January 30, 2015 | 1097 users online

Masks - Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) - 25% Mandelic Acid Peel

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2014 11:03:00 AM More reviews by damnemperess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have tried most of MAUCs products including multiple strengths of sacrilyic acid, glycolic, latic, TCA, retinol and I'm well versed in ingredients. I do a routine aspirin mask, and use other brands/products like alpha hydrox-glycolic lotion, benzoyl peroxide and skin whitener when I have hyperpigmentation.

I would say that for me the 25% mandelic acid and 3% sacrilyic/bha are the most dramatic skin products I own with no downtime or pain. Out of these two mandelic is the one I would recommend to others. (I would say the sacrilyic acid/bha is specific to me because I have oily skin)

This peel is very light and gives a shiny, dewy glow to the skin. In one day thatís pretty amazing. Bigger problems, like wrinkles, pitting, hyperpigmentation are not affected by this peel as it is a lighter peel but the overall tone of your face will improve so drastically you won't care. I have had very light flaking a couple days after use but not true peeling with ridiculous downtime. I can do this two times a week, possibly more without my skin being angry at me.

I will say if your new to peels this a good intro. If youíre well versed in strong peels it may feel like applying toner more than anything else. Either way you will still see great results. Always do a patch test and work your way up to your appropriate level! I would never suggest this as a starting point for anyone new to any peel, but I simply leave it on my skin without washing off and don't have any difficulties.

I checked yes to buying this product again but what I really mean is if I run out of this product and other products at the same time.....this is my priority. If your new to MAUC keep in mind that oftentimes on holidays they do 25% off, so stock up at one time. They are a fantastic company and they're customer service is amazing. The only drawback to most of their products is the minimal packaging. I have more than once lost my entire product down the drain. So what I do is I buy a lot of product and then put a little at a time in smaller usable bottles. Because I like to experiment with the packaging I might try putting this product in a roller ball packaging, so I can apply directly to skin.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2014 11:16:00 PM More reviews by shesUNIQUE

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If your looking for a first time face peel just to brighten and even out skintone or just to use as a first time peel, I highly suggest this one. It's not harsh on the skin, it's easy to apply, and does not sting half as much as the stronger ones. I have used mandelic and salicylic and glycolic peels. The best in my opinion is the mandelic and glycolic, depending on your needs. The glycolic is perfect for evening out skintone and getting rid of scars and blemishes over time, but you will most likely see results after your first use and after the skin has healed. There is definitely more shedding with glycolic vs mandelic. Some people dont shed skin with mandelic acic 25%, but for me I usually start seeing fine pieces of skin shedding after a couple days, especially after I apply foundation. The mandelic can be used every 4 days, some use it twice a week. I don't see a problem with either.

Overall, I would buy this mandelic acid again. I am using a second bottle as we speak.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2014 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Calincherie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've used this peel four times, spaced about four days out, and my skin tone is significantly more even. The day after my first use, I noticed that the majority of my acne was on its way out. By the third day, there was no active acne at all. For that, I'm incredibly impressed.

I do peel, however, with every use. I'm OK with that because the peeling is not very noticeable and I often get rid of the flakes with tape before I put my makeup on. Luckily, the tape method has no adverse affects and doesn't make my skin feel raw.

This peel has helped to fade dark spots so well, I've been able to get away with just tinted moisturizer and a light dusting of powder on some days as opposed to foundation like I had before. My makeup goes on so much more smoothly and my skin is much more brighter.

I bought the 1 ounce bottle and use a q-tip dipped in the solution and apply first to my forehead, then work downwards. It's a watery consistency, but I never had any issues with it being so sopping wet that it creates problems. I leave it on about five minutes, sometimes longer if I want a better peel, then wash it off with the green tea cleanser they provided.

Highly recommend this product and I want to get more!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2014 10:00:00 AM More reviews by addkg777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

after using this for a few weeks i finally have a good grasp on the peel and am able to review it. my skin has mild acne "dents" and large pores. occasional pimple. i have also used 18% TCA

day 1: i received it in the mail and immediatlely washed my face and prepped it for the peel. i poured a few drop in my palm and put my hands together to distribute the liquid into both hands and then put both of my hands against my cheeks for a few seconds. i put a few more drops on my forehead. it dried almost instantly. i left it on for 5 minutes and instead of washing it off, i put an oil fee moisturizer on top and left my skin alone.

day2: my skin is glowing! i noticed a small red welp on my cheek. it wasnt raised. it didnt hurt and it instantly went away the next day. this has only happened once. my acne scars and dents were all even.

day3: this day i noticed very mild and faint peeling. nothing bad but still hard to wear foundation. my acne dents were noticable again but my over all skin was brighter, more even and VERY soft.

conclusion: ive been using this peel for a few weeks 2-3 times a week and its a cycle. every time i use the mandelic acid, its the same exact thing as i listed above. its not a miracle worker. it wont solve all of your problems. but what it will do is help micro exfoliate for brighter smoother skin. and maybe with long term use, help mild acne scars. its fool proof and very easy to use.

update: i still love this and i believe its been helping my faint acne scars. (colored scars and dents) and i still stand firm that this absolutely keeps my skin clear. also ive never had another "welp" incident.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 9:27:00 AM More reviews by isavella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am not exaggerating when I say this stuff fixed my skin! I had been having some issues, the result being constant clogging, with minor acne but lots of scarring from it (the unfortunate side effect of olive toned skin). In about a month of regular use of this peel, my skin is 100% clear, smooth, and glowy - and the scarring has faded DRASTICALLY.

I started out using it in conjunction with the mandelic acid toner, but the alcohol in it proved too drying, especially in tandem with the peel. (I now use the toner to keep my back and chest clear - for which it is super duper effective.) The first week I used it the way the instructions told me to - dipping a q-tip in the watery mix, I rolled it over my face and rinsed it off after a few minutes. I noticed an improvement in the texture of my skin the next morning, but the first week or so I definitely dealt with dry, flaky skin and some redness. I stopped using the toner and that helped. Eventually, my skin got used to it.

How I use it now: At night, I apply it to my entire face about twice a week. I don't rinse it off a this point. The rest of the week, I put some only on trouble spots. In the morning, I mix a couple drops with my moisturizer and use that all over my face. To be clear, my skin is hardy and loves constant exfoliation. This routine would probably be too much for a lot of people. But, in a month, my skin has gone from a hot mess to near flawless. This is a great product and I'll never be without it. Final verdict. AND - it's not even expensive.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 9:43:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Adore this stuff for how effective and gentle it is. My skin has always reacted well to mandelic acid, even when other treatments were too harsh. After battling some major skin issues in the last year, I've found this to be my holy grail product when it comes to preventing acne and healing hyperpigmentation when it's used regularly. This isn't an overnight fix, but stuff with serious skin really can't be and I'd rather take it slow and gentle than use something really harsh. I've been using a one ounce bottle since March and now in July I have about 1/3rd left after using it for at least once a week. In that time, I've been able to fix most hyper pigmentation on my face and clear up some stubborn clogs that wouldn't have budged otherwise.

Using it is pretty simple, I just use an ear safe cotton swab, dip it into the bottle, and then roll it across my face, and leave it on for 3-4 minutes. The peel itself has a texture the same as water, so it can be runny and you don't need very much at all to cover your face. I then just rinse off with water and pat dry and follow up with your favorite moisturizer. I like to add a layer of vaseline on top just to make sure my skin is extra hydrated the day after. Worst side effect I've had is a bit of pink in my skin and a bit of flakiness. Nothing painful or that would prevent you from going about your average day.

Just some general tips with peels:
- Test patch this before use, as with any acid product. Better to know you have a problem in a small place on your face than have a major reaction all over.
- Follow MUAC's advice with discontinuing other acids (a lot sneak into cleansers too!) and retinoids before using this, more is not better with acids and mixing and matching can really mess up your skin's pH. You can call/email MUAC with specific questions.
- This peel has bare bones packaging, but it is easier to just screw the lid off to get to the peel. The pop lid can get stuck and overpour product onto whatever you use. Just take care making sure you screw the lid back on tight so you won't lose any peel to evaporation.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2014 5:09:00 PM More reviews by Slone07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like to mix one or two drops into my night cream once or twice a week. Occasionally, I'll add a few drops to my body lotion (mixed in my hands), too. I put this in an amber glass dropper bottle for easier use. For a slightly more potent peel, usually if I've forgotten to mix it into my moisturizer for a couple of weeks, I cleanse my face, wipe with alcohol on a cotton pad, and wipe again with the acid on a cotton pad. I can only leave it on for three minutes unless I want real peeling (in that case, five is my max). Gives a nice glow and seems to be working to reduce some of the more superficial sun spots I've begun developing (but no dice yet on a dime size spot on my cheek that's been hanging around for years). I really like that this doesn't need a special neutralizer...I just wash with my usual cleanser (CeraVe foaming is perfect for this, as it will rebalance your pH) and apply my usual treatments and sunscreen. I have fairly sensitive skin that is getting more sensitive as I get older, but mandelic acid seems to play nicely with my skin!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/28/2014 6:36:00 PM More reviews by stolenangel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

This peel did nothing for me. I guess I just have a tough face :(

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2014 12:33:00 PM More reviews by breeze1234

I like this product and will repurchase. I have very fair skin, but it's NOT sensitive at all. I can use this several times a week with no issue and have used it as a spot treatment overnight. Packaging isn't sexy so if you're into that, you should probably skip MUAC products all together.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 3:59:00 AM More reviews by MsMoose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This peel is amazing! I find that it provides a great light peel, minimizes your pores, and gives you an over-all fresh & glow-y appearance!
It is a very superficial peel, if you are looking for something that will give you a deeper exfoliation and more intense results, I would not recommend this.
I use this in between my Mandelic/salacylic peel and fade peel so I can still do a peel, but not something too intense, so I don't dry out my skin (especially in the winter)
I believe that if I got my skin to the clarity level I want it to be at, I would use this peel more, and use a deeper peel about once a month, as this is quite effective!