April 23, 2014 | 1954 users online

Eyes - E.L.F. - 32 shadow palette

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2012 2:45:00 PM More reviews by jkpetite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

It's worth about $5, tops. The case is hard to open until you realize that you have to pull it apart. The selection of colors looks nice in the packaging, however, they disappoint when applied. Even with primer and a base, the color didn't even last 3 hours. The shadows are not pigmented at all and don't apply evenly. Most of the product is lost in the fallout. That being said, I do like some of the colors as they're understated enough for me to get away with at work. This palette should last me a while since I barely use it, so I won't need to repurchase in the future.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2012 7:09:00 PM More reviews by SparklyBeauty

I bought the warm 32 palette from E.L.F. towards the beginning of my obsession with makeup (:D). I had seen palettes before and wanted one badly, since I only had a small cheap one with 12 shadows I had gotten from Walgreens for $.99. Since this one wasn't expensive at all (it was $5) and I had decided when I started wearing eyeshadow they weren't going to be hugely bold and most were going to be neutral, I went for it.
At the time, since I didn't know how to test makeup to see if it was quality, I was very excited and happy with this palette, which features silvers, very loose gold sparkles, shades of beige and brown and a shimmery and matte black. Now, however, looking back at this it wasn't worth $5 (which, even though most are only $1, is the reaction I have towards many of the E.L.F. products I buy.)
This palette is extremely hard to open, nearly impossible without breaking a nail! How am I supposed to get it open? With a screwdriver? The shadows are hardly good quality, very chalky and untrue from the pan to the lid. I was very dissapointed when I tried to use both the blacks; they hardly showed up even when wet. The gold sparkle shade isn't shadow; it's loose sparkles that ended up all over my cheeks and was, as I nicknamed it, Fallout City!! I never use this palette anymore, and it is all the way on the bottom of my eye shadow palette collection.

SparklyBeauty
(Feel free to send me a message!)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2012 2:12:00 AM More reviews by Les281

You pay what you get for. I do like this palette and use it for days I wont be wearing MU for a long time and just want a nice wash of color on the lids. The bronzy colors are really pretty on this

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2012 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Bucephala

Horrible! The shadows are chalky, sheer and hard to work with. I'd rather spend more money and get beautiful, smooth shadows. Some of the colours in here are weird too. These's chunky glitter. I'll be giving this to my niece to play with.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2012 11:06:00 AM More reviews by 2ksmom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a 32-pan ‘warm’ palette at Target after Christmas for $4.15. It caught my eye because it was cheap, and it had a lot of shades I regularly use (taupes, plums, browns). I like it, though it won’t replace my ‘staple’ eyeshadows. It will likely wind up in my travel bag, since it pretty much has any shade I’d need conveniently in one palette. The only thing that would make this even better would be the addition of a green/olive shade(s).

The packaging of this is plastic with a clear lid so the shades are visible. The lid is a little hard to pry open. It comes with a chintzy foam-tip applicator which I never use. I use my ELF eyeshadow brush. It contains 4 rows of 8 shadows. There is over a full ounce of total product. Each pan is about ½ in by ½ in.

There is a variety of netural-warm shades as well as textures which can be used in endless combinations for natural to dramatic looks. There are shimmer, matte, and glitter shades. The pigmentation varies depending on the shade/texture; generally speaking, the shimmery shades are softer and more pigmented, the glitter shades are more chalky and less pigmented, and the matte shades are kind of hit-or-miss. I only use the darker, matte shades wet as eyeliner, so the texture doesn’t really matter so much to me.

The shades are arranged (somewhat) by color family. The top row is pale base/highlight shades & taupes. The 2nd row is brown tones. The 3rd row is pinks & plums. And the bottom row is the darker ‘smoky’ shades. There’s only a handful of shades I’ll probably never touch, so I do think this is a well edited collection of neutral/warm shades.

For the most part, these apply easily and last all day (over my ELF primer). There is a little fallout depending on the shade, but nothing too bothersome. They layer and blend pretty easily.

Overall I like this collection since it contains many of the shades I wear on a regular basis. It would be good if you’re looking to ‘streamline’ your makeup collection or if you’re just starting out with eye makeup. It’s a solid collection of neutrals with a nice variety of textures. (Not a lot of 'color variety’ in this palette, though). The shadows apply & wear well, with only a few exceptions. The quality of the shadows is comparable to most mid-range brands. Recommended!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/27/2011 5:37:00 AM More reviews by sunkissed88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

32 shades for $5 is a great deal, but this palette is difficult to work with and I just don't have the patience. I have the neutral palette and some of the colors are really nice. My favorite is probably the rich brown color that is very pigmented, creamy, and not chalky. I wish I could say all the colors in the palette were similar, but they are not. Many of the shadows are very dusty while some of them are nice. The palette frustrates me because I haven't used all the shades, when I'm doing my makeup if I use a shade that is dusty/chalky/very poorly pigmented, I pretty much have to wipe my eyeshadows off and start all over again. I don't really have the patience for it and i didn't see a light brown that was very nice for a neutral look. I liked the pinks in the palette. Idk, for $5 there's no regret, but I wouldn't repurchase when there are drugstore options like Wet n wild that make nice e/s.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2011 9:05:00 PM More reviews by wai260896

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this in warm. Unfortunately when I received it there were a few shadows that were broken. But never mind that. The eyeshadows are powdery. Pigmentation is pretty good. But the powdery feel just puts me off using it.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/18/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by GreenTea02

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A multi-use palette for me; I own the palette that is in the 2nd picture. I do admit that the colors aren't as vibrant as MAC, Nars, Urban Decay, and Benefit shadows but, the use of a primer helps bring out the colors. My favorite colors are the first row (Contains golds and brows). I use this row to shade in my eyebrows, line my waterline, and create a bronze-gold eye. The bottom row is my least favorite (Black and silver colors). 3 of the colors are exactly alike. The ones that do stand alone are either not pigmented enough or too powdery. The shadows also cause fallouts' and fade with time if you do not prime your lids. I find that the green, blue, and purple shadows are difficult to build color. It takes 5-7 swipes for the color to come through on my medium fair skin. Overall, I can't complain for $5. It's a damn good palette for beginners ;)

My complaints
-The palette lid broke off in less than a month
-Bottom row colors too similar
-Bright colors hard to build color
-Some colors too powdery

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2011 1:26:00 AM More reviews by aharb013

I think it's important to point out that there are a number of versions of the 32 palette from elf. The one I purchased was the volume 1 version of the back to school line this year. It had the neutral tones whereas the other palette in the back to school line had brighter colours.

I think it's great for the price. There are a lot of great shadows in the palette by most standards. There are a few 'duds' in the palette too which lack strong pigmentation but can be built up. There is only one shade not worth using; the glittery shade (only glitter shadow in the palette) in the top right corner.

The current version of the 32 palette on the site under the Studio palette section comes in three colour options: original ( I think), cool, and warm. The warm selection looks exactly like the one I have, so I recommend you check this out.

Most of the shades are shimmery. There is a nice shimmery medium light taupe and silver taupe; a light pink, champagne, peach, cream, and white shimmer; a couple golden browns; a couple purples and a shimmery burgundy; a terra cotta satin brown shade; only one good dark brown that is slightly olive with some shimmer; and a couple unremarkable blacks.

I will likely purchase another colour option next time I make an elf order.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by EvilyKyoko

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pretty good quality for the price. I like some of the brighter colors in here. A lot of the grays and browns looked the same, but the blues and greens are nice, and a few of the sparkling browns surprised me with how unique they were. Most of these are pretty pigmented, if you use them wet or with a base.