Olay Regenerist Night Resurfacing Elixir

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Glycolic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Butylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Palmitoyl Pentapeptide 4 (Amino-Peptide), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Allantoin, PEG 100 Stearate, Cellulose, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Benzyl Alcohol, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Iron Oxides

on 7/13/2014 12:41:00 PM

Edit: I actually like it now. I switched to Alpha Hydrox 8% aha and it clogged my pores (it's a lotion). Still too expensive though. Alpha Hydrox has a gel I believe that half the price.

It might work for you but why spend $30 on an AHA product with nothing special in it when you can buy Walgreens AHA 8% or Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA for $8 and get the same results. I splurged anyway and bought it after reading the reviews and it did absolutely nothing for my skin after using nightly for 7 days. My husband couldn't even kiss my cheek at night because it was so tacky and I had to lay on my back to sleep because my cheeks would stick to the pillow. If Olay sold this for $12 or something then I understand why some people would wear this since it's in gel form and unscented, but $30? Come on!

For a drugstore product, this stuff is amazing. It was my first go at using a product with glycolic acid, so the strength of it is perfect (doesn't say how much on the packaging, but Paula Begoun's website says it contains about 8-10%). It did tingle a little at first, but my skin quickly adjusted so that the majority of my applications were neither tingly nor burn-ey. The actual product is a thin, watery gel that is a little sticky upon application, although it does dry after a few minutes. It doesn't smell like anything at all. There is some shimmer, god knows why, but it doesn't bother me and isn't really noticeable. You get a slight "brightening" effect when you look in the mirror, but can't see any sparkle. I elected not to use a moisturizer on top because A) I have oily/combo skin and didn't necessarily need it and B) I wanted to make sure that all the results I was getting was purely from the Olay Elixir. After I washed my face, I would dry it and spritz on some rosewater, then slather the elixir all over my face, neck and decolletage.

The results: I had noticeably smoother skin within a few weeks and my break-outs were almost eliminated. I know that AHAs only work on the surface, not inside pores, but it does a bang-up job at keeping blemishes at bay. I think it's because it clears away the dead skin build up on the surface. After I used up the Olay, I upgraded to Cane and Austin Retexturizing Treatment Pads (awesome) that have nearly 20% glycolic acid because I liked the results from glycolic acid, but as a starter glycolic treatment, I would highly recommend the Olay. I intend to buy more and use it on my body as using more expensive glycolic treatments all over my body is too cost prohibitive.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Saw this at my local Big Lots closeout store. It was a package of 2 for $8.00. Already winning with the price. I had nothing to lose. This stuff goes on smooth and dries fast. No stickiness, no weird residue. After 2 weeks of continuous use, my skins texture and tone has improved noticeably! This is going to be a regular purchase for me!

on 7/9/2014 7:12:00 PM

Yesterday night was my first time using it, this morning I found my skin smoother and softer, I expect this can help me with my closed acne/pimple, because it contains sort of acid, I used this last night and this morning I found one of my closed pimple transfer to whitened pimple, it is so effective! I'm happy with this!! Will keep using it everyday and update my opinion later to see if it still ok after long use

on 6/11/2014 2:51:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Disclaimer: I am using this elixir on my body, not my face, so this review is for its effects on non-facial skin only. I've been using Paula's Choice 10% AHA Body Revealing Lotion and I love it, but I forgot to bring it for a 2-month trip. So I bought this instead, since it contains a similar percentage of AHA and has a good pH. I use it from the neck down every other day after shower, and one bottle lasted for about 2 months. It felt slightly sticky when I first put it on, but quickly dried to a silky finish. My skin felt noticeably smoother after 2 or 3 uses, although the appearance of my skin didn't change - not that I expected noticeable difference in what my skin looked like within a month. I still like the PC 10% AHA Body Revealing Lotion better because this elixir comes in a transparent bottle that needs to stay away from light and heat, and it does not make my skin as smooth as the PC 10% AHA lotion, the elixir is also not moisturizing at all - I needed to put another moisturizer on after putting this on, and that just means more time and money spent, but the good thing is this elixir doesn't smell as strongly as the PC 10% AHA lotion. Make sure to use a sunscreen if you use this product! AHA makes your skin more sun sensitive. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this elixir and recommend that you use it 2-3 times a week :)

I am so glad I picked this up!! I have been using this for about a month now and my skin has changed drastically. I break out less frequently and I am no longer manually exfoliating everyday. I used to over exfoliate by using St. Ives Apricot Scrub every morning. Not anymore! I now only manually exfoliate once, MAYBE twice a week with my Olay spin brush and my usual Olay refreshing citrus cleanser. I live in Hawaii though, so I am extra careful when going to the beach or just being outside, since the sun is so harsh here. I always wear sunblock on my face and when at the beach I now wear a hat. But the kabuki/geisha look I have while sans makeup (tan body, white face lol) is totally worth the benefits of a smoother, less blemished complexion. I had been suffering from hormonal breakouts around my jawline and chin, even across my forehead.... But they are now much less frequent or severe. Even when I do get a breakout I feel like this elixir helps them heal practically overnight... or at least within a few days. The glycolic acid has a way of really getting deep down into your pores and cleaning them out while exfoliating off any dead skin cells you may have built up. I bought the mini bottle at Walmart for $10 just to try... and I still have about half of that left, even after nightly use for a month. I only need a "smaller than pea" sized amount to cover my whole face and jawline. I really like that the pump allows me to easily get OnlY the amount needed. I have a lot of control with it, no wasting product! Do not apply too much though because I find that applying too much will leave my skin feeling really sticky. Also there is no need, for me, to apply a moisturizer over this... however I do like to use a serum twice a week. I apply this first and the after it has dried completely, add the serum on top for added benefits. I really do love this stuff, It's definitely worth trying it! I will be repurchasing the larger size next time. I am 28 but I want to start preventing aging now. This is the perfect amount of glycolic acid for me at this time in my life. It has 8%, I believe. I did not experience any sensitivity or irritation with this. Maybe a slight tingle the first couple of times I used it. I recommend trying this, especially if you can find the mini version.... it's only $10 for .5 oz. The original 1.7 oz. goes for $24 so you obviously save a little money getting the bigger one. I didn't want to waste money so I tried the mini one first :)

on 4/3/2014 11:20:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this when I got pregnant and was told to stop using my Differin retinoid cream. I wanted a non-teratogenic alternative that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and there was an article in Allure about the power of AHAs. I hadn't used an AHA cream since the days when they first came out and they stung like a mofo. This has definitely delivered. I use it every other night followed by a vit C cream in the morning, and I noticed a difference in the smoothness/tone of my skin after just a few weeks of use. Non-irritating (but I am used to retinoids). Great product for the price.

on 3/10/2014 7:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

A really great AHA serum that received a "BEST" from Paula Begoun. I really like this and feel like when I use in combination with the Olay Pro X Retinol my skin looks lovely and clear and fresh the next day.

I am on my second bottle, however I will not continue to repurchase as I wish to transition to cruelty free products. Derma E does a great cruelty free AHA product.

on 3/10/2014 6:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is a fragrance-free AHA serum, and for whatever reason, Olay chose to include mica so it looks slightly shimmery in the bottle however this is not very noticeable when applied to skin, if anything, it looks like a slight sheen. I like that it comes in a pump bottle so it is sanitary and easy to dispense the amount you need.

I use this a few times per week, and it provides all the benefits typical of an AHA : smoother skin, helps with any marks, blemishes or hyperpigmentation, can reduce clogged pores, and help with dryness or flaky skin. It's a thin serum and isn't very hydrating, so I would only recommend this to combination, normal or oily skin. Drier skins will probably do better with a cream or more emollient-based AHA such as Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Cream. It comes in a 1.7 oz pump bottle which usually lasts me about 7-8 months so it's a good value and is often on sale. I had no issues with irritation, dryness, peeling or any negative effects.

While I like this serum and it works well for my skin, I will not repurchase because Olay tests on animals, and I don't want to keep buying cosmetics from companies that do. AHA products are widely available from many companies that don't test on animals (for example Alpha Hydrox, PC's).

on 3/9/2014 9:59:00 AM

This was just awful. It went on sticky and left my face feeling so tight. I had to put another moisturizer over it since it felt so tight. It also made me break out and that never happens. I am returning this immediately. Just a terrible product.

Popular Treatments (Face)