November 29, 2014 | 961 users online

Masks - Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) - 25% Mandelic Acid Peel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 9:43:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Adore this stuff for how effective and gentle it is. My skin has always reacted well to mandelic acid, even when other treatments were too harsh. After battling some major skin issues in the last year, I've found this to be my holy grail product when it comes to preventing acne and healing hyperpigmentation when it's used regularly. This isn't an overnight fix, but stuff with serious skin really can't be and I'd rather take it slow and gentle than use something really harsh. I've been using a one ounce bottle since March and now in July I have about 1/3rd left after using it for at least once a week. In that time, I've been able to fix most hyper pigmentation on my face and clear up some stubborn clogs that wouldn't have budged otherwise.

Using it is pretty simple, I just use an ear safe cotton swab, dip it into the bottle, and then roll it across my face, and leave it on for 3-4 minutes. The peel itself has a texture the same as water, so it can be runny and you don't need very much at all to cover your face. I then just rinse off with water and pat dry and follow up with your favorite moisturizer. I like to add a layer of vaseline on top just to make sure my skin is extra hydrated the day after. Worst side effect I've had is a bit of pink in my skin and a bit of flakiness. Nothing painful or that would prevent you from going about your average day.

Just some general tips with peels:
- Test patch this before use, as with any acid product. Better to know you have a problem in a small place on your face than have a major reaction all over.
- Follow MUAC's advice with discontinuing other acids (a lot sneak into cleansers too!) and retinoids before using this, more is not better with acids and mixing and matching can really mess up your skin's pH. You can call/email MUAC with specific questions.
- This peel has bare bones packaging, but it is easier to just screw the lid off to get to the peel. The pop lid can get stuck and overpour product onto whatever you use. Just take care making sure you screw the lid back on tight so you won't lose any peel to evaporation.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2014 5:09:00 PM More reviews by Slone07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like to mix one or two drops into my night cream once or twice a week. Occasionally, I'll add a few drops to my body lotion (mixed in my hands), too. I put this in an amber glass dropper bottle for easier use. For a slightly more potent peel, usually if I've forgotten to mix it into my moisturizer for a couple of weeks, I cleanse my face, wipe with alcohol on a cotton pad, and wipe again with the acid on a cotton pad. I can only leave it on for three minutes unless I want real peeling (in that case, five is my max). Gives a nice glow and seems to be working to reduce some of the more superficial sun spots I've begun developing (but no dice yet on a dime size spot on my cheek that's been hanging around for years). I really like that this doesn't need a special neutralizer...I just wash with my usual cleanser (CeraVe foaming is perfect for this, as it will rebalance your pH) and apply my usual treatments and sunscreen. I have fairly sensitive skin that is getting more sensitive as I get older, but mandelic acid seems to play nicely with my skin!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/28/2014 6:36:00 PM More reviews by stolenangel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

This peel did nothing for me. I guess I just have a tough face :(

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2014 12:33:00 PM More reviews by breeze1234

I like this product and will repurchase. I have very fair skin, but it's NOT sensitive at all. I can use this several times a week with no issue and have used it as a spot treatment overnight. Packaging isn't sexy so if you're into that, you should probably skip MUAC products all together.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 3:59:00 AM More reviews by MsMoose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This peel is amazing! I find that it provides a great light peel, minimizes your pores, and gives you an over-all fresh & glow-y appearance!
It is a very superficial peel, if you are looking for something that will give you a deeper exfoliation and more intense results, I would not recommend this.
I use this in between my Mandelic/salacylic peel and fade peel so I can still do a peel, but not something too intense, so I don't dry out my skin (especially in the winter)
I believe that if I got my skin to the clarity level I want it to be at, I would use this peel more, and use a deeper peel about once a month, as this is quite effective!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by mmsxo1992

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the first exfoliating product I can use without irritating my skin. Manual exfoliants always made me feel like I was rubbing my face off, but this is so gentle and effective. I apply it over my whole face using a cotton round or a qtip, wait 3 minutes, then rinse my face and wash it with my regular cleanser. I make sure to moisturize after since my skin is pretty dry. I don't experience any redness during or afterwards if I wash it off before 4 minutes though once I left it on for 5 and I was a little pink. I get mild peeling for about 2 days afterwards, but my skin glows so beautifully after. Started with the sample size from MUAC but just finished it and ordered the larger size.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 12:27:00 AM More reviews by xazzie

Just finished my first 1 ounce bottle of MUAC's 25% Mandelic Acid Peel and have purchased 2 more bottles as a replacement.

Overall, I am really impressed by the effectiveness of mandelic acid. I get quite a bit of hormonal acne and have been fighting it all my life. It's not gone (nothing's been a miracle so far), but I'm definitely clearer than usual when I use this peel with frequency. I wash my face in the evening and then apply the peel (it's a clear, watery consistency) with a Q-tip all over my face. The first few weeks, I washed off the peel after 5 or 10 minutes. But now I just leave the peel on overnight while I sleep. I haven't experienced any irritation or issues with that extended time.

The first thing I notice immediately when waking up the next morning is that my usually peppery-looking T-zone is much cleaner. The mandelic acid dissolves much of the grime in the open pores and leaves behind visibly cleaner, more petite pores. This is amazing for me as I haven't experimented with too many products that so completely addressed the black speckles all over my nose and inner cheeks. So finally experiencing that cleanliness is really nice. My pores seem much clearer. I do have to repeat the peel every 2 or 3 days to maintain though.

The second thing I notice is that mandelic acid's antibacterial properties do in fact keep some of my blemishes at bay. Since using this a few times per week, I've noticed that my breakouts overall have decreased. I'm still waking up to some inflamed pimples, however, due to continued hormonal acne and what I think might be an issue with my NARS blush. I'm presently auditing all of my cosmetics' ingredients to eliminate anything else that's causing me irritation. Once I've done that, I think I'll really be able to appreciate the mandelic acid's antibacterial nature more fully.

And the third thing I've noticed is that my skin is overall a bit more glowing and smooth. I don't think mandelic acid penetrates too deeply, but I have noticed a gentle smoothing effect on some of my pitted acne scars, eye crepes, etc. For someone who was on benzoyl peroxide for years and is used to having dull, overdried skin, the idea of glowing at all is pretty unreal. I'll take what I can get.

Right now I'm using this every other night with Peter Thomas Roth's Unwrinkle Peel Pads and the occasional MUAC Retinol 0.30% on other nights. Each product has its purpose, and I really like how the MUAC Mandelic Acid Peel adresses my pores and how this likely fights future breakouts.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 12:24:00 PM More reviews by escebola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Mandelic acid is the holiest of holy grails at pore de-gunking! I've been using different MUAC peels during the past few years (55 lactic seemed to be my fave; radiance peel is OK, but makes me flake more than the lactic; finally my skin didn't agree with the glycolic peel). After trying 3 samples of the mandelic acid peel, I decided I liked it very much, and I've actually purchased the biggest size available as of lately.

It had been a long time since I last used the mandelic peel (I had to wait until finishing up my lactic and radiance peels --> intl shipping+duties didn't justify otherwise) and after using it I've remembered why I loved it so much. This stuff clears out your pores like no other MUAC peel does (at least in my experience), and it does so instantly. It also leaves your face glowing without any sign of irritation.

I'm so happy I purchased the 2 oz bottle. Even more so since MUAC can't ship now to where I live (Spain) sigh sigh sigh.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by loveisgreen22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have only been using the Mandelic Peel for about a month, but already I notice such an improvement in my skin, I have to write a review about it. My skin is (was?) sensitive, acne-prone on the oily side. I pretty much always have a new breakout somewhere on my face.I have a lot of acne scars on both my cheeks and a little on my chin from past bouts with acne. But the worst was being able to FEEL how congested my skin was. I could feel tiny bumps under my skin indicating extremely clogged pores and acne that would eventually make its way to the top layer of my skin.
Then I ordered this peel.I followed the exact directions on how to use the peel when I got it, and now my skin has done a complete 180! every morning i wake up and look in the mirror and I'm shocked at how much better my skin looks. The breakouts I get now are small and infrequent and they dry up and heal themselves after a couple of days. My skin is smoother and brighter than ever. I no longer feels those congested bumps under my skin! AMAZING. And I would say my acne scars have lightened by about 40%..in one month!
I have already reordered the full bottle size so that I will never be without this peel. I can't wait to see what the results will be in another month!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by standupnow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm on my second bottle of this peel bc it's that awesome. Ok so it's not going to rid you completely of your acne scars but it will clean out your pores of blackheads and flatten cysts and heal pustules way quick. Your face will glow and appear brighter for a week but the real magic is the healing and cleansing of acneic skin. Wish I'd have found mandelic acid before using benzoperoxide and sacilic acid for so long. I still stand by retin a though. more over, Yay for ahas!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No