Dinair Airbrush Makeup Foundation

3.5

Deionized Water, Talc, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Xanthan Gum, Magnesium, Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate May Contain: (Pigments) Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides,Manganese Violet,Chromium Oxide Green, Aluminum Powder,Bronze Powder

on 11/14/2013 9:00:00 PM

I became interested in airbrush makeup after I had it done for my wedding, and decided to investigate brands and purchase one for my own use. After doing some research, Dinair seemed to be the best value and easiest to use for a beginner. I purchased my unit, plus the extra colors that come in the biggest package deal (around $250) this summer. I really wanted to make this company and machine work, but since June I have had several awful experiences with Dinair's customer service, the products, and the over all company.

First of all, the unit is not great and often does not want to turn on and work functionally if there is the slightest amount of product left in the airbrush gun. No matter how much time I spend cleaning, I still can't predicate how my machine is going to work for me the next time I turn it on. Maybe this is just airbrush makeup in general, but I feel like it should not be this hard to use on a daily basis.

Secondly, I have called Dinair's customer service multiple times since I have owned my airbrush unit for help on how to use the machine and what to do when it gets clogged just to always hang up feeling confused or frustrated. The girls (and they are ALWAYS girls) that answer are not well versed in their products and are seldom of any help. In fact, they are always rude, and hang up on you if the conversation gets even slightly heated for any reason. There is no courtesy or politeness in these phone calls. I constantly feel EXTREMELY under-appreciated as a loyal customer, and don't feel welcome at all when I call for help or questions. I have invested well over $800 into their company just since June. I have gotten several different girls from customer service, and when I mention that a particular person I last spoke with said something to me, they respond, "don't listen to her; she doesn't know what she is talking about." On several different accounts this has occurred, which I find completely unprofessional, and shocking! There is obviously some politics happening behind scenes that I am having to hear as a customer on the other line. I last called on an error that occurred on their website, and consequently caused me to purchase a product I did not want. When I called to ask about a return of the item, not only would they not allow me to return it for a refund or credit, all they simply said was "sorry" and hung up. No compromise for their mistake and no sympathy for the problem. In fact, it was MY fault it happened, and their is nothing they were willing to do about it. I hung up swearing I was never going to purchase from them again. And I haven't. If they don't want to help their customers, they are going to lose them; its just that simple.

On a different note, I was purchasing items from Dinair when they still had "Dina Sparkle Points", where every dollar was a point. I racked up a good amount of them, and then one week they announced they were getting rid of this reward system. I was ensured that I would be able to redeem my already accumulated points over the phone. Once the points system was gone, so were my points. After several phone calls, I was denied any sort of credit for them, and was treated as an obnoxious customer who wanted compensation for no reason. I was ultimately cheated of the points I already earned and could do nothing about it. At this point, there is zero incentive to continue purchasing products from them.

As for the products; they are expensive for even the smallest bottle available, and are hard to use on the face. The shimmers ALWAYS clog my machine and cause me to use half a bottle of cleaner to even get the gun to spray normally again. I am not satisfied with how the colors spray on at all either. I have watched every youtube video Dinair has put out, and am confident I am using the machine correctly.

At this point I have used Dinair for almost six months on myself and others, including for my sister's wedding, and have concluded that I will no longer be buying from them. Like I said, I really wanted to make this company work for me because they appeared to have a good reputation in the media, but they just weren't making it easy to work with. There are companies just as good as them, or better, and I plan on investing in another machine from a competing company. At this time I do not recommend this company, or its products, to anyone interested in trying out airbrushing. Temptu or Luminess are both good companies, and I will be looking into their products instead.

on 10/24/2013 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love all the makeup from Dinair. The finish is flawless and matte. I usually get oily throughout the day, but with their foundation I stay matte from morning til night. I used to use YSL liquid foundation, but it would make me break out. With Dinair, since it's water based, my skin stays acne/blemish free.

The makeup is super affordable for a college student like me. A little goes a long way.

I also like that you can customize everything. I get darker in the summer and lighter in the winter, so it's nice that they give you several shades to mix. I also like that I can use the blush colors on my lips as lipgloss with the dewy/moisture liquid.

I read some reviews about the airbrush not working properly after several uses, and I can say that mine is just like new after weeks of daily use. Maybe the other people just aren't cleaning it correctly?

The packaging is also adorable. I like the little hearts on all the bottle caps. The airbrush/compressor are a great size that would make them easy to travel with.

Anyways, Dinair foundation is wonderful if you want that flawless, airbrushed look that lasts the whole day for less money than designer foundation from places like Sephora. I totally recommend!!

on 10/19/2013 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I went to sephora and I happened to have a temptu airbrush application there. I loved it so much but I do my research before i purchase anything. This was years ago before dinair even got popular through tv ads etc. I decided that because of the pods were so expensive, and the reputation dinair had as well as the versatility it was a better choice. I worked overtime to even be able to afford this before I left for beauty school full time... I follow instructions perfectly it was so fussy, and never really looked right. It gets so tight and cracks, if you hug someone and accidentally brush against their shoulder you'll have a void mark on your cheek... it clings to the peach fuzz to your face and it looks so artificial... under your eyes gets so cracked you look so much older than you are. I have tried every trick in the book... apparently why I liked temptu's make up so much is because it is silicone base and dinair is water base. NOT WORTH THE MONEY! Stick with Makeup forever hd make up less fuss, its powerless and actually makes you look beautiful with out the fuss!!

on 8/24/2013 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I also received my Dinair system as a gift, and after 2 months the gun would not spray evenly and sputtered. I kept the gun really clean and only used Dinair products in it, so I called customer service and they said I should watch the video and clean it...which I told her I already had. She then told me that it was out of warranty and they could do nothing for me.

My friend has the same Dinair set as me and her gun also just so happened to stop working right after the warranty was up. hmmmmmm.

I decided to buy a Belletto Studio kit from HauteLook for $110...which I probably should have done in the first place.

on 6/18/2013 12:47:00 AM

I purchased my Dinair pro kit a month ago. I completely obsessed and did numerous amounts of research and comparisons before i ended up purchasing the dinair kit. I was skeptical at first because i couldn't find the right color match and because my applications at first weren't so great or convincing(lack of practice of course). After a week i became better and bettter at applications and that's when i knew this will be my foundation forever! I end up with a flawless complexion every time now. I can sweat and my makeup is still there. It doesn't brake me out! and almost everything brakes me out(seriously, im not kidding... sometimes im even afraid of washing my face)! I like the fact that i don't have to spray a lot to get that even coverage. I am completely satisfied with this product! and the best part is that the make-up is very affordable! This is coming from a girl that hardly wears more than necessary make-up, now i even wear blush and enjoy contouring and highlighting my face!

on 6/17/2013 9:33:00 PM

Re: The Dinair Personal Pro airbrush sprayer. I purchased one 5 months ago, kept it scrupulously clean, treated it like fragile china, used it approximately 6 times with only Dinair products & I was pleased with the coverage. But then the airbrush just stopped working properly. The air sprayed out fine but not the makeup. Watched the DVD to ensure I was doing everything correctly when troubleshooting the possible cause. Nothing. Emailed customer service numerous times & received either no replies or replies with no solutions. Talked to LiveChat who said it must need a deep cleaning, to mail it to them & they’ll charge me $25 for the cleaning…..a deep cleaning after only 6 uses! LiveChat had to admit that it would be unusual for it to need a deep cleaning after so short of time & having been used only half a dozen times. I read everything I could on every website that dealt with troubleshooting airbrush sprayers to try to determine what was wrong with this airbrush. Next, spoke to a rep on the telephone who didn’t have a clue as to what could be the problem, I suggested that maybe the O-ring needed replacing. She sent me 2 O-rings…wrong size. However, a friend who recently purchased one of these airbrush sprayers (on my recommendation, I’m sad to say) lent me her O-ring…that was not it, problem continued. Yesterday, I again emailed Dinair & par for the course, have yet to hear back from them. If I were asked to recommend this product, I would say a very emphatic NO. They claim they have wonderful customer service… not from my experience nor do they seem to know their product. Not once did they offer any concrete help or offer to replace the airbrush. I hope in relating my experience with Dinair, that it will save someone else the cost of this airbrush as well as the frustration in dealing with Dinair.

on 6/6/2013 7:29:00 PM

Before i purchase Dinair i"ve seen some of the reviews to make sure that what i was about to purchase was good. I've seen terrible reviews and satisfying reviews so i just order it with a sales rept and she convinced me to be a pro card member for my clients and how much money i will be making with DINAIR, not only that but she gave me a Skype lesson. She was wonderful, helpful, and professional.
The last thing was my shipment, i was worried because i live in CANADA.
OOH WOW when i received my product and my compressor the packaging from the inside was really protected that I will definetly not hesitate on ordering again and my airbrush make up is flawless ..
I LOVE MY DINAIR.

on 5/30/2013 9:21:00 PM

I have fairly severe acne, so a foundation that covers it without making it worse has been a life-long struggle. My skin is naturally oily, but topical acne medication dries it out, so it's often flaky on top with shine all day-- ugh! Dinair's alcohol-based "paramedical" foundations (not the ones that usually come with the kit; you have to ask for them special) have been miraculous for me. I did get one small bottle of the water-based foundation called "glamour" for using around my eyes (the alcohol stings!) and on the too-dry skin around my lips, and also on top of any scab-like post-breakout spots. Everywhere else I use the paramedical foundation, and it seems to even be helping my acne a little.

Sadly, this is not as full-coverage as I'd prefer, because it gets very obvious and starts to crease if you apply too much. But that's been easily fixed with Make Up Forever's "full cover" concealer either under or on top of the Dinair. Perfect! All together, I use 4 drops of the water-based foundation and 20 of the paramedical foundation, though a little of that goes on my neck.

When finished, I use Bare Minerals' "mineral veil" powder on top, and thus remain matte for a full six hours!!! This in itself is astounding! A single touch up of powder sets me for the rest of the day. (I cannot even begin to describe how many other foundations I have tried in search of something long-lasting.) I bought and tried the "no sweat" spray, but found that it wasn't necessary and also tended to clog the gun. I'll put it on with a cotton ball during the summer only.

The cons:
- it takes a few minutes to clean the gun thoroughly after every single use, and when it's not cleaned well enough you won't discover it until the next morning when you're in a rush to get out the door and suddenly the airbrush is clogged. I've just bought their special cleaning brushes, since the paramedical makeup seems harder to clean well.
- it makes my eyelashes, eyebrows, and nose hairs stand out (light makeup on dark hair), but these are easily fixed with q-tips, mascara, and/or liquid eyeliner
- it does have a learning curve, but i was wearing it out the door after 5-10 tries
- you can't just go to the store when you run out. I think the foundation bottles are priced reasonably, but it's still a $100 investment in the airbrush itself.
- even their smallest sizes are huge. i bought a pink for blush and purple for eyeshadow that I have not loved, so that was $20 down the drain. Regular makeup goes on just fine over the Dinair foundation.

the pros (as detailed above)
- good for my acne
- covers skin well (with concealer on blemishes)
- stays matte on oily skin (with added powder) better than anything else

To sum up, it's not perfect, but it's definitely the best I've ever found. I highly recommend it for anyone with acne and oily skin.

on 5/4/2013 9:55:00 PM

I totally agree with KMT. They have the worst customer service of any company I have ever been to. Do not buy from them. They have false advertising in their store, the people that work there are morons and they lie as well. Unreal experience with them today. I will be taking my business elsewhere, as well as letting everyone on the internet know not to purchase their products as I promised I would do.

on 5/3/2013 6:19:00 PM

THE ABSOLUTE WORST PURCHASING EXPERIENCE EVER!!! VERY RUDE!! NO REFUNDS ON MAKE UP!! NO COURTESY FOR FIRST TIME CUSTOMERS! VERY MISLEADING WEBSITE!!! DON'T EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE!! RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!