April 17, 2014 | 1748 users online

Fragrances - Yves Saint Laurent - Belle d'Opium

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2012 10:53:00 PM More reviews by mya2403

I am in Love with belle d'opium. I can't stand the original but I love this it smells sexy and my hubby loves it which is a plus.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2011 11:25:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Women who wear the original on a regular basis are usually over 55, and they prefer the stronger classic. This is what initially deterred me from even picking it up because it's the signature scent in that age group, and our sense of smell is connected to memory. You don't want to date a guy and his mom or grandma wear a certain classic, even though you appreciate it's scent. I'm 29 and I wear it only on certain days or evenings out because it was intended as a sensual perfume. Belle d' Opium was geared towards a different generation, from 25-35. Anyone younger might say it is strange to their nose, and older obviously crave the original or something more floral. Opium has been reformulated from what it was in 1977. Now you can't exactly say this is mass market. Even in Opium's heyday it didn't appeal to everyone and this is the same. It all depends on the perception of the wearer. To me this is right on target with fragrance trends. It's not too fruity or floral, and it's rounded off with a woodsy patchouli... You don't need a perfume to be incredibly in your face for it to leave an impression. Fruity patchouli's are starting to be more common, but honestly this is unlike most mass market fragrances. The packaging is wonderful, but for an EDT from YSL this is lacking something. Some substance perhaps, a backbone. It's a shame that since YSL passed away he cannot oversee fragrances and designs. You can tell where the line is drawn in YSL fragrances. Parisienne just makes me ill, but Paris is the better of the two. I have to do more testing, for now it's only a 3 rating.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2011 9:53:00 AM More reviews by 4Bella

Smells great, poor sillage, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2011 12:16:00 AM More reviews by BrigitteS

Perfume is a very hard thing to review because it will smell different on everyone. Because everyone's natural body oils are different and when mixed with Belle D'Opium will smell unique. If you are interested in the perfume I would suggest going to the store and trying it on yourself and it may smell wonderful on you and horrible on someone else. I personally would not read perfume reviews because they are extremely personal and tailored to every person's individual smell.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2011 5:44:00 PM More reviews by russetandvermilion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this perfume but I agree with the other reviews that it isn't as good as the 1980's Opium that I remember. I have to say I adore the bottle. The bottle sold me (who can resist a pump that looks like red licorice)? This fragrance is a little on the floriental/fruity side and it really strong and a bit cloying on me..but it is growing on me in a good way. I would buy another bottle of this again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by tabloid

If you like the original Opium, you will be very disappointed with this. All it shares with the original is the name; instead of a unique and beautiful spicy Oriental, it's a cheap fruity-floral mass-market fragrance. Shame on whoever decided to cash in on the name and reputation of Opium to lure unsuspecting consumers into buying this.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2011 6:06:00 PM More reviews by beth54

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used to adore the original Opium in the 80's. But I have gone through phases in what I liked in fragrance. I haven't worn Opium in years and tried it on a few days ago- and whew! Strong and overpowering!! Now don't get me wrong, I adore strong statement perfumes-but this was almost a totally chemical smell. So I thought the Belle form might be better-sadly it wasn't. Smells like toxic chemicals all mixed together. I wouldn't spend a dime on this one! also, my tastes have changed-I detest Opium-it's almost sour and waay too spicy. I can't see how it could be attractive to a man. I spritzed a tiny bit on and went into my husband's office and he wrinkled his nose and said"What in the hell is that smell??" Case closed!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2011 10:35:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

In these "sensitive" days, perfume is expected to be non-invasive, non-offensive, non-in-your-face, etc. In short, non-perfume. Also, there are women who seem to be absolutely TERRIFIED of looking, dressing, sounding, and even smelling older than 20. Hence, the worst, most damning criticism you can make of a scent is to say "Smells like a little old lady." Sends the Young-at-Any-Cost Crowd scrambling for cover, like cockroaches hiding from the light. And then there are the terminally sensitive ... let's not even go there.

In other words, gone are the days when perfume was the result of creativeness, imagination, daring, even love. When it brought to mind mystery, allure, romance, sensuality. The Forbidden Fruit. Oh, there's is plenty of fruit in scents these days. But rather than conjuring images of precious ingredients and of Mata Hari, they remind you of candies and Minute Maid.

Which brings me to Belle d'Opium. This is nothing but a fresh flanker of the majestic original. I cannot write the fantastic - almost hallucinatory - descriptions some people are able to compose when describing scents. All I'm going to say is that I was bitterly disappointed when I tried the sample I was given of Belle d'Opium. It's not bad, mind you. But neither are thousands of other mass-market scents. Like them, Belle d'Opium is nice, fresh. But it's generic. It lacks the character, the personality, the uniqueness of the original. This one is indistinguishable from so many other scents. And that is a shame. In spite of it's name, Belle d'Opium is Opium's plain, insignificant little sister.

Personally, I hate flankers. The manufacturers found a clever way to overcharge clients using a minimum of work and a total lack of imagination. Just dilute the original, add/remove a couple of ingredients, make some basic changes to the package, et voilą! A "new" fragrance. There ought to be a law against such rip-offs. Then again, there seems to be enough demand for them. I guess as long as they are marketed "for the young ..."

24 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2011 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Cokioki

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I took a trip to Kicks after I'd spent 25 relaxing minutes tanning. There I found this Belle d'Opium and fell in love straight away. I hate fruity, girly, icky-sweet scents like most celebrities seem to love when they launch their own personal perfume and this isn't at all like that. No surprise really, since it belongs to the 'Opium-family' YSL has created.

All in all a great perfume, the scent is exciting and really suits us younger girls since most of us find the the good old Opiums from the 80's to be way too heady.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2011 9:02:00 AM More reviews by dolcefan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I actually really like this; I've never cared for the original Opium, and this is like a breath of fresh air for me. Sultry but not overpowering. Mysterious and sexy but not cloying. The only drawback for me is it lacks the staying power I expect from top name perfumes. I would likely buy again, if not ask for it as a gift sometime.