April 17, 2014 | 1981 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Nuit de Tubereuse

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by zeynepd

An inward but intriguing fragrance that has a small but sunny smile on its serious face. Nuit de Tubereuse mesmerizes me for a good couple of hours when I use it, but strangely I don't miss it much on other days. Its tuberose has a very very sheer tone, like some essence thinned and polished until it reached a beautiful level of transparency and a darkish glow. This makes me think of a tuberose plant rather than a big fat coconutty flower. On my skin, Nuit de Tubereuse bows to aesthetics of an organic nature with its vegetal, slightly mushroomy - but never musty- and miraculously clear character. On top of it, it is decorated with a sunny lemon and mango. These show their fruitiness especially right after the shower, when my body heat is higher. Multiple spritzes give me a brighter lemon and an industrial pine note but even that does not suffocate the semi-darkness of the floral body. I love this fruity, candy air about it and enjoy small whiffs of it until the drydown when the fragrance becomes considerably darker, drier and even slightly bitter. There is something in it that makes me think of two other Duchaufour fragrances: Dzongkha, which does similar things in a different order on my skin and is considerably more demure with the incense, and Penghalion's Verveine which possesses a similar candy note in the midst of aromatic greenness. Altogether this is the second Tubereuse I have fallen for in my life, but I don't love it enough to call it a staple in my collection.

EDIT: the more I wear it the more it sparkles, maybe because it's the winter and I'm in warm clothes all the time. love

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2010 9:53:00 AM More reviews by PeeShee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just don't see wht this fragrance has so many poor reviews. I for one love it. I think it's fantastic. I ordered a bottle at first sniff of my sample. I agree that it's not a full on Tubereuse scent. It's no Fracas, La Chasse or Nassomatto's Narcotic Venus. But I think L'Artisan wanted to creature a different take on Tubereuse. And I do smell Tubereuse, it's just not full on like the others. It's there, it's just quiet and lets all the other's shine.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2010 2:40:00 PM More reviews by ylang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

No tuberose detected. This smelled of dirt and aftershave, and unfortunately lasted until the next day on my arm. To me this was an insult to the gorgeous tuberose, coming off as a musty, masculine scent. Scrubber!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2010 6:10:00 PM More reviews by myolderbrother

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My hopes for this were high and they were not even sort of met! Gorgeous packaging though!
There is barely a hint of tuberose in this and there is lots of outdoorsy mushroomy damp forest, foliage, and dirt. I almost preordered this and am $175 thankful I didn't! My dh despises this to the point of calling it the worst perfume he's ever smelled. A disappointment for me BUT perfect for other people and I look forward to smelling this on someone who loves it! The beauty in diversity is there's something for everyone... and isn't that wonderful!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2010 11:46:00 AM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It starts off smelling like a true flowering plant, and then goes into the flower itself....slightly oily, slightly narcotic. And the persistence is great too...12 hrs later I can still smell it on my skin. L'Artisan, you amaze me. I really did not think I would like this.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2010 8:21:00 PM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Nuit de Tubereuse is a revelation. Even dh grabbed it, swooning, and spritzed himself, exclaiming with glee "it smells like candy!" - which is does, in a way, in the opening - if you've ever been in a candy factory (which I have) when the air is hot, and the candy is pouring and there's this sort of sultry sweetness in the air - I don't find it to be like juicy fruit, but like delicious tropical mango candy. I like dried sweetened mango, and this is the impression I got of that same smell - or more, the smell matched my sensory memory of the taste, if that makes sense - it hit the same pleasure receptors in my brain. This quickly burns off and opens to this beautiful floral that seems to levitate off the skin and reminds me, in passing, of that tender floral mix of La Chasse. There is the spicy bite of the pink pepper and the green rootiness - and it is all so breathtaking that I truly think that my mouth fell open. There came a brief few minutes when I felt certain something at the bottom reminded me of that same peppery, cozy base of Barbara Bui - not the whole scent, but just those bottom comfort notes. It keeps evolving and changing and if I could write a love letter to Bertrand Duchafour I would. I'm completely smitten - First Al Oudh, which I have obsessively been putting on before bed because it is like the very smell of ease and rest and sleepy, warmed skin - and now this miraculous little gem. I am already plotting a plan to save for a backup, so in love am I. Well, right after I get Al Oudh.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2010 1:11:00 PM More reviews by sfsassy1974

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was not sure what to expect. But this new release from L'artisan is simply amazing.

Sheer (not too heavy at all) fruity floral. sophisticated and beautiful.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2010 8:11:00 AM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nuit de Tubereuse is a very well composed, SHEER tuberose. If you are looking for something along the lines of traditional tuberose scents like Fracas, be warned this is very different, Die-hard tuberose fans will still like this, I would imagine, but it is a much less dense and more--what shall I call this--"musky?"--version as opposed to a true rendition. The first thing I thought when I sprayed it was "Love's Musky Jasmine Flower", from back in the 70's. It's got that kind of feel to it. However, this is very much a quality fragrance with a true tuberose note dominating. Some may find its sheerness "watered down". I think it is very tastefully done and perfect for those like myself who admire tuberose from afar but find it too overpowering to wear. Beautiful!

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2010 12:23:00 AM More reviews by sharviss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love it! A fruity floral for adults.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2010 7:23:00 AM More reviews by Funkly

I simply can't get enough of this! Such an unusual rendition of tuberose: peppery, green, woody, sultry and transparent at the same time. It portrays a tuberose plant that is alive, in a lush vegetable kingdom, it shines and sparkles on the skin and has a wonderful sillage that won't kill your neighbours but is playful and not timid.

The opening is packed with spicy bite and laced with citrus and a wonderful mango note. As it develops, it is stripped of some of its initial punchy notes and becomes closer to the skin. There is a perceived hint of woody incense and the whole composition sits on a lovely base. The danger element of the tuberose is however present all the time, as if it could turn into a carnivore plant any moment and sink its teeth into the unsuspecting victim. A fantastic perfume.

Composed by Betrand Duchafour, it bears very much his signature and to me is one of his best pieces of work.
I think it should appeal to both tuberose lovers for its original and stunningly beautiful take-on, but also to those who find other tuberose centered scents too overpowering or cloying. Also I imagine it would smell wonderful on the right man.

The notes I found online are: Tuberose / Cardamom / Pepper / Clove / Citrus / Tuberose / Orange Blossom / Ylang-ylang / Rose / Mango / Angelica / Gorse / Sandalwood / Palisander / Musks / Benzoin / Styrax

10 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No