L'Artisan Fragrances Nuit de Tubereuse

3.6

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

L'Artisan Nuit de Tubereuse is my absolute favorite perfume, replacing Diptyque Tam Dao as my #1 fragrance. NdT is so beautiful... The tuberose IS there, but it isn't loud and in your face like Fracas. And, it isn't meant to be. As the translation means "Night of Tuberose," the notes are more hushed and more intimate. The predominant notes that stand out to me are tuberose, pink pepper, orange blossom, sandalwood, and perhaps a hint of cedar? When I wear this fragrance, I visualize a beautiful, demure lady walking with her lover on an enchanting, cool and foggy night in a garden, as the crickets sing their lullaby...

The fragrance is really beautifully crafted and I enjoy the earthy quality about it.
It reminds me of the smell of Tahiti by night. I remember years back arriving in Papetee, Tahiti in the afternoon. We went to sleep exhausted after the long flight and woke up in the middle of the night. We went outside and the city was alive. People everywhere. Warm, humid air. The smell of tropical flowers, tiare, frangipani etc. And the smell of moist soil, the earth resting after another extremely hot day.
I don't think I could wear this perfume, as all florals on me make me think of air freshner. I am just not a floral type of gal. I prefer stuff like Dzing! or Timbuktu. But I like the concept of Nuit de Tubereuse.
I have only seen the bottle in pictures on the net, but it looks stunning.

Notes: tuberose, cardamom, clove, pink pepper, pepper, citrus, tuberose, orange blossom, ylang-ylang, rose, mango, angelica, gorse, sandalwood, palisander, musks, benzoin and styrax.

This fragrance opens with an interesting blend of sweet floral and hot spice notes. If the resulting olfactory experience were a fabric it would be black velvet delicately embroidered with an exotic flower motif. As the accord develops orange blossom and tuberose dominate the composition, whereas the resins and balms interwoven with the spices glitter like jet pearls on black moiré fabric. The use of sensual spices like cardamom and clove make this scent more suitable for cooler evenings and night-time events. Its sparkly, almost champagne-like quality confirms my idea of this being a night-time fragrance. To me Nuit de Tubereuse is more “couture” than Serge Noir. Lasts six hours on my skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Has to be the sexiest thing of 2010...in fact of anything, its a sort of tuberose-banana- sandalwood, a bit undergrowthy...definitely lost on a desert isle with only an testosterone at-your-service male, who can sail away a stonking big yacht, not that you would want to go anywhere...absolutely gorgeous...must be in the immortal hall of perfume fame.
I'm adding to my first impulse review...its actually also a scent that takes me into a really flashy seaside resort, we have settled on the marine voyage and are rocking up to, say, Monte Carlo!
I can't explain, I get a real marine vibe from this wonderful frag; I would have to, if forced, vote it my #1 of 2010.

I've never worn or even thought of wearing a tuberose based perfume because I've never seen myself as a floral person and they tend to be the kind of perfumes which bother me eventually. There is something a little remarkable about this one.

According to my best open minded opinion, Nuit De Tubereuse opens with an initial blast of floriental tuberose (as one would expect), but almost instantaneously I caught something round and denser like tonka bean. There was a note perhaps more powerful than anything else that I couldn't put my finger on till about mid day when I was so certain there was a gourmand element hidden...well not so much hidden....lemongrass! Maybe not what L'Artisan had in mind, but it's sure very present to me. It's really what makes the scent for me too. I sat in my Art History lecture staring at Fragonard's "The Secret Meeting". Two procelaine like figures, lovers, convening as the day grew thin in a dreamlike landscape of swollen pale pink blossoms. It seemed like maybe a conincidence, but I feel like that painting was embodying a little bit of Nuit de Tubereuse and even more a coincidence that we immediatly went on to talk about Chinoiserie.

Here I think is the best way I can describe Nuit de Tubereuse. One who is familiar with Chinoiserie will know that it usually specifically pertains to oriental artwork and porcelaine craft adopted by Western society (particularly France). The two realms combine to create something inherently exotic but also elevated by ornate Rococo flourishes and European elegance. I've always been fascinated by Orientalism because of my roots as a half asian half european mix. The concept seemed like the embodiment of my own personal culture.

Nuit de Tubereuse takes the raw, elemental, exotic energies of tuberose and lemongrass, and adds a significant touch of tonka bean, an animalic musk, clove, cardamom, with a strong backdrop of tobacco to elevate two realms of scent that are, to me, both equally present in the perfume. It's curious, seductive, and very likeable at the same time. Soemthing primal, something sophisticated. In addition, I think this is one of those scents which plays upon the psyche a little. I began to notice the animalic musk around the same moments when I was drifiting into my reverie about two lovers in a secret meeting...perhaps it was really only then that the scent saw its full potential. I think some of the best perfumes do this to us, and I'm hoping I'm not the only one.

Most descriptions of the perfume boast of orange blossom and black and pink peppers but I could smell none to speak of today. Perhaps another day?

(See all my reviews at: swigandtipple.blogspot.com)

An inward but intriguing fragrance that has a small but sunny smile on its serious face. Nuit de Tubereuse mesmerizes me for a good couple of hours when I use it, but strangely I don't miss it much on other days. Its tuberose has a very very sheer tone, like some essence thinned and polished until it reached a beautiful level of transparency and a darkish glow. This makes me think of a tuberose plant rather than a big fat coconutty flower. On my skin, Nuit de Tubereuse bows to aesthetics of an organic nature with its vegetal, slightly mushroomy - but never musty- and miraculously clear character. On top of it, it is decorated with a sunny lemon and mango. These show their fruitiness especially right after the shower, when my body heat is higher. Multiple spritzes give me a brighter lemon and an industrial pine note but even that does not suffocate the semi-darkness of the floral body. I love this fruity, candy air about it and enjoy small whiffs of it until the drydown when the fragrance becomes considerably darker, drier and even slightly bitter. There is something in it that makes me think of two other Duchaufour fragrances: Dzongkha, which does similar things in a different order on my skin and is considerably more demure with the incense, and Penghalion's Verveine which possesses a similar candy note in the midst of aromatic greenness. Altogether this is the second Tubereuse I have fallen for in my life, but I don't love it enough to call it a staple in my collection.

EDIT: the more I wear it the more it sparkles, maybe because it's the winter and I'm in warm clothes all the time. love

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I just don't see wht this fragrance has so many poor reviews. I for one love it. I think it's fantastic. I ordered a bottle at first sniff of my sample. I agree that it's not a full on Tubereuse scent. It's no Fracas, La Chasse or Nassomatto's Narcotic Venus. But I think L'Artisan wanted to creature a different take on Tubereuse. And I do smell Tubereuse, it's just not full on like the others. It's there, it's just quiet and lets all the other's shine.

No tuberose detected. This smelled of dirt and aftershave, and unfortunately lasted until the next day on my arm. To me this was an insult to the gorgeous tuberose, coming off as a musty, masculine scent. Scrubber!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My hopes for this were high and they were not even sort of met! Gorgeous packaging though!
There is barely a hint of tuberose in this and there is lots of outdoorsy mushroomy damp forest, foliage, and dirt. I almost preordered this and am $175 thankful I didn't! My dh despises this to the point of calling it the worst perfume he's ever smelled. A disappointment for me BUT perfect for other people and I look forward to smelling this on someone who loves it! The beauty in diversity is there's something for everyone... and isn't that wonderful!!!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

It starts off smelling like a true flowering plant, and then goes into the flower itself....slightly oily, slightly narcotic. And the persistence is great too...12 hrs later I can still smell it on my skin. L'Artisan, you amaze me. I really did not think I would like this.

Popular Fragrances