July 31, 2014 | 1829 users online

Lipstick - Tarte - Natural Lip Stain with LipSurgence in Moody

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2011 5:35:00 PM More reviews by machochick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this in deluxe size as a freebie, in color MOODY.

I was skeptical on lip stains because nothing really last that long on me. I've tried lots already (drugstores to high-end). Since it was free, I got to try it and to my surprise, loved it!

It is long wearing, the color frightened me at first, but it was a really nice reddish color, it works as a lip pencil AND lip stain. Easy to apply.

It's very moisturizing too! I usually have dry chapped lips and I always bring and have to put on lip balm several times during the day. But with this lip stain, it keeps it soft and moisturized. I only have to swipe it in the morning and will leave my lips look fresh til noon. I only need to apply after lunch and I'm good until working hours :)

Will definitely buy the full size and try other colors :) I minus a star b/c of the price :(

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2011 6:47:00 PM More reviews by Jescaoh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The formula of these lip tints are amazing. I love the way it feels on my lips and adds a natural shine to them. They feel very much like a lip balm. The color is a berry red color, which on my pigmented lips just makes them a more even berry color ( a my lips but better look). It is a beautiful lip color without looking like I'm trying to hard. It lasted a decent amount on my lips but I dont think I would call this a lip tint. I like the product a lot but the price is a little steep.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2011 2:54:00 PM More reviews by oooSLICKooo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a dupe for Clinique's Black Honey Almost Lipstick. Its a glossy reddish brown that is absolutely flattering on anyone I've put this on. Its a good swipe and go. Can be layered for more intensity. One lippie off for longevity...doesn't last very long or stain. But because of its beauty I'd give it a 4.5. Nice minty fresh scent and flavor, feels nice on, and best of all it's completely without sulfates, phltalates, parabens, etc....

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2011 6:13:00 PM More reviews by jany177

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

At first I wasn't crazy about the color. Looks a tad red on me, not a more versatile berry, which I was expecting I could wear more often. It is still a gorgeous look when layered up and sported as a bold glossy lip. Though I love the glossy feel and look of it, the slippery application bugs me sometimes -- lasting power is nil because it's a more juicy and soft formula than a clinging one. I wouldn't buy it again because overall I just don't use it as much as I do my other Tarte lip products, but if you regularly do a glossy, reddish berry color and you don't mind the price tag, go for it. I think it looks lovely with subdued eyes and slightly flushed cheeks.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2011 8:14:00 PM More reviews by debdo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've found this plum berry color looks good as a blush. On my lips it feels like a balm but it doesn't last like a stain. It makes a natural flush on my fair skin. I love the packaging in the twist up bottom. Its just too expensive and I will probaly not re buy. It will last me a lifetime so why would I re buy?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 11:18:00 AM More reviews by syeung2

Product - Tarte calls this "deep berry". On me it's a sheer deep berry, and pulls more red-brown than the plummy shade of the packaging. Somewhat moisturizing and glossy and wears like a tinted balm. Stains slightly. Slight fruity scent.

Comparisons - Reminds me of Tarte's 24/7 lip balm in Tuesday.

Packaging - Twist-up crayon pencil with silvertone cap. Plastic casing reflects the shade inside. Be careful not to nick the pointy tip of the product with the lid when you put the lid back on :)

Overall - Really liking the product but not the pricetag ($24 each). continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 2:35:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Stumbled upon this collection of sheer moist stain pencils by Tarte the other day & fell in love with the wet moist transparent formula. LipSurgence is the right name for this product! Very moisturizing. Gives lips a somewhat wet sensation, something to take into account if that's not your cup of tea. I like my lips to feel moisturized, but I admit that a wet feeling takes some getting used to (think Aquafina Flavor Splash lip balm!) Happily, even after I wiped the product off, my lips didn't dry out. (Note, when you wipe off the product, all the color is removed.. no visible stain of color is left on the lips.)
Love the solid pencil formula & the efficient twist-up pencil packaging.. Tarte has a winner here.. no product wasted, no product breakage during handling, no leaking, no fuss or muss, completely effortless application just like applying any lipstick or lipbalm. No telltale liplines either.
Super-expensive at $24 but then again most high-end products from Sephora run in this price range (or higher!), plus you get an acceptably decent amount of product in the packaging (about half the tube's length I would say).
I wanted to like Moody but the color turnout on my lips is not the same as the packaging. On my lips it comes out more brownish or tawny than the moody plum of the plastic tube...I was disappointed. So I didn't buy this. Enchanted also doesn't come out the color of its tube but a very pretty sheer natural bubblegum pink (the package looks more tawny-mauve). So I really recommend you test the colors out on yourself & you can't really gauge accurate color by the packaging, & $24 a pop is a lot of money to pay for a color you may end up disliking on your lips. Hence 1 lippie off my rating.
Shade notwithstanding, the formula is very sheer & moist, making it easily workable even if the color's different than what you thought you'd get. They are all beautiful shades & all of them are flattering & natural, but I'm very fussy about my berry/plum/cool shades & if it's not quite right, I'm not happy. I wish Tarte made this moist lippie in a sheer grape color as well... to me that would be perfection.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by PeggyA

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a nice, sheer deep berry lip color but it wears off quickly and leave no trace of color on my lips. I find it difficult to believe that Tarte is trying to pass this off as a lip stain. In the past few years I have bought almost every product on the market that is labeled as a lip stain so I have much to compare this to. This is the least lip staining product I have encountered. This is an okay lipstick but I have an abundance of sheer berry colored lipsticks, I wouldn't have purchased this just for the color. The peppermint scent is not as strong or obnoxious as some lip products but I still prefer cosmetics that are unscented. If I want scent I prefer to use perfume.