to see if there was a distributor in Canada. Lucky for me there is . The cost of the products are just slightly higher but to save on insane shipping and duty fees I end up coming out ahead in the end. If there is anyone out there that is interesting in this product , I say go for it!!! I look forward to doing my make-up everyday now!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by bborsody

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have circled back to using my Dinair Airbrush Foundation because my beloved Kat Von D Lock-It is missing in action for the time being, or at least until Sephora is able to restock its supply. I have had a very bad attitude about this, and am grudgingly using foundations that I had stored away since Lock-It came into my life.

I pulled my air compressor out, gave the gun a good cleaning and went to work. When I had initially purchased the Dinair system I just was not that impressed with the coverage or the durability of the foundation. However, I guess it is my new-found spirit of "nothing is going to make me happy anyway" that is resulting in a much better end result. It takes about 10 drops of foundation to spray my face adequately, keeping in mind that I do have some areas of melasma that I cover with a stippling brush and one or two extra drops of foundation. Additionally I apply the foundation over my Tarte Oil Control BB Creme, which adds both sun protection and longer wear to the Dinar product. I set the foundation with Guerlain Meteorites Powder, and use Urban Decay Naked blush trio over that. This combination does give a very natural finish and seems to resist breaking down from oil. The color stays true throughout the day and has not caused any breakouts. All things considered, this is now my number two favorite foundation.

Now for the downside: airbrush systems are all well and good for professionals and special occasions, but they are unweildly and time consuming for this average gal getting ready to scurry out the door in the morning. Most of the time suck comes from having to clean the gun thoroughly when you are finished and, if you are not using a water docker, you have to fill the cup with water, cap the fill bowl and the needle end and tie back the trigger. Beginning to end the entire process can add 10 minutes to my morning cosmetics routine, time I would rather spend looking for my pantyhose or deciding which earrings to wear.

I guess there are no perfect solutions. Come back Kat, all is forgiven.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 6:22:00 PM More reviews by knhappyface

I am in love! I have absolutely no idea why airbrush makeup isn't seen more often in everyday society. People spend SO much time and money trying to find foundation that mimicks airbrush quality; so why not get the real deal?

I bought the Personal Pro kit from Dinair, and have zero complaints whatsoever. I actually wear a thin layer on top of my usual Cover FX E10 cream foundation, and below the Cover FX matte setting powder. It makes my skin look so gorgeous and smooth, further diminishes the appearance of my dark spots from old acne, and really diffuses the appearance of my large nose and cheek pores (especially from a distance!). Up close, my skin texture looks exactly the same as it does without makeup, but from a couple feet back, it looks 100% flawless. It's amazing.

The foundation doesn't transfer at all, dries on contact, and lasts me through an entire 8.5 hour on-my-feet work shift without needing to add more matte powder. This is a first for me, for ANY foundation.

It does take like 6-10 applications to really figure it out and perfect your look, and longer if you're planning to use it for eyeshadow ("airshadow") and contouring. I have trouble using it for blush, as it tends to look a little unnatural. I love it for eyeshadow, though. It's so much faster and looks just as good or better than using regular brushes.

Overall, I would recommend the Dinair line to everybody. It's 100% worth the money and its versatility is unbeatable.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2013 1:24:00 PM More reviews by yesitskellie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this system for personal use because I never seem to have makeup on at the end of the day even after using primers underneath & both Ben Nye final seal and the Mehron products to keep the makeup in place. The reviews I read prior to purchase said tears & sweat would not affect this makeup and that the colors were great. I'm a dark skinned person & I sent a picture for them to match me. I was told Egyptian bronze was the correct color for my skin tone. Sadly, today I am attempting to find a foundation color that actually matches me & does not make me look all red in the face. The system is pretty easy to use so I give it an overall 3 taking off points for not really having a better array of colors for women of color whose undertones are not red. The unfortunate thing is, for years I've had difficulty finding the right foundation color and many either make me look red or make me look ashy, MAC is the only company I've found that has a flawless match for my skin tone. I will be looking & hoping that MAC has a color in their airbrush line that matches the color I have been wearing that is not an airbrush product. I would buy this system & the other makeup colors just not the foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by samara85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This airbrush makeup is fun at first, but it is more time consuming. And as much as I don't mind the extra work when I product delivers great results, this one can be annoying because for me, the results are just ok.

I have large pores and and fine lines around my eyes. And I usually use a blending brush to apply foundation to my face which works well. Anyway, I had airbrush makeup done for my wedding, and I did like it, it looked amazing in photos, but was very thick and would never wear that much everyday. But I thought if I bought an airbrush system I could do a lighter version of it. I did do this, but I find it doesn't give good coverage at all and makes all my pores, hairs, and lines show up so much worse. I can go super heavy like my wedding day and get the same look, but it's just silly for every day wear. It's too much and looks cakey. Some how with my hair and eye makeup all done on my wedding day, it looked good. But now i find it just settles in fine lines and shows my pores way too much. Maybe it didn't even look that good on my wedding day, and maybe the photographer we had was good with the lighting and airbrushing photos lol.
So no, I do not prefer this over regular makeup because it just doesn't give enough coverage without looking ridiculous.

Trust me, take a mirror OUTSIDE, on an overcast day where it's that bright grey sky outside. You will see how rough your skin looks with airbrushing. Lol. That's how i figured out it was not as good and seamless as I thought it was.

So I did give it three stars because... If you have days where your skin is peeling because of being dry or sun burnt or whatever, airbrushing will help give you some light coverage and won't peel up the skin. So whenever my skin is dry or patchy from being too cold weather or whatever, regular foundation peels up all that and makes it worse, but the airbrushing give u just a TAD bit of coverage and doesn't disturb the peeling flakey skin. Lol. But it has to be just a little bit of coverage or I swear, u will look cakey. Just take that mirror outside and see ur face in true daylight.

So I guess I will just use this when I have days where my skin is peeling or flakey and can't use foundation. But it is just a waste IMO because my skin is rarely peeling or flakey. I'd rather saved my money and not wore regular foundation on those days lol. But I know everyone is different and they have a return policy so if ya gotta try it out, it may be worth it for you.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by bottledup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Dinair new bottles - got my first packs, they had leaked all through the pack! Not just one, but 2.
Very messy, obviously cant be used.
Still waiting for a response from customer service.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2013 8:51:00 PM More reviews by Yorria

Without Airbrush: This foundation kinda sucks without a compressor (does not have to be dinair's) , but if you are interested in getting Dinair, buy a bottle from amazon and test it out on your face first. There isn't much in it so I can't see anybody breaking out (its helped my skin) but its possible.

Foundation/Blush/Eyshadow/Contour/Highlight with Compressor: Very good for all the above things. Cannot say how much I love it for all these. Goes on flawlessly once you get the hang of it, but its takes TIME.

Compressor/Airbrush for eyeliner and lips: Dinair claims it can do eyeliner and lips, and while it does eyeliner fine I still think regular eyeliner is superior. I would not reccomend for lips.

Foundation for Dry Skin: This makeup is dry naturally and if you have dry or combination skin you may want to mix in moist and dewy INTO the foundation using backbubbling method. Moist and dewy does not replace a moisturizer.

Foundation for Combination Skin: Put the moist and dewy on after you foundation in areas where its dry. Moisturizing before (not with moist and dewy) is important.

Foundation for Oily Skin: Use makeup alone without moist and dewy. Will cover wonderfully but does not prevent oil production, you may need to set it with a powder. For extremely oily skin (like where you are finding the makeup isn't staying), you may want to consider switching to their paramedical makeup. I've also read (but never tried) you can add a quality vodka (JUST 1 DROP) and mix it in through backbubbling and this helps. Or mixing in a setting spray, or spraying on the setting spray with the airbrush afterwords.

--------

Price: I wont' lie to you, the initial cost is pretty steap, but its pretty universal price throughout all airbrush systems. However dinair's compressor is supiorier to luminess. Once you have the compressor, you can use any WATER based airbrush makeup with it. So if you find you don't like dinair's makeup after a time, you can use luminess or water based temptu, occ, etc. The makeup after the initial cost is on par with drug store brands, just buy in bulk to save when you can and remember airbrush makeup last a long time.

Equipment: Pretty high quality stuff but if your compressor should die, dont' freak. Just call them up and they will give you instructions to ship it back then they will ship you another one. This process takes 2 weeks roughly from you sending it to you getting it at your door. For status updates USE THE PHONE, don't bother e-mailing them, they suck with e-mails.

Customer Service: This is a biggie, and its most apparent hated part of it all. Customer service is amazing...ON THE PHONE. Super fast, friendly and helpful, and is by far the best customer service I've had via phone. However trying to get customer service to reply to e-mail is difficult. Their automated messages are fine but dont' expect to hear from actual people by e-mail. CALL THEM.

Return Policy: There is a 15% restocking fee if you want to return the compressor, OR you could take their free skype lesson and that restocking fee is waved. The reason they do this is SOOOOO many people go forever applying this makeup on wrong and end up hating the product and want it returned. Airbrush makeup takes time to learn right, otherwise it comes on cakey or uneven. If you are worried truly about returning, purchase through paypal so you can dispute if need be.

Clogging issues: Allot of complaints about clogging. This is true with any continuous airflow brush imo. What you need to make sure is you follow their cleaning instructions on their videos and doc it/use caps with cleaning solution in barrel everytime after you are done using it. This will breakdown dried makeup. Does not have to be their cleaning solution (there's is cheap though). If you accidently used a sylicone based makeup and it gets clogged they sell pipecleaners (which are also nice for doing a montly deep cleaning).

New Lids: I was going to complain about lids leaking (old ones do) but their new design fixes this issue. If you see a funnel like top on a bottle it is their old lids (except for 1.15 oz bottle), the new lids are flat and dont' leak or waste product.

Time: This product takes time to master, if you find you don't like your application (its uneven or cakey) do something different. You cannot expect different results with the same techniques. This can take some people a week or two to get the hang of and to master it takes longer.

----------

I love my dinair, its not a needed product by any means, more of a toy for me since I don't apply makeup professionly but it has helped my skin clear up and is the most flawless finish I have ever gotten with the tiniest amount of makeup I've ever applied on my face.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No