Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

on 2/22/2014 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I have stick straight Asian lashes, not short oddly enough, that almost hang down. This product is amazing. One coat under any mascara and my lashes hold a nice curl all day long with the use of a lash curler. Minus a lippie because you need to cover it all(or it looks grayish and odd) and with my last 2 tubes, the formula looks a bit watery and performs ever so slightly not as well as in the past. Still very good and recommended.

on 2/17/2014 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this since I don't use waterproof mascaras anymore but still needed something to hold the curl I made with my shi eyelash curler. Even though it held a curl, it leaves these weird fiber bead things on my lashes that clump up my mascara and i don't know what's in it but it makes my eyes itch like crazy. So sadly I could not use this for my eyelashes anymore. I use it to set my eyebrows and have to wipe the wand so it doesn't leave those weird flaky bead fibers

on 1/27/2014 4:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I can finally give my over worked eyelash curler a break!!! I carry an eyelash curler always with me. I curl my lashes 2-3 times a day, after I already curled and put mascara on from the beginning. My Asian straight, pointed down lashes cannot hold a curl what so ever even with waterproof mascara and I tried everything. My lashes would droop back down. Until THIS. It gives length, volume, and curl holding abilities that last the whole day. I cannot imagine my lashes without it now. HG status. Will definitely buy again.

on 12/24/2013 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I've had this on my Sephora shopping list for years and I finally decided to get it...and it's turning every mascara into the mascara of my dreams. My eyelashes don't hold a curl unless I'm using a waterproof mascara. All non-waterproof mascaras that claim to hold a curl fall flat on me. Why don't I just use waterproof mascaras? Because 1) they are so tough to remove, and 2) I don't need them for the waterproofing qualities. As much as I want and love curled lashes all the time, they are just not worth the effort and lash loss I will ultimately suffer.

But this...! This base holds a curl like a waterproof mascara but doesn't require intense or rough cleansing. I can take it off with any make up remover wipe and it doesn't make my lashes fall out.

I was using Maybelline Full n Soft waterproof as a curling base for other mascaras and even that, despite it's claim to be easy to remove, was still difficult for me. I would find at least 1 - 2 lashes on my make up wipes.

I did not know that they reformulated so I can't speak to that. But I can I am very impressed with the current formula.

It retails for $24 and I plan to repurchase for many years to come. My only regret is not purchasing sooner; I could've spent many more years in lash curl bliss!

on 12/10/2013 3:52:00 PM

I hate to bring ratings down but i have tried this for 2 weeks with different Mascara's and it just didnt do anything to my lashes! Compring it to the Dior Lash Maximizer, Dior wins biiiiiiig time. I exchanged mine for Dior.

on 12/3/2013 10:46:00 AM

I am totally into mascara primers because I will try anything to keep my dang curl! But from all the ones that I've tried, I always end up coming back to this one. Perhaps it's the lighweight gel consistency? It doesn't weigh my lashes down. It also dries rather quickly so depending on your mascara (wet or dry formula) you might have to change how quickly you apply your next coat. Shiseido did have a previous version, which worked just perfect for me, but I have no idea what else they've changed besides the packaging. I notice a difference, but nothing too drastic. I still love this to help my lashes get a little more volume and keep my curl.

on 11/20/2013 7:46:00 AM

I loved the old formula and it was my HG. This new one is nothing like the old one. With the old one my mascara is smudge proof and lashes are curled all day. This one makes my mascara smudge like crazy so I would not repurchase. I'm going to try Anna Sui's next as I heard it's as good as the old one.

on 10/4/2013 11:49:00 AM

Wanted to try this because of the great reviews, even though PC doesn't agree. I absolutely love this product! Makes your mascara look thicker and your lashes look longer. Staying power is terrific. My eyes look as good by the evening as in the morning. Will not be without!

on 9/27/2013 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I never thought that using a mascara base was necessary. I layer a lengthening with a voluminzing mascara & I figured that would be the same thing, but it's not. I love this base. It's a clear gel that coats & separates my lashes. My mascara glides on over it with no clumping. When I curl my lashes (I curl them before I apply anything & then, yes I do, I re-curl them after I am sure that my mascara is dry. After warming my lash curler slightly on my flat iron.) they curl up so pretty! I love this base & it's something I didn't really have any faith in. I'm so glad I tried it.

on 9/10/2013 2:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I haven't tried too many mascara primers/bases but I do really like this one. It doesn't cover the lashes with white goop or fibres which are hard to cover, lengthens and thickens lashes, and holds a curl! Mascaras which normally weigh down my lashes, can be worn on top of this base! It doesn't enhance your lashes to the point that they look dramatic, but it does enhance the look of them and for Asian girls; it's a dream to be able to hold a curl! It also removes fairly easily too. As another reviewer said: apply mascara while the base is still wet/drying, when doing this it applies smoothly, allowing you to avoid clumping. It its a little expensive, but I only do a quick brush through my lashes and the formula/brush only deposits a small amount of formula, preventing wasted product. It also does not expire as quickly as mascara. I'm assuming that anyone can reap the benefits of this, but I think at the very least, it is a product worth checking out if you have Asian lashes that cannot hold a curl.

Popular Mascaras