April 19, 2014 | 1626 users online

Masks - Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) - 25% Mandelic Acid Peel

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Pinky911

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Started using this more faithfully and going to try and stick to a regular routine of using it every 4 days (at night) for 6 minutes. This defiintely leaves my skin "glowy" the next day, followed by a few days of rougher, dull texture and some mild peeling, then by day 4 it starts to look back to normal again. I'm hoping with more continuous regular use I'll see more improvements in the texture and quality of my skin (and hopefully less closed comodones/bumps). I had to stop using BHA products (previously used Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid due to my recent pregnancy (3 months along), but got the okay to use mild glycolic and AHA products from the doc. Was told since BP was still an unknown to stop using as well. Also stopped using BP because it honestly didn't seem to help my skin overall. I think it does a good job at PREVENTING new acne, however, since I tend to pick my face and blemishes more than I should I've always noticed how harsh BP is on the condition of you skin, on your skin's youthful appearance (dulls like no otha), and I was always flaky and dry in some places and overly oily in others. I'm really hopeful a steady regime of the mandeli acid peel every 4 days, followed by jojoba oil for gentle moisturizing, and being careful to keep my make up brushes spotlessly clean, will help my skin in the long run. I'll check back in a few weeks to advise.
Day after second peel (08/06/13): definite improvement in texture of skin. less small closed comodones. I have one huge cystic zit on the side of my nose, still healing. Pregnancy is definitely increasing hormonal acne - big ol' zits. Other than peel, only using JOjoba Oil and Purpose FW.

Follow - up (10/02/13): I stopped using this product. My OBGYN gave me the greenlight to use a Garden Of Wisdown 2% Salicylic Acid toner. I use this every day after I wash my face and very very sparilgnly use a gel Benzoyl Peroxide over-the-counter product. At night I wash my face and use just Hemp Seed Oil (seems to clog my pores less than Jojoba oil does). We'll see...

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by maryam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this is an excellent peel. it made a tremendous difference in my skin with consistent use. i noticed a difference after the 4th or 5th time using it. skin was even, glowy and pores were clean. it DID make me flake/peel, but i moisturized like a fiend and rode through it. definitely worth it for me. i do not like the packaging i wish it was in a dropper type bottle but i guess that is how they keep the cost down.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 9:08:00 PM More reviews by jlseck

i really like this peel and will buy again when i run out. it makes my skin smooth and glow and i think its helping the unevenness. I use it about once a week. it stings only a very little bit, but that's how i know it's working. my face is a little pink after i rinse off. i think my pores look much smaller. a friend just told me i'm looking younger. :) its not too harsh. and it takes under 5 minutes. i recommend it!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 8:59:00 AM More reviews by dawnlois

Can I get a big HELL YEAH?!? As an older woman, I have been making a really conscious effort for several years to be kinder and gentler to my face - harsh cleansers and scrubs are out. I have done a couple of microlaser peels and IPL treatments, but I had no idea what to do at home to keep the results up - till I found MUAC. This peel is unbelievable - I am really impressed, and I mean overall, not just with some things about it. The price is right(!!), customer service is wonderful, and I frankly couldn't care less about the packaging. It's serviceable and doesn't leak - and I REALLY appreciate that I'm paying for a product that works, and not frou frou packaging and advertising. I have been prone to hormonal acne since I hit about 38 - so frustrating, I can't tell you. After a youth of clear skin that I was completely careless with, suddenly my skin started to dry up, wrinkle a bit, and break out!! In fact - I have almost always had at least one pimple every month for the last 11 or twelve years. And 3 or 4 times a year,I am gifted with a subterranean monster cyst that might hang around for a month or so, because they never come to a head. Now I don't want to sound like I have ever had severe acne, or that I know what that feels like. But constant small blemishes still bugged me alot - especially since I consider myself too damn old to have them! Not only that - but my skin has gotten progressively drier over the last several years - dry skin AND zits - whoo hoo!! So then I found MUAC - I was googling "at home chemical peels", and just decided to click on the website - and I was definitely skeptical. I figured I didn't have much to lose, and they included a newcomer coupon - and the sample sizes convinced me. I received my order within 3 days and used the peel that same night - and was blown away by the results!! I already use Retin A and amino acid products, but man oh man, did this stuff ramp up the results. I have used it about every 10 days or so for the last 3 months, and I can attest that results are cumulative - my skin looks better after every use. I have very little peeling now but the first month or so I had quite a bit - I cleansed with a castor oil/sunflower oil combo that I swear by, removing it with a warm, coarse wash cloth, and kept up a religious moisturizing schedule, and peeling is pretty much gone now, except for a day or two after each peel. I'm very happy with this product, and have since ordered several other products from MUAC - which just happens to now be mostly my only source for skin care. I also highly recommend the gly-luronic serum for maintenance between peels - but that's another review, right? For about 5 bucks or so ( I forget the exact amount) this is worth your while - I bet if you try it you'll like it.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2013 11:12:00 PM More reviews by nicizzy

I've become a MUAC ADDICT! I've tested out quite a few of the products including glycolic and TCA peels, but my absolute favorite is the Mandelic peel. I'm 45 and have fairly good quality skin, but prone to small blackheads on my cheeks, and white heads in the corners of my nose and lips. I've tried all sorts of acne products and scrubs and none has worked until the Mandelic Peel.

I use it every four days and get the following amazing benefits:
- soft smooth skin
- clearer more even tone (Mandelic acid is used in many of the spot treatments available on the market)
- blackheads and whiteheads GONE

Mandelic acid works as an antibacterial, and I find that if I'm consistent in using it every four days (left on for 6 minutes) all my little issues disappear. When I've been off the mandelic for TCA peels, the zits and whiteheads start to reappear, so I'm going to stick with this permanently.

A note, MUAC also offers a Mandelic toner which I've added to my regime. Excellent light daily exfoliant, combined with the peel, and I have the skin I've always wanted.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2013 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Quilley

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After much research on this company and peel, this little $3.50 (US) bottle of peel is the thing that seems to do the trick. It's not complicated to apply if you follow the card with the directions on it. . The results are considerably positive and there is very little pain involved. I will update as I progress in the treatments and then re-rate if I need to.

Treatment 1 - Spot treated only. Three clogged pores on temple immediately loosened up. Timed for 4 minutes dark and clogged areas only. Rinsed off and applied Cicaplast. No problems, very little change in skin tone. So far, so good.

Treatment 2 - 3 days later as directed. This time did my whole face with two "dips" of qtip in the acid peel. Focused in chin (hyperpigmentation) and two areas of more hyperpigmentation along upper cheekbones. Note: these are already fading out and not too dark to begin with. Just annoying. Timed for 3 minutes, rinsed entire face. Applied Cicaplast as a preventive measure since my skin is super sensitive, especially in the clear areas.

Experienced a tiny bit of redness above eyebrows, which the Cicaplast took down right away. Hopped in the shower, came out checked skin. Soft, smooth, like baby skin. Forehead shiny like baby skin.

Treatment 3 is Friday. Cannot wait to report results! I'm ready for another bottle already. So far so good. Fingers crossed. I'm 50 and have very sensitive NC40 skintone. I treat it like baby skin. My goal is to be 100% clear by this summer.

Treatment 3 - not much to report in terms of instant changes, however over a period of 4-5 days, the MA seems to be coaxing the clogged pores "awake" and they are coming to the surface. This is not what I'd expected at all and was disappointed at first, then I realized that I just have the type of skin that is prone to clogs; no matter how well I cleanse or stay away from pore clogging ingredients...this is just how it is!

Treatment 4 - Ok. Between the T3 treatment and now I have to admit something...the malic acid seems to be working - even when it's washed off, it is sloughing off skin. Tonight's treatment I went the full 5 minutes and I could tell after minute 3 that something is happening because my skin began to get really warm, something I did not experience right away.

The (large pores) on my nose are cleaner, the hyper-pigmentation area on my chin has broken up. The few clogged pores along my temples (about 3 on each side) are erupting, meaning they are not only darker on the surface, but I can feel that they are still clogged.

The pores that have already been cleared out did not really look infected (red and irritated) but dried up with the contents (white head) dried up and sitting on the surface, waiting for me to wash it away.

I still have more than 1/2 a bottle after using a few Q-tips each time to apply the acid. Under $4.00 a bottle for this compared to the hundreds perhaps thousands of dollars I've spent on skincare. It kind of blows me away.

I went back to the MUAC website and learned how these skin care companies are ripping us off by including only small amounts of the acids, etc. In their defense, they are probably under gov. guidelines (FDA) on how much they can include in skincare items, but now that I know what I know, I will be sticking with my Clarisonic and basic cleanser from TJ's for now.

As for other topicals...still figuring that out. More to come as I continue the peels.

Updated 4.5.2013 - Time for a stronger peel. I want to try the sal. acid/mandelic type next.

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Pambryant

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE: I left the top off in hopes of evaporating some water and making the acid more concentrated. This did NOTHING for me, and stank, too. And I even tried leaving it on for a loooong time.

I think this might work better on "thin-skinned" people with not much connective tissue under their skin. My skin is "thick"-I was told by a spa owner that people are either "wrinklers or saggers" and I'm a sagger.

So if you have delicate skin this might work well for you, but I'm going to try a higher % glycolic acid.

I used 3 times and saw no difference before/after. I left on longer than advised, STILL no effect or any peeling or exfoliation.

I left the top off to make any water evaporate and make it more concentrated. I'll see if it works better.

It smells like cat urine to me-very unpleasant.

I got the sample size, and i get several peels from it, so it's cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2013 7:17:00 PM More reviews by LBVero

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my favorite peel. I have used the glycolic, lactic acid, but this one doesnt burn like they do! I love this for a routine peel and then the TCA 15 % when I want to really do a bolt up from this! My skin looks amazing a few days after I use this and I am 58 years old! Exfoliation is the key! I get more results with these two with less pain, I love it....

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2013 7:30:00 PM More reviews by greengrapefruit

Love this product! I have done 3 peels with this so far and I am happy that I finally tried this. My skin has been very problematic for me in the past few months because of hormonal acne and maybe makeup. I have had really big zits that are so red and sore a few times a month. Since I started using this, my skin has been improving. The zits are smaller and come to a head much quicker!
I spot treat with this and it's been pretty great. It is a pretty gentle peel, I leave it on for 3-5 minutes and I have minimal redness and a little stinging. I did get flaking and I am hoping as I do more peels it will really improve my texture and tone. I have a lot of hyper pigmentation that I am looking to fade so I will update after a few more peels.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by keepitreal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

UPDATE: I have come to the conclusion that my skin hates Mandelic acid (and peels in general). I used this peel three times for 2 or 3 minutes max, each a week or more apart. Each time I experienced quite a bit of stinging and the most awful burning sensation upon rinsing. My skin peeled like crazy around day three and yet I saw no difference in the condition or texture of my skin after it stopped. It did, however, cause irritation bumps that took quite a while to go away. To be fair, I also tried Garden of Wisdom's 5% Mandelic serum and even then experienced what I would consider excessive stinging. If you have sensitive skin, do yourself a favor and get a sample and patch test a couple times first. I wish I had! MUAC is a great company, but this product was a major no go for me.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No