November 24, 2014 | 1709 users online

Powder - Revlon - ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2013 11:38:00 PM More reviews by saragarlen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! It gives great coverage, but its still light feeling! I use this with the Revlon Colorstay 24 hour foundation, and they go perfect together. When I bought this (11/13/14) Ulta had their Revlon foundations buy one get one half off, so I just ended up paying $6. I even use the brush that came with it. Will buy again :)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Tobeygirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was uncertain about trying this foundation after reading other reviews. However, I was determined to find a mineral powder foundation that would work for me after reading an article in Marie Claire that said mineral powders are the best option during the winter, as they skim over any dry flakes of skin, whereas liquid foundation clings to and accentuates them. Let me say first, that I have always avoided powder foundation under these assumptions: it wouldn't provide great coverage, would look cakey/powdery, would settle into my (sigh) fine lines, and wouldn't hold up through the day. Let me further say, I have tried a world of liquid/cream/mousse foundations ranging from drugstore brands to Armani, Chanel, Bobbi Brown Lancôme, MAC, etc. and never found a single one I liked. So: what a surprise to try the Aqua Mineral Makeup and fall completely in love. Great coverage, gave me a smooth, airbrushed look without being cakey or fake and yes: nicely slid over a few dry patches I have here and there. And it feels amazing going on: a cooling, hydrating sensation. Best of all: it still looked great 8 hours later without a single touch up. After that long, I did a quick dusting with a translucent powder just to absorb a little nose shine. Love this, love that they have a Fair shade for my very pale self, and love how it wears. I am no longer dreading a cold winter of embarrassing, scaling, blotchy skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by Marlenejane

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just picked this product up today and was blown away by my first impression. To begin I have very dry skin, very scaly/flaky around my mouth and chin area and no amount of moisturizer or oils will fix it. It's probably an internal health issue to be honest, I never stay very well hydrated but I digress. The idea of trying a powder product really urked me. It only emphasizes my flakes. A lot of my liquid foundations even dry to a finish that cracks and clings. But as I scoped for something new (as if I really need it I have so many foundations) I saw this, a powder, with the word aqua on it. That doesn't even sound logical right? I was so intrigued, coconut water!? That sounded so heavenly I immediately picked it up being that it was the last one (even though the shade was a little too dark for me).

I unpackaged it in the car as impatient as I am and swatched it on my hand as I do with all my makeup and was put off by the fact that it had noticeable specks of glitter. I could just picture the disco happening on my face already. Not to mention it was settling into the lines, not into it. I could see the foundation I had on for the day already was making my face look flaky and dry so I decided that when I got home from school I'd remove my makeup and try this. Now one has to understand: I applied this over a bbcream (missha perfect skin). I did not use this on it's own because during class I actually read makeupalley reviews that said the coverage wasn't enough on it's own.

The packaging is beautiful, the brush isn't complete crap either, a little small but nice quality if you're in a pinch. I used my own essential tools kabuki brush and used a liberal amount of product. THE FEELING WHEN IT TOUCHES YOUR SKIN I WAS IN SHOCK. A cooling effect similar to when you splash water on your face. It was very smooth looking and feeling and very soft. I then needed to use a second liberal amount to finish my face so that's a con that you do need to use a lot. When I looked in the mirror I was in awe of the way it helped my skin look plumper and the flakes that I was so accustomed to on my upper lip were virtually gone. And though my acne was still visible (some of the coverage from my bbcream had been wiped away from the friction from the brush) it didn't have the scales around it from my constant treatments of them.

I am overall very happy with this product but intend on getting an exchange for color since medium/light was a little too dark for me- workable, but too dark for winter. I cannot wait to continue using this throughout my dryest season!

So a quick Pros and Cons
Pros
A cool moisturizing feel
A very wearable satin finish
Smooths
Lovely Packaging
Light feeling

Cons
Glitter cannot be seen on my skin but if you're oily it will probably accentuate those
problem areas
Kind of expensive for drugstore powder
You need to use a lot for desired coverage or affect
---
Update!
I've tried this over top of the loreal truematch lumi foundation which I hated because of how clung to my dry patches (weird for a product with lumi in the name). It literally just gives a boost of radiance and smoothness to everything I've tried it with. I have not tried it yet on it's own because I don't really see the point, it performs it's best from what I've seen so far over other products. If you have dry skin like me or dry patches I would use this to "set" over foundations, bbcreams, and tinted moisturizers. I am in love

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 8:16:00 PM More reviews by dramaminedream22

I keep reading other reviewers who are saying that this is a finishing powder. It is not a finishing powder. The ColorStay Aqua mineral makeup with the Black top is a stand alone foundation. There is, however, a ColorStay aqua mineral finishing powder that has a white top.
I really like this foundation. I was looking for a light coverage foundation. It is a powder, but it feels cool when applying to your face. It has coconut water in it that gives it that refreshing feeling. I'm very oily, but I still have flaky skin in certain areas of my face despite exfoliating and moisturizing. This powder kept the oil away while making the dry patches disappear. It was still matte even hours later. It covered very well for me. It also seems like you could build coverage as well. It doesn't seem like I have much on, but it evens my tone and covers red spots. I like how soft it makes my face. I haven't had any acne breakouts after using it. The shimmer doesn't bother me. There is shimmer in the Revlon PhotoReady line as well and I've noticed it does make your makeup look better in pictures.
The packaging is pretty neat. I like how the brush clicks into the lid. I do think that the brush is a bit too small. I use a kabuki brush to buff the foundation out. My only complaint about the packaging is that the powder comes out of the base too easily. It would be nice to have a sliding lid to stop the powder from coming out when the lid is on. The price is a little steep to me, but it's probably not expensive compared to other makeup lines.

Overall, I really love this makeup.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/13/2013 1:20:00 PM More reviews by purploscity

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for a few months, mainly because i was unable to buy something different. I am NOT a fan. Firstly, the coverage is awful. I don't even have problem skin, but I feel like translucent powder might be more effective than this. Secondly, it makes my skin appear really oily. I never had problems with this before the product, but now I have disco ball skin after just a couple of hours. by the way, it looks visibly sparkly upon application. I don't like the wet feeling, it feels gross and heavy to be but that is just a personal preference. The wet feeling is also a stupid and useless addition, as it is just caused by a higher alcohol level-it does nothing. I do not recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by makeupaddict777

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Colorstay Aqua: so many promises...so little results. I have used this product on and off for a couple of months. Here are my observations:

PROS:
- Did not break me out (I have acne-prone skin, but this product did not irritate it at all)
- Fresh "cool" feeling when applying (as mentioned by numerous other reviews)
- Light weight, casual coverage
- Included brush is actually very nice

CONS:
- Extremely minimal coverage (I have a few small hyperpigmented spots on my cheeks where there used to be acne and it did not cover those much at all)
- Not super convenient to apply with the small brush
- Does not last (I think it lasts for MAYBE a couple of hours, max)
- Makes oil-prone skin look much oilier after a couple of hours
- Need to use a lot of product to get any sense of coverage

Summary:
The ideal use of this product for me would be on a day that I am running casual errands like grocery shopping and don't want to go through the trouble of applying full makeup, but also don't want to leave the house bare-faced. I just brush on some of this, a bit of blush and lip gloss and I have a nice natural look with a more even skin tone...and it doesn't feel like I am wearing a bunch of goop. I would not want to use this for camping (as some have previously mentioned) because when you're outdoors you're dealing with all of the elements and this makeup will not hold up. Instead, I prefer to use the Colorstay liquid foundation with a dab of moisturizer and just use some really good facial wipes (the exfoliating kind) to get it off before I wash my face at night (yes, I am a bit of a high-maintenance camper, lol). Contrary to a lot of reviewers, I actually like the brush that comes with it and I think it would provide better coverage and use up less product than a kabuki brush (the powder will get lost/stuck in a kabuki brush). However, I don't think I'll purchase this again due to the price and the shine factor. I feel like there are more effective products out there.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2013 7:47:00 AM More reviews by andToto2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

Contrary to what is written below, this IS a foundation. If you check Revlon's own website, it is marketed as a foundation. As it is in most of the store displays I have seen. Whether it works well as a foundation, or whether you choose to use it as a foundation, that is an individual decision. But that is what it supposed to be.

Personally, I am really on the fence with this. I have been using Maybelline Purestay powder foundation for quite some time, and it was the best powder foundation for me that I had ever found, high or low end. But of course, it has been discontinued. Isn't that what so often happens with products we can't live without? I am trying to find a new powder foundation. I am thinking this will not be it.

I really don't like the wet feel of it. I think it makes it hard to use. I use a lot of product to do my whole face, because the initial wetness of it makes it hard to distribute. It doesn't go very far. I agree with others who say this does not cover much. I have good skin, so for me it is enough. But if you have issues and need good coverage, this doesn't have it. So for those people, it may work as a finishing powder over other foundations. For me, it wouldn't be worth the work to use it that way. I like a finishing powder to glide on effortlessly and quickly.

The finish this gives me is good, and it does hold up well through the day. My skin is not oily anymore, except for my forehead. I am not sure how this will look in the winter when my skin gets drier. I have tried a few different ways to apply it, different brushes, a makeup sponge. Not quite sure I've got the best method yet. The little brush with it isn't the best, but it works ok.

I don't know if I would repurchase this or not. I'm leaning towards no at this point. I would probably just continue on my quest to find a good replacement for the Maybelline.

Edited on 1-19-14 I wore this again last week after having put it away for a while. I got a look at myself in outdoor light. Horrified. I looked like a sparkly mess. Threw it away, will absolutely not buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2013 6:49:00 AM More reviews by orangepoopie

OMG. If this is classified as a foundation, then why is it categorised as 'Powder'? Now I'm confused.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2013 11:18:00 AM More reviews by Jenn1189

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think you guys need to read the product before purchasing. This is a mineral finishing powder used to set your foundation. It is not meant for coverage. My skin is prone to break outs and is very uneven, and I use this to set my makeup. I think it works very well for what it is intended for.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2013 12:49:00 PM More reviews by Sandylynwalker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First, I am super fair, so I have to applaud Revlon for making shades light enough for me. I wear the ColorStay Whipped Creme in Ivory 110 and the ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup in Fair (the lightest shades) over top of it. I've used the powder for about 6 months, and tried it over Revlon ColorStay liquid foundation and the whipped formulation (if you haven't, try the whipped!! so good!). I have really really dry skin, and many foundations/powders look cakey or emphasize dry spots or dry my skin out, but these two are so impressive together.
My Method:
I apply the Whipped Creme foundation with my fingers, and then apply a liberal amount of the Aqua powder in small circles with a RealTechniques buffing brush, then I do the rest of my makeup. For a quick refresh or to set my entire face I'll dust on a little of the powder with a RealTechniques powder brush.
Ok, about the ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup specifically:
-The packaging is fine, the brush is pretty useless, maybe good in a pinch or on the go. I use a RealTechniques buffing or powder brush for best results. I hate those little sifter things, I find them hard to use, so I tap out product into the lid and swirl my brushes around in the lid to pick up product.
-The coverage is very light. This might be because I have such a light shade. It's really more of a perfecting step for me, not to build coverage as the ColorStay Whipped has pretty high coverage already. I find that when I apply it it feels cool or refreshing, it feels very light and hydrating. It also doesn't cling to any dry patches, and it doesn't build up and look cakey.
-The finish is stunning!! Having dry skin, I'm always battling dullness, but a dusting of this makes me look fresh, awake, and healthy. If you apply a heavy swatch on your hand you can see the shimmer in it, but it isn't at all like the Revlon PhotoReady products which turned my face into a disco ball. On the face, even up close, there's no noticeable shimmer. It photographs very well.
-The staying power is also great, I find that the ColorStay line does have impressive staying power. My face looks fine throughout the day, but if I want it especially flawless I just use my RealTechniques buffing brush and a little more of the powder to refresh and rebuff the products into my skin.

I highly recommend this product if you're looking for a lightweight, healthy glow. It's not the cheapest drugstore option, but I've used mine every day for 6 months now and am only just hitting the halfway point.