October 24, 2014 | 1557 users online

Lip Treatments - Burt's Bees - Tinted Lip Balm

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2013 9:57:00 PM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The Red Dhalia is my HG of Chapstick. Ok well almost. I really wish this had SPF. Very moisturizing. Nice feel too it not as waxy as Chapstick but not as sticky as lipgloss. This has plenty of color for me but I've only tried the darkest shade.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by eunoia93

Why I love it:
I love this product mostly because of the colors it comes in. I own hibiscus and pink blossom which are both GREAT MLBB shades for me. And UNLIKE say, Revlon lip butters or SUGAR tinted lip treatment, it's a lot easier to get an even / neat application without looking in the mirror (and in general). So it's super low maintenance which is what I expect from a tinted lip balm / stain type product.

Also, assuming the color suits you, it gives a completely natural looking finish but is still pigmented enough for noticeable color.

So, I just love the way it looks and how easy it is to put on. The color hibiscus is unique too and mainly why I'll continue to repurchase. I can't describe the color or find something similar but it suits my yellow-undertone skin really well. Pink blossom is a very natural looking pink on me in one swipe but if I build it up it becomes more "bubblegum" like against my skin tone.

Extra bonus is that it's paraben free and all natural (if you're one concerned about those things.
----------------

The cons (?):

The product comes in a standard lip balm / chapstick like tube, so not particularly glamorous looking if you like that sort of thing. Super portable though.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2013 1:36:00 AM More reviews by cloudsofviolet

I have Red Dahlia and Sweet Violet. They are definitely on the sheer side, even for tinted balms. I like this, as they tint my lips and brighten them up, rather than looking like I have product on my lips. Red Dahlia is a deep red with brown tones, and Sweet Violet is a bright rosy fuschia with mauve undertones. Red Dahlia makes my lips look like they are naturally red, and Sweet Violet gives a sheer rosy fuschia tint. * They are moisturizing, unlike a lot of other tinted balms and glosses I've tried.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by sunnyonne1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love em all. Especially in cold NY winter. My old dry lips appreciate the soothe, and all the colors work for me. My newest fave color is Sweet Violet....just a touch of cool tone makes this one a notch above the rest. I don't mind the reapply. No mirror needed.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by anotherwise

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It's my first Burt's Bees product, and not the last. After a decade of cheaper drugstore lip balms, I am very impressed how soft these make my lips. Even after months (!) of use. Can I kiss myself, please?

But happiness comes with a price. It's about 5 times more expensive than drug store brands (in my country); and yet, it's not 5 times more effective! 2 times or 3 times, but certainly not 5. Such is the scam of the beauty industry! Price and worth is not linear.

But I look pretty. I'm happy. Besides, there's a lot of other products more expensive than this! I don't want to give this up, despite the price. It's an HG.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by bloodyroses

OMG. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! I'm not one for high-maintenance lip colour. I often don't carry a mirror with me when I'm out (I'm a light packer) but because of my love of makeup and beauty products, there's always a magnetism for lip products that exists. I've been looking for a tinted balm for awhile and doing some research to see what kinds of things are out there. I'm always wary of buying higher-end lip products because I will use them less than 10 times and give up because my lips are always in such horrible condition or I just can't be bothered to touch up my lip colour throughout the day. I also have a teeth-gnashing hate for sticky lip products (lip gloss? NOOOOOO.). I ended up buying this Burt's Bees tinted balm on a whim--my first colour was Rose. And then the next day, I went and bought two more: Sweet Violet and Red Dahlia. My lips are very pigmented and these balms are exactly what they are--tinted and sheer. There is just enough colour and shine for me to look polished. And because they are just like plain old twist-up balms (with the tube looking reminiscent of the Laura Mercier tinted balms--bonus!) and sheer in colour, I can pull 'em out of my purse any time and apply without a mirror. It's relatively moisturizing but don't expect any miracles. To all you on-the-go gals out there, try one!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Packaging is cute, but ridiculously excessive and unnecessary. From the cardboard tube it comes in, I thought it was going to be a chubbier lip balm, but it's the same size as any old chap stick.
The tints are a joke. Even Dahlia, the darkest shade, doesn't show up on me. I expected to be able to see at least a hint of color, but alas. Nothing.
This is basically an $8 Smackers. Even the scent and heavy, glossy feeling. I gave them to my sister, who threw them away after two days.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/12/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Lilil95

These smell awful, are gritty and do not moisturize the lips at all. I do not recommend them at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 5:22:00 PM More reviews by chantililly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've done it! I've found my holy grail of lip products!

I naturally have quite pink lips, but it lacks a bit of something when I have a full face of makeup and my lips are bare. For me and lip products, it's all or nothing-- either I'm going to go all out and wear teal green or lavender or some other bright unnatural colour, or I want a very understated, fresh, natural looking lip.

Sadly bright unnatural lip colours are not suitable for many or even most occasions unless you're unemployed, have a very forgiving job, or actually work in the makeup and fashion industry. However, I'd given up long ago on finding a lip product that would just be "my lips but better". Lipsticks were too opaque and too obviously lipsticks. Glosses were too goopy, glassy, tinted one way or another, or just plain unnatural looking, plus I hate the feeling of gloss on my lips. Then of course there was always the disgusting taste whenever you accidentally swallow something like that, and after I found out about the toxic chemicals in most major brand lipsticks, I thought they and I were done for good. It was just me and nude lips or Portland Lipstick Company's bizarre range of colours from now on. In my position, this mostly just means nude lips.

However, when I found a review for this lip balm in "dahlia" it just seemed to good to pass up. When I discovered that they had a "rose" colour, I was even more delighted. I immediately ordered a tube of Rose, and what do you know? It's perfect. There is nothing about it which I do not like. It's totally natural, so no toxic chemicals and I'm not afraid to swallow a bit by accident if I'm eating. It smells like fruit and roses. It doesn't taste so great, but nowhere near as bad as lipstick.

But the best thing is the colour. If you buy this expecting bright opaque shine then you're going to be disappointed, but it does exactly what it says and it's buildable. It's sheer, but quite pigmented- if it gets very cold then a "Let the Right One In" grey-lipped look isn't going to be a problem with this lip balm around. With one coat I have balmy, rosy, but totally natural looking lips. With two, bright and natural rosy pink-- a bit of a, um, "glowing" sort of look actually. The sort of colour my lips and cheeks go when I've just eaten chillis or when, well, you know. The magic happens with a thicker coat, built up in a circular motion-- it looks like bright, glossy red lipstick. But it somehow still looks natural; don't even ask me how.

It is, very literally, my lips but better. It's the perfect look to complete either minimal no-makeup makeup or full special occasion makeup, without ever looking too made-up for an understated look, too undone for an over-the-top look, too nude for a natural eye, or too attention-grabbing for bold eye makeup. There is no look with which I can imagine this being inappropriate and because it's such a natural colour, no colour scheme with which I wouldn't think it would go.

My one quibble is that it does seem to be a bit drying: I think it's the lanolin. This is easily corrected by dampening my lips and patting a tiny bit of olive oil on underneath the balm, and for someone who didn't have such dry and sensitive skin I can't imagine it ever being a problem. For the amazing colour and finish I'm more than willing to devote a little extra time to lip care.

I just love this stuff. I'm utterly converted.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2013 11:39:00 PM More reviews by adara260

Bought this product because I wanted something tinted and moisturizing but didn't want to spend the money on something more expensive. Fell in love with the color name, sweet violet.

Pros:The product is moisturizing. The color tint is substantial. Its not as opaque as a lipstick but definitely not sheer like a lip gloss, leaning more on the opaque side.

Cons: My only qualms about this product was that the packaging sucks. One- why does it come in such a huge cardboard exterior cover? Two- the stage (up and down mechanism) is broken already and I've had it for about two months without daily use. I can still use it OK but that's just annoying.

Overall: I would buy this product again but I would wait until there is a sale or a coupon.