Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 25% Mandelic Acid Peel

4.4

Purified water, mandelic acid, SD alcohol, witch hazel distillate, propylene glycol, malic acid, butylene glycol, hydropropylcellulose, green tea extract, hops, horsetail plant, lemongrass, goldenseal. 8/16/11

on 11/5/2014 2:41:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

OMG!!! YAY!!! I'm so glad I tried this product line. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this peel. I was a little nervous at first to try it, I thought it would burn or really dry out my skin.

The first time I used this, I left it on for 2 minutes. It had a warming sensation, but not a burning feel. Rinsed well, moisturized afterwards and waited for a disaster to happen the next day. I had visions of me waking up with peeling, nastiness. Instead...nothing. I admit, I was a little bummed. I felt this product was a bust...until later that day...I noticed slight peeling. By the end of day 2, I had a few sections of peeling...but nothing to freak out about. I was able to still wear makeup and not look horrid. By day 4 all the peeling had stopped and my skin looked AMAZING!!!

I've done this peel 3 times. Each time, I've left it on a litte longer. Now I'm up to 5 minutes and my skin looks amazing. People can not believe I'm 37 (going on 38 next week) and a mother of 6 (4 boys, 2 girls). They compliment me on how my skin glows and looks flawless.

This peel has helped even out my skin tone and get rid of the acne scars I received from the Clinique products I was using. I have since stomped on them and tossed.

I'm thrilled with each and every product from Makeup Artist Choice I have tried...and I will continue to love each one!

on 10/31/2014 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

best chemical exfoliator I've ever used!! I will never use anything else!! I followed the instructions step by step and got clear glowing skin :) I've always had an issue with gunk and congested pores on my nose and in less than two minutes I got rid of the problem. If you use it consistently, you will get amazing results and can permanently fix a lot of issue with your complexion, I will use this forever! SO HAPPY!

on 10/28/2014 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Simply amazing! Lived up to the hype! Did not sting like glycolics at all, and yet it gave me more noticeable results. My skin was glowing! It was so smooth and I haven't had any breakouts at all. I've only been using for two weeks with two treatments, but it has done wonders for my skin. My oil production is even down with no harsh overactive oil glands pumping feverntly to make up for suppression lol! I was even asked what kind of luminous foundation I was wearing and I wasn't wearing any! I finally have my pre puberty skin back.

on 10/23/2014 4:36:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Update about 3 weeks later: I'm only giving this 1 lippie cause I have to in order to actually leave a review. I had it at 2 lippies but I'm knocking it down because when they made a post on their Facebook page about this peel and I commented and said it didn't do anything for my skin and no improvement at all, they deleted my comment and disabled my ability to even comment on their page. What a horrible thing to do to a customer. I wasn't rude, didn't cuss or anything else, just honest about my personal experience but they deleted my comment for some unknown reason. I won't be buying from them again because of this, what a horrible thing to do to a customer. If of course you have good results I'm sure they will allow your comment to stay on their Facebook page but not if you say something negative like what I said.
No no no! I'm so pissed that I spent a little over $17 for this and that was with a 30% off sale MUAC was having. I was dumb and thought I'd buy a bigger bottle than their sample bottle which was really stupid of me, I should have bought the sample bottle just to see how my results would be.
The reason why my rating is so low is because I was advised via MUAC Facebook page to send them an email to consult with them about my skin so I did that. I told them my skin is acne prone and somewhat oily in certain areas but that my main issue is acne scars and I said they're not the hyperpigmentation kind but the pock mark kind and that is what I'm wanting to treat, the pock marks. And they advised me to get mandelic acid which after I ordered and got my package and did some research I found out mandelic acid won't help pock marks at all. This really infuriates me cause I let MUAC know what it was I wanted to treat: MY POCK MARKS and they recommend mandelic acid, WTF!
So I did my peel last Saturday not only on my face but also on my entire back too cause I suffer from bacne and within a few hours I had a few deep pimples forming under the skin on my neck, luckily they didn't get very big but they did come to a head eventually and I coul pop them and I'm still breaking out here and there but they're just small pimples here and there and luckily and nothing too bad. I'm still breaking out and was told mandelic acid helps treat acne, this was told to me by MUAC during my consult, yes it's really helped to treat me acne *eyeroll* I'm sure I'm going to be told it takes time, you'll need to do it more than once to see results and all that other BS companies love to tell their customers.
Overall, no, I would not recommend this to anyone who is trying to treat pock marks or any other skin condition because I don't think this is very effective imo. I ordered their 18% TCA peel and will be doing that this weekend and hopefully will see some results. I did order MUAC mandelic toner and I think that is a good product but I'm still on the fence if I like it or not enough to repurchase but I think if any of you are wanting to incorporate mandelic acid into your facial regimen than try their mandeilc acid toner instead of the mandelic acid peel.
Pros:
+Fast shipping, ordered on Friday with 30% off code from their FB page, Monday was a holiday and i receieved it on Wednesday. That was amazing.
+Best prices around when I compared their prices to other skin care companies.
+Frequent sales.
+Real products that are not of questionable grade and ingredients, meaning industrial strength chemicals that are not meant to be applied to the skin and are meant for other purposes such as TCA which in industrial form is meant to strip metal of rust and other contaminants.
+Trustworthy products, not questionable stuff you'd buy from Ebay
Cons:
-Their service reps who you consult with don't pay attention to your skin care desires and steer you in the direction to buy products that will not treat the problem you are wanting to address.
-Questionable effectiveness of their products that are stated in the product description online.

I may buy again from this company because they do seem like a great and honest company but that is to be determined on the effectiveness of the TCA peel I will be doing. I will also use this peel as needed to see if I need to give it some more tries before seeing any results. I'm also changing my mind to a 2 lippie because although I thought I hadn't seen any changes I have. I've had less oil production which is huge for me but my skin is kind of dry right now because of this peel which is welcome because of the oil production I've had.
I will update this review as I've used this peel more and more which is what you're suppose to use occasionally after a TCA peel "to help maintain results from your TCA peel" as I've read from MUAC site.
Do not get this if you're trying to treat pock marks, when I think of acne scars I think of pock marks. This won't do anything for pock marks you have.

on 9/16/2014 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have tried most of MAUCs products including multiple strengths of sacrilyic acid, glycolic, latic, TCA, retinol and I'm well versed in ingredients. I do a routine aspirin mask, and use other brands/products like alpha hydrox-glycolic lotion, benzoyl peroxide and skin whitener when I have hyperpigmentation.

I would say that for me the 25% mandelic acid and 3% sacrilyic/bha are the most dramatic skin products I own with no downtime or pain. Out of these two mandelic is the one I would recommend to others. (I would say the sacrilyic acid/bha is specific to me because I have oily skin). I have used the 40% as well and while it works the same way I can use the 25% more often before starting to drying out or light peeling of my skin, therefore enjoying that glow, for a longer period of time. A classic example of why stronger isn't always better

This peel is very light and gives a shiny, dewy glow to the skin. In one day thatís pretty amazing. Bigger problems, like wrinkles, pitting, hyperpigmentation are not affected by this peel as it is a lighter peel but the overall tone of your face will improve so drastically you won't care. I have had very light flaking a couple days after use but not true peeling with ridiculous downtime. I can do this two times a week, possibly more without my skin being angry at me.

I will say if your new to peels this a good intro. If youíre well versed in strong peels it may feel like applying toner more than anything else. Either way you will still see great results. Always do a patch test and work your way up to your appropriate level! I would never suggest this as a starting point for anyone new to any peel, but I simply leave it on my skin without washing off and don't have any difficulties.

I checked yes to buying this product again but what I really mean is if I run out of this product and other products at the same time.....this is my priority. If your new to MAUC keep in mind that oftentimes on holidays they do 25% off, so stock up at one time. They are a fantastic company and they're customer service is amazing. The only drawback to most of their products is the minimal packaging. I have more than once lost my entire product down the drain. So what I do is I buy a lot of product and then put a little at a time in smaller usable bottles. Because I like to experiment with the packaging I might try putting this product in a roller ball packaging, so I can apply directly to skin.

**update they now have a serum, mandelic/sacylic peel, and a wash that I'm going to try. I also recently came upon interesting information on Paula Begoun's website about mandelic being an average, aha ingredient. I will explore more.

on 9/15/2014 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

If your looking for a first time face peel just to brighten and even out skintone or just to use as a first time peel, I highly suggest this one. It's not harsh on the skin, it's easy to apply, and does not sting half as much as the stronger ones. I have used mandelic and salicylic and glycolic peels. The best in my opinion is the mandelic and glycolic, depending on your needs. The glycolic is perfect for evening out skintone and getting rid of scars and blemishes over time, but you will most likely see results after your first use and after the skin has healed. There is definitely more shedding with glycolic vs mandelic. Some people dont shed skin with mandelic acic 25%, but for me I usually start seeing fine pieces of skin shedding after a couple days, especially after I apply foundation. The mandelic can be used every 4 days, some use it twice a week. I don't see a problem with either.

Overall, I would buy this mandelic acid again. I am using a second bottle as we speak.

on 9/7/2014 2:07:00 PM

I've used this peel four times, spaced about four days out, and my skin tone is significantly more even. The day after my first use, I noticed that the majority of my acne was on its way out. By the third day, there was no active acne at all. For that, I'm incredibly impressed.

I do peel, however, with every use. I'm OK with that because the peeling is not very noticeable and I often get rid of the flakes with tape before I put my makeup on. Luckily, the tape method has no adverse affects and doesn't make my skin feel raw.

This peel has helped to fade dark spots so well, I've been able to get away with just tinted moisturizer and a light dusting of powder on some days as opposed to foundation like I had before. My makeup goes on so much more smoothly and my skin is much more brighter.

I bought the 1 ounce bottle and use a q-tip dipped in the solution and apply first to my forehead, then work downwards. It's a watery consistency, but I never had any issues with it being so sopping wet that it creates problems. I leave it on about five minutes, sometimes longer if I want a better peel, then wash it off with the green tea cleanser they provided.

Highly recommend this product and I want to get more!

on 9/3/2014 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

after using this for a few weeks i finally have a good grasp on the peel and am able to review it. my skin has mild acne "dents" and large pores. occasional pimple. i have also used 18% TCA

day 1: i received it in the mail and immediatlely washed my face and prepped it for the peel. i poured a few drop in my palm and put my hands together to distribute the liquid into both hands and then put both of my hands against my cheeks for a few seconds. i put a few more drops on my forehead. it dried almost instantly. i left it on for 5 minutes and instead of washing it off, i put an oil fee moisturizer on top and left my skin alone.

day2: my skin is glowing! i noticed a small red welp on my cheek. it wasnt raised. it didnt hurt and it instantly went away the next day. this has only happened once. my acne scars and dents were all even.

day3: this day i noticed very mild and faint peeling. nothing bad but still hard to wear foundation. my acne dents were noticable again but my over all skin was brighter, more even and VERY soft.

conclusion: ive been using this peel for a few weeks 2-3 times a week and its a cycle. every time i use the mandelic acid, its the same exact thing as i listed above. its not a miracle worker. it wont solve all of your problems. but what it will do is help micro exfoliate for brighter smoother skin. and maybe with long term use, help mild acne scars. its fool proof and very easy to use.

update: i still love this and i believe its been helping my faint acne scars. (colored scars and dents) and i still stand firm that this absolutely keeps my skin clear. also ive never had another "welp" incident.

on 9/2/2014 9:27:00 AM

I am not exaggerating when I say this stuff fixed my skin! I had been having some issues, the result being constant clogging, with minor acne but lots of scarring from it (the unfortunate side effect of olive toned skin). In about a month of regular use of this peel, my skin is 100% clear, smooth, and glowy - and the scarring has faded DRASTICALLY.

I started out using it in conjunction with the mandelic acid toner, but the alcohol in it proved too drying, especially in tandem with the peel. (I now use the toner to keep my back and chest clear - for which it is super duper effective.) The first week I used it the way the instructions told me to - dipping a q-tip in the watery mix, I rolled it over my face and rinsed it off after a few minutes. I noticed an improvement in the texture of my skin the next morning, but the first week or so I definitely dealt with dry, flaky skin and some redness. I stopped using the toner and that helped. Eventually, my skin got used to it.

How I use it now: At night, I apply it to my entire face about twice a week. I don't rinse it off a this point. The rest of the week, I put some only on trouble spots. In the morning, I mix a couple drops with my moisturizer and use that all over my face. To be clear, my skin is hardy and loves constant exfoliation. This routine would probably be too much for a lot of people. But, in a month, my skin has gone from a hot mess to near flawless. This is a great product and I'll never be without it. Final verdict. AND - it's not even expensive.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Adore this stuff for how effective and gentle it is. My skin has always reacted well to mandelic acid, even when other treatments were too harsh. After battling some major skin issues in the last year, I've found this to be my holy grail product when it comes to preventing acne and healing hyperpigmentation when it's used regularly. This isn't an overnight fix, but stuff with serious skin really can't be and I'd rather take it slow and gentle than use something really harsh. I've been using a one ounce bottle since March and now in July I have about 1/3rd left after using it for at least once a week. In that time, I've been able to fix most hyper pigmentation on my face and clear up some stubborn clogs that wouldn't have budged otherwise.

Using it is pretty simple, I just use an ear safe cotton swab, dip it into the bottle, and then roll it across my face, and leave it on for 3-4 minutes. The peel itself has a texture the same as water, so it can be runny and you don't need very much at all to cover your face. I then just rinse off with water and pat dry and follow up with your favorite moisturizer. I like to add a layer of vaseline on top just to make sure my skin is extra hydrated the day after. Worst side effect I've had is a bit of pink in my skin and a bit of flakiness. Nothing painful or that would prevent you from going about your average day.

Just some general tips with peels:
- Test patch this before use, as with any acid product. Better to know you have a problem in a small place on your face than have a major reaction all over.
- Follow MUAC's advice with discontinuing other acids (a lot sneak into cleansers too!) and retinoids before using this, more is not better with acids and mixing and matching can really mess up your skin's pH. You can call/email MUAC with specific questions.
- This peel has bare bones packaging, but it is easier to just screw the lid off to get to the peel. The pop lid can get stuck and overpour product onto whatever you use. Just take care making sure you screw the lid back on tight so you won't lose any peel to evaporation.