Revlon ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup

3.1

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (3.7%). Non-Medicinal/Other Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Mica, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Butylene Glycol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Boron Nitride, Lauroyl Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Viola Tricolor Extract, Methicone, Sodium Polyacrylate, Potassium Sorbate, Diazolidinyl Urea. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499).

This stuff is just gross.

Here's why:

-TOO MUCH SHIMMER. I'm trying to cover blemishes on my face, not point to them with giant glittery disco ball chunks

-Cakes like all hell. Literally just sits on top of your skin.

-Sorry but the "cooling sensation" is awful. Every time I put the stuff on my face it feels like the brush is wet and I'm smearing on mineral powder with a dirty wet brush which just feels disgusting and I just can't get over that.

Main reason I purchased this was it was on sale, and it actually had a shade light enough for my super pale skin, which is very rare especially mineral makeup. So that was great, too bad everything else about the performance of this product sucks.

on 12/12/2013 2:13:00 PM

I just bought this product today. My first impression of it is refreshing. it felt very cool nd light on my skin. I rlly like how clever they was with the little brush. hoe its built into the cap. lol but i will buy this again totally worth the money.

on 12/8/2013 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Neutral

Meh. The brush included works if you have no other option, but it is quite stiff and difficult to use. It is quite bulky packaging, but I am glad that there was a sifter and the brush is collapsible and fits into the lid. Now onto the product inside. This product definitely has some novelty in it with the cooling sensation that you will feel when the powder is brushed onto your face. BUT this product has very little coverage. If you have great skin, then this will give you a nice finish. It has some glitter in it, but it won't make you look like a disco ball. I was not expecting this to have any mattifying properties because it is called Colorstay Aqua, but I would like to mention that it made no difference to my skin. It did not make it more or less oily. This does come with a lot of product, but will get cakey if layers of this are applied. That is why I cannot emphasize enough that this is for people with good skin who would like a bit of glow and a nice finish.

on 11/17/2013 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

OMFG cake face. This is the cakiest powder I've ever used. Even the tiniest amount settles into every single line, pore and crease. It feels heavy AND drying (where is this moisturizing property?). It's basically the worst powder I've used. I returned it. Waste of money and ruined my makeup for the day. So bad I had to wash my face after putting it on as I wouldn't want to be seen in public. Yuck. Awful. Its only redeeming quality is that it's really fun to put on as it has a cooling effect. But guess what, so do lots of other powders that aren't terrible.

on 11/13/2013 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff! It gives great coverage, but its still light feeling! I use this with the Revlon Colorstay 24 hour foundation, and they go perfect together. When I bought this (11/13/14) Ulta had their Revlon foundations buy one get one half off, so I just ended up paying $6. I even use the brush that came with it. Will buy again :)

on 11/13/2013 7:42:00 PM

I was uncertain about trying this foundation after reading other reviews. However, I was determined to find a mineral powder foundation that would work for me after reading an article in Marie Claire that said mineral powders are the best option during the winter, as they skim over any dry flakes of skin, whereas liquid foundation clings to and accentuates them. Let me say first, that I have always avoided powder foundation under these assumptions: it wouldn't provide great coverage, would look cakey/powdery, would settle into my (sigh) fine lines, and wouldn't hold up through the day. Let me further say, I have tried a world of liquid/cream/mousse foundations ranging from drugstore brands to Armani, Chanel, Bobbi Brown Lancôme, MAC, etc. and never found a single one I liked. So: what a surprise to try the Aqua Mineral Makeup and fall completely in love. Great coverage, gave me a smooth, airbrushed look without being cakey or fake and yes: nicely slid over a few dry patches I have here and there. And it feels amazing going on: a cooling, hydrating sensation. Best of all: it still looked great 8 hours later without a single touch up. After that long, I did a quick dusting with a translucent powder just to absorb a little nose shine. Love this, love that they have a Fair shade for my very pale self, and love how it wears. I am no longer dreading a cold winter of embarrassing, scaling, blotchy skin.

on 11/11/2013 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I just picked this product up today and was blown away by my first impression. To begin I have very dry skin, very scaly/flaky around my mouth and chin area and no amount of moisturizer or oils will fix it. It's probably an internal health issue to be honest, I never stay very well hydrated but I digress. The idea of trying a powder product really urked me. It only emphasizes my flakes. A lot of my liquid foundations even dry to a finish that cracks and clings. But as I scoped for something new (as if I really need it I have so many foundations) I saw this, a powder, with the word aqua on it. That doesn't even sound logical right? I was so intrigued, coconut water!? That sounded so heavenly I immediately picked it up being that it was the last one (even though the shade was a little too dark for me).

I unpackaged it in the car as impatient as I am and swatched it on my hand as I do with all my makeup and was put off by the fact that it had noticeable specks of glitter. I could just picture the disco happening on my face already. Not to mention it was settling into the lines, not into it. I could see the foundation I had on for the day already was making my face look flaky and dry so I decided that when I got home from school I'd remove my makeup and try this. Now one has to understand: I applied this over a bbcream (missha perfect skin). I did not use this on it's own because during class I actually read makeupalley reviews that said the coverage wasn't enough on it's own.

The packaging is beautiful, the brush isn't complete crap either, a little small but nice quality if you're in a pinch. I used my own essential tools kabuki brush and used a liberal amount of product. THE FEELING WHEN IT TOUCHES YOUR SKIN I WAS IN SHOCK. A cooling effect similar to when you splash water on your face. It was very smooth looking and feeling and very soft. I then needed to use a second liberal amount to finish my face so that's a con that you do need to use a lot. When I looked in the mirror I was in awe of the way it helped my skin look plumper and the flakes that I was so accustomed to on my upper lip were virtually gone. And though my acne was still visible (some of the coverage from my bbcream had been wiped away from the friction from the brush) it didn't have the scales around it from my constant treatments of them.

I am overall very happy with this product but intend on getting an exchange for color since medium/light was a little too dark for me- workable, but too dark for winter. I cannot wait to continue using this throughout my dryest season!

So a quick Pros and Cons
Pros
A cool moisturizing feel
A very wearable satin finish
Smooths
Lovely Packaging
Light feeling

Cons
Glitter cannot be seen on my skin but if you're oily it will probably accentuate those
problem areas
Kind of expensive for drugstore powder
You need to use a lot for desired coverage or affect
---
Update!
I've tried this over top of the loreal truematch lumi foundation which I hated because of how clung to my dry patches (weird for a product with lumi in the name). It literally just gives a boost of radiance and smoothness to everything I've tried it with. I have not tried it yet on it's own because I don't really see the point, it performs it's best from what I've seen so far over other products. If you have dry skin like me or dry patches I would use this to "set" over foundations, bbcreams, and tinted moisturizers. I am in love

I keep reading other reviewers who are saying that this is a finishing powder. It is not a finishing powder. The ColorStay Aqua mineral makeup with the Black top is a stand alone foundation. There is, however, a ColorStay aqua mineral finishing powder that has a white top.
I really like this foundation. I was looking for a light coverage foundation. It is a powder, but it feels cool when applying to your face. It has coconut water in it that gives it that refreshing feeling. I'm very oily, but I still have flaky skin in certain areas of my face despite exfoliating and moisturizing. This powder kept the oil away while making the dry patches disappear. It was still matte even hours later. It covered very well for me. It also seems like you could build coverage as well. It doesn't seem like I have much on, but it evens my tone and covers red spots. I like how soft it makes my face. I haven't had any acne breakouts after using it. The shimmer doesn't bother me. There is shimmer in the Revlon PhotoReady line as well and I've noticed it does make your makeup look better in pictures.
The packaging is pretty neat. I like how the brush clicks into the lid. I do think that the brush is a bit too small. I use a kabuki brush to buff the foundation out. My only complaint about the packaging is that the powder comes out of the base too easily. It would be nice to have a sliding lid to stop the powder from coming out when the lid is on. The price is a little steep to me, but it's probably not expensive compared to other makeup lines.

Overall, I really love this makeup.

on 10/13/2013 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've been using this for a few months, mainly because i was unable to buy something different. I am NOT a fan. Firstly, the coverage is awful. I don't even have problem skin, but I feel like translucent powder might be more effective than this. Secondly, it makes my skin appear really oily. I never had problems with this before the product, but now I have disco ball skin after just a couple of hours. by the way, it looks visibly sparkly upon application. I don't like the wet feeling, it feels gross and heavy to be but that is just a personal preference. The wet feeling is also a stupid and useless addition, as it is just caused by a higher alcohol level-it does nothing. I do not recommend.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Colorstay Aqua: so many promises...so little results. I have used this product on and off for a couple of months. Here are my observations:

PROS:
- Did not break me out (I have acne-prone skin, but this product did not irritate it at all)
- Fresh "cool" feeling when applying (as mentioned by numerous other reviews)
- Light weight, casual coverage
- Included brush is actually very nice

CONS:
- Extremely minimal coverage (I have a few small hyperpigmented spots on my cheeks where there used to be acne and it did not cover those much at all)
- Not super convenient to apply with the small brush
- Does not last (I think it lasts for MAYBE a couple of hours, max)
- Makes oil-prone skin look much oilier after a couple of hours
- Need to use a lot of product to get any sense of coverage

Summary:
The ideal use of this product for me would be on a day that I am running casual errands like grocery shopping and don't want to go through the trouble of applying full makeup, but also don't want to leave the house bare-faced. I just brush on some of this, a bit of blush and lip gloss and I have a nice natural look with a more even skin tone...and it doesn't feel like I am wearing a bunch of goop. I would not want to use this for camping (as some have previously mentioned) because when you're outdoors you're dealing with all of the elements and this makeup will not hold up. Instead, I prefer to use the Colorstay liquid foundation with a dab of moisturizer and just use some really good facial wipes (the exfoliating kind) to get it off before I wash my face at night (yes, I am a bit of a high-maintenance camper, lol). Contrary to a lot of reviewers, I actually like the brush that comes with it and I think it would provide better coverage and use up less product than a kabuki brush (the powder will get lost/stuck in a kabuki brush). However, I don't think I'll purchase this again due to the price and the shine factor. I feel like there are more effective products out there.