September 1, 2014 | 1575 users online

Lipstick - Chanel - Rouge Coco No. 21 - Rivoli

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2011 11:27:00 AM More reviews by May_Bee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Am I becoming colour-blind? I don't see this lipstick as red at all - to me it's a very strong pink on the fuschia/blue end of the spectrum. I would never wear red lipstick due to my extremely pale skin, but sometimes I get tired of tasteful neutral lips, and this highly pigmented lipstick makes a bit of a statement without screaming. I don't find it sticks to my teeth but, as other reviewers have noted, it wears off the centre of your lips leaving a "ring", so you need to check it after you're been eating etc. It is highly pigmented, which might come as a shock to those who are used to sheer shades that tone down as you apply them.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by smurf2004

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm in a red lipstick phase at the moment and bought this one as it didn't look too pink in the store. Classic Chanel packaging, sturdy and closes with a satisfying click. Firstly tried it as a stain - initially found the colour quite bright and had to resist reaching for my HG Black Honey to tone it down. It definitely has a fuschia cast on my lips in office fluro lighting which was not what I was after - it shows as a soft red brick colour in sunlight which is flattering. Have noticed guys looking at my lips more with this colour (not in a bad way). It does brighten my face but it doesn't makes my teeth look any whiter (tried on Maybelline Red Revival and although that almost looked clownish on me when applied full strength it did make my teeth look very white. Would make a fantastic stain). As I've been applying it fairly lightly, it's been high maintenance as it comes off very easily and wears unevenly, leaving a bit of a ring so I have to keep checking on it and reapplying. Being used to other lippies which wear evenly to a nice bitten look it is annoying. It has a very subtle rose fragrance which reminds me of a Hydrabase lipstick I used to wear. All in all, a nice colour which has grown on me but not HG. EDIT: I've started building up the colour on this one (the 2 lippies are for the lovely colour and generous pigment), wouldn't repurchase as it is very drying, even after prepping with lip balm. By the end of the day it makes my lips flake and the lines in my lips stand out (I don't have old lips either so quite bizarre!!!). I've never had that with any other lipstick, not even matte ones (like Colorstay in the '90s, which was a moisture bath in comparison to this)! Recently got my 1st NARS lipstick (Rouge d'enfer) - still undecided re the colour but the formula is amazing - good staying power, wears beautifully evenly. My lips were still full, soft and pouty by the end of the day, even with a light stain application - addicted!!!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by kamaile

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a big believer in red lipstick. The caveat is that it has to be wearable. Coco Rouge in Rivoli fits the bill. It wears beautifully and the color is really a gorgeous burgundy red that is not too blue or too orange. If you have a darker skin tone, this stuff rocks.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by golightly

I bought this after poring over the lovely Peter Philips Chanel runway show makeup, where this lipstick was shown with a very bare, gold tinted eyelids, and super clean skin. Rivoli is a pretty but not particularly special cream plum-red that brightens rather than dragging my warm skin down (Chantecaille Camomile, Armani LSF 5). It's a bit of a daytime vamp color for me, since there appears to be a fair amount of black in the shade. A sophisticated, put-together look. The formulation makes my lips appear especially luscious and smooth, very plump and model-y. Nonetheless, I tend to agree with this review of Rouge Coco:
In general, somewhat of a disappointment. Hard to control as it goes on with a lot of slip, highlights dryness (oddly enough, as it is indeed very moisturizing), transfers to teeth like nothing else, staying power is not very good, and wears away unevenly. It takes about two coats to get very good, true to the tube color payoff. Definitely not as wonderful in wear and original in texture as the rouge lacques. If I hadn't purchased this in duty free I would be more irritated; as it is, a fun and pretty luxury product that comes with its own set of aggravations.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2010 10:44:00 AM More reviews by PositivelyRadiant

A good red lipstick is hard to find. That's why I always recommend trying on the lipstick BEFORE buying. Do NOT use color swatches on the web to aid in your lipstick search - they will never be accurate. I LOVE this red because it's not too dramatic and yet it's the perfect punch of color to liven up your face. Normally I love the dramatic eye look with nude lips (very Kim Kardashian) but lately I've been obsessing over lipsticks and trying to find a good holiday red that walks that fine line between casual and glamorous. I can get away with wearing this lipstick during the day but it certainly can hold its own at holiday parties. The best part is that I never feel like my lipstick is wearing me. The lady at the Chanel counter paired this lipstick with Chanel's Ombre Essentielle eyeshadow in Sillage and she threw on Chanel's Powder Blush in Rose Petale. The effect was elegant and yet the whole look only took 5 minutes to throw together. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2010 8:04:00 PM More reviews by SNIFFMEALLOVER

This colour is completely outside my comfort zone but after being very impressed with Coco Rouge Mademoiselle I wanted to try something bolder. It looks very nice on, and while it is a very strong colour, it isn't too loud and doesn't take over. For daytime I would wear it with only foundation, a hint of blush and black mascara. A nice fresh clean look which suits me because I like to put something on but never have the time to sit in front of the mirroir. I don't know how often I will end up putting it on but I am glad to have it in my collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2010 11:51:00 AM More reviews by AnnStanhope

Woooow I love this colour. I was looking for a classic pretty red, that wasn't this trashy bright red. So after looking for about a month :P, I found Rivoli. The kind lady applied it on my lips in the shop. And when she was finished there were about 10 people standing around me in the shop looking at me. Customers (men and women) were saying, oh my that looks beautiful on you. You have such pretty lips. I am not kidding. A bit shocked, I left the shop :P(thinking about if I schould buy it, since it is a big investment). Then suddenly a man on the street comes to me and says: you have the most beautiful red coloured lips I have ever seen.
Then I knew, this is it. I'm gonna get it. So I bought it. It fits perfectly with my dark brown hair and eyes. It gives a bit of an Anne Hathaway effect.
The colour doesn't look as if you are a vampire. At least not on me :P.
The texture is wonderful, and even when it faded it still looks pretty. I am very happy that I got it and it's worth all the money.
I always get compliments from people, which makes me confident enough to wear the red lipstick every day.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2010 12:45:00 AM More reviews by Leighton09

I fell inlove with this colour after seeing the Vincent Lappartient photo shoot (one of his models above) and just HAD to have this colour for winter/fall.
This is my HG red colour so far! Like the last reviewer said, its a true, natural red. It's not too dark or vampy on my NC25/30 skin tone and its not a BRIGHT apple/cherry red. This colour is so versatile, you can wear it without anything other makeup, or you can add a bit of eyeshadow and eyeliner/mascara for a more polished night out. When I wear it, it makes my lips look LUSCIOUS, like these full, red lips. I feel as though its beautiful and sexy without having to try too hard! When I run out I will definately repurchase.
The texture of the rouge coco line is absolutely amazing! You do not need a lip balm, it moisturizes your lips wonderfully. I have mademoiselle in this line as well and its equally moisturizing and the colour payoff is great!
The only bad thing is that it's a bit pricey,but you really get a great product for your money. Beautiful colours, great texture, great packaging and its Chanel!
Chanel <3

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by nophie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Rivoli is my new HG red for daytime wear.
When I was at the Chanel counter I was planning to buy Lune Rousse, but ended buying Rivoli and some other colors instead.
The SA told me that its a blue base red color. I find it hard to find a good red, because somehow most reds always make me feel too made up or "cheap". So for daytime I usually go for neutrals and real dark vampy red (like Rouge noir) for more drama in the night.
Rivoli is the perfect in between color for me. On my complexion (medium warm asian) this color turn out a beautiful deep berry red. What I love about the color, it is a true red, but not too dark heavy red, nor a bright screaming red.
It will fade and rub off, its not a long lasting lipcolor. But I actually like the fading color. It leaves a red stain on your lips that also very pretty, it looks like I have a very natural red lips, Or just had a hot kissing session. Very sexy =P
Because of the texture, very smooth and definitely not matte or glossy also, it wears very comfortable. This texture is one of the big reason I love the Rouge Coco line. With this red color it is of course obvious that u have a color on your lips, but its looks and feel very "real". No obvious lipsticky taste or sticky lipgloss feeling. It is also not drying, your lips feel soft. But I always use lipbalm under every lip product I use, I don't think any lipstick will looks good on dry chapped lips. So for me application is easy, you don't have to be really precise. It never bleed out on me, I even smudge it out a bit with my finger, for a more "šasual" feel.
The packaging is another thing I adore. It is metal (not plastic like the Hydrabase line) Feels sturdy and solid. Very nice quality packaging I must say. And it looks just as great, simple but yet very chic.
The price, well its Chanel price. Honestly you can buy 3 drugstore lipsticks for the same price. And there is lots of of good drugstore brands out there, so it will probably looks and feel almost the same like a Chanel one. But you know what, I think its worth it. Us girls spend tons of money on clothing and stuffs. Do you rather have a dozens of lipcolors in your handbag that you like, or just that one that you really love. I think every girl need a perfect red lipstick, so why not make it a Chanel one? =)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2010 12:02:00 PM More reviews by yum_yum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Very sophisticated dark-burgundy colour on me -- approximations of this colour are available in almost every lipstick line, so this isn't incredibly original.
As all my reviews for this line indicate -- the Rouge Coco formulation is moisturising but unfortunately not as pigmented or deep as Hydrabase. I bought this with some leftover birthday giftcards (ha!) so no huge loss.
The colour is very much like the burgundies Hydrabase used to make (they made the best wines, burgundies, cool maroons etc.) but, and this goes for most colours in the Rouge Coco line and also many of the Rouge Allures, the RC shade of wine is more likely to work with cool and warm tones.
I'm warm neutral (MAC face & body C4) and this is a very nice, deep colour that doesn't pull too purple. Nicely done.
Lasting power of the entire line varies from colour to colour -- this is a less dense, less long-lasting colour. It faded and left a bit of a ring around my lips. But absolutely no dryness and I have a feeling it'll apply better with primer. Will not repurchase. Will look fab with perfect matte skin and mascara.