E.L.F. Essential Lengthening & Defining Mascara

3.1

Price: $

Price: $

Aqua(Water), Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cera Carnauba (Carnauba) Wax, Synthetic Beeswax, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate SE, PVP, Triethanolamine, Triacontanyl PVP, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone May Contain: Iron Oxides(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Believe it or not, I actually like e.l.f. Essential Lengthening & Defining Mascara. I'm always saying the majority of the line's cosmetics are run-of-the-mill, but this $1 mascara is better than a couple of the big brand mascaras I own. I bought it for $1 at Target, in the shade Black. (There is also Black Brown for those of you who are into lighter colours, but I dislike brown mascara.) My eyelashes are naturally long so I don't care about whether or not they're lengthened; however, this did make them fuller & thicker. I loved the results, especially how black the mascara is. It didn't flake off or look clumpy on my lashes.

I have one complaint: it dried—quickly. I only got a handful of uses out of it. It dried up on me in less than a month! I thought I'd gotten a tube that was old or sitting in the store a long time, but upon reading other reviews, other people say theirs was dry upon OPENING. In only a few weeks, this mascara looked like I'd forgotten about it in my collection & it sat for years. While it is reassuring I personally didn't get a defected product, e.l.f. needs to look into improving the formula. Good product, bad packaging.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

For the price- this is pretty incredible. Perfect for basic everyday use.
PROS:
-Insanely inexpensive
-Smudgeproof
-Non-irritant for my sensitive eyes
-Definitely lengthening.
CONS:
-Will not hold a curl.
-If curler is used after application, it will flake.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Well, I see I'm not the only one who disliked this mascara! I actually liked it the first time I used it; I personally had zero problems with the wand, the formula didn't smell overly strange, my eyes didn't burn or sting after application. Plus, it lengthened and defined my lashes. Winner, right?? Nope. This mascara smudged under my eyes every single time I used it. Yup, I looked like a total raccoon. I have oily skin, so this may be why. For a dollar it's certainly worth a try, unless you have oily skin/eyelids. I'd say look elsewhere if that's the case.

I am shocked at how much I like this mascara. I have been so disappointed with both HE and DS products and constantly change my product preference. This one is cheap, goes on well, removes *pretty* well, and if it gets thick I don't mind just tossing it for another one. It keeps the curl in my lashes and lasts all day. I usually end up tossing my mascara every two months or so anyway because my eyes are sensitive and get itchy if I keep my mascara too long. I am pretty sure I have never actually used up a tube of any mascara before tossing.

I hate spending a lot of money on makeup that isn't colorful, like blush and eye shadow, so getting cheap mascara is great. It's a basic for me and I will continue to use it.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I received this mascara as part of a smoky eye holiday set. Firstly, the packaging is horrible. Half the time when opening the product, the cap comes apart. (If you own this, chances are you know what I'm referring to.) Secondly, while I did like the actual formula, it dried out in under a month. I did feel it actually "lengthened" and "defined". I do not believe this was supposed to be a trial size, and even if it were I think it should have lasted a bit longer than 2-3 weeks! I don't even think I'd purchase again for travel purposes. 90% of the time, you get what you pay for with E.L.F. products. I do love their Studio Collection, though!

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I always get this mascara in E.L.F cosmetic kits for eyes. I really like them for a cheap mascara this is really good. I have no problem with clumping and it goes on nice and thin and makes my eye lashes look nice. I like to keep them around in case I need mascara in a pinch. Overall for the price and quality it's worth giving it a try.

So what that you can find this brand at the dollar store?! You get the same quality for 15x the amount of money! This works SOO well for the money. You can put a lot on and it won't clump at all.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This mascara SUCKS, I cant use mine because literally there's so much mascara clogged on the brush! Not to mention the brush is so hard/stiff, too much mascara comes out that when you try to put the brush back in the tube mascara gets trapped at the top so now its pouring out, and not to mention its a pain trying to take this off!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I forgot my makeup and brush case when traveling (yes, you can apparently do this!), so I explored the mega-cheap options for makeup to tide me over through the weekend. I trolled the ELF rack for bargains and picked this up, along with an eyeliner, eyeshadow palette, and brow pencil. This was horrible. It was dry and clumpy and did not want to leave the wand, which is a pathetic excuse for a wand, to be honest. Granted, I don't expect much for a buck, although I've gotten some great products for two or three bucks. I'd forgive the bad wand if the consistency of the mascara were usable. I added some contact lens solution to the tube, which I know isn't a long-term solution, and that made it serviceable. I tossed it before I left to go home, figuring I got my dollar's worth.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Don't let the fact that elf products being so inexpensive means that they're cheap. This mascara, along with the others I've got from elf, is very good! Great lengthening and separating and the brush is wonderful. Love it!

Popular Mascaras