Jessica Simpson - Fancy Nights

3.7

on 10/30/2013 3:18:00 PM

I generally like Patchouli incense-y based scents and so bought some of this without trying it first, based on reviews. Sorry, but YUCK. It reminds me of Emeraude from the 70's - which when I went to read reviews on that to see if people were comparing the two, read that many think of Emeraude as a poor womans' version of Shalimar. Now, I LIKE Shalimar, alot. Maybe cause it reminds me of my Mom getting dressed for a big night out, but I'm not feeling any kind of love for Fancy Nights, nor did I ever enjoy the scent of Emeraude. Nasty stuff. Okay packaging/bottle. Not too pricey but still is not worth it. Trying to figure out if I can return it.

on 7/10/2013 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is an ultra warm patchouli, amber vanilla scent. I am surprised there is no honey listed. It smells like four fragrances on me mostly Avons Imari Mystique, two discontinued Revlon fragrances Fire and Ice Smoulder, and Unforgettable too (both unlisted here) and a touch like my favourite Estee Lauder Sensuous noir probably due to the pine/amber/patchouli like notes. You will be guaranteed to hate the opening when first spritzed some sort of medicinal incensey mashup but let it sit for 5-10 minutes before judging, it takes some time for the notes to meld together into a heavenly oriental concoction. I would recommend applying 45mins to an hour before leaving the house as you need to let it settle and not blow everyone away with the initial blast this has. On dry down it smells like my marvellous morrocan oil hair treatment which is divine. If you enjoy warm spicy smoky orientals you can't go wrong with this one.

Terriable scent. Couldnt believe what i was smelling after I bought this. It smells like an overweight Bulgarian man who owns a inscence shop on Sunset Blvd. Will never buy this again, smells like mens after shave

on 4/18/2013 2:50:00 PM

Wow.... I'm in love with this. I am a patchouli purist and have been wanting something to wear when I don't use straight patchouli oil and this reminds me of my favorite patchouli-vanilla incense. I'm not excited about telling people what it is when they ask, but I love it that much that I'm just going for it! I purchased mine on ebay for $8 and now will be on the hunt for the lotion & shower gel. Really, really pleasantly surprised & have a new favorite!

on 3/9/2013 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Really a 3.5 for me, which I rounded down. I found a small little sampler of this at Burlington, and was determined to try it. I don't see myself wearing it often, it's heavier than what I thought. Drydown is nice, surprisingly doesn't last very long on my skin. I don't get much vanilla, heavy patch and bergamont stand out. Nice for a "mature", cultivated scent. It brings to mind a scent someone with a fur coat, beautiful salon-quality hair, red lips, and a slight European accent would be wearing. Very much an Oriental. Not really for me, but nice to have around in my collection for variety.

This does NOT smell soapy like Emeraulde- not at all alike! This smells like patchouli and vanilla and it's beautiful! lol this sounds so funny coming out of my b/c I generally hate hippies and patchouli but this doesn't smell like that at all, this smells classy and feminine (not cheap and tacky like Britney Spears' Believe patchouli scent). I love Fancy Nights and one spray lasts all day.

on 1/5/2013 5:05:00 PM

I love this. It's not syrupy sweet and dries down to something resembling Youth Dew, but much less overwhelming. Very nice scent of its kind and longlasting.

on 12/19/2012 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

patchouli-vanilla! I used to really hate hippies and patchouli (I still hate Britney's "believe") but this perfume makes it so feminine and beautiful, I was taken by surprise, I love it!

The reason I gave this such a high rating is because of kuddos to jessica simpson for stepping outside the boundries and trying something very different from the other celebrities. She has a knack for appealing to alot of different people and I think with this one you have to be a specific fragrance lover and it's not going to be everybody's cup of tea. It is a very bold, smokey vanilla scent. If you love patchulli you will more than likely like this rare gem. It starts off really loud and bold but after that 15 mins you get a nice soft patchulli vanilla combo, I was quick to judge this but after I let it settle It changed my mind, I'm 25 and like her sweeter fragrances but I do respect her for this one and giving it a try!

on 10/1/2012 2:59:00 AM

As far as "celebuscents" go, this was one of the first that truly impressed me because it smelt daringly imbalanced and flagrantly anti-mass market; almost like something a niche house might put out. If you love high-cal cupcake vanilla scents along the veins of Britney’s, you might be disappointed.

Fancy Nights manages to combine a complex "earth-and-leaves" smokiness with a soft powdery sweetness which flies in the face of all the typical celeb scents out there. But the dirt-and-grass aroma of patchouli definitely dominates this fragrance, so you have to at least be able to tolerate the note. I personally find the patchouli a touch TOO strong and I have to really be in the mood for it; hence the 3-rating.

As ambery patchouli-scents go, I'd actually hazard to place it closer to Chanel's Coromandel, which shares that same sappy patchouli, although I prefer Coromandel since the patchouli is better balanced with a creamy accord.

Popular Fragrances