Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 25% Mandelic Acid Peel

4.3

Purified water, mandelic acid, SD alcohol, witch hazel distillate, propylene glycol, malic acid, butylene glycol, hydropropylcellulose, green tea extract, hops, horsetail plant, lemongrass, goldenseal. 8/16/11

I am on the "love" side of the aisle on this one. I had literally never tried a peel before (not at home, not professionally) so this was my first foray into peels and I am so glad I took the plunge. I purchased the sample bottle first and was surprised by the large number (5, I think) of treatments I got out of it for just a few bucks. What a great way to try this product. I use this product every Saturday night after gently cleansing my face. I use a Qtip to apply, starting at the top of my face and working downward. I put on a heavy lip blam first to protect my lips (which are way dry to begin with). I set my cell phone timer for 4:30 because the stuff I put on my face first has already then been on my skin for 30 seconds by the time I finish applying to my whole face and I don't want to risk "overprocessing." I then rinse it off with lukewarm water and a washcloth, that's it. My skin feels the smoothest its ever been and it has a glow. I used to be huge into manual exfoliation, which I still am, but I never even understood what people meant by getting their skin to "glow" because mine never did. I have had acne-prone, oily skin since 5th grade, which has cost me thousands of dollars in OTC treatments and doctors visits. Although my skin has been much clearer lately due to getting a Rx oral and OTC product regimine dialed in, this is something I will not be without and wish I had tried so much sooner. My acne scar/ discoloration marks are definitely fading and my skin texture is also better. I also think it is helping keep breakouts at bay. If you are on the fence about this, buy the sample and give it a try. Be sure to follow the directions because this is not a "more is better product." I would like to add that I actually do not "peel" in the physical sense at all when I use this, which is interesting because I actually do not usually put on moisturizer the same night: I enjoy the feeling of my clean, unclogged pores so much I can't bear the thought of gunking them up with moisturizer right away! I went online today and bought the full size of this and also the sample of the 40%. I can't wait to give that a try as well. I also bought the hyuralonic acid serum last time in sample size and when that runs out, I plan to buy the full size as well. As I said before, I'm adding these products to my skin care regimine and never plan to be without. And why I should I go without, their prices are crazy cheap! The only reason I did not give this 5 lippies is I'm waiting to see if I like the 40% better. If not, I'll be bumping the rating of this to a 5.

This is a nice, easy peel for those who are new to acid peels at home. It's good for people with acne (it's antimicrobial and antibacterial), it's good for darker skintones (several other peels are not, always be sure to check first!), it's good for hyperpigmentation (post acne discoloration or sunspots), and it's probably the most gentle peel sold on the MUAC website (it takes longer to penetrate your skin, so less chance of irritation) - it even works for people with rosacea! AND as a super mild peel, this one is probably the least likely out of all the ones they sell to actual cause your skin to peel/flake (it still could though, so don't do this the day before a big event!)

This peel is NOT for people who have actual acne scars (small or larger indentations in your skin from previous acne), and it probably won't do a lot (if anything) on deeper wrinkles.

When you try this peel, make sure you follow their directions closely until you are comfortable with using peels and how they affect your skin. Even though this one is mild, it's still an acid, and you can damage your skin if you aren't careful.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I am torn about this product. It was a great entry into at home chemical peels. I applied every Sunday as part of my at home facial routine. At first, my skin would tingle and burn on contact and I would need to neutralize and wash off after 30 seconds. Now, after 5 months, I have begun to apply it with a Q tip only on the sun spots on my cheekbones and the acne scarring on my jawline as needed, or every other day. I definitely use in strict conjunction with a high spf sunscreen. Now I just apply and leave it on the spots overnight, sometimes applying a moisturizing mask overtop.

I have noticed a difference in my skin's overall texture. It is smoother and clearer in general. But the sun spot on my cheek and the acne scarring I wanted gone are still there. I guess I will need a stronger peel for those.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This thrashed my skin upon first application, inviting a desert of flakiness all over the spot-"treated" areas of my face, which took more than a week and a tub of moisturiser to remedy. In others words I never got to reap the benefits of this product because the side effects totally took over. I am glad my skin is sensible enough to vehemently disdain SD Alcohol and Witch Hazel (the most probable culprits in this product, my skin has been tolerating mandelic very well otherwise) since anyway they haven't got a good track record as far as skin health goes. Product has an off-putting, eye-stinging, pungent smell and already went from liquid form to white crust last time I opened the bottle to throw it away from me.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

OMG!!! YAY!!! I'm so glad I tried this product line. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this peel. I was a little nervous at first to try it, I thought it would burn or really dry out my skin.

The first time I used this, I left it on for 2 minutes. It had a warming sensation, but not a burning feel. Rinsed well, moisturized afterwards and waited for a disaster to happen the next day. I had visions of me waking up with peeling, nastiness. Instead...nothing. I admit, I was a little bummed. I felt this product was a bust...until later that day...I noticed slight peeling. By the end of day 2, I had a few sections of peeling...but nothing to freak out about. I was able to still wear makeup and not look horrid. By day 4 all the peeling had stopped and my skin looked AMAZING!!!

I've done this peel 3 times. Each time, I've left it on a litte longer. Now I'm up to 5 minutes and my skin looks amazing. People can not believe I'm 37 (going on 38 next week) and a mother of 6 (4 boys, 2 girls). They compliment me on how my skin glows and looks flawless.

This peel has helped even out my skin tone and get rid of the acne scars I received from the Clinique products I was using. I have since stomped on them and tossed.

I'm thrilled with each and every product from Makeup Artist Choice I have tried...and I will continue to love each one!

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

best chemical exfoliator I've ever used!! I will never use anything else!! I followed the instructions step by step and got clear glowing skin :) I've always had an issue with gunk and congested pores on my nose and in less than two minutes I got rid of the problem. If you use it consistently, you will get amazing results and can permanently fix a lot of issue with your complexion, I will use this forever! SO HAPPY!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Simply amazing! Lived up to the hype! Did not sting like glycolics at all, and yet it gave me more noticeable results. My skin was glowing! It was so smooth and I haven't had any breakouts at all. I've only been using for two weeks with two treatments, but it has done wonders for my skin. My oil production is even down with no harsh overactive oil glands pumping feverntly to make up for suppression lol! I was even asked what kind of luminous foundation I was wearing and I wasn't wearing any! I finally have my pre puberty skin back.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Update about 3 weeks later: I'm only giving this 1 lippie cause I have to in order to actually leave a review. I had it at 2 lippies but I'm knocking it down because when they made a post on their Facebook page about this peel and I commented and said it didn't do anything for my skin and no improvement at all, they deleted my comment and disabled my ability to even comment on their page. What a horrible thing to do to a customer. I wasn't rude, didn't cuss or anything else, just honest about my personal experience but they deleted my comment for some unknown reason. I won't be buying from them again because of this, what a horrible thing to do to a customer. If of course you have good results I'm sure they will allow your comment to stay on their Facebook page but not if you say something negative like what I said.
No no no! I'm so pissed that I spent a little over $17 for this and that was with a 30% off sale MUAC was having. I was dumb and thought I'd buy a bigger bottle than their sample bottle which was really stupid of me, I should have bought the sample bottle just to see how my results would be.
The reason why my rating is so low is because I was advised via MUAC Facebook page to send them an email to consult with them about my skin so I did that. I told them my skin is acne prone and somewhat oily in certain areas but that my main issue is acne scars and I said they're not the hyperpigmentation kind but the pock mark kind and that is what I'm wanting to treat, the pock marks. And they advised me to get mandelic acid which after I ordered and got my package and did some research I found out mandelic acid won't help pock marks at all. This really infuriates me cause I let MUAC know what it was I wanted to treat: MY POCK MARKS and they recommend mandelic acid, WTF!
So I did my peel last Saturday not only on my face but also on my entire back too cause I suffer from bacne and within a few hours I had a few deep pimples forming under the skin on my neck, luckily they didn't get very big but they did come to a head eventually and I coul pop them and I'm still breaking out here and there but they're just small pimples here and there and luckily and nothing too bad. I'm still breaking out and was told mandelic acid helps treat acne, this was told to me by MUAC during my consult, yes it's really helped to treat me acne *eyeroll* I'm sure I'm going to be told it takes time, you'll need to do it more than once to see results and all that other BS companies love to tell their customers.
Overall, no, I would not recommend this to anyone who is trying to treat pock marks or any other skin condition because I don't think this is very effective imo. I ordered their 18% TCA peel and will be doing that this weekend and hopefully will see some results. I did order MUAC mandelic toner and I think that is a good product but I'm still on the fence if I like it or not enough to repurchase but I think if any of you are wanting to incorporate mandelic acid into your facial regimen than try their mandeilc acid toner instead of the mandelic acid peel.
Pros:
+Fast shipping, ordered on Friday with 30% off code from their FB page, Monday was a holiday and i receieved it on Wednesday. That was amazing.
+Best prices around when I compared their prices to other skin care companies.
+Frequent sales.
+Real products that are not of questionable grade and ingredients, meaning industrial strength chemicals that are not meant to be applied to the skin and are meant for other purposes such as TCA which in industrial form is meant to strip metal of rust and other contaminants.
+Trustworthy products, not questionable stuff you'd buy from Ebay
Cons:
-Their service reps who you consult with don't pay attention to your skin care desires and steer you in the direction to buy products that will not treat the problem you are wanting to address.
-Questionable effectiveness of their products that are stated in the product description online.

I may buy again from this company because they do seem like a great and honest company but that is to be determined on the effectiveness of the TCA peel I will be doing. I will also use this peel as needed to see if I need to give it some more tries before seeing any results. I'm also changing my mind to a 2 lippie because although I thought I hadn't seen any changes I have. I've had less oil production which is huge for me but my skin is kind of dry right now because of this peel which is welcome because of the oil production I've had.
I will update this review as I've used this peel more and more which is what you're suppose to use occasionally after a TCA peel "to help maintain results from your TCA peel" as I've read from MUAC site.
Do not get this if you're trying to treat pock marks, when I think of acne scars I think of pock marks. This won't do anything for pock marks you have.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have tried most of MAUCs products including multiple strengths of sacilyic acid, glycolic, latic, TCA, retinol and am well versed in ingredients. I use other brands/products like alpha hydrox-glycolic lotion, benzoyl peroxide and skin lighteners when I have hyperpigmentation.

This peel is very light and gives a shiny, dewy glow to the skin. In one day that�s pretty amazing. Bigger problems, like wrinkles, pitting, hyperpigmentation are not affected by this peel as it is a lighter peel but the overall tone of your face will improve so drastically you won't care. I have had very light flaking a couple days after use but not true peeling with ridiculous downtime. I can do this two times a week, possibly more without my skin being angry at me.

I would say that for me the 25% mandelic acid and 3% sacilyic/bha are the most dramatic skin products I own with no downtime or pain. Out of these two, mandelic is the one I would recommend to others. (I would say the sacrilyic acid/bha is specific to me because I have oily skin). I have used the 40% as well and while it works I can use the 25% more often before starting to dry out or peel, therefore enjoying the glow effect for a longer period of time. A classic example of why stronger isn't always better.

I will say if your new to peels this a good intro. If you�re well versed in strong peels it may feel like applying toner more than anything else. Either way you will still see great results. Always do a patch test and work your way up to your appropriate level! I would never suggest this as a starting point for anyone new to any peel, but I simply leave it on my skin without washing off and don't have any difficulties.

I checked yes to buying this product again but what I really mean is if I run out of this product and other products at the same time.....this is my priority. If your new to MAUC keep in mind that oftentimes on holidays they do 25% off, so stock up at one time. They are a fantastic company and they're customer service is amazing. The drawback to most of their products is the minimal packaging. I have more than once lost my entire product down the drain. So what I do is I buy a lot of product and then put a little at a time in smaller usable bottles. Because I like to experiment with the packaging I might try putting this product in a roller ball packaging, so I can apply directly to skin.

**update they now have a serum, mandelic/sacylic peel, and a wash that I'm going to try. I also recently came upon interesting information on Paula Begoun's website about mandelic being an average, aha ingredient. I will explore more.

*2nd update*
It's interesting that I saw a video from paula's choice where they said that there is not much research on mandelic, so it's fascinating to me that I love this product so much. I started branching out to other mandelic products. I have now used the mandelic/sacylic peel,toner, serum, and wash. I have to say that the 25% and surprisingly the wash are my favorites. The mandelic/sacilyic is too harsh for everyday. The toner and serum have too much alcohol at a low percent of mandelic for me to like them. The wash I was really surprised at because I like the texture, you get a lot of product without alcohol at a decent price and I let it sit on my face a while before I wash it off. I even have enough for my body if I was so inclined. I'm finding that to be my new everyday holy grail and the 25% to be my special event use.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

If your looking for a first time face peel just to brighten and even out skintone or just to use as a first time peel, I highly suggest this one. It's not harsh on the skin, it's easy to apply, and does not sting half as much as the stronger ones. I have used mandelic and salicylic and glycolic peels. The best in my opinion is the mandelic and glycolic, depending on your needs. The glycolic is perfect for evening out skintone and getting rid of scars and blemishes over time, but you will most likely see results after your first use and after the skin has healed. There is definitely more shedding with glycolic vs mandelic. Some people dont shed skin with mandelic acic 25%, but for me I usually start seeing fine pieces of skin shedding after a couple days, especially after I apply foundation. The mandelic can be used every 4 days, some use it twice a week. I don't see a problem with either.

Overall, I would buy this mandelic acid again. I am using a second bottle as we speak.

Popular Masks