April 20, 2014 | 1964 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Original SPF 15 Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by breeolvera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So I've been wanting to give my skin a break from the full coverage liquids, because they can take a toll on the skin, so I began the experiment with minerals. The thing with this foundation is that you really need the brushes. For some reason any other brush I use won't give a good finish or coverage. Also I don't think if you have redness with product alone isn't for you I use the mineral concealer they also sell with the recommended brush and I got the coverage I desired. It last about 8 hours but of you use the primer it boost it to about 14 hours. It's very light feeling on the face and looks like skin. I won't be commited to minerals forever though because I'm a very busy women so I need very long wearing and great coverage makeup that's easy to apply and I can't use highlighting pens with this foundation.

At the end of the day if your just the average woman I do 100% recommend this.

Ps my mother and sister and I have different coverage needs and skin types and it works for all of us.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 1:07:00 AM More reviews by KBaylie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Made me shiny, broke me out, and made my face itch!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by kimberlyqy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This makes my face very shiny in pictures. I look like a disco ball.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2013 7:38:00 PM More reviews by lipstickthespian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this product. I have bought it on 2 different occasions and I can't understand the hype. It looked thick and cakey . Even when I just used a tiny bit I still couldn't achieve the light coverage I was wanting.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by ichigocutie

I develop a sensitivity to silicone in beauty products switch all my skincare to silicone free products but its almost impossible to find a silicone free liquid foundation and the one without have mineral oil or Shea butter as the emollient ingredients to replace the silicone and lucky me,I'm also sensitive to those ingredients. So I dig my stash found this mineral foundation and I did research about how mineral makeup never expire. This foundation have high medium coverage and the way I apply to get the most coverage is I use the Sonia Kashuk flat top multi purpose brush and I spray it with setting spray like the Mac fix+ and buff it in small section. It'll take longer time but the result is flawless. I also make sure to spray setting spray to tame down the powdery look. If you have sensitive skin use synthetic brush,avoid using the brush that come with the kit it can irritate the skin and make it itchy and cause acne. It's all about the method of applying the foundation,once you find what suit you,you'll like this foundation especially for the summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2013 11:39:00 AM More reviews by tabulous77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Discovering BE was literally life changing. I don't have the greatest skin, so foundation has always been a must for me. That being said, I've tried every liquid foundation out there from really expensive to really cheap and nothing was ever perfect but settled on Clinique. Application would sometimes take 20-40 minutes. I felt like a slave to it but at the same time I needed it. Then I saw BE's infomercial and decided to give it a go. I did it wrong at first but watched the video and tried again and wow! it's been over 10 years and I've never gone back to liquid. I always get compliments on my skin. ppl say it looks flawless, they say say I glow. I just St thank you but inside in thinking if you only knew! Application only takes about two minutes and I get to move on with my life. And here's the best part: mineral foundation is not a top secret formula. It must not be hard to figure out because I decided to give NYC formula a few years ago and I couldn't tell a differences. I think they quit making it though, so I this Avon and is great too and way way cheaper! in totally sold on mineral makeup and have no desire to ever use anything else!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by ctregower

I bought this from Sephora while studying abroad in California. I needed a darker (shade) and lighter (texture) foundation to fix the tandem problem of getting a tan and not needing as much coverage. I'd also ended my 5 year love affair with liquid foundations prior to flying out, so was looking for an alternative to the fairly greasy BB cream that was my interim care-giver.

On the first day I used Bare Minerals, I was very pleased. Just a small amount gave me an incredible smooth finish, and I didn't need to reapply all day. It didn't neutralise the shine on my forehead nearly as well as my old friend translucent powder, but that was just a minor niggle.

For the next few days, I enjoyed my new complexion, but then the rose tinted goggles wore off a little and I noticed that my skin was considerably duller at night after taking off my make up, and a few days later, that I was getting little red pimples on my chin and forehead (a seldom occurrence for me). So, with a heavy heart I knew what I had to do. I had to renounce the Minerals - at least from daily wear.

My skin is much healthier and happier after quitting all foundation, but if it were a special occasion I would certainly use Bare Minerals and a little highlighter to even my complexion and make my skin glow. The finish and coverage is beautiful, but unfortunately, my skin does not like to hang out with it for extended periods (as it hasn't liked to hang out with most foundations I've introduced it to...).

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2013 11:51:00 AM More reviews by danski1986

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Grey

I make such a mess when I'm using this, all that swirling and tapping of the brush seems to get the powder everywhere!

I like the idea of using natural and light foundations on my skin, but the coverage on this is rubbish. I almost gave up on it altogether...but then I found its a good partner in crime when teamed up with a BB cream. This still makes me feel I'm not putting too much rubbish on my face but still hides my blemishes and pores. I will use it until it runs out but I doubt I will repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/2/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by nreid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I first encountered BE's original foundation in 2007 when the first Canadian Sephora opened in Toronto. When I tried it in the store it seemed amazing, despite the fact I knew nothing about how to apply what back then was a totally new-to-me kind of makeup. In the store it looked amazing enough for me to actually buy some, and over the course of 5 months I loved it enough to recommend it to several coworkers who commented on how good my skin looked. (I was also using BE's mineral veil at the time.)

Back then, BE's foundation made my skin look like porcelain. It applied smoothly, didn't highlight pores or dry patches, and hid all the imperfections I was looking to disguise. It never dried out my otherwise dry skin, and it never made my skin oily in response to being dried out. The ease of application really cut down on the time it used to take me to put on my makeup when I was still using liquid foundation and concealer. It was a great product, even if I didn't know how to apply it properly or was a little heavy-handed with application. It seemed very forgiving and flexible and I was pretty happy with the product and its results. My skin never glowed, but it did look pretty damn good.

In the spring of 2008, I reordered the foundation (and mineral veil) online via Sephora since Vancouver didn't yet have a Sephora in town and BE wasn't as widely available as it is now. Now, I don't know if BE changed their formula during those few months it took me to use up my foundation or if it's because Vancouver is way less humid than Toronto. But whatever the reason, my second purchase was a bit of a nightmare. Suddenly, my skin was seriously dried out by the powders. It looked chalky and cakey no matter how I applied it or how little foundation I used. It no longer hid my flaws or covered up undereye circles; there was very little coverage to speak of. It did nothing for my skin like it did the first time I tried it. And, surprisingly, the first few times I applied the new batch of foundation it made my skin super itchy. I had to return it to Sephora for a refund because it was that awful.

After that I used Everyday Minerals for three years until 2011 when I got tired of EM's expensive shipping costs. For me, BE was the only easily accessible mineral makeup available since Vancouver then had a Sephora. So, despite my reservations about using BE again, I bought a third set of the foundation and mineral veil. Just like the second time, revisiting BE was a bad idea. I encountered the same issues - it was chalky; it made me looked washed-out (I was colour-matched in the store); it highlighted everything I didn't want highlighted; it made my skin look old, dehydrated, and lined; it made my pores look bigger; it offered very little actual coverage; it made my skin itchy (and I almost never react to any products). In other words, it was a complete waste of money and did nothing for my skin. I looked better without makeup on than with BE on my face.

I've had sales assistants, makeup artists, and even BE (and EM) customer service staff insist that people with dry skin such as mine can wear mineral makeup. They're adamant that it's not the product drying out my skin and that the powders don't draw moisture from the skin but instead lock moisture in and help hydrate the skin. I don't believe this for a second. Mineral makeup actually dried out my skin more than anything else I've ever put on it, even to the point of making the skin on my face crack and bleed one winter.

BE might be one of the most well-known mineral makeup lines out there. But it's way over-hyped, over-priced, contains questionable ingredients, and in my experience is not something anyone with dry skin should be wearing.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by CrisAlex

This has got to be one of the worst products that I have ever tried. On top of making my face itchy, it gave me a chalky look despite moisturizing well. I tried to make it work, but it just didn't. What a waste of money.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No