April 17, 2014 | 1901 users online

Eye Primer - Lime Crime - Candy Eyed Eyeshadow Helper

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 7:51:00 AM More reviews by lfreyn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this product for oily lids. I don't understand why people think this is unhygienic, use a spatula and brush or just use the handle end of your brush to get it out! I prefer that it's in a pot so I can scoop it out and then apply with a brush from the back of my hand, my fingers never have to touch the product at all. Better than the UDPP wand or any squeezy tubes where it's easy to touch the nozzle.

You get lots in this little pot, and have to be careful not to use very much otherwise it can give a cakey look to your eyeshadow. I recently did a friend's make-up using this and went out clubbing all night with her so could see the wear - 24 hours later, as she didn't remove it before going to bed (bad!), no creasing on her oily lids! Amazing! The shadow had faded but really, how much can you ask. It looked fab for 12 hours.

It's difficult to remove though (well, if it's going to last it would have to be), I recommend using some high quality jojoba oil to dissolve it rather than scrub with weak cleansers or soap.

I've had this for a year now and still have quite a bit left, about a third, that's after using it fairly regularly including using it thinly all over the face for waterproof make-ups and also for blocking eyebrows, where you need to use quite alot.

NOTE - Oh yeah, it's great for blocking eyebrows! Safer and nicer than using gluestick, and seals the eyebrows just as well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2012 4:53:00 AM More reviews by jaylyn85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was so hoping that this product would be the end of my search for a primer that actually works for my oily lids, sadly I'm still looking. I have super dry skin but super oily eyelid's and I think I have tried pretty much every well known primer there is nothing has worked for me so far.
This primer actually did stop my eyeshadow from creasing but it didn't stop it from fading. By the end of the day I looked like I had never used a primer in the first place. I also found that this did not increase the vibrancy of my eyeshadow. This primer is pretty expensive and compared to others you don't really get a lot. I also hate that is comes in a pot, I really don't find it hygienic and it's a pain to have to use a brush.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/29/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Ragw33d

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a sample of this when I ordered my chinadoll palette, and I was a bit excited because even the little sample was adorable. So I decided to switch out my normal TFSI one day for the candy eyed primer... not good. Although I really like the texture of the primer it just didn't work on me at all. And I tried it on with lime crime eyeshadow, I used the goldfish and lotus noir pressed eyeshadows from the chinadoll palette, so I'm sure its not just a bad combination. The shadows were not a vibrant as with TFSI and it creased within an hour. =( I'm glad this works so glad for some others, but I'm just happy I got a sample and didn't buy it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2012 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Celestial_Sky

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

FINALLY!!!...completely creaseless eyeshadow for the day. I'm THRILLED I bought this. I have very oily eyelids and have tried so many eye shadow primers; Urban Decay Primer Potion, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, NARS eye primer, MAC Paint Pots,...and they all creased in various degrees. I didn't think there was anything better on the market. This is the only primer that creases the least,..yes, the least, I still get a tinsy bit of a line on my lid with this HOWEVER, if I apply this and then top with a MAC Paint Pot and then dust face powder on top of that, I get completely crease free shadow all day. I'm tempted to throw out all the other eye shadow primers I have because I haven't touched them since I bought this. Love, love, love!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is great stuff!

I have *extremely* oily lids, and even good-quality eyeshadow creases on me in a matter of minutes, if I don't use a primer.

Urban Decay Primer Potion didn't work well for me, Mary Kay was mediocre, MAC Paint Pot was a fail, and Blinc primer was good but not stellar. Nars worked well, but I wanted a cruelty-free alternative.

Enter Eyeshadow Helper. It's made by Lime Crime, a cruelty-free company, so, in spite of Eyeshadow Helper's mixed reviews, I decided to give it a try.

Eyeshadow Helper is not cheap, at $17 a pop, but you get a good amount of product in a screw-top pot. I use a flat concealer brush to load a very small amount(believe me, you do not want to put this on too thickly!) of Eyeshadow Helper, smooth it on my lids, and let it set for a few minutes. It's super sticky, which takes some getting used to. After it's well-set, I brush a very thin layer of translucent powder on top, then apply my powder eyeshadows and liner. With Eyeshadow Helper, it takes 5-6 hours for my lids to develop the "greasy creasies," which for me is outstanding. My only complaints about Eyeshadow Helper are its price, its very light color (almost too light even for my NW15 skin), and its extreme stickiness.

The good far outweighs the not-so-good, though, so I expect to keep on buying Eyeshadow Helper.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2012 8:08:00 PM More reviews by fag_hag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have the oiliest lids ever, and after only a couple of hours, eyeliner and shadow disappear on me. I got this because of Wayne Goss's recommendations. Am surprised by the feedback here cause this worked really well for me. You have to work pretty quick, though cause it tends to work by "drying" out the area and making the powder eyeshadow stick to it. Needless to say, I tested this from 630pm to 130 am and my normally erased eyeshadow and liner was still on! Be careful though. If you normally apply a lot of eyeshadown to make it show up, this will heighten the color so there is a danger of over applying. Use a light hand and you'll have almost permanent eyeshadow on you all day/night. Recommended.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/1/2012 7:52:00 PM More reviews by HeCallsMeGorgeous

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I picked this up at the SpaceNK counter at Bloomingdales. The ONLY reason I cared about trying it is Wayne Goss (GossMakeupArtist on YouTube) absolutely raves over this. I can appreciate that a lot of makeup items are YMMV but Goss' love of this product is something I cannot understand. While I will say my eye shadow does not crease when I use this product, that could simply be because my eyeshadow completely fades away in about 3 hours. In terms of making my shadow colors more true or vibrant... this product does neither. It also does nothing in terms of preventing my shadow from creasing. In my experience, this product is pretty worthless when there are other products on the market which do keep my shadow from creasing and honestly that is what I want/expect in a shadow primer.

For me, NARS currently has the best shadow primer with Too Faced's Shadow Insurance coming in second. I used to love UDPP but they changed the formulation when they changed the packaging and it's now fallen to 3rd or perhaps 4th place for me.

I would not repurchase Lime Crime's Eye Shadow Helper - in fact, I'd return it if I could. I also would not recommend this to others.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by anibee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love this primer and with mu normal lids i find this works better then Too Faced Shadow Insurance for logevity and colour intensity. This is a product I recommend working fast with to insure that the eyeshadows really set to the stick base quality of this primer.

This and the Original primer potion are my favorites. it not a cheap primer for the amount you get but it works really well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2011 6:18:00 AM More reviews by lirontocker

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I basically cannot wear eyeshadow without a primer - I have eyes which water at the first gust of wind or at any temperature under 5c. My eyelids can get oily, and eyeshadow manages to slip n' slide around, only to migrate to greener pastures before lunchtime.

I purchased Eyeshadow Helper hoping it'd do a better job that UDPP in keeping the eyeshadow in the inner corners of my lid on until the evening, alas, they both seem to exhibit the same behavior - eyeshadow goes on at 9am, creases by 4pm, need to blot "eyeshadow grease" off with a tissue every hour or so.

Granted, this stuff stands up pretty well against a drizzle and general random eye-watering. It's tackier than UDPP, which grips loose eyeshadow a lot better and really makes color pop.

Overall - I prefer this to UDPP, but not by a large margin. A downside for me is the packaging, which is in a little pot. Rather difficult to use for those of us who maintain long nails.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Fluffludd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Blue

This product has helped me a lot. I hace oily eyelids and without primer I usually find my eyeshadow has creased within 30 minutes of wear. This baby once kept me crease-free for over 14 hours!
I like how it comes in a jar and not with a wand since wands just means application trouble for me and I always use my fingers anyway. I smudge a small amount of eyeshadow helper on my entire lids, crease and up towards the eyebrows and then smudges a thin layer of NYX jumbo pencil in milk on my lids before eyeshadow or pigments. When I take it off I use either waterproof or regular eye make up remover, the difference is forgettable.
Because of the discussion regarding size, I put it on my kitchen scale and it says 27 g after several months of use (product + packaging). The packaging is lightweight plastic in turquise-blue, it's supposed to be cute but I really don't care about packaging that much. I might have preferred a snap-lid instead of the current twist-off lid.
The price was $22, including shipping to Sweden, which is about the same as the price of a OPI nailpolish at swedish retailers (approx. $22.50). Since I use this every day, it's worth every penny. I will definitley buy this again when I run out!