Yves Saint Laurent Belle d'Opium

3.2

on 4/25/2012 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I like how perfume smells different on everyone, and I respect that everyone has their own opinion. I got a sample from a swap, and at first I was taken aback by it, just by sniffing the bottle.... it didn't smell good by itself, so I thought "Hey, it might be better on my skin." I was only half right. It smelt SO good after the first spritz and thirty minutes went by and it started smelling generic on my skin. I can't really describe the scent, it is in fact indescribable to me. However if the top notes stayed on my skin I would have bought this perfume in a heart beat.

on 2/25/2012 12:22:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Well, I remember loving the package on Opium, but not the juice. I sprayed this sample on and thought--where do I know that from? It's not That generic, but, but..... It's taken me several hours and a couple of sprays, but I finally got it! Flowerbomb! That's what it smells like. Not bad, just not better. Or worse. Just the same, to me.

on 1/16/2012 2:29:00 PM

I loved the warm spicy amber scent! A very pretty and soft Autumn/Winter scent. Sure it's no where near as complex or deep as the original Opium but this was meant to be the lighter and more casual cousin and I think the Belle d'Opium did a great job. It fades after 4-5 hours but I am quite happy with this perfume.

on 1/11/2012 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I am in Love with belle d'opium. I can't stand the original but I love this it smells sexy and my hubby loves it which is a plus.

on 12/25/2011 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Women who wear the original on a regular basis are usually over 55, and they prefer the stronger classic. This is what initially deterred me from even picking it up because it's the signature scent in that age group, and our sense of smell is connected to memory. You don't want to date a guy and his mom or grandma wear a certain classic, even though you appreciate it's scent. I'm 29 and I wear it only on certain days or evenings out because it was intended as a sensual perfume. Belle d' Opium was geared towards a different generation, from 25-35. Anyone younger might say it is strange to their nose, and older obviously crave the original or something more floral. Opium has been reformulated from what it was in 1977. Now you can't exactly say this is mass market. Even in Opium's heyday it didn't appeal to everyone and this is the same. It all depends on the perception of the wearer. To me this is right on target with fragrance trends. It's not too fruity or floral, and it's rounded off with a woodsy patchouli... You don't need a perfume to be incredibly in your face for it to leave an impression. Fruity patchouli's are starting to be more common, but honestly this is unlike most mass market fragrances. The packaging is wonderful, but for an EDT from YSL this is lacking something. Some substance perhaps, a backbone. It's a shame that since YSL passed away he cannot oversee fragrances and designs. You can tell where the line is drawn in YSL fragrances. Parisienne just makes me ill, but Paris is the better of the two. I have to do more testing, for now it's only a 3 rating.

on 9/4/2011 9:53:00 AM

Smells great, poor sillage, though.

on 8/31/2011 12:16:00 AM

Perfume is a very hard thing to review because it will smell different on everyone. Because everyone's natural body oils are different and when mixed with Belle D'Opium will smell unique. If you are interested in the perfume I would suggest going to the store and trying it on yourself and it may smell wonderful on you and horrible on someone else. I personally would not read perfume reviews because they are extremely personal and tailored to every person's individual smell.

I love this perfume but I agree with the other reviews that it isn't as good as the 1980's Opium that I remember. I have to say I adore the bottle. The bottle sold me (who can resist a pump that looks like red licorice)? This fragrance is a little on the floriental/fruity side and it really strong and a bit cloying on me..but it is growing on me in a good way. I would buy another bottle of this again.

on 8/9/2011 4:42:00 PM

If you like the original Opium, you will be very disappointed with this. All it shares with the original is the name; instead of a unique and beautiful spicy Oriental, it's a cheap fruity-floral mass-market fragrance. Shame on whoever decided to cash in on the name and reputation of Opium to lure unsuspecting consumers into buying this.

on 5/17/2011 6:06:00 PM

I used to adore the original Opium in the 80's. But I have gone through phases in what I liked in fragrance. I haven't worn Opium in years and tried it on a few days ago- and whew! Strong and overpowering!! Now don't get me wrong, I adore strong statement perfumes-but this was almost a totally chemical smell. So I thought the Belle form might be better-sadly it wasn't. Smells like toxic chemicals all mixed together. I wouldn't spend a dime on this one! also, my tastes have changed-I detest Opium-it's almost sour and waay too spicy. I can't see how it could be attractive to a man. I spritzed a tiny bit on and went into my husband's office and he wrinkled his nose and said"What in the hell is that smell??" Case closed!

Popular Fragrances