October 24, 2014 | 1122 users online

Eye Primer - Lime Crime - Eyeshadow Helper; Waterproof Eyeshadow Primer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by TheSilverSnowflake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Violet

This is my go-to eyeshadow primer, without a doubt. I tried several other brands, and nothing quite compared to this one. I found it through some bright/crazy make-up blogs I frequent, it kept popping up in tutorials and how-tos, so I figured I'd try it. It's really an awesome product. My lids go through the whole dry/normal/oily spectrum thoroughout the year, and I never have a problem. But it is very easy to overapply, which does, in my experience, cause smearing, early fading, etc. This was my first LC purchase, and my favorite so far. I use a brush to remove it from the pot, then apply it to my lids. I usually have to smooth it out with my fingers, but I don't mind. It lasts anywhere from 4 to 30 hours, depending on what other products I use.
I only wish they sold it in more colors, like some better known primers.
I, personally, have the little blue pot, but I see that on their site they have tubes now. The hygiene thing wasn't a serious concern of mine, but they seem to have addressed that.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2013 10:57:00 PM More reviews by chatterboxlee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference, I have oily lids.I have UDPP (love this!), tried NYX HD base (which sucks), and the Korean brand Etude Proof 10 (which is awesome).

I don't like this primer. The packaging sucks because the primer dries out from the pot. Which means you'll have a hard time spreading it on your lids. Overtime you'll contribute to premature wrinkles. Also, chances are before you even use up the pot, the product is already dry.

My worst experience was applying this around 7 pm for a party I had to attend. My eye makeup looked great, vibrant, and it really felt promising. By midnight, I had raccoon eyes and major creasing. It's like I didn't use any primer in the first place.

To be fair, I think this can work for dry-normal lids.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by DiscoPandaGoGo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have to admit, when my friends told me to try this primer out I was skeptical, I have been using UDPP for YEARS, almost 6-7 years now actually and I've always been an avid fan. Switching a primer scared me to death, but I took the plunge after my friend dared me and said if I didn't like it she'd buy it off me. I ended up purchasing it with Suedeberry Velvetine, and now I can't even believe how I lived with UDPP and didn't try out this primer! The packaging is great, now that it's in a squeeze tube, I have semi long nails and using the pot would have been a hassle probably. The tube is adorable also, with the colors and purple casing. You can tell the different between TSFI and UDPP as soon as it comes out of the tube. It's a thicker consistency, and when you spread it over the lid it almost has a tacky consistency, and it grabs onto the shadow amazingly. I find that patting the color on helps it transfer well onto the lid. I used it with some loose shadows which normally fly all over my face as soon as I use them on my UDPP, but with this primer I didn't have any fallout! The glitter in the shadows stuck, and I was able to blend them out without any hassle! This is my new go-to primer and I can promise I will purchase again and suggest it to anyone that will listen! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 5:09:00 AM More reviews by shaythejewnius

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had been using a Too Faced primer but found the creamy & light texture wasn't doing much to accentuate my loose pigments. At the advice of my best friend, a professional MUA, she said I had to buy Lime Crime's primer. What a difference!

Not just pigments, but all my eyeshadows were suddenly bolder, and stayed on my lids without creasing all day! I know some people are talking about the sterility of the packaging, but they've actually changed it to a tube now. I'm actually disappointed b/c I feel like the pot made it easier to get every last drop of product out, but the upside is they've made the new formula Vegan & there's 40% more in the tube.

My ONLY gripe that I have is that it's taken some getting used to having to apply my eyeshadow while the primer is still tacky on my lid. It makes it very difficult to blend my shadows in my crease and even sometimes acts as a windshield wiper gone bad. But trust me, that gripe isn't enough to make me not wanting this primer. It's the best one I've ever used.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/3/2013 6:28:00 AM More reviews by kinta80s

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Purchased this literally 1 second after hearing Wayne Goss raving about it in his vlog.

This is actually the most expensive eyeshadow primer that I own. I've been purchasing UDPP and TFSI from sites that offers free world wide shipping such as beautybay and lookfantastic. Sad thing that I live far from the states and getting the shipping here alone is pretty expensive.

People have been raving that the package just looks cute, etc. But who would buy primer in a pot container? Hygiene isn't my main concern (although it has raised some questions too), but I find the product to be drying easily in the pot, maybe because the pot that I received wasn't sealed properly or airtight.

I still find UDPP, TFSI, elf, MUA primers to do a much better job at keeping my eyeshadow intact and away from fading. But rather than throwing this useless thing to trash, I normally try to pop it to microwave for 30 seconds for it to wet just enough before application, and put on fyrinnae pixie epoxy over the eyeshadow helper to prolong the lasting power (I find my urban decay naked eyeshadows to fade into merely 10% opacity after 4 hours of application with this on).

Guess in the long run when it has dried to some certain degree in the pot and I'm already tired of microwaving it, I'd use it as lip primer instead. Using unhygienic primer pot to my eyelids will just bring pink eyes :/

P.S. If you don't seem to support her business ethics due to the ongoing scandals after googling the brand name, you might want to try Ka'oir primer that's also waterproof and in pots - found out that they're actually manufactured from the same laboratory. http://doedeerelies.tumblr.com/post/35571592197/i-was-a-lime-crime-fan-but-i-am-cured-now-her

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 7:51:00 AM More reviews by lfreyn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this product for oily lids. I don't understand why people think this is unhygienic, use a spatula and brush or just use the handle end of your brush to get it out! I prefer that it's in a pot so I can scoop it out and then apply with a brush from the back of my hand, my fingers never have to touch the product at all. Better than the UDPP wand or any squeezy tubes where it's easy to touch the nozzle.

You get lots in this little pot, and have to be careful not to use very much otherwise it can give a cakey look to your eyeshadow. I recently did a friend's make-up using this and went out clubbing all night with her so could see the wear - 24 hours later, as she didn't remove it before going to bed (bad!), no creasing on her oily lids! Amazing! The shadow had faded but really, how much can you ask. It looked fab for 12 hours.

It's difficult to remove though (well, if it's going to last it would have to be), I recommend using some high quality jojoba oil to dissolve it rather than scrub with weak cleansers or soap.

I've had this for a year now and still have quite a bit left, about a third, that's after using it fairly regularly including using it thinly all over the face for waterproof make-ups and also for blocking eyebrows, where you need to use quite alot.

NOTE - Oh yeah, it's great for blocking eyebrows! Safer and nicer than using gluestick, and seals the eyebrows just as well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2012 4:53:00 AM More reviews by jaylyn85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was so hoping that this product would be the end of my search for a primer that actually works for my oily lids, sadly I'm still looking. I have super dry skin but super oily eyelid's and I think I have tried pretty much every well known primer there is nothing has worked for me so far.
This primer actually did stop my eyeshadow from creasing but it didn't stop it from fading. By the end of the day I looked like I had never used a primer in the first place. I also found that this did not increase the vibrancy of my eyeshadow. This primer is pretty expensive and compared to others you don't really get a lot. I also hate that is comes in a pot, I really don't find it hygienic and it's a pain to have to use a brush.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/29/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Ragw33d

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a sample of this when I ordered my chinadoll palette, and I was a bit excited because even the little sample was adorable. So I decided to switch out my normal TFSI one day for the candy eyed primer... not good. Although I really like the texture of the primer it just didn't work on me at all. And I tried it on with lime crime eyeshadow, I used the goldfish and lotus noir pressed eyeshadows from the chinadoll palette, so I'm sure its not just a bad combination. The shadows were not a vibrant as with TFSI and it creased within an hour. =( I'm glad this works so glad for some others, but I'm just happy I got a sample and didn't buy it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2012 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Celestial_Sky

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

FINALLY!!!...completely creaseless eyeshadow for the day. I'm THRILLED I bought this. I have very oily eyelids and have tried so many eye shadow primers; Urban Decay Primer Potion, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, NARS eye primer, MAC Paint Pots,...and they all creased in various degrees. I didn't think there was anything better on the market. This is the only primer that creases the least,..yes, the least, I still get a tinsy bit of a line on my lid with this HOWEVER, if I apply this and then top with a MAC Paint Pot and then dust face powder on top of that, I get completely crease free shadow all day. I'm tempted to throw out all the other eye shadow primers I have because I haven't touched them since I bought this. Love, love, love!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is great stuff!

I have *extremely* oily lids, and even good-quality eyeshadow creases on me in a matter of minutes, if I don't use a primer.

Urban Decay Primer Potion didn't work well for me, Mary Kay was mediocre, MAC Paint Pot was a fail, and Blinc primer was good but not stellar. Nars worked well, but I wanted a cruelty-free alternative.

Enter Eyeshadow Helper. It's made by Lime Crime, a cruelty-free company, so, in spite of Eyeshadow Helper's mixed reviews, I decided to give it a try.

Eyeshadow Helper is not cheap, at $17 a pop, but you get a good amount of product in a screw-top pot. I use a flat concealer brush to load a very small amount(believe me, you do not want to put this on too thickly!) of Eyeshadow Helper, smooth it on my lids, and let it set for a few minutes. It's super sticky, which takes some getting used to. After it's well-set, I brush a very thin layer of translucent powder on top, then apply my powder eyeshadows and liner. With Eyeshadow Helper, it takes 5-6 hours for my lids to develop the "greasy creasies," which for me is outstanding. My only complaints about Eyeshadow Helper are its price, its very light color (almost too light even for my NW15 skin), and its extreme stickiness.

The good far outweighs the not-so-good, though, so I expect to keep on buying Eyeshadow Helper.