December 21, 2014 | 955 users online

Eye Primer - Lime Crime - Eyeshadow Helper; Waterproof Eyeshadow Primer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2013 1:48:00 AM More reviews by susu42

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Im back again to give a review on another eyeshadow primer, I have hooded eyes plus oily eyelids so not a great combination especially when it summer time, so I have tried a few primer like the Too Faced shadow insurance, Prestige Primed& Ready, Wet N Wild and quite a few others but so far even though they are not all bad in my case I haven't found the Eye Primer yet that will keep my shadow from creasing or fading on me, so I decided to give this a try, so far I will say I like it not love its a nice texture, blends out very nicely and doesn't leave that white cast like some do, and I didn't smell a strong fragrance to it. In my opinion its expensive $16,99 plus s&H if you order off the Website. It does make the shadow color pop and I guess on someone with normal skin it would last a good amount of time, but for me its just ok nothing that I must have, so im still on the hunt for a bad ass eyeshadow primer, not everything work the same on everyone, so this is just my experience with this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Well, I'm hoping that the new tube doesn't disappoint (as per medicinedoll's review on the new tube formula)! I'm still ploughing through the last blue pot purchased a year ago & I love it (it's my 3rd pot).

I've tried just about every primer on the market (although I still want to try Lorac's) as I need serious tearproofing, not just waterproofing.

In my mid 40's I had 11mm of the corner of my eye removed due to a tumor, including the tearduct. Did you know that, sans that duct, the excess liquid defies gravity & travels up & into the crease of the eye socket before it flows down? Nope? Neither did I until the surgery healed up. As a warning to you lovely ladies who like lining their waterline, the first thing the dermatologist asked was whether I did this as it seems to be the most common factor amongst women women who develop such cancers (& they're by far most common in women). The truth is that I've never done the waterline (tightlining only!) but, despite my best intentions, had often slept with mascara & eyeliner or its residue around my eyes over the years. When you're tired, close enough seems to be good enough.

PLEASE, go to the GoodGuide & read how many carcinogens goes into your favourite eye cosmetics. If you haven't, you're in for a shock.

I digress. Eyeshadow helper is the only primer that truly makes my eyeshadow waterproof. I feel a bit dubious about giving it 5 lippies because it takes time & patience to apply it in the colder weather properly due to the thickness of the formula. With my first pot, it took a few months for me to stop bypassing it in favour of something I could just slap on quickly until I found myself reaching for it more and more often. You do need to let it soften from the warmth of your fingers & your eyelids and dab it out with care to avoid pulling the delicate skin. Nevertheless, I don't find that it takes any longer than other eye primers once you get the gist of its texture... and, once it's on, you can apply your eyeshadows & they'll look the same colour as what you see in your pallet! The beauty part is that, what time you save in slapping on another product is countered by the waiting time in letting it dry down to the perfect texture for applying my eye makeup. I find that is really an aggravating hit or miss process with other primers because it varies according to weather conditions, etc. I'll get impatient & start too early or will discover that the primer has set too much before starting. With Shadow Helper, it's good to go as soon as you have it on & remains the perfect consistency even if you spend more time putting on the base on the first eye than usual. For me, that's the equivalent of having let your first coat of mascara dry down too much before applying the second. Lime Crime's Shadow Helper is pretty much foolproof when it comes to timing... and that's something I love it for.

Blending can be an issue because this really grips, so I'd suggest a good base (MAC paint pots are fabulous) or some of your powder base colour worked in above the crease, as well as your brow bone powder before blending in your mid and crease colours.

Now, as the bold & beautiful colours I used to love have found other homes or have been binned because they really age me, I use softer neutrals & it isn't an issue. If I only want a wash of colour, I prep with a tiny bit of translucent powder on a big blending brush & dust it over my lid sparingly. This provides enough smoothness to create more of a wash of colour, as well as blendability. Eyeshadow Helper still works its way through the miserly layer of powder and sets the eyeshadow to waterproof without harsh lines or having to build umpteen dozen layers of your shadows until they turn into a muddy mess.

To my way of thinking, there isn't an HG eye primer. Just as with other point makeup, there are various types which perform well for one type of look but not for others. I don't have less than 3 mascaras, multiple eyeshadows (in different forms) or at least 6 or 7 eyeliners (in different forms) on the go at any given time. I also usually have 3 eye primers in use as well. Dependent on what my eyemakeup look is, a light brushing of waterproofing sealant does the trick for other primers if I think it will be necessary.

Eyeshadow Helper is an essential for me for when I know I need heavy duty help for keeping colour and precision immovable until I hit it with waterproof eyemakeup remover... and take off every last skerrick. Remember, close enough is not good enough.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:51:00 PM More reviews by medicinedoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was a fan of the old formula (the formular in the pot). I don't know what they changed with the new one but it DOES not work as good as the new one. I try different primers very often and nothing worked as well as the original. The new one smudges within a few hours, the old one does not. I tested both of them out. Needless to say i'm thoroughly dissapointed in LC, and I am on the look out for a new primer

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by TheSilverSnowflake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Violet

This is my go-to eyeshadow primer, without a doubt. I tried several other brands, and nothing quite compared to this one. I found it through some bright/crazy make-up blogs I frequent, it kept popping up in tutorials and how-tos, so I figured I'd try it. It's really an awesome product. My lids go through the whole dry/normal/oily spectrum thoroughout the year, and I never have a problem. But it is very easy to overapply, which does, in my experience, cause smearing, early fading, etc. This was my first LC purchase, and my favorite so far. I use a brush to remove it from the pot, then apply it to my lids. I usually have to smooth it out with my fingers, but I don't mind. It lasts anywhere from 4 to 30 hours, depending on what other products I use.
I only wish they sold it in more colors, like some better known primers.
I, personally, have the little blue pot, but I see that on their site they have tubes now. The hygiene thing wasn't a serious concern of mine, but they seem to have addressed that.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2013 10:57:00 PM More reviews by chatterboxlee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference, I have oily lids.I have UDPP (love this!), tried NYX HD base (which sucks), and the Korean brand Etude Proof 10 (which is awesome).

I don't like this primer. The packaging sucks because the primer dries out from the pot. Which means you'll have a hard time spreading it on your lids. Overtime you'll contribute to premature wrinkles. Also, chances are before you even use up the pot, the product is already dry.

My worst experience was applying this around 7 pm for a party I had to attend. My eye makeup looked great, vibrant, and it really felt promising. By midnight, I had raccoon eyes and major creasing. It's like I didn't use any primer in the first place.

To be fair, I think this can work for dry-normal lids.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by DiscoPandaGoGo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have to admit, when my friends told me to try this primer out I was skeptical, I have been using UDPP for YEARS, almost 6-7 years now actually and I've always been an avid fan. Switching a primer scared me to death, but I took the plunge after my friend dared me and said if I didn't like it she'd buy it off me. I ended up purchasing it with Suedeberry Velvetine, and now I can't even believe how I lived with UDPP and didn't try out this primer! The packaging is great, now that it's in a squeeze tube, I have semi long nails and using the pot would have been a hassle probably. The tube is adorable also, with the colors and purple casing. You can tell the different between TSFI and UDPP as soon as it comes out of the tube. It's a thicker consistency, and when you spread it over the lid it almost has a tacky consistency, and it grabs onto the shadow amazingly. I find that patting the color on helps it transfer well onto the lid. I used it with some loose shadows which normally fly all over my face as soon as I use them on my UDPP, but with this primer I didn't have any fallout! The glitter in the shadows stuck, and I was able to blend them out without any hassle! This is my new go-to primer and I can promise I will purchase again and suggest it to anyone that will listen! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 5:09:00 AM More reviews by shaythejewnius

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had been using a Too Faced primer but found the creamy & light texture wasn't doing much to accentuate my loose pigments. At the advice of my best friend, a professional MUA, she said I had to buy Lime Crime's primer. What a difference!

Not just pigments, but all my eyeshadows were suddenly bolder, and stayed on my lids without creasing all day! I know some people are talking about the sterility of the packaging, but they've actually changed it to a tube now. I'm actually disappointed b/c I feel like the pot made it easier to get every last drop of product out, but the upside is they've made the new formula Vegan & there's 40% more in the tube.

My ONLY gripe that I have is that it's taken some getting used to having to apply my eyeshadow while the primer is still tacky on my lid. It makes it very difficult to blend my shadows in my crease and even sometimes acts as a windshield wiper gone bad. But trust me, that gripe isn't enough to make me not wanting this primer. It's the best one I've ever used.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/3/2013 6:28:00 AM More reviews by kinta80s

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Purchased this literally 1 second after hearing Wayne Goss raving about it in his vlog.

This is actually the most expensive eyeshadow primer that I own. I've been purchasing UDPP and TFSI from sites that offers free world wide shipping such as beautybay and lookfantastic. Sad thing that I live far from the states and getting the shipping here alone is pretty expensive.

People have been raving that the package just looks cute, etc. But who would buy primer in a pot container? Hygiene isn't my main concern (although it has raised some questions too), but I find the product to be drying easily in the pot, maybe because the pot that I received wasn't sealed properly or airtight.

I still find UDPP, TFSI, elf, MUA primers to do a much better job at keeping my eyeshadow intact and away from fading. But rather than throwing this useless thing to trash, I normally try to pop it to microwave for 30 seconds for it to wet just enough before application, and put on fyrinnae pixie epoxy over the eyeshadow helper to prolong the lasting power (I find my urban decay naked eyeshadows to fade into merely 10% opacity after 4 hours of application with this on).

Guess in the long run when it has dried to some certain degree in the pot and I'm already tired of microwaving it, I'd use it as lip primer instead. Using unhygienic primer pot to my eyelids will just bring pink eyes :/

P.S. If you don't seem to support her business ethics due to the ongoing scandals after googling the brand name, you might want to try Ka'oir primer that's also waterproof and in pots - found out that they're actually manufactured from the same laboratory. http://doedeerelies.tumblr.com/post/35571592197/i-was-a-lime-crime-fan-but-i-am-cured-now-her

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 7:51:00 AM More reviews by lfreyn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this product for oily lids. I don't understand why people think this is unhygienic, use a spatula and brush or just use the handle end of your brush to get it out! I prefer that it's in a pot so I can scoop it out and then apply with a brush from the back of my hand, my fingers never have to touch the product at all. Better than the UDPP wand or any squeezy tubes where it's easy to touch the nozzle.

You get lots in this little pot, and have to be careful not to use very much otherwise it can give a cakey look to your eyeshadow. I recently did a friend's make-up using this and went out clubbing all night with her so could see the wear - 24 hours later, as she didn't remove it before going to bed (bad!), no creasing on her oily lids! Amazing! The shadow had faded but really, how much can you ask. It looked fab for 12 hours.

It's difficult to remove though (well, if it's going to last it would have to be), I recommend using some high quality jojoba oil to dissolve it rather than scrub with weak cleansers or soap.

I've had this for a year now and still have quite a bit left, about a third, that's after using it fairly regularly including using it thinly all over the face for waterproof make-ups and also for blocking eyebrows, where you need to use quite alot.

NOTE - Oh yeah, it's great for blocking eyebrows! Safer and nicer than using gluestick, and seals the eyebrows just as well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2012 4:53:00 AM More reviews by jaylyn85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was so hoping that this product would be the end of my search for a primer that actually works for my oily lids, sadly I'm still looking. I have super dry skin but super oily eyelid's and I think I have tried pretty much every well known primer there is nothing has worked for me so far.
This primer actually did stop my eyeshadow from creasing but it didn't stop it from fading. By the end of the day I looked like I had never used a primer in the first place. I also found that this did not increase the vibrancy of my eyeshadow. This primer is pretty expensive and compared to others you don't really get a lot. I also hate that is comes in a pot, I really don't find it hygienic and it's a pain to have to use a brush.