July 29, 2014 | 1847 users online

Other - Braun Epilator

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2011 6:43:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

Oh gosh, this was the most ridiculous thing I've ever brought! I dont even know what I was thinking at the time of purchase! I dont like pain, I dont like inflicting pain on myself, therefore what was I thinking?
I brought the Braun Silk Epilator, about 2 years ago just before that christmas, cause it was on sale, I couldn't resist, but it was still $100AUD. Ouch! it was like little mechanical tweezers pulling out your hair, at least with a manual tweezer, I'll be more gentle.
All together, they hurt, their noisy, their hard to use, and they can lead to ingrown hair. I rather stick to my razor.
Even though I find it painful, a lot of other people I know, I dont know how they do it, but they cant live without their Epilator!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2010 10:26:00 PM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is great, but hard to maneuver. Don't buy this if you have a low pain tolerance. Put baby powder on your skin before using this.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2010 4:33:00 AM More reviews by ButterFlo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got a Braun Silk Epil last year and I can't see myself without it ever since. I've never shaved or something, I always got waxed at the salon since I was 13 and I loved the results. But going to the salon gets a bit expensive at times so the epilator was the perfect solution. It works just as well, it rips my hairs from the roots so that they take very long to grow out again and they become thinner and thinner with time. A great thing is that it will get even the tiniest hairs. I use it for my legs, my armpits and my abdomen. The only thing I still get waxed is my bikiny area but I might try using the epilator there as well, might edit and write down how it went if I do.
All in all, this is a great product, you pay a ridiculously low price and you can use it for a really long time, at the same time having the exact benefits of regular waxing.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2010 10:12:00 AM More reviews by floppy3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have never been professionally waxed due to embaressment and the cost, too expensive for my budget. I got a kit which includes a cordless model, a shaver, a trimmer head, a starter and normal epi head, one for the face and underarms. It all came in a nice enough silver zip up pouch.

Face: Ouch factor = really not that bad. Gives a clean upper lip and is easy to use with the little light stuck on the machine itself.

Underarms: ouch factor = up there with the bikini area. I counteract this with some talc to absorb oils even on clean skin and I press a bag of frozen peas on there for a good five minutes to numb before drying and using it. Pain factor reduced A LOT! Love not having to shave here for at least two weeks ...amazing

Legs: Ouch factor = like little fish nibling away at your skin, but you soon get over it. It is really tiring though having to go over your legs repeatedly which is waht I have to do. I wish there was a giant head for pros so I could just rip all the hair out in fifteen minutes.

The bigest plus is being able to remove hair in the privacy of your own home whenever you want. The pain is really not that big a deal and because YOU are in control of the pain, it makes it that bit easier to do. Mine was a bit pricey at around 85 euros but it is an investment and when you think about how much razor heads or waxing costs its a real bargain

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2010 1:39:00 PM More reviews by almond_leaves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

My Braun epilator was actually a limited offer..it's a bridal package and the model is Braun Silk Epil Xelle 5685 LE. It is very lightweight compared to their older models and the packaging is really cute-light green and white with little silvery glitters.

It comes with 4 different heads, 3 epilator heads with different number of tweezers in each and 1 shaver head. The package also included the Braun SilkFinish precision hair trimmer, a cold pack and a glove to place it in. The epilator has to be plugged, i.e. it isn't rechargeable nor can be used in the shower.

I use the precision trimmer whenever I'll be waxing and need to shorten the hairs a bit to minimize the pain. But that's about it for this trimmer, I wouldn't use it on my brows.

I've been waxing for a few years now so I don't use the cold pack. I resort to a pain killer whenever I'll be waxing the bikini area.

I love how the Braun epilator is a no fuss process. No stickiness and spreading and pulling and tugging that comes with waxing or sugaring.

I mainly use it on my legs cuz that's where my hairs are thickest. I'd never use it on my arms because my hair is super fine and the Braun epilator will only cut them off and make them thicker. Not what I want.

I tried it on my underarms and despite the fact that I've been waxing this area for over 7 years it felt so very painful I had to stop right away. I didn't try it since then and naturally I didn't try it in the bikini area.

So I ended up using only the one epilator head with the massagers and none of the rest of the package. Lots of money was wasted there.

When epilating my legs I have to go over the same area 2 to 3 times. It does an excellent job picking out hairs and I end up with nice smooth skin. And it does pick out the tiniest hairs, as it claims.

It has the Smart Light feature which really allows you to see the hairs very well. You won't miss a single hair with it.

To get the best of both world's, every month or so I'd exfoliate well, wax my entire body then go over it again with the Braun epilator. This way all the dead skin is removed while waxing, and all the tiny hairs wax misses is picked out with the epilator.

I imagine the Braun epilator will perform perfectly on all body areas if only you could bear with the pain in your first few uses there. I'm just not into applying cold packs and baby powder and all that...but maybe I'll give it a shot again when I'm in the mood for tolerating some extra pain.

If I ever go for buying this again, I'd go ahead and try the new one that you can use in the shower and I wouldn't bother getting one that contains more than two epilator heads.

UPDATE: I tried it on my underarms, works fine. But all in all I stopped using it, I resort solely to sugaring. You'll do yourself a favor by staying away from any epilator and using them only in emergencies. Sugaring and waxing are so much better if, of course, done properly. Epilating makes hairs grow thicker, coarser and much faster. Sugarind does the opposite and the follicles will eventually die and no hair will grow back.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2009 12:11:00 AM More reviews by kimorris

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have the 7781 Silk-Epil Xpressive model that comes in silver/white. This is advertised as being able to remove hairs as short as 2mm, but I don't find it does this - not consistently anyway. I've tried this on various length hairs on my legs and sometimes it'll remove them from the root, most other times, it will cut the hair off. This means that I have to use this more often than I'd like to get rid of the cut-off hairs that have grown back faster. I also have to run this at least 3-4 times over my legs as it definitely doesn't remove most of them first time around. On my legs, I'd only give this 3 lippies.

On my underarms, it removes almost all hairs by the root. I always used to have a lot of problems getting the right angle for waxing my underarms and this makes it much easier. This is also good on my bikini line as the safety cap means I don't accidentally nip any sensitive areas. I'd probably give this 4 lippies for my underarms and bikini area.

I like that this is cordless. For the price, I'd expected to receive a pouch with this that was similar to the nice Emjoi ones, but it's just a cheap piece of material with a drawstring at the top. The dial on the machine is also very sensitive so it often turns itself on if it rubs up against something at the wrong angle. Don't use this straight after showering - my skin was so soft that the epilator ending up taking bits of skin off. The first time I used this was also quite painful, but I was OK by the second use, and I'm pretty much de-sensitised now. This is also very easy to clean.

Overall, the convenience of using this outweighs the cons. I suppose that for the price, I was expecting to be more impressed and I was a little disappointed. This has converted me to epilators though and I'm keen to try more once this one breaks.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 5:03:00 AM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

Won't bother with a too detailed review since there are many already listed.
Overall though I am bummed by the epilator process and wish I would have saved my box and stuff for a return. Sadly I discovered it wasn't gonna work for me a little too late.
The first time I used it definitely sucked, the pain factor was there but it wasn't the worst thing, it was tolerable.
First time I used it I wasn't silky smooth but my legs looked smooth.
Well I dunno if my hair was in some kind of weird growth cycle or what but I had stubble in a couple days after using it. Used it again... couple days later... again. WTF was going on here, it was like shaving. I thought I was gonna get at least a week or so of smoothness out of this. Nope.
I also discovered the epilator just could not pluck out really short or fine hairs, thus... never truly smooth. I also found that it broke off a lot of hairs and then couldn't get the rest out b/c of the issue I just mentioned.
I gave up. I was never silky smooth and I had to use it as much a razor. The first time I shaved after trying to commit to the epilator it was like heaven... silky smooth legs again. Plus shaving only takes like 5 minutes, while epilating was taking me up to 20 minutes or longer. If it is not gonna keep super duper smooth, take longer than shaving, and I had to do it as much as shaving I didn't see the point. Not to mention I got ingrowns like a mofo with this thing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2009 9:15:00 AM More reviews by firework_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using my Wet & Dry epilator for a while now & am over the moon with it.
Previously, I'd shaved and sometimes waxed. Neither was very successful for me. Shaving my legs left me with painful shaving rash & sometimes my armpits felt like I'd scraped skin off along with hair. Waxing was even worse. I could deal with the pain of pulling off the waxing strips but the stinging, burning rash it left me with was not something I could deal with at all. Waxing my upper lip left hairs behind and a burning sensation & on one occasion, left me with a raw (eventually scabbed over, not pleasant) mess.
Epilating seemed like the only way to go for me & I'm so pleased that it worked. There's been minimal pain involved, even when doing my armpits. It's more of a tingle than out & out agony. The hair grows back much finer and slower. I can get away with just doing my armpits twice a week, legs once.
Facial hair can be a bit more painful but I'd rather deal with ten minutes of pain than my face being a scabby, burning, sore mess as a result of waxing. It's easier to do facial hair wet. I exfoliate first, redampen the skin & apply a tiny amount of shower gel to make sure the epilator rolls smoothly. Any initial redness dies down after 30 minutes max & it leaves me smooth.
It's saved me a small fortune on new razor blades & repeated wasted experiments with waxing strips.
If my epilator died on me, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. It's made things much easier & less painful for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2009 11:04:00 AM More reviews by jprecht

I came looking for reviews on waxing products, but one comment stood out over and over - even those who gave the wax a high rating said it wasn't as good as an epilator. I read the reviews and went out and got one. I used it for the 1st time last night and I am pleased with the results.

My skin is a little red/irritated today, but certainly no worse than if I had waxed. Plus no sticky bits of wax to discover later. It was painful, but again, no worse than waxing. If you can stand waxing, you can use this.

Speaking of pain - I was discussing the ways reviews had said to deal with it and he asked me why didn't I use Lidocaine? You know that stuff in a spray can you put on scrapes and burns? It's also in Neosporin - it's a topical pain reliever. I told him he was a genius.

For my bikini area I sprayed on the Lidocaine, rubbed it in, then used the cold pack for extra measure. Then I used a towel to rub off any condensation or extra spray and also to make the hairs stick up more. I think it helped a lot - in fact, I took off the beginner head and put on the regular head because it didn't hurt and was taking too long.

I am very pleased with the results, the lack of messy clean up, and the ease of use. I don't see myself going back to razors or wax.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2009 5:27:00 PM More reviews by bebe7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I looove love love this. The Epilator is my choice of hair removal. Especially during summer, when it is just too annoying to keep shaving legs/underarms every other day. And I hated seeing my hair grow out so thick and dark. I use this on my legs and underarms. Yes, it did hurt a lot the first couple times. I had to pause in the middle and just take a couple deep breaths, but it is totally worth it. I epilate my legs only about once every two weeks (sometimes 3) and I epilate my underarms about once a week. The hair grows back slower and much much finer. In fact, between each time I epilate, I would just have a few strands of hair that grows back on my leg, that I can easily pluck out with a tweezer. Even if I get lazy, and don't epilate for a couple weeks, the hair is so fine and light that no one can see it unless they are up close to my legs. And if it were to grow out a little, it's not stubbly, (as you get from shaving). I have definitely converted a couple of my friends to epilating instead of shaving. And I like this better than waxing because it's so easy! you just plug it in, and slowly glide it along your legs, no messy, sticky wax!