July 26, 2014 | 992 users online

Lip Treatments - Burt's Bees - Tinted Lip Balm

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by bloodyroses

OMG. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! I'm not one for high-maintenance lip colour. I often don't carry a mirror with me when I'm out (I'm a light packer) but because of my love of makeup and beauty products, there's always a magnetism for lip products that exists. I've been looking for a tinted balm for awhile and doing some research to see what kinds of things are out there. I'm always wary of buying higher-end lip products because I will use them less than 10 times and give up because my lips are always in such horrible condition or I just can't be bothered to touch up my lip colour throughout the day. I also have a teeth-gnashing hate for sticky lip products (lip gloss? NOOOOOO.). I ended up buying this Burt's Bees tinted balm on a whim--my first colour was Rose. And then the next day, I went and bought two more: Sweet Violet and Red Dahlia. My lips are very pigmented and these balms are exactly what they are--tinted and sheer. There is just enough colour and shine for me to look polished. And because they are just like plain old twist-up balms (with the tube looking reminiscent of the Laura Mercier tinted balms--bonus!) and sheer in colour, I can pull 'em out of my purse any time and apply without a mirror. It's relatively moisturizing but don't expect any miracles. To all you on-the-go gals out there, try one!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Packaging is cute, but ridiculously excessive and unnecessary. From the cardboard tube it comes in, I thought it was going to be a chubbier lip balm, but it's the same size as any old chap stick.
The tints are a joke. Even Dahlia, the darkest shade, doesn't show up on me. I expected to be able to see at least a hint of color, but alas. Nothing.
This is basically an $8 Smackers. Even the scent and heavy, glossy feeling. I gave them to my sister, who threw them away after two days.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/12/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Lilil95

These smell awful, are gritty and do not moisturize the lips at all. I do not recommend them at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 5:22:00 PM More reviews by chantililly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've done it! I've found my holy grail of lip products!

I naturally have quite pink lips, but it lacks a bit of something when I have a full face of makeup and my lips are bare. For me and lip products, it's all or nothing-- either I'm going to go all out and wear teal green or lavender or some other bright unnatural colour, or I want a very understated, fresh, natural looking lip.

Sadly bright unnatural lip colours are not suitable for many or even most occasions unless you're unemployed, have a very forgiving job, or actually work in the makeup and fashion industry. However, I'd given up long ago on finding a lip product that would just be "my lips but better". Lipsticks were too opaque and too obviously lipsticks. Glosses were too goopy, glassy, tinted one way or another, or just plain unnatural looking, plus I hate the feeling of gloss on my lips. Then of course there was always the disgusting taste whenever you accidentally swallow something like that, and after I found out about the toxic chemicals in most major brand lipsticks, I thought they and I were done for good. It was just me and nude lips or Portland Lipstick Company's bizarre range of colours from now on. In my position, this mostly just means nude lips.

However, when I found a review for this lip balm in "dahlia" it just seemed to good to pass up. When I discovered that they had a "rose" colour, I was even more delighted. I immediately ordered a tube of Rose, and what do you know? It's perfect. There is nothing about it which I do not like. It's totally natural, so no toxic chemicals and I'm not afraid to swallow a bit by accident if I'm eating. It smells like fruit and roses. It doesn't taste so great, but nowhere near as bad as lipstick.

But the best thing is the colour. If you buy this expecting bright opaque shine then you're going to be disappointed, but it does exactly what it says and it's buildable. It's sheer, but quite pigmented- if it gets very cold then a "Let the Right One In" grey-lipped look isn't going to be a problem with this lip balm around. With one coat I have balmy, rosy, but totally natural looking lips. With two, bright and natural rosy pink-- a bit of a, um, "glowing" sort of look actually. The sort of colour my lips and cheeks go when I've just eaten chillis or when, well, you know. The magic happens with a thicker coat, built up in a circular motion-- it looks like bright, glossy red lipstick. But it somehow still looks natural; don't even ask me how.

It is, very literally, my lips but better. It's the perfect look to complete either minimal no-makeup makeup or full special occasion makeup, without ever looking too made-up for an understated look, too undone for an over-the-top look, too nude for a natural eye, or too attention-grabbing for bold eye makeup. There is no look with which I can imagine this being inappropriate and because it's such a natural colour, no colour scheme with which I wouldn't think it would go.

My one quibble is that it does seem to be a bit drying: I think it's the lanolin. This is easily corrected by dampening my lips and patting a tiny bit of olive oil on underneath the balm, and for someone who didn't have such dry and sensitive skin I can't imagine it ever being a problem. For the amazing colour and finish I'm more than willing to devote a little extra time to lip care.

I just love this stuff. I'm utterly converted.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2013 11:39:00 PM More reviews by adara260

Bought this product because I wanted something tinted and moisturizing but didn't want to spend the money on something more expensive. Fell in love with the color name, sweet violet.

Pros:The product is moisturizing. The color tint is substantial. Its not as opaque as a lipstick but definitely not sheer like a lip gloss, leaning more on the opaque side.

Cons: My only qualms about this product was that the packaging sucks. One- why does it come in such a huge cardboard exterior cover? Two- the stage (up and down mechanism) is broken already and I've had it for about two months without daily use. I can still use it OK but that's just annoying.

Overall: I would buy this product again but I would wait until there is a sale or a coupon.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by astrick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this lip balm. As I get older, I find that I don't like using traditional lipstick. It's too drying and emphasizes fine lines around the mouth. I love the feel of gloss, but many of them are too sheer and hubby won't kiss me when I wear shiny lip gloss.

This lip balm gives just the right amount of color and moisturizes lips without being too slick. The Hibiscus color is very flattering and has become my everyday go to lipstick.

I will say... my skin is pale to medium and I use the Hibiscus color. The Dalhia Red was too dark for me.

I'm rating the price as 1 lippie - although it's more expensive than other lip balms on the market (about $6) , it's less expensive than lipstick and I get two uses in one product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2013 2:49:00 AM More reviews by delias29

Pros: lovely texture, lovely hint of colour. Natural looking, great hydration (love it even when I'm holidaying in dry climates). A stick lasts a long time.

Cons: wish the colour lasted longer on the lips. Kinda wish the colours were exactly like the packaging. Wish there was an SPF

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2013 5:23:00 AM More reviews by blondebum

Having already loved the original Burt's Bees lip balm i decided to try the tinted collection and see what all the hype was about. I bought the color 'Tiger Lily' which is a nude color that i can wear day and night and makes my lips appear fuller. It moisturizes and conditions my chapped lips while also providing an even coverage. So happy to have bought this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 12:47:00 AM More reviews by zcoop

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried a few of the tinted lip balms out when they were first released and I liked the colors and the great combo of shine/matte and the near-perfect amount of tint. In the past year I've gone searching for better and different alternatives and decided to try as many different types and brands of chubby lip colors as I could find.

Surprisingly, none of the chubby lipsticks are really as easy, inexpensive and well-pigmented (without a blinding amount of shine after the necessary amount of coverage) as the Burt's Bees lip balms!

The pros of this product are the new colors like Sweet Violet and the still-great colors like Rose and Red Dahlia; somehow they all work with my super-fair skin and are just simply more attractive on than similarly-shaded lipsticks and chubby sticks. I like the simple cardboard packaging and the chapstick-style tubes. They offer a tasteless, odorless moisturizer for the lips that is simple to reapply without a mirror. They do need to be reapplied fairly often but some of the color stays behind after the moisture is gone but fades easily without any cleaners.

One con is in Burt's Bees' refusal to put a strip or dot of color on the plastic shell; it's a pain to have to read the tiny letters against the dark brown plastic, and from a few inches away it's impossible to tell what color/s you're grabbing.

The only other cons are just that this product is so almost-perfect and could easily get there, but I'm not sure if the company plans to give them a little more pigment (thus making them an obvious and real competitor for any truly popular stains and lip colors out there right now) and perhaps change the packaging to something a little more cosmetic-y.

I've tried the newer Burt's Bees lip products and they all have so much shine, so I'm really hoping they keep this one around and don't blend it into so many of their previous and newer lip shines.

I highly recommend giving these a try with and without makeup; they are great either way and the colors are unique. They are truly working with some gorgeous and extremely natural looking colors that no other company is using. They are relatively inexpensive (though small), and you just really can't go wrong--though I'm not a huge fan of the super-light/neutral shades simply because it's just like putting a clear glossy chap stick on, more or less. But anything from Pink Blossom on is just lovely and suited to any look.

After "kissing" a lot of well-reviewed and expensive lip-product "frogs," the tinted lip balm is definitely the unsung "prince"!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/10/2013 1:13:00 AM More reviews by berrycurious

Within 5-10 minutes, the color (I got hibiscus) is faded and my lips feel slightly drier than they were before applying this (though they look and feel lovely when I do put it on). After about an hour, my lips are so dry they flake up a bit--I constantly have to fix my lips by peeling off the dried skin or they look awful. Ugh. the pomegranate lip balm is def. better.