September 18, 2014 | 1906 users online

Eye Primer - NARS - Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2014 3:00:00 PM More reviews by pink_jasmine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the best eye shadow primer. My eye shadow can last ALL DAY with absolutely no smudging or creasing even in hot, humid conditions! I love that it's clear and doesn't change the color of your eyeshadow at all. It goes on smoothly and dries quickly. It is also very gentle and non-irritating to your eyes or the skin around your eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by samanthamk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Although this is pricey, I would definitely re-purchase. I've tried all kinds of eye primers and this is the only one that delivers for me. My skin is extremely oily and shadows only last for about two hours on my eyes. If you keep running through different primers, go buy this now.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by mimi2811

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For me definitely the best eyeshadow primer I've tried. The formula seems thin in comparison to other primers e.g. Urban Decay but rest assured it really does hold eyeshadow in place all day. Would definitely recommend to everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2014 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Koolkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have a really, really tough time with my eye shadow sticking around. Some days it actually gone, gone, within an hour or so, even with primer, high end shadow and brushes. I've had mixed days with this stuff. I keep trying it in different ways with different shadows. BUT...I've found it works best for me with zero other products underneath after a freshly washed face (i.e. any kind of moisturizer or make-up remover) and a light layer of water based foundation sandwhiched between my shadow and the primer. It needs to dry, slightly, before adding the foundation, but don't let it dry too long otherwise I've had some cakey-ness show up with the foundation, just like happens if I let my face primer set too long before I put on my foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2014 9:04:00 AM More reviews by miwamoto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried a few different eye primers (UDPP, Bare Minerals Prime Time, MAC Paint Pots) and this one is the winner. It's not 100% perfect, sure, but it's the only one that keeps my eyeliner from traveling under my eyes. Caveat: I don't wear eyeshadow, only eyeliner, so I don't know whether this prevents eyeshadow creasing or prolongs eyeshadow wear.

This comes in a sleek looking white tube with a black handled applicator. The applicator itself is a doe foot, similar to what is used for lip gloss. A lot of people here have complained about this applicator, but it doesn't bother me. I do see how it would be hard to get all of the product out,though. (I'm still on my first tube, so I don't know how long it lasts before having to buy another one)

Pros: it's easy to use and the consistency is thin. It dries to a smooth, matte, transparent finish. I swipe this on right after I put on my BB cream and before my foundation and powder. This gives me enough time to let it set and dry before putting on eyeliner. Eyeliner goes on smoothly over it with no tugging. And it really makes my eyeliner last all day. Seriously, it doesn't budge until I take it off 12 - 14 h later. There is some fading in the corners where my eyes water, but no big deal. I use a biphasic eye makeup remover and have no problems removing it.

Cons: There is a bit of a learning curve in gauging how much to use. Too much and it makes you lashes white. I sometimes have to go back and pick it off my lashes, especially if I put it on in a rush. Also, I read here that a tube gets used up quickly. It's also pricey, but considering this is the only primer I've tried that works, I'm more than willing to fork over $25.00 for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2014 7:57:00 AM More reviews by jess2133

This is the first eyeshadow primer I've ever purchased and it is so so good. I have very oily eyelids that tend to make eyeshadow smudge within 4 hours. This basically prevents my lids from getting oily and cements the eyeshadow to my eyelids. I used this recently at my semi formal and there were zero smudges underneath my eyes at the end of the night. The only issue I have is the price, in Australia it retails $40, which is pretty ridiculous for a tiny tube of product but when I run out of this I will repurchase because it is just so good.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2014 11:08:00 PM More reviews by guitargirlsings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my go-to eyeshadow primer. It dries quickly and keeps eyeshadow from creasing on my otherwise oily eyelids for at least nine to ten hours. On me, it is colorless. So, depending upon the look I am creating, I sometimes layer another cream shadow over the NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow base.

I know there are complaints about the packaging. I do agree that the packaging makes it difficult to get every drop of product out. When it became difficult to get the primer out of my last tube, I cut the tube open and emptied the remaining contents into a small jar.

I think I am on my third tube. Each package generally lasts me six months or more. In the past, I have used the Urban Decay shadow primer. While it worked okay and generally kept my eyeshadow from creasing, I felt it made some matte shadows more difficult to blend. Also, when I purchased the larger tube of the UD primer, the tube broke and I had to empty the contents into a jar. As a result, I prefer the NARS primer and its packaging.

One caveat: If you use LaRoche Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light, do not put it on your eyelids before using the NARS shadow primer. The Anthelios mixes with the NARS primer and creates a sticky mixture. On the few occasions when I have gotten Anthelios on my lids and then used the NARS primer, the Anthelios rendered the NARS primer ineffective. Since I discovered this, I avoid putting the Anthelios on my lids. I also blot my lids with cotton to ensure there is no Anthelios residue.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by bih80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this formula. I love this product. However, I hate this packaging. I used this non-stop even worked on the bridal makeup I did, the girls had that makeup without smudging or creasing it works phenomenal but it was a pain to get the last bits out of the tube. I wish they would make a squeeze tube, it would use less plastic and it would be easier to get all the product out. Since it's not in this packaging I opt for the Lorac Primer which is my first choice on the basis of the packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by hendenm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

An excellent primer which dries very quickly and does not crease. The only other eye primer I use is Mac paint pot in painterly but my favourite is the Nars smudge proof base. The UDPP just causes my shadows to crease and after a while goes all gloopy so I stopped using that a while ago. The price for Nars smudge proof is some say expensive but I've had mine for 4 months and it's still going strong. I also like the applicator as there is no wastage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2014 5:02:00 PM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is pretty expensive for what it is, but I think it's worth it. It's not much more than the Urban Decay Primer Potion, but I like this better. The UDPP annoys me sometimes, though I used it for years, because it starts to separate in the tube and then gets greasy and makes my eyeshadow crease. The consistency of the NARS primer is far superior. The packaging isn't tacky, which seems trivial, but I'm all about packaging.
This works very well and I will repurchase.